Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I just visited an old friend of mine who I hadn't seen in like 15 years and even when we were kids he would lie about almost anything. Thing is that he's still a a pathological liar and he's 38 years old. He said things like he made hundreds of thousands of dollars off bitcoin (no he didn't). He bragged about his (imaginary) sports cars yet drives a 2000 taurus. He lied for about 60% of a 2 hour conversation. He even had the gall to say that he was on the apprentice a few years ago and when I asked what season he just said 'oh, it was a deleted season, very hard to find'

Does nobody call these people out on their lies? How do they survive their jobs and family life? Do they just do it as a reflex? It's loving weird. Do any of you guys know any of these kinds of people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I knew one way back in high school who said he had a sister living in China and how he has half Chinese. He was actually 100% Native American. He also pretended to be his sister by going on AIM under a fake account.

I eventually called him out once everyone else started connecting the dots that maybe he was lying pretty much all the time. It exploded and he lost a number of friends.

Later on we shared some Computer Science university classes that he ended up failing in everything because he only pretended to know what he was doing. He would say his program was working at home, he would double down and argue with the TAs during labs saying they were wrong and his program should work and the computers are broken at the university. It eventually got to the point that he wasn't even registered in the class but he still went. He just said he's on the waitlist but the class never had a waitlist. He wanted everyone to believe he was going to school and being successful.

He's now a bouncer at a lovely nightclub.

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
I'm a pathological liar. This is a really good thread, op.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
gets them attention and then they have to spin more lies to cover the old lies etc I guess also their brain wiring is wrong too

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I knew one growing up and he'd lie about everything like the op description, but his family was rich as gently caress and had lots of cool stuff. Met him again about ten years ago and he was still full of poo poo. Had a super hot wife and was still rich as gently caress though. So, it didn't really make a difference for him.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

do you have any reason to believe he's not telling the truth?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

I saw his season of the apprentice he was the guy who built a fish stick empire right salty ol captain highliner himself right there sticking it to trump telling him to build his wall of mighty beer battered fish fillet both tasty and affordable and as we all know, mexicans cannot scale the mighty fishstick drat it was a great season it's a shame it didn't air because donald trump kept hanging dong and telling omarosa that he'd gently caress her if she was a cracker oh well!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
also he had the free captain's hat

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Tarkus posted:

I just visited an old friend of mine who I hadn't seen in like 15 years and even when we were kids he would lie about almost anything. Thing is that he's still a a pathological liar and he's 38 years old. He said things like he made hundreds of thousands of dollars off bitcoin (no he didn't). He bragged about his (imaginary) sports cars yet drives a 2000 taurus. He lied for about 60% of a 2 hour conversation. He even had the gall to say that he was on the apprentice a few years ago and when I asked what season he just said 'oh, it was a deleted season, very hard to find'

Does nobody call these people out on their lies? How do they survive their jobs and family life? Do they just do it as a reflex? It's loving weird. Do any of you guys know any of these kinds of people?

They tend to freak the gently caress out if you call them on their bullshit. They are also all really, really bad at lying. I usually just smile and nod my head.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i actually have over a million dollars in the bank and fyi i am actually a successful and well liked man about town who is popular and cool, and i have sex at least onctwice a year, sometimesa more than that

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

my parents are proud of me and my ssister always wants me to come to her house and spend time looking after her children because i am a role model and someone they should look uptio, i am not considering killing myself and have a lot of friends who like me a loty

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

lonesomedwarf posted:

i actually have over a million dollars in the bank and fyi i am actually a successful and well liked man about town who is popular and cool, and i have sex at least onctwice a year, sometimesa more than that

You aren't doing it right. You need to throw in some lies about poo poo that no one really cares about too.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Bored posted:

You aren't doing it right. You need to throw in some lies about poo poo that no one really cares about too.

im popular on an internet comedy forum and people think i am funny on the aforementioned foruems

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i got a fat dick too fat 4 chat I say before i have regular sex with cool beautiful women it's too fat to chat we have to have sex instead i say

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

I don't know if you've heard, but I'm a pretty popular poster over at SomethingAwful.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

DenizenKane posted:

I'm a pathological liar. This is a really good thread, op.

wait a sec

I think you might just be a regular liar

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

lonesomedwarf posted:

im popular on an internet comedy forum and people think i am funny on the aforementioned foruems

i agree

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Wow I do too.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Everyone I know is a pathological liar

They keep telling me that i have value as a human being

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I hate these people

theyre basically just saying to your face "I think youre so loving dumb, that youre gonna believe this stupid poo poo"

sever

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Every once in a blue moon they meet that one chick that is abysmally retarded enough to believe their rich astronaut james bond story and they have the gently caress of their lifetime.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
The following sentence is true.
The previous sentence is false.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
a friend in high school would do this, but he would take real things that happened and place himself at the center of it. if someone happened at joe's house, suddenly it was his house. if so-and-so found saw something and told the rest of us, suddenly it was him. he was careful to share these stories with people outside of the social group in which stuff happened, so that he would appear to outsiders as the coolest guy in the group.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

There isn't one cause for this type of behaviour but for the really persistent liars I think they probably believe their own lies to a certain degree. Autobiographic memory is a weird thing that is distorted and fictionalised even in normally functioning people, pathologic liars seem like they have an extreme version of this where self-serving fantasy and lies end up encoded as a real memory (to some extent).

