Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

What if a bunch of superhumans written about in fictional stories existed at the same time? Wait, are we sure this hasn't been done before? Anyways...

Concrete Revolutio is a new anime by Studio Bones. It's a bright colorful action show with like-able characters and an interesting world. It takes itself just seriously enough but not too seriously (I hope). Watch as the rag-tag members of the Superhuman Bureau, an organization under the Ministry of Health and Welfare, deal with overseeing and protecting superhumans from the public.

Characters:

Jiro Hitoyoshi - The "average human" member of the Bureau with a mysterious past. May or may not be a chuuni.

Kikko Hoshino - The not-really-main main girl character. A waitress with sorcerer powers.

Fuurouta - The bishy prankster kid character. He's some sort of shape-shifting ghost, no one really knows.

Emi Kino - The classy lady character. She's a fox spirit or something with a super scary serious mode.

...And more!

The OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgBFwuSQzS8
The :psyduck::hf::lsd: ED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JZ1chYDTaQ

Official website: http://concreterevolutio.com/en

Watch here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This show is cool and fun and has a good robot.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Is everyone else pronouncing Revolutio like you would Mercutio?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's bright and colorful and cool as hell.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Admoon posted:

I certainly am.

Show is fun and stylish as hell. Ep 4's unlocking scene was everything I could have wanted. Been waiting so long for them locks.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Admoon posted:

I wrote Revolutionario every single time I tried typing the title.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

This show owns and is fun and I'm super curious to see where it's going!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Droyer posted:

This show is cool and fun and has a good robot.

Ugh why would you say that I was thinking about watching this!

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
This show is pretty much what everybody expected Samurai Flamenco to be upon seeing that original poster.

It's great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I like this show and I hope the twist ends up interesting enough to sustain it.

Also, AnacondaHL hosed up by not making the thread title "Concrete Revolutio - The Times, They Are A-Changin'." :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As a note on the year cards that they show, the year is analogous to the Showa era year shown so year 41 is 1967 and year 47 is 1973. Iirc, the latest episode is year 19 which is 1945. The war they refer to is likely some variation of WW2

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I like this show and I hope the twist ends up interesting enough to sustain it.

Also, AnacondaHL hosed up by not making the thread title "Concrete Revolutio - The Times, They Are A-Changin'." :colbert:

I am an unfunny person and have no idea what the connection between Bob Dylan and this anime is.

Reds posted:

This show is pretty much what everybody expected Samurai Flamenco to be upon seeing that original poster.

It's great.

Hmm, close. This is more like anime Avengers or something.

Not to dismiss the possibility of this show "pulling a Samflam" and going completely off the rails after a solid start though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

I am an unfunny person and have no idea what the connection between Bob Dylan and this anime is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSoC_KHu4_A

Someone overdubbed it with someone else singing, from the sounds of it, but the film intro has the Dylan version.

e; also acceptable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgcc5V9Hu3g&t=49s :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 28, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AnacondaHL posted:

People have compared it's mish-mash of superhero tropes and alt-history to Watchmen, The Times They Are A Changin' was used for the opening montage (and only good bit) of the Watchmen movie.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah that.

Anyway, am i on crack or was Emi definitely masquerading as the Kaiju-maker lady?

I might just watch all the episodes again, I'm really loving it.

Looking forward to learning both why Jiro left and why Kiko stayed, since it seems like many of the things that lead to the former could easily have lead her down the same path.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Reds posted:

It's great.

I think SamFlam is exactly what it tried to be, which was not this.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Wow, this is pretty much a parody of anime minus the self awareness. It's like they just mashed together a bunch of genre conventions and called it a day.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Do you just aspire to hate anything other people like?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its anime as gently caress, so naturally if you like anime you'll like it.

and I like anime, because anime is good

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ViggyNash posted:

Do you just aspire to hate anything other people like?
The number of serious posts Pavlov has ever made on this subforum is zero.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's also the number of good/funny/interesting ones

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Bad Seafood posted:

The number of serious posts Pavlov has ever made on this subforum is zero.
He made some serious posts in the SNAFU thread.

That show brings out the best in people. Except for the people who didn't like it for some crazed reason.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's also the number of good/funny/interesting ones
Japanese slapjack gave me a chuckle.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I am what your people might call "A Tsundere"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

Japanese slapjack gave me a chuckle.

oh, that's why his name rings a bell.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

As a note on the year cards that they show, the year is analogous to the Showa era year shown so year 41 is 1967 and year 47 is 1973. Iirc, the latest episode is year 19 which is 1945. The war they refer to is likely some variation of WW2

Hence why it played a major role in the kaiju episode. Remember what Godzilla started off as a blatant allegory for?

I'm also gonna link this again - yep, Fuurota's insect genocide was a historical reference, too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm not sure why I didn't really notice before, but drat the ED is cool.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I just watched the first episode of this, and it's weird. I think I like it? Enough to watch another episode or two, at least.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I just watched the first episode of this, and it's weird. I think I like it? Enough to watch another episode or two, at least.

I would advise giving the show a four episode rule, episode four is notably more coherent than the first three.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I still don't know what to make of this dumb crazy poo poo. Like, every ep, I'm like"OK, impress me Bones. Let this be the ep that finally makes all this gobbledeegook click," and another week will go by and I'll know even less than when I started.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's not very dumb or very crazy, honestly, but they're taking their sweet time getting to the twist. My original guess was it'd show up 4-5 episodes in and the rest of the series would take place in 47, but they might stick with being set primarily in the past until halfway through. Kind of hope that's not the case, as it would afford them way more latitude to lose the plot.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Someone over at Kinja's anime blog has put everything in the first four episodes in chronological order:

http://anitay.kinja.com/making-sense-of-the-concrete-revolutio-timeline-so-far-1738566900

My big takeaway is to look to Jiro for indications as to the year: Is he bandaged? Does he have a scarf?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I mean, you can also just read the title cards that give you the year. :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Today on Concrete Revolutio

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So yeah, after these last two episodes, it's becoming pretty easy to see why Jiro turned on the Superhuman Bureau.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Definitely, I'm still curious to find out why Kikko and Fuurouta stayed considering all the deception.

e: this episode seemed like it was only five minutes long

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just watched the first episode and I don't know what the gently caress

I guess it's fun in how fast it throws a mishmash of absolutely everything under the sun at you? I don't know. It's pretty stylish, in any case.

Let's see where this goes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

Definitely, I'm still curious to find out why Kikko and Fuurouta stayed considering all the deception.

I get the feeling that Fuurouta's nature as an inherently child-like entity means he's bad at thinking for himself and just wants to stick around (hence why he was too stupid to understand the virus in episode 3). Also, it feels like Kikko's not exactly a saint (she has zero issues with all the deception), but I'd definitely be interested in knowing more about her motivations.

I forget and can't check right now, but does future Kikko still have her familiar?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I forget and can't check right now, but does future Kikko still have her familiar?

I don't recall him showing up, but my memory can be stupid sometimes.

Like, for example, is Time Guy (i forget his name) in any future scenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It really hard to get all of the political parallels from this series without having actually studied 20th Century Japanese History. Okinawan occupation by the US parallels the real world one and in some instances Kaiju (the Sub uses Beast) mean Nuclear Power, but could also represent personal rights as the beast attacks probably correlate with the various student and labor protests happening at the time (Jiro's first encounter is in 1960 and the episode takes place in 1968).

This is definitely Japanese Watchmen.

Question: What do the kanji in "Shinka" mean when they use it in the date cards? Showa (昭和) means radiant peace or harmony from what I can gather from Wikipedia

• Locked thread