Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Guess what day it is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrstxuicZk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

Notes on Kirk Goldsberry's new article on Russell Westbrook
grantland.com/features/russell-the-creator-westbrook-nba-oklahoma-city-thunder-western-conference-kevin-durant-serge-ibaka-kevin-love

1)

THIS IS A BULLSHIT ANALOGY EVERYTHING "GREAT" ASSOCIATED WITH LUCAS WAS THEFT NOT ORIGINAL CREATION*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qJ4BmXjY9I
EDUCATE YOURSELF

2) https://vine.co/v/O0U2q0FKmPa
:aaa: :aaaaa: :supaburn: :swoon: :supaburn: :aaaaa: :aaa: I'm so happy NBA is back

*speaking of theft, the vulgar thug Thabo Sefolosha stole a ball 4 times last game he's a great defender but a remorseless criminal

Russ is going to average 10+ assists this year

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even though he destroyed UD and stole a ring from my team, I probably love Dirk more than Hasselfhoff. And I looooooooove Hasselhoff.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

How does this work? PS4 app or something, or is there a way to get it on Verizon Fios?

just to add to morestuff's recommendation, league pass has been running really well on PS4 for me the last few weeks (lol preseason basketball). Probably the best platform I've found for LP over the years.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

alansmithee posted:

I'm thinking like 30 mpg or so. Didn't Curry only play like 31 mpg last year?
Reducing your best player's minutes comes pretty naturally when your average margin of victory is more than 11 points per game.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Thunder Up bitches! I'm excited for the Billy Donovan era in OKC and look forward to see Westbrook destroy the world.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
Since my NFL team is doing crap this season, i've decided to start following the NBA too. Since I don't have a geographic link to any NBA team, i'm in that place where I still don't really have a team to root for. Sure, the Warriors are fun and LeBron is insanely good, but hell if i'm going for one of those teams.

I'm kind of gravitating towards the Bucks because they are a young team, how's expectations for them this season?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

E_Motion posted:

Since my NFL team is doing crap this season, i've decided to start following the NBA too. Since I don't have a geographic link to any NBA team, i'm in that place where I still don't really have a team to root for. Sure, the Warriors are fun and LeBron is insanely good, but hell if i'm going for one of those teams.

I'm kind of gravitating towards the Bucks because they are a young team, how's expectations for them this season?

Well, they are a team that wins by defense so understand that going in. They'll be fun with Jabari Parker doing things. They have a pretty good shot at making the playoffs this year, but they are in the East so that might not be so special.

Kibner posted:

I think so.

He does not have very good handles, though. If they were Lamar Odom level, that would be great, but they're not. He can make one or two quick dribbles and go up. He will turn it over if he is pressured by multiple defenders or has to dribble more than a couple times.

His turnover rate has been low because, before this season, he wasn't asked to facilitate the offense. He got the ball where he could score (off of passes or offensive rebounds) or he would pass it back out. He doesn't really have great passing vision, either. As a result, he rarely had to make tough decisions when getting the ball; just had to shoot, dunk, or reset.

He has one or two post-moves, but can't handle double teams, yet. Those moves also don't work when the paint is crowded because they involve him spinning or just driving to the rim after starting from 10-15 feet out. He used to have fantastic touch within five feet of the goal, but that seems to have gone away as defenses have become more physical with him.

I mean, this makes him sound like he was pedestrian on offense. He had a usage rate of almost 28% and a TS% of just under 60%. That is elite. He had a bad game last night, but he was a legit MVP-level player last season, and arguably the best player overall, which is a feat considering several guys had huge seasons last year.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 28, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Thunder Up bitches! I'm excited for the Billy Donovan era in OKC and look forward to see Westbrook destroy the world.

:hellyeah:

E_Motion posted:

They should make the playoffs as a low seed

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Well, they are a team that wins by defense so understand that going in. They'll be fun with Jabari Parker doing things. They have a pretty good shot at making the playoffs this year, but they are in the East so that might not be so special.

I mean, this makes him sound like he was pedestrian on offense. He had a usage rate of almost 28% and a TS% of just under 60%. That is elite. He had a bad game last night, but he was a legit MVP-level player last season, and arguably the best player overall, which is a feat considering several guys had huge seasons last year.

He is a pick and roll/pop monster. Also, putbacks. He isn't creating offense with the ball in his hands for himself or others very often.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

He looks like the forgotten member of Boyz II Men.

