Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
How could such a great and vast thing as the world possibly die? Look to the Mouth - it still draws breath, not ragged and sparse, but rhythmic and lively.

Project completed: The hunters are solemn and quiet when they return. At first they refuse to speak, except amongst themselves, but eventually Madelena comes forward and tells everyone what they found: They came across Jaguar in the jungle, they had him in their sights, and then he froze and looked at them. They, too, froze, unsure of what to do, and before they could decide, Jaguar fell to pieces and blew away in that odd, yet familiar way. And worst of all, they found no sign of Yaqub.

Projects:
Abundances: water, fear
Scarcities: guns
Contempt: UnCO3 (0), EclecticTastes (0), Josef bugman (0), ibntumart (0), Quorum (0)

OOC: What's your project called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
"Every Game ends eventually. But maybe this time, there will be no Players after we have gone."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The legends say Man has survived many terrible things. It may be foolish, but I still have hope that, somehow, he will survive this, too.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Discussion order: There is much we do not know. Perhaps we will all perish, but we should find out why at least.

Project Complete: The pylons are checked for strangeness and it inside of them there is found a series of ancient turbines. When one of the group, by the name of Michelle, turns them on strange lights are seen throughout the abandoned town that is covered in vines.

Summer- Week 5

quote:

Something goes foul and supplies are Ruined. Add a new scarcity.

The search for supplies suddenly becomes far more urgent as some of the stockpiles of food, even some of the tins from the time before the fall, have gone rotten and blown away like dust. The people are scared that soon they themselves will dissolve and there is increasing tension between those who saw the man dissolve and other members of the group.

Gain scarcity- Untainted food.

Action-Start a New project Due to the few successes of the past few months and in a bid to raise everyones spirits it is decided that the Llama tamers and team that turned on the lights will make an in depth exploration of the vine covered village. Perhaps more than weaponry can be found there, and perhaps (in the fears of many) it may be a place to flee to should the dissolving take certain people.

Projects: Forage for food (5)
Scarcities: guns, untainted food.
Contempt: UnCO3 (0), EclecticTastes (0), Josef bugman (0), ibntumart (0), Quorum (0)

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 16, 2015

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Waiting on EclecticTaste's project name and for Josef Bugman to update Projects/Abundance/Scarcity/etc.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
(Oh, whoops. my bad, that was Forage for food (6). So, (5) now.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry, just collapsed into bed after I got home last night. My post will be up when I get back from work this evening.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer - Week 6

quote:

Summer is fleeting.

Discard the top two cards off the top of the deck and take two actions this week.

I don't know how to do a proper discard, so I just drew two other cards into my hand.

Start a New Project - Research Fuel For Bus

Amanda is one of the quickest learners in the Circle of Learning and demonstrates a keen aptitude for engineering. With Ludmila's guidance and some untainted potatoes, corn, or cassava, she thinks she might be able to devise a usable fuel for the rebuilt bus. She, Ludmila, and a couple of other students co-opt an old shed and get to work.

Discover Something New

The tunnels are quiet for six days. Then they emit a great and terrible noise, a piercing wail in staccato. And then the words come, angry and insistent, booming throughout the community under our feet. "Zdes' vse bolit... In ço hama zaxmdorşudaro... Yahām̐ sabhī darda hō rahā hai... Kom nu terug! Coom hohm nao!"

The words diminish in volume, but do not stop. Every day, from sunrise to sunset, a susurrus of urgent words, nearly all unintelligible, whisper from the ground wherever we walk. It has replaced the keening entirely.

Projects: Forage for food (4), Explore the vine-covered village (5), Research Fuel For Bus (4)

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 18, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ibntumart posted:

Explore the vine-covered village (how many turns?)

Sorry! Make it 5 turns, its very in depth.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Summer - Week 7

quote:

A headstrong member of the community decides to put one of their ideas into motion. Start a foolish project.

The Circle of Learning's discussions have been fruitful, and Ludmila is very proud of the ideas that are already blooming, including Amanda's fuel project. But Luisa is dissatisfied. She expected answers, and the community's discussions are providing only more questions-- especially with the awful whispering in the earth. Enough is enough. Before dawn, she gathers a group of like-minded youths and descends the mountain, slipping easily by the sentries on the trail. The time for talking is done. It is time for action.

