Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hobby Lobby, a craft store that is so Christian they would not provide contraception through health insurance, is in trouble with Feds.

Turns out the owners, pictured below, were engaging in illegal acts.

quote:

Federal authorities are investigating whether the owners of Hobby Lobby illegally imported stolen artifacts for their planned Museum of the Bible.

U.S. Customs agents seized up to 300 small clay tablets shipped from Israel in 2011 to the Christian business owners’ headquarters in Oklahoma City,

and this is not just a one time thing

quote:

A senior law enforcement official confirmed to the website that the Green family, which owns the arts and crafts retailer, has been under investigation for the last four years for illegally importing cultural artifacts from Iraq.

The Green Family is building a bible museum in DC, set to open in 2017.

The Greens say it is just a paperwork issue but the reality is much worse.

quote:

But a source familiar with the Hobby Lobby investigation told The Daily Beast that the clay tablets were described on their FedEx shipping labels as “hand-crafted clay tiles” worth about $300 each — far less than their true worth — and does not indicate they are part of the cultural heritage of Iraq.

These artifacts are from most likely the historical museums in Iraq that were looted by Iraqis.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/hobby-lobbys-christian-owners-under-federal-investigation-for-importing-looted-bible-artifacts-from-iraq/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
It's all a conspiracy drummed up by lamestream media and homosexuALS

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Grrr so mad at right wing man grr grr if this was europe they would already be in jail due top wrong think there'as no such thing as freedom of speech.

grrr grrr

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
GBS stands with hobby lobby :911:

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
So these guys are funding ISIS? What a world.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
kinda weird to think that Hobby Lobby directly profited from looting in Iraq, but here you go

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Hobby Lobby and ISIS? Makes sense.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Grrr so mad at right wing man grr grr if this was europe they would already be in jail due top wrong think there'as no such thing as freedom of speech.

grrr grrr

I'm not feeling the reap like I used to

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hooded Reptile posted:

So these guys are funding ISIS? What a world.

I don't see what's so strange about a US corp paying its taxes.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Prav posted:

a US corp paying its taxes.

Wait no I see it now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Good, gently caress those assholes.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
the british museum is full of Important Cultural Artifacts from pretty much every place in the world but lets get mad at hobby lobby

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Worthless dumbass boomer christians doing illegal stuff?

Hah, thats new and exciting!

:rolleyes:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Great. Now I'm giving money to Bible-thumpers AND terrorists.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

kindermord posted:

the british museum is full of Important Cultural Artifacts from pretty much every place in the world but lets get mad at hobby lobby
Lets not even bring up that many women find abortion appalling in itself and the casualiszation of abortion makes them disgusted.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
it'd be much better if the tablets were in the hands of ISIS, so they can be disposed of properly like all idolatrous artifacts (inshallah)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
oh wait they stole artifacts from places that regularly destroy historical artifacts.

They should be deemed heroes

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

kindermord posted:

well its different when a corporation does it, thats a new thing thats never happened before.

welcome to the age of corporate warfare

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I look forward to going on a 3day vodka and indian food binge and visiting this new museum and depositing some artifacts in that brand new glistening restroom off of the gift shop, thanks OP.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Oh my illegally importing artifacts from iraq

Let us give them back to the iraqi people who have always shown the utmost care in the safekeeping of the history of their own nation.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Basic Poster posted:

I look forward to going on a 3day vodka and indian food binge and visiting this new museum and depositing some artifacts in that brand new glistening restroom off of the gift shop, thanks OP.

Dude do that in the Utah Statehouse, their toilets cost 2 million dollars each because they're solid marble pieces.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
If you're pulling something off, don't do other poo poo to get the cops' attention.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

gently caress and I needed to get more paint for my imperial guard regiment

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

gleebster posted:

If you're pulling something off, don't do other poo poo to get the cops' attention.

The laws of GOD are higher than the laws of man.

Gay Hitler posted:

Same, but Necrons. :(

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
these art thieves should have their hands cut off and sent to Iraq as a gesture of goodwill

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gay Hitler posted:

do they even sell model paint? I thought it was all wicker baskets and cheap wrought iron decorations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

The Taint Reaper posted:

Let us give them back to the iraqi people who have always shown the utmost care in the safekeeping of the history of their own nation.

hosed up and true... not reaped at all here

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
OP every story I'm reading has the stolen tablets be linked to a shady dealer who sold things under false pretenses.

Hobby Lobby also doesn't seem to be the only affected organization and there are many other legitimate museums who apparently used the same guy to procure stuff and are also in the same hot water.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

OMFG FURRY posted:

well its different when a corporation does it, thats a new thing thats never happened before.

welcome to the age of corporate warfare

it sounds like they bought some lumps of clay with cuneiform scribbles and there are hundreds of thousands of those, many of which are privately owned. i get that antiquity looting is a problem but what is an illegal artifact and what isn't is huge clusterfuck of question marks. it's pretty clear this whole thing is a way to grief hobby lobby for being wrongthinkers and that's ok it's just that you should admit that. if your real interest is protecting antiquities then hobby lobby is the smallest fish in the sea.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Drunkboxer posted:

do they even sell model paint? I thought it was all wicker baskets and cheap wrought iron decorations.

Not true! There's so much you can get at Hobby Lobby! Practically anything craft related! And it's really inexpensive! I'm sure there's one near you!

(if you're in the southern US)

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Mods knew

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mad Monk posted:

Mods knew

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

phasmid posted:

Not true! There's so much you can get at Hobby Lobby! Practically anything craft related! And it's really inexpensive! I'm sure there's one near you!

(if you're in the southern US)

i think you're lying

more like slobby knobby

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

The Taint Reaper posted:

Lol if you don't detonate national treasures in the name of allah and traditional values while driving off on two wheels of a new japanese tundra firing russian weapons bumping M.I.A.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

Basic Poster posted:

Lol if you don't detonate national treasures in the name of allah and traditional values while driving off on two wheels of a new japanese tundra firing russian weapons bumping M.I.A.

a bulldozer is more efficient :colbert:

most efficient of all is tricking obama into thinking a Big Meeting is in progress and you pile up antiquities and your prisoners in a huge pile and let a j-dam take care of the whole thing

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

The Taint Reaper posted:

Dude do that in the Utah Statehouse, their toilets cost 2 million dollars each because they're solid marble pieces.

Goddamn, I'd poo poo in those toilets

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I don't want them to shut Hobby Lobby down. Where am I going to get bins full of multi-colored pom-poms or small plastic horses?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I hope the government kills them

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is like Dinosaur Adventure Land all over again. When will our greedy atheist government stop oppressing innocent tax-dodging Christian frauds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Hobby Lobby did nothing wrong. No, really. The person who sold them teh artifacts is 100 percent culpable unless they had foreknowledge that the artifacts were property of the iraqi people and not being privately sold

• Locked thread