Metapod posted:

They should make the playoffs as a low seed

* in the East, which is trash. Bucks are a solid choice, though.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

Kibner always sounds like hes not excited about AD cuz he's watched every game he's ever played but rest assured he'd die without him

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
AD puts huge pressure on the opposing team's defense because of his ability to finish at the rim and hit mid-range jumpers. He is also pretty good at offensive rebounds. He struggled last night for a few reasons:

• GSW has fantastic team defense to go along with good-to-great individual defenders. They used this to punish the PGs, swarm Davis, push him into uncomfortable spots, and keep him off the boards.
  • The PGs he was playing with are bad. They also haven't been with the team long and it shows (Nate for <2 weeks, Ish for <24 hours)
  • He missed several jumpers and around-the-basket shots he normally makes
  • He hesitated on his shots instead of taking them in rhythm

Davis still requires someone to get him the ball when he is in good positions and have competent enough teammates to not get triple teamed in order to score effectively. He got none of that last night.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 28, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Perk was fire last night :colbert:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Davis is not Lebron or Shaq. He racks up point totals like an assassin more than a commando.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

Kibner always sounds like hes not excited about AD cuz he's watched every game he's ever played but rest assured he'd die without him

Pretty much. He is fantastic at many things on offense. The hope is that this is just another learning curve because he hasn't had to be the main point the offense runs through before. The offense has typically been based around him, but he hasn't had to be the primary playmaker with the ball in his hands.

Remember that his mid-range jumper was trash his rookie season. It was an elite shot for him last year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Rockets play a game in less than four hours and I'm super excited

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

I would love to play NBA basketball in a monogrammed short sleeved long underwear top.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

Lockback posted:

I'm a Ravens fan. Frustrating offense and having the defense bail the team out is pretty much what i'm used to.

Also i'm watching last night's NO-GS game, was Steph Curry always this insanely good? I'm pretty amazed by his play so far

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The Raptors will win more games this year. This is my fact.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

E_Motion posted:

I'm a Ravens fan. Frustrating offense and having the defense bail the team out is pretty much what i'm used to.

Also i'm watching last night's NO-GS game, was Steph Curry always this insanely good? I'm pretty amazed by his play so far

Steph is mutant created in a lab to be impossible to guard. He is really, really good. That first quarter was frickin amazing, but he does routinely win games by himself. The whole GSW team is pretty great.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Steph is unstoppable now that his ankles have been secretly regrown from stem cells in a lab

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

E_Motion posted:

He has always shown flashes of it, but was frequently ruined by injury or poor defense. He has stayed healthy the last few years, improved his defense, and further improved his shot and handles.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
someone link that lil video of him slipping on the wet floor and draining it in Clarkson's face

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Bucks are an acquired taste. If you want to avoid a front runner pick but want some success this year, go with the Rockets, Thunder or Clippers.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

E_Motion posted:

Pretty close, although his first few years in the league were marred by injury issues and some misuse. Basically his range is anything past the half-court line and he can get his shot off instantly. He's also got extremely good handles and is a great passer. But it's that shot that really separates him and makes him unique-he can get it off pretty much at will so guarding him is extremely difficult, especially cause he'll still just pull up right over someone and hit a good number.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You could also hop on the Lakers bandwagon, it'll be rough for the next couple of years but it pays off for long periods pretty regularly v:shobon:v

Speaking of, Russell is gonna start tonight.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Rick posted:

You could also hop on the Lakers bandwagon, it'll be rough for the next couple of years but it pays off for long periods pretty regularly v:shobon:v

Speaking of, Russell is gonna start tonight.

What's Clarkson gonna do? SG?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

warcrimes posted:

What's Clarkson gonna do? SG?

They're gonna move Kobe to the front court and Clarkson at the 2. So, expect Wiggins to have a nice night offensively, hahah.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

E_Motion posted:

like defense? hate offense? enjoy having a cast of characters as your team? have i got a squad for you, brother

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Root for the Detroit Andre Drummonds so you can watch a man rebound the ball while simultaneously killing everyone in his vicinity. Also the team throws a lot of sweet lobs

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Come be a Nuggets fan. Our mascot hanged himself on live TV and one of our players has a tattoo of a baby on his throat. That's about it, really

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

rabidsquid posted:

Root for the Detroit Andre Drummonds so you can watch a man rebound the ball while simultaneously killing everyone in his vicinity. Also the team throws a lot of sweet lobs

And this:

Cheer for the loving Pistons. We need you.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Don't root for the Pacers, you're welcome.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ozymandius1024 posted:

And this:

Cheer for the loving Pistons. We need you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YucvWt7CNn4

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

like defense? hate offense? enjoy having a cast of characters as your team? have i got a squad for you, brother

Yeah, definitely check out a Grizzlies home game, E_Motion. They seem to be right up your alley style/personality wise.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the clippers are the best imo

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007