Oracle - Start a Project: Kill a Dust Man (1)

Action - Start a Project: Explore the Tunnels (4)

In the wake of the belowground whispering, several of the village's hunters, led once again by the fearless Madelena, resolve to venture into the tunnels that honeycomb the mountain. Perhaps they will be able to locate the source of the voices. Loading a llama up with torches and carrying several sticks of chalk for marking their way, they pass beneath the archway-- made of that smooth poured stone the old people used so often-- and vanish from sight.

Projects: Forage for food (3), Explore the vine-covered village (4), Research Fuel For Bus (3)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Taking Contempt.

Summer – Week 8

quote:

The eldest among you dies. What caused the death?
Ludmila has passed. She goes in her sleep on the same night Luisa leaves. No signs of struggle, just peace, a hint of pride, and a mote of fear.

Action – Discover Something New: When the community notices that Luisa and her compatriots are gone in the morning, Alvarez heads out with a hasty search party in case they're still nearby. Alvarez, usually not given to fear, is ashen when they return. They found two Jaguars. Not any jaguars – two exact copies of Jaguar, down to the precise markings of his coat.

Projects: Forage for food (2), Explore the vine-covered village (3), Research Fuel For Bus (2), Kill a Dust Man (0), Explore the Tunnels (3)
Scarcities: guns, untainted food
Contempt: UnCO3 (1), EclecticTastes (0), Josef bugman (0), ibntumart (0), Quorum (0)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
(Uh, I might not have been clear in my writing, but the "dust man" wasn't a dude made of dust, he was a normal guy who disintegrated.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Can't speak for anyone else, but I got that.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
OOC: I think 'dust man' is just a name our community's come up with for those people, and the project is Luisa et al going where we've seen them and killing one before they disintegrate to see what happens.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

UnCO3 posted:

OOC: I think 'dust man' is just a name our community's come up with for those people, and the project is Luisa et al going where we've seen them and killing one before they disintegrate to see what happens.

Yep, that's the idea. Foolish projects ahoy!

I'll have the project resolution up after work tonight.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Project Completed: The village is gathered for the funeral of Ludmila when Luisa and her hunting party return. They are jubilant, singing songs and clapping as they enter the main square. Later, Luisa tells her story before the Circle of Learning: the hunting party ventured to the edge of the living jungle in all stealth. There, they came upon one of the disappearing men. Luisa nocked an arrow coated in the deadliest poison the village knows and let it fly before the man could see them. He died, but not before opening his mouth and letting out a high-pitched shriek that did not sound human... and then dissolving into dust. They gathered some of the dust into a bottle, and from time to time, it trembles, as though the dust inside is stirring.

Projects: Forage for food (2), Explore the vine-covered village (3), Research Fuel For Bus (2), Explore the Tunnels (3)
Contempt: UnCO3 (1), EclecticTastes (0), Josef bugman (0), ibntumart (0), Quorum (0)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Summer - Week 8

(Who started the "Explore Vine-Covered Village" project? It doesn't appear to have been started by anyone, looking back, I think it was a mistype from Bugman when he started the project for the tunnels.)

quote:

A project finishes early. What led to its early completion?

One of the old books in the village was uncovered, and described the ways to create fuels that will work in automobiles. However, we quickly found that we lacked the necessary supplies and refining techniques to make it ourselves. Perhaps, if fortune is with us, we will discover a canister of gasoline, though, it remains unclear where we would go, even if we could get it running. The world around us is gray and lifeless, empty even of the dead, as it all turns to dust, so thoroughly is the life drained from everything outside this jungle.

Action - Start a Discussion: Should we maybe seek out the Jackals? We know not from where they came, but given that the rest of the world seems dead around us, it seems like it might be wise to seek out the only other humans we're aware of.

Projects: Forage for food (1), Explore the vine-covered village (2), Explore the Tunnels (2)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It was me, but I started it before the tunnels were there.

