Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Fagballzson posted:

You do know that casual chain sitdown places actually have far worse calorie counts and are usually way worse for you than any fast food, right?

That's definitely true though. The reason it tastes good even though it's not very high quality food is because it is loaded with fat/sugar/butter and it makes it super calorie dense.

Depends on what you get obv, you can just get a salad without drowning it in ranch + bacon bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

That's definitely true though. The reason it tastes good even though it's not very high quality food is because it is loaded with fat/sugar/butter and it makes it super calorie dense.

Depends on what you get obv, you can just get a salad without drowning it in ranch + bacon bits.
I hit a denny's for the first time in a while a bit back and their menu had calories of pretty much every dish on there as well as icons for healthier options, I haven't actually been to an applebees in forever so I dunno if that's the case there but I imagine this is common among all chain restaurants now.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Nutrition is the only reason I eat where I do, who cares about taste?!?! Lmbo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
beep boop

*farts*

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dick Fagballzson posted:

You do know that casual chain sitdown places actually have far worse calorie counts and are usually way worse for you than any fast food, right?
well no poo poo, i don't go to outback steakhouse with the intention of eating healthy

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Chinatown posted:

beep boop

*farts*

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

symbolic posted:

well no poo poo, i don't go to outback steakhouse with the intention of eating healthy

Yeah because you're not a tard. But you'd be surprised how many Americans think these places are "healthier" than fast food. It's actually a big part of the worsening obesity crisis and shows that Americans still don't understand how nutrition works.

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax
hi i'll take 2 bloomin onions please

*turns to date*

:smug:

im gay eating healthy today

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
01100111 01100001 01110011

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

Chinatown posted:

01100111 01100001 01110011

oh, you're one of the sadbrains that can't stop posting in threads they don't like. i getcha.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hashtag GBS posted:

oh, you're one of the sadbrains that can't stop posting in threads they don't like. i getcha.

01100001 00100000 01100010 01101100 01101111 01101111 00100000 01100010 01101100 01101111 01101111

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hashtag GBS posted:

chinntown usually posts good stuff, but since dgsw got banned, he's taken over his position of "off-topic yet somehow popular shitposter"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im not popular but thank you for your support (?)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Chinatown posted:

you're popular to me

:love:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
also for some reason this thread makes me want to go to Souplantation.

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

symbolic posted:

chinntown usually posts good stuff, but since dgsw got banned, he's taken over his position of "off-topic yet somehow popular shitposter"

i dont disagree w the first part but i take people on a thread by thread basis

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I hit a denny's for the first time in a while a bit back and their menu had calories of pretty much every dish on there as well as icons for healthier options, I haven't actually been to an applebees in forever so I dunno if that's the case there but I imagine this is common among all chain restaurants now.

It's definitely becoming more of a thing, yeah, especially with places like Denny's.

Research shows that people feel better just having the option and THINKING about getting the healthier item even if they end up ordering what they normally do though so it's kind of a double edged sword a little bit. Like just thinking about choosing to eat healthy makes you feel like you did eat healthier and now you can load up on calories guilt free.

Human brains are dumb sometimes.

quote:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/599219?prevSearch=%28Gavan+Fitzsimons%29+AND+[journal%3A+jcr]&searchHistoryKey=&

Results demonstrate that individuals are, ironically, more likely to make indulgent food choices when a healthy item is available compared to when it is not available.

Two other test menus showed the same effect. “We also had participants choose from menus contrasting a bacon cheeseburger, chicken sandwich and fish sandwich with a veggie burger,” Block said. “And we tried chocolate covered Oreos, original Oreos and golden Oreos against a 100-calorie pack of Oreos and obtained the same result.”

“Adding the healthier option caused people with high self-control to choose the least healthy option possible. Even though it was not their first choice before the healthy option was included,” Block said.

The effect is most pronounced on people who otherwise have high self control which is double hilarious to me.

People like to pretend like advertising and psychology has no effect on their purchasing decisions like they are somehow the only immune human but it's just not true.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 28, 2015

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

dgsw will arise again. poo poo postier than ever.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Why not use capital letters and punctuation? What a dumb post.

yeah sure lemme just act like the pope of capitalization lol you're a dipshit

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Chinatown posted:

Hey b b don't be so down on yourself I love u for who u r

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

proof of concept posted:

yeah sure lemme just act like the pope of capitalization lol you're a dipshit
Do you not get why its kinda dumb to complain about someone using shorthand while doing more or less the same thing yourself?

