Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rick posted:

Rockets - In a Ferrari or Jaguar switching four lanes, Ty Lawson with the top down screamin' "sobriety ain't a thang" as they finish the season with the NBA's best record before losing in the second round.

Unacceptable. I don't like it if it don't bling bling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Harden has Dwight. Curry has Thompson. James has Irving. And Durant has Westbrook.

Lebron had Eric Snow

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If I was Anthony Davis, I'd start asking every interviewer "Why can't I be MVP?"

Tae posted:

Lebron had Eric Snow

and played in the East.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
We need a gameday thread, no?

I'm so erect typing that

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Rick posted:

Rockets - In a Ferrari or Jaguar switching four lanes, Ty Lawson with the top down screamin' "sobriety ain't a thang" as they finish the season with the NBA's best record before losing in the second round.

And, aside from the luxury of the car, this will be completely indistinguishable from normal Houston traffic

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

PantsFreeZone posted:

We need a gameday thread, no?

I'm so erect typing that

....HOW are you typing it

This is v important

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
with a smile

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

PantsFreeZone posted:

with a smile

i just hope you can stay happy and humble if the Heat and the New Bro-Look Dolphins both stay good

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

EvanTH posted:

Ooo but doesn't Curry, Harden and a few occasional votes for Melo at MVP imply that outside of block/steal stats defense doesn't matter in the slightest bit for MVP voters?

I figure LeBron will probably once again be the best player in the NBA

Anyhow the strongest argument against Davis for MVP I think is what Zogo brought up a few pages ago, historically you need to be on a 1-2 contender to win and the Pelicans don't look like that yet.

Curry's defense is fine now

Bummed I'm gonna be in class for almost all of the season opener, will probably be furtively checking the score on my phone as often as possible. Go Dubs.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Go Suns. Please win the games I attend at least this season.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Anthony Davis is a freak of nature that we've never really seen before. People say he hasn't done anything yet but that's just not true. The things he has done have never been done before.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

Grizzlies - The Cessaro of professional basketball teams (a strong wrestler who is a throwback, and good, but not very flashy and will never win a title).

This is a good analogy

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Rick posted:

Blazers - Damian Lillard shakes his head in disgust at the team in December and flames burst out of his shoes as he rockets back to his home planet

I don't think it'll be that bad, but who knows.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Bashez posted:

Anthony Davis is a freak of nature that we've never really seen before. People say he hasn't done anything yet but that's just not true. The things he has done have never been done before.

Yeah you can buy into the narrative of needing to be a top 1 or 2 seed to get the award if you wish but really what else do you want from somebody to get mvp? If you want to say he's not refined defensively, it's not like defense is a huge consideration for mvp given the Steph Curry, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Derrick Rose mvps of recent seasons past

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Today is the day. It's raining, it's cold, it's dark, but it's one of the best days of the year.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Bashez posted:

It's not nice to draw attention to the man's facial deformities

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Looks like Hardaway Jr. will start the season as a healthy DND for the Hawks. What the hell, Bud

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I have made a thread in which to post on this day of games http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748776

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lockback posted:

538 builds interesting models but don't seem interested in refining them at all and just take the outputs as truth. Their analysis is always strange.

Yeah sometimes they're interesting but a lot of their poo poo doesn't pass sanity checks. And then their analysis is "welp, this is what the computer says" instead of contextualizing what it actually means.

I mean maybe they're computer generated lists that say stupid poo poo work good for getting them clickbait links, but it's bad stats interpretation and bad basketball analysis

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Let's go NBA! So excited for this, Long time bulls fan (thanks Jordan) but have a soft spot for the young buck Timberwolves and mi hombre Rubio!!

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Carlos Boozer explains why he painted his head, dickpunching refs and his fight with Prince: http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/10/carlos-boozer-explains-what-happened-hair

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My bold 2015-2016 NBA prediction: The Sacramento Kings will surprise everyone by not being a dumpster fire

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah you can buy into the narrative of needing to be a top 1 or 2 seed to get the award if you wish but really what else do you want from somebody to get mvp?

It's not a "narrative" it's a fact.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

dokmo posted:

It's not a "narrative" it's a fact.