I think keeping clear of the Jackals is the only sensible thing to do here.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 22, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The Jackals nearly destroyed us. If they still survive, then long life to them... but we should have nothing to do with them.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
"What insanity is this? We are already finding out we're not as safe as we once thought. Welcoming contact with our old enemy is to court disaster."

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
If the Jackals were decent, human beings then they had a strange way of showing it. Let them rot wherever they are, alone.

OOC: about the project - this is a good reason for updating the project list whenever you start one, rather than just including it in your post, since people can easily check back through the projects/resources/contempt roundup in previous posts to look for things like that.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 22, 2015

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
OOC: Josef, I think Eclectic put both their question and their answer in their action, so the discussion is over now and it's your turn.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

UnCO3 posted:

OOC: Josef, I think Eclectic put both their question and their answer in their action, so the discussion is over now and it's your turn.

Oh bollocking gently caress. Working on post now!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Summer - Week 9

quote:

Someone new arrives. Who? Why are they in distress?
From out of the earth comes a man covered in soil, thick goggles cover his eyes and he speaks an almost nonsense language. "Zdes In no çooom hama". "Zdes Juztinian" he says poiting to himself. It is evident that some sort of quarrel as his hands are badly bruised and slightly bloody. He is taken into Ludmillas old house and gently given soup and a place to sleep whilst debate continues as to what to do with him.

Action - Start a Discussion: What do we do with this weirdo?

Projects: Forage for food (0), Explore the vine-covered village (1), Explore the Tunnels (1)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Project Completed: Our worst fears are realized. As the trees remain lush, we had not noticed, but the smaller plants of the jungle have become withered and anemic. We were yet able to gather enough berries, roots, and such to last the year, but it is very likely the last time the jungle will provide for us.

Projects: Explore the vine-covered village (1), Explore the Tunnels (1)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Kill him. That way we can see if he's flesh or dust.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

This "dust" is more likely a symptom of disease than some state of being, send him away, lest he prove infected.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

This is the first other person we have seen who hasn't tried to kill us or dissolved into dust. We should speak with him, and learn what we can.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

He should live. We need all the people we can get.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
"The world around us is dying. Let us preserve what life we can."

edit: Looks like projects Explore the vine-covered village and Explore the Tunnels are finished... I'll wait for their updates before posting.

Also, am I starting Week 10 or Week 12, given I discarded the top two cards before drawing my last turn?

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 28, 2015

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
OOC: I'm gonna say week 10, for consistency with previous turns. Also, the projects technically haven't finished yet - in the rules as written, projects advance after the next player draws and resolves their oracle card and before they take their own action, but for ease of play online we've gone with the active player resolving all their stuff at once and projects finishing afterwards. You should take your turn first.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer - Week 10

quote:

An unattended situation becomes problematic and scary. What is it? How does it go awry?

The Not-Crows have been but a disturbing curiosity: off-putting perhaps, but no Jaguar, Jackals, or Powder Men after all. But they fly over us now every day, sometimes swooping low so that a tall man might jump and just graze their dark matte surface. One day they start talking, though they have no mouths, and mimic the constant stream of nonsense words from the earth. That night they hang over our community, blotting out the moonlight and small red bursts of sky fill the otherwise pitch black night. They returned the next night, but that night and every one since, they are not silent. We endure their chilling low-pitched whine for a full hour every night after sunset and six minutes of random-sounding words for six minutes, four seconds an hour before dawn.

Action -Discover Something New

Taran looks out from the highest point of our mountain community, and within the swathe of newly dead foliage, she sees a strange gleaming spire at the limit of sight. Viewed through one of our few remaining spyglasses, we see what looks to be a strange patchwork glass tower with bizarre white structures around it. It pulses with light, much as the Not-Crows, save not a glaring red, rather a muted blue.

Projects: :siren: Explore the vine-covered village (0), :siren: :siren: Explore the Tunnels (0) :siren:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Project Completed: When Madelena and her companions emerge from the tunnels, they are pale and shaking; Madelena is limping, and one of the hunters, a young man named Paul, is missing. For days they descended into the darkness, following the sound of voices, until they found a great round room with three enormous passageways leading away, each large enough to fit the entire village with room to spare. She says something moved in the darkness, and pursued them to the surface. She says they had eyes, and spoke gibberish in voices that sounded almost human. For several days, she says nothing more.