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

Do you not get why its kinda dumb to complain about someone using shorthand while doing more or less the same thing yourself?

christ shut up

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

get food, you big dumb idiot

Lol I'm serious though

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I'm so glad this went from being a standard-issue boringthread to a discussion of how knowledgeable goons are after being a loving busboy to this bullshit right here

hey post "eat in better restaurants" a few more times that was the good stuff

you guys are great

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

I'm so glad this went from being a standard-issue boringthread to a discussion of how knowledgeable goons are after being a loving busboy to this bullshit right here

you guys are great

And then theres whatever abortion of a whiny bitchpost this is

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tujague posted:

you guys are great

why are you like this in every single thread you're in?

here we all are amicably discussing food and jizz and you're just making GBS threads the place up for no reason

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Moridin920 posted:

why are you like this in every single thread you're in?
here we all are amicably discussing food and jizz and you're just making GBS threads the place up for no reason

Moridin920 posted:

idk I've worked in a few restaurants
maybe another reason to not eat at lovely restaurants where the cooks don't give a gently caress about what they're putting out :shrug:

Moridin920 posted:

yeah or just go to nicer restaurants

Moridin920 posted:

so it's kind of a moot point is it not?

Moridin920 posted:

I've worked in open kitchens

Moridin920 posted:

as you like.
usually cooks/chefs do care about what they are serving just as a point of pride

Moridin920 posted:

The reality of the situation is
yeah most places are bad about it.
Go to better restaurants.

Moridin920 posted:

uh Costco is awesome but you're not going to get the high quality fresh stuff

Moridin920 posted:

Research shows that people feel better just having the
Human brains are dumb sometimes.
The effect is most pronounced on people who otherwise have high self control which is double hilarious to me.
People like to pretend like advertising and psychology has no effect on their purchasing decisions like they are somehow the only immune human but it's just not true.

oh yeah sorry bro didn't mean to bust up your lighthearted, highly comedic joke volleys about restaurants
by suggesting that you're a blowhard know-it-all human being that talks about himself constantly,
can't imagine why you we've covered this sort of thing before what a loving mystery
god drat can you please loving shoot yourself

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

oh yeah sorry bro didn't mean to bust up your lighthearted, highly comedic joke volleys about restaurants
by suggesting that you're a blowhard know-it-all human being that talks about himself constantly,
can't imagine why you we've covered this sort of thing before what a loving mystery

Maybe you should avoid these threads in the future if you get so upset by them

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tujague posted:

hahahahaha look at all that effort you just went through

ay just don't read threads you don't like maybe :)

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

is p much how i envision his angerposting irl

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
No, you're right. I'm sorry. Go back to the hilarious, carefree effortless poo poo you were posting before I piped up. The real funny stuff where totally doesn't seem like anyone is straining. It was loving rocking. My bad.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean my god I'm glad you came in and told me I was actually not a genius to think all this time I thought I wasn't shitposting

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

No, you're right. I'm sorry. Go back to the hilarious, carefree effortless poo poo you were posting before I piped up. The real funny stuff where totally doesn't seem like anyone is straining. It was loving rocking. My bad.

Have you even chimed in on the subject or are you here to effort metapost

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Hashtag GBS posted:

so pizza hut?

For some bizarre reason, the pizza hut closest to me always looks clean, is staffed by adults, and serves good (for a chain takeout restaurant) pizza whereas every other pizza hut I've ever been to is horrible. Maybe it's an experiment with paying adults higher wages as opposed to paying a teenager minimum wage or something.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 2, 2015

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
why do goons hate ranch dressing? buttermilk ranch is delicious af y'all

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I took my daughter to Applebees last night and it was a quick and enjoyable and predictable experience, 7/10.

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

ashgromnies posted:

why do goons hate ranch dressing? buttermilk ranch is delicious af y'all

they dont, they just hate the part of them that desperately wants to dump it on everything they eat but are too ashamed to actually be able to enjoy it

Lowtax posted:

I took my daughter to Applebees last night and it was a quick and enjoyable and predictable experience, 7/10.

yea its almost like a restaurant like applebees serves a purpose & accomplishes that purpose well

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
appledeezNUTZ

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lowtax posted:

What the heck tax man? You didn't invite me? Rude IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Hashtag GBS posted:

yea its almost like a restaurant like applebees serves a purpose & accomplishes that purpose well

their purpose is to serve garbage food to garbage people and you're garbage too if you don't eat homemade food with fresh ingredients from the farmer's market or at expensive, non-chain restauraunts.

• Locked thread