I meant you can debate on whether it's an appropriate requirement or not, I just worded it poorly cuz i'm sooo excited for basketball

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this poo poo: get it out of here
https://vine.co/v/eYgwWdiarq3

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Hawks seem... insecure after that game.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hoiberg is our savior.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Why on earth is that MN/LAL game on national TV this early in the season?

KOBE VS. KG.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Which random player is going to drop 50 in a game this year?

I'm wondering who will be the first to reach 13 threes in a game. With the 3PAs increasing every year it's bound to happen soon. You'd think the two guys to hit twelve would have done it sooner than 10+ years back.

code:
	Donyell Marshall	12 	2005-03-13 	TOR
  	Kobe Bryant		12 	2003-01-07 	LAL
 	Kyrie Irving		11 	2015-01-28 	CLE
  	Klay Thompson		11 	2015-01-23 	GSW
  	Deron Williams		11 	2013-03-08 	BRK
  	Stephen Curry		11 	2013-02-27 	GSW
  	J.R. Smith		11 	2009-04-13 	DEN
  	Dennis Scott		11 	1996-04-18 	ORL
 	Stephen Curry		10 	2015-02-04 	GSW
  	J.R. Smith		10 	2014-04-06 	NYK
  	Trevor Ariza		10 	2014-02-12 	WAS
  	Terrence Ross		10 	2014-01-25 	TOR
  	Chandler Parsons	10 	2014-01-24 	HOU
  	C.J. Miles		10 	2014-01-07 	CLE
  	Joe Johnson		10 	2013-12-16 	BRK
  	Mario Chalmers		10 	2013-01-12 	MIA
  	Ty Lawson		10 	2011-04-09 	DEN
  	J.R. Smith		10 	2009-12-23 	DEN
  	Peja Stojakovic		10 	2007-11-06 	NOH
  	Ray Allen		10 	2002-04-14 	MIL
  	George McCloud		10 	1995-12-16 	DAL
  	Joe Dumars		10 	1994-11-08 	DET
  	Brian Shaw		10 	1993-04-08 	MIA

Athanatos posted:

Did I miss the SAS preseason poll results or are they not out yet?

Hopefully within the next week.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lebron actually looked kinda slow/human tonight :eyepop:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
OOp wrong thread.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Wow he successfully developed a several hundred thousand dollar robot to inefficiently mimic the employment of a low-wage security guard but with less flexibility then named it after the child molesting burglar from the Always Sunny In Philadelphia musical and yet his team still can't make the playoffs ???

although I am very excited to see stunning high definition footage of that robot getting its rear end kicked

It's only the beginning. In the future NBA owners may get annoyed with their plebeian fans loitering in the parking lot and send out weaponized robots.

First step:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGzf0S0WqI

Second step:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk_wRj64aes

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

PantsFreeZone posted:

Carlos Boozer explains why he painted his head, dickpunching refs and his fight with Prince: http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/10/carlos-boozer-explains-what-happened-hair

I could not click that faster if Boozer sent that himself in an e-mail that said HEY HEY HEY HEY CLICK THAT poo poo JO

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Away all Goats posted:

He went 25-10-5 on 55% shooting with a bad back, he looked fine

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

He was pretty much scoring at will in the fourth quarter until Pau decided to use his weekly-allotted jump.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
If anything, Pau looked rough as poo poo. Like he's getting to that "somewhat active mummy" stage

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pau looked really out of place. Not sure what kind of fit he'll be in the offense this season. Still valuable to have but I think their best lineup frontcourt might be Niko/Noah or Niko/Taj depending on whether Noah's knee is healthy this season. I think they would have closed with Niko and Noah had he not banged knees and been held out.

Niko also loving owns and the spacing is much better with him on the court. Thought he was great tonight except at the end when he decided to leave Love wide open for 3 in a situation where the only thing that could get the Cavs back in the game was hitting a couple 3's.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Curry just got erased by Davis, no clue how they didn't call that a foul

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
The World Series just went to the 13th inning, for those of you who care.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cool Buff Man posted:

He went 25-10-5 on 55% shooting with a bad back, he looked fine

I was half kidding but it was funny when he stole the ball and nobody followed him for an easy alley oop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Away all Goats posted:

Man we just loving did this last year

• Locked thread