Projects: :siren: Explore the vine-covered village (0)

I'll hold off on posting the week's update until the results of the other project are known, just in case!

Quorum fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 30, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Project Completed: The llama herders return to camp with something that looks very much like good news. It turns out that the vines are growing thicker around the housing and the ground has started to but forth fresh shoots. The only downside is that there are tunnels underneath the village filled with more of the strange canisters. They have been kept unopened but none know if they are causing the regrowth, or if they are what made the rest of the world a ruin.

Projects: None

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Autumn - Week 1

quote:

A group goes out to explore the map more thoroughly and discovers something that has been overlooked.

In the face of the encroaching decay, a small group of scouts sets out to explore the living jungle, in the hopes of finding something they had missed. To the northeast, beyond the green village, they find something we had overlooked: the ruins of a bunker, half-buried in the hillside, the remnants of a sign upon its door still reading: F--L D--POT. Within the Feldpot, they find dozens of large drums, most of them staved in and their contents evaporated. One, however, is intact, and within is something very precious: fuel. It may even be enough to take the bus on one last journey.

Action: Start a Project: The Not-Crows' low hum has driven many in the village to distraction, and some families have taken to huddling together while their whine fills the dusk. Fresh from their previous success, Luisa declares that she and her group will repeat their triumph: they will take down a Not-Crow, and show the flock this village will not suffer their depredations. Without Ludmila around, none can argue her down.

Projects: Kill a Not-Crow (3)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Taking Contempt.

Autumn – Week 2

quote:

Someone sabotages a project, and the project fails. Who did this? Why?
While nobody is quite willing to openly oppose the charismatic Luisa, a few move in secret against her. The most successful is Micah, who steals into our gun storage before Luisa and her supporters can reach it, takes the few weapons we have and throws them into Outfall's bottomless pool. Though he is caught, the weapons are lost. The only reason he gives is that we are “losing sight of ourselves, becoming something we shouldn't be”.

Action – Hold a Discussion: Those who play against the team are traitors. Traitors must be killed!

Projects:
Scarcities: untainted food, sleep
Contempt: UnCO3 (2), EclecticTastes (0), Josef bugman (0), ibntumart (0), Quorum (0)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

You mean Luisa, right? I agree, let's be done with her, she's gone too far too often, and putting her down might help us get some drat sleep.

Autumn - Week 3

quote:

Something goes foul and supplies are ruined. Add a new Scarcity.

Micah's sensible actions embolden the others, and soon the remainder of the firearm stockpile has been safely disposed of. Luisa is gently reminded that her so-called "enemies" are unarmed Old World drones, and her previous paranoid ramblings have been targeted at men who were literally about to die on their own and some sort of water-dweller that appeared exactly once several months ago, and could very well have been a machine, himself.

Action - Discover Something New:

In the abandoned village, a hidden room is found in the basement of one of the houses. Inside are a number of documents detailing what little research went into what happened to the Old World to drive it into its current state, before thing broke down. The meanings of many terms within the files have been lost, but the author appears to have found evidence that the Earth was "worn out", a simplification for terms too complex to properly interpret, and it predicted that eventually the very bonds that hold organic cells together would break down, through an equally incomprehensible mechanism. The effect, apparently, is global, though far from uniform, and no true solution is proposed. The final entry includes information related to delaying the effect, though doing so would be at the expense of the surrounding area. Judging by the forest, the plan was implemented successfully.

Projects:
Scarcities: untainted food, sleep, guns
Contempt: UnCO3 (2), EclecticTastes (0), Josef bugman (0), ibntumart (0), Quorum (0)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
OOC: You need to wait for the full round of opinions during a discussion, but since things have been a bit slow recently I think it's fine to let this one slide in the interest of getting through the next few turns a bit faster.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Killing a fellow villager, no matter how misguided, would shatter us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
"When someone makes a mistake playing the Game, we do not banish her from it! Instead we show her the correct rules, and suggest strategies for successful play, that she may improve and with it the quality of the Game for all."

• Locked thread