Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Nice part about catching this late is being able to watch the first half in one sitting... and only waiting two months for the next half :)

Great show, some of the animation is fantastic.

I like how most episodes have insert songs. I'm guessing each song is a reference to something, but I have no idea as to what.
Soundtrack as a whole is sooo good. Detective Shiba's theme :swoon:

Theowulv fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Second half has started.

Yep things are confusing.

The Beginning was a better ending theme.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ha, so Robot Detective didn't have an epiphany which made him change sides. He just went nuts and then went more nuts by plugging an alien android's brain chip into the back of his head.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Welcome back, you crazy show you.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Welcome back, you crazy show you.

Oh my god, I'm so glad it's back.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm so happy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We're back with 100% more spooky Youkai Queen!

I still sorta don't understand what's going on, but it looks to be set after Jiro leaves and some of the Flash forwards of the previous series, bookended by a further into the future. We're gonna need that setting Timeline again.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh right, turns out the guy that was doing those nice timeline things last time is back at it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4dw9yw/spoilers_concrete_revolutio_choujin_gensou_the/d1v1w84

Sweet.

e: i can't believe episode 2 is (almost) the farthest into the future we've seen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So why the heck is Kikka even still with the Superhuman Bureau? Fuurota is mentally a child, Emi remains inscrutable, and Jaguar legitimately believes that what they are doing is right. But Kikka keeps having moral qualms about their shady work and should be (but is inexplicably not) willing to dump them all in a hot second to follow Jirou around. She doesn't even listen to her weird magical girl mascot any more.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh man, not even halfway in and there's already Crystal Boy as a Space Mountie, and a fourth Jaguar??

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Really liking this. I understood the imagery, but it flashed by too quickly to tell that Kikko was doing it on purpose.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Daler Mehndi posted:

Really liking this. I understood the imagery, but it flashed by too quickly to tell that Kikko was doing it on purpose.

Is she? I think she's taking a picture of Jaguar with her phone. Probably.

I can't seem to get a good capture of it, but you're right; she totally is.

Also, Emi is cool and scary.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 10, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Is she? I think she's taking a picture of Jaguar with her phone. Probably.

I can't seem to get a good capture of it, but you're right; she totally is.

Also, Emi is cool and scary.

I didn't notice she's missing an eye in this shot until just now.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://sakuga.yshi.org/data/5658a8fba6a419cc5af253655425f528.mp4

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That's one hell of a jet punch.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

gonna be exciting to watch this tomorrow!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Droyer posted:

gonna be exciting to watch this tomorrow!

It's a really good one! And the most straightforward yet, plus the animators went hog wild.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The big sakuga bit in the middle seemed familiar, who drew it, and what else did they work on?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

The big sakuga bit in the middle seemed familiar, who drew it, and what else did they work on?

Twitter tells me it's Yutaka Nakamura:

His works include key-animation on projects such as Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Fullmetal Alchemist and Eureka Seven. One of his most notable animation works includes the last action scene in the movie "Sword of the Stranger".

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 16, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drat, that's quite a resume.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Back in Episode 5 in the very first shot, a member of Imperial Ads is talking about "getting some country girl into prime time", and throws a plastic-wrapped record onto his desk. The album cover features three of the Angel Stars - Fannie, Rose, and Arachne - in striped sweaters.

The album cover has the title "Shiroi Heya" ("White Room"). This is a very clear reference to "Shiroi Heya no Futari)" ("Couple of the white room"), one of the first yuri manga, which was published in 1971 (Showa 46 - and sure enough, this episode takes place in "Shinka 46").

Guess what the story arc for White Room is: one of the women dies, the other is left tragically alone.

:monocle:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Is this the first time we see full-powered Equus? It looks super cool.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Finally managed to watch this episode, and wow, I think this was probably the best episode in the show so far? It definitely seems like the second cours is actually going to deliver some answers.

Also, this was a great Ultraman episode!

a kitten posted:

Back in Episode 5 in the very first shot, a member of Imperial Ads is talking about "getting some country girl into prime time", and throws a plastic-wrapped record onto his desk. The album cover features three of the Angel Stars - Fannie, Rose, and Arachne - in striped sweaters.

The album cover has the title "Shiroi Heya" ("White Room"). This is a very clear reference to "Shiroi Heya no Futari)" ("Couple of the white room"), one of the first yuri manga, which was published in 1971 (Showa 46 - and sure enough, this episode takes place in "Shinka 46").

Guess what the story arc for White Room is: one of the women dies, the other is left tragically alone.

:monocle:

:aaaaa:

This is the rare show where I can't wait for it to end and have its payoff so people can dig up all of the foreshadowing and references.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Emi's great. Gods and Youkai have a creepy whimsy. Which adds to something interesting when they interact with ephemeral humans, who are willing to work with their whims.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Emi's great. Gods and Youkai have a creepy whimsy. Which adds to something interesting when they interact with ephemeral humans, who are willing to work with their whims.

Definitely.

This week was ok, not one of the best though. Almost entirely standalone too.
Still had some fun moments.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

Definitely.

This week was ok, not one of the best though. Almost entirely standalone too.
Still had some fun moments.

Kind of felt like this was deliberately put in as a chaser after the very plot-revelation-heavy previous episode. A bit disappointing, but Jiro and Jaguar still managed to shout about the main conflict at each other, so it was okay in the end. With the way the show works, I'm expecting either the Bird Men or Amato to show up again later and have an important minor role.

Anyway, while digging for a timeline to link to someone who bounced off the show initially but wanted to get back into it, I found this, which is a cool look at some of the media censorship in CR: https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/2015/11/27/media-and-propaganda-in-concrete-revolutio/

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm surprised they could show this episode on tv.

It was good though, even if I felt the ending was a bit abrupt.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Droyer posted:

I'm surprised they could show this episode on tv.

Are you referring to the nipples or the earthquake fish?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

Are you referring to the nipples or the earthquake fish?

Well, someone with an earthquake fetish would have earth-shaking orgasms.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think this is one of those few series that has gotten even better in the second season. Each episode is more cleanly written, more coherent, more clear on its themes. This particular one is a harsh indictment of the cold-blooded realpolitik that is used to by some to justify imperialism.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Some posters are nice, others can be mean.
Many good shows have bad threads, but some good shows have great discussions.
You don't have to like everything, but it's ok to like some things.
We are all posting here, on the something awful forums.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I sorta wish the head Public Security ninja got smote by trying to shoot a literal god as though it would do anything other than piss it off.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

While the last two episodes were fine I kinda missed the politics and timeline fuckery, so I'm glad this episode is back to form. Also Earth-chan is back!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Earth-chan, best chan.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Please turn the frozen foxgirl right side up. Ya jerks.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh Kikko, i love you. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Triple posting because this episode was rad as hell.

But, now I'm worried about Fuurouta.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like how Jiro says "you've gotten more adult" with a disgusted look on his face when he notices she's lying.

And then she blushes.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao this show really dislikes the ldp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten posted:

Earth-chan, best chan.

• Locked thread