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

my brother in law is one. all you can really do is nod and say uh huh

he's not as bad as the op's, he hasnt lied about being on the apprentice (lol) but its still really annoying the poo poo he does lie about

"Bro i totally drove up to reno last night and won 10k i na poker tournament"

"oh yeah neat :rolleyes:"

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

best thing to do is put two pathological liars in the same room imo. the lies get so good when they start one upping each other and neither one ever calls the other one out

Moltke
May 13, 2009
i lived with one of these OP. He swore up and down he was wanted by the government for being an elite hacker despite being an unemployed sack of poo poo with no tech skills whatsoever. He once tried to tell me that the reason it looked like someone slept in my bed was because he had to move his bike into my room (he has never owned a bike)(why did he sleep in my bed). I moved out, cut him off and couldn't be happier.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
OP whenever he says something that isn't the absolute literal truth just slowly say "ohhhhhhhkaaaaaaaay?"

You already do this because you're one of those people, aren't you, aren't you

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've known several and the causes were different in each case. One dude was just desperate for attention. Anyone's attention and any kind. His lies were mild and could be mistaken for real experiences a lot of the time. A second dude i knew seemed to buy into his own bs. He came up with the most outrageous bullshit and it was always about how he'd done something awesomer than you had done or were doing. He was an otherwise decent dude but insanely prideful. I'd guess his lying was part of an overcompensation for percieved faults. Finally there was a dude I knew that told really fanciful lies that weren't pure self aggrandizement. He didn't buy into his own bs and seemed to lie on some sort of scholarly principle, like real life wasn't spicy enough without his bizarre yarns. That last one was an older dude though so he might have just been pathological liar: the prestige class. Like if you lie often enough you gain experience and can go ssj liar. Still if that was so, it was still far less annoying than the other kind of liars.

As for getting away with it, most people don't care enough to attempt to overcome a liar's inertia. Everyone knows a liar speaks pure bs but there is no benefit in calling them out unless you enjoy being a dick and getting treated like a dick. And sadomasochism is its own set of issues.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
They have people like Gnarly to enable them ie. Xie.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
truly sorry about your aspergers op & other posters itt

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I know someone like that but aside from that they're a smart dude with cool hobbies and stories so it's whatever.

It's gotten better now that we're adults but yeah when we were teenagers it would just be lies for no reason even - like he'd casually mention he was at store A grocery shopping but he would actually be at store B.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Everybody had that kid in class whos uncle worked at Nintendo and had all the super awesome games that only he had and noone was allowed to see.
I remember evertime we fantasized about a game in which you could play ninja-turtles vs. Terminator or some poo poo, and always that one guy claimed he had that exact game at home. Of course, nobody could come over to play it.

These kids grow up at some point.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

Nathilus posted:

As for getting away with it, most people don't care enough to attempt to overcome a liar's inertia. Everyone knows a liar speaks pure bs but there is no benefit in calling them out unless you enjoy being a dick and getting treated like a dick. And sadomasochism is its own set of issues.

If I knew one I would be calling out lies 24/7. I don't see how this makes me a dick considering they're lying to me all the time.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Baba Ganoush posted:

If I knew one I would be calling out lies 24/7. I don't see how this makes me a dick considering they're lying to me all the time.

They usually have uncounterable backup plans.
Like "you cant prove god does NOT exist"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

i went to a school with a kid that was obsessed with the air force

apparently he went to an air show and they let him sit in a harrier jump jet they had (they would've let him fly it but he was still in air cadets and hadn't quite finished his training). then he pressed one of the buttons and it fired a missile and killed his cousin.

luckily his uncle worked for nintendo and was a really swell guy that any day now was going to let us try out the new Mega Nintendo console!

i never had reason to doubt him

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Baba Ganoush posted:

The thing is you will NEVER get a liar to own up to what they are doing. There is no point in trying. Unless you're a psychologist or like starting arguments. And getting people yelling just to yell IS a dick move whether its the first wrong or the second.

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013
Known a couple of people like that. Especially annoying with one because the purpose of her lies wouldn't actually make any loving sense and she would literally lie about past events in the presence of people who were at those events. At first it was just awkward. Then multiple close friends confronted her about it in private and she admitted she had a problem, but she wouldn't get help and wouldn't stop. Eventually it got so bad and obnoxious that sometimes people would straight up go "yeah Jane that never happened" and then she'd either get super awkward, change the subject and pretend like nothing out of the ordinary just happened, or she'd actually argue the point.

What sucks is that if you somehow ignore the pathological lying she's actually a fun and cool person, but obviously you can't ignore it.

The other person was just incredibly stupid and uncomfortable in his own skin. Would make up outlandish lies about how he was meeting celebrities or stories about some awesome poo poo he was doing or just small lies to get out of responsibility.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm 50 feet tall. My dick is 8" long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

milkingmycow posted:

I'm 50 feet tall. My dick is 8" long.

It doesnt work in gbs because this is what we are all doing here constantly.

• Locked thread