Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm a bad liar. Reverse those numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
i knew a girl version of these who was smoking hot and her stories were ever grander and more dramatic and elaborate stories of rape and being a nascar driver. everybody just nodded and went "uh huh" and "you poor thing" etc. because they wanted to drill her puss. i chased the booty for a while bc i was young and stupid but then i realized she was bulimic and got grossed out and never saw her again, and also she would not gently caress me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It's a compulsive defense mechanism.

Some people do it because they are assholes, others do it reflexively since it's a learned behavior to cope with the world/their environment since childhood/adolescence and can't help themselves.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
whenever someone asks me how i'm doing i always say "fine." but it's never true. am i a pathological liar?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cnut the Great posted:

whenever someone asks me how i'm doing i always say "fine." but it's never true. am i a pathological liar?
No, you're okay.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm fairly sure i'm a pathological liar if only because i've realised I can tell bullshit stories at any club I go to and when I head back i'll hear a "Oh, you're the dude who trained a lion at the zoo! My friend mentioned it! How do you train one?".

I mean, I always fess up in the end, but reeling people on for 10-20 minutes will never get old.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

How do they survive their jobs and family life? Do they just do it as a reflex? It's loving weird.

They don't usually. That's why it's "pathological"

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

dogstile posted:

I'm fairly sure i'm a pathological liar if only because i've realised I can tell bullshit stories at any club I go to and when I head back i'll hear a "Oh, you're the dude who trained a lion at the zoo! My friend mentioned it! How do you train one?".

I mean, I always fess up in the end, but reeling people on for 10-20 minutes will never get old.

ur a dumbass loser but probably lying again so

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

dogstile posted:

missing the point here :allears:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I knew someone who affected a British accent for kicks one night. He met a girl and they hit it off.

For the 3 months they were dating/loving he would talk in that British accent whenever she was present. It was hilarious.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MVP posted:

ur a dumbass loser but probably lying again so

Or am I?

basement jihadist posted:

missing the point here :allears:

As above.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
I can understand why people would make up stories that make them look better, like saying you are friends with a celebrity or bragging about being better off than you actually are.

One guy I knew however used to make up ramdom poo poo, like claiming he knew a film he never saw or having had some food he never had. ( I noticed it because the plot of the film was something I had made up and the food was something a mutual friend had abroad.) When we talked to him about it, he genuinely seemed to believe he wasnt lying. He was a decent guy in every other aspect.

I guess it was a case of wanting to fit in and believing in his own fantasies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some people misattribute stories to themselves, I think it's slightly different than usual lying from whole cloth. And sometimes it's just easier to say, "my friend" when telling a funny story instead of "a friend of a friend" and further degrees of separation. Neither bothers me particularly.

I did have a friend who would always lie about kind of abuse he endured, which is odd because he was extremely secretive about the actual abuse he was receiving. So why not just reveal the real one? It was a lateral move.

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
As a pathological liar and a pathological truther let me just say 9/10 was an inside job but there were four towers two are just invisible the footage was shot on a sound stage on the moon bush was my best friend in high school we used to smoke together and he told me all about his 911 plans but I just forgot the day that it happened so I couldn't save everyone except I did save a few people I called them up on the phone and was like "hey watch out bush wants to blow you up bros" and saved them and they invite me to dinner a lot and thank me "hey thanks for the heads up, good thing you know all about conspiracies bro you're really cool and I love your plaid pants you wear em so hot you could melt steel beams"

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

wiffle ball bat posted:

being a nascar driver

What on Earth kind of thing to lie about is that ?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

When i know someone is really pulling my leg i go along with it. Ask them questions to make them dig a deeper hole. Being interested in the lie is pretty funny and a good way to gently caress with them. Fyi

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
A good friend of mine would constantly lie about the number of gorgeous girls that would be at a certain place/event where this girl he fancied was going to be, just to convince me to come along. Even after I would call him on it and told him that we both knew it wasn't true, but that I would come along anyway, he still insisted this time it was true.

The most evident one was this time the girl in turn was learning Tango. They had a public class in some bar, we went, turned out she was the only one under 25; hell, everyone else there was about 50.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Pick posted:

I do have a friend who would always lie about kind of abuse he endured, which is odd because he was extremely secretive about the actual abuse he was receiving. So why not just reveal the real one? It was a lateral move.

The real one hurts the fake one doesn't. But its close enough to serve as a substitute so others can understand. I play a similar trick with my insecurities. Everyone has some, obviously. But i learned early that when you let others in on them they can be used against you. So you throw a lateral pass. Then you still have apparent insecurities for everyone to talk about but they don't sting when prodded. Pure defensive reaction.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
A guy I knew said he could sell shredded grass as marijuana and get away with it

but not this time

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Sperg can't tell when he's being lied to or when people are humoring him, assumes the same about everyone else.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
More interesting than pathological liars (they're just messed up in the head due to a birth defect or rough upbringing, kinda feel sorry for them tbh), are the lies and gross exagerations normal people make all the time. My favourite is when someone talks about their experience when they got pulled over by the cops for a speeding ticket. What almost always actually happened is that you were pulled over, were making GBS threads your pants, humbly accepted your ticket, then drove off. The story you tell tho, is that the cop was a total dick, he baited you into the ticket, you yelled at him for being an rear end in a top hat, he called backup because he was a pussy bitch who was afraid of you, and then the story kinda trails off, because you suddenly realize you went too far with your embellishment and the person you're lying to will start to wonder why, if you were that belligerent that backup was called, why weren't you arrested and beaten and currently sitting in jail? Most people, cops in particular, don't enjoy getting berated while doing their jobs, and they can actually do something about it, which is why you meekly accepted the ticket like the pussy bitch that we all are.

Happened just last night with a guy at work actually. Always makes me laugh.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i knew a kid in highschool who lied to the point where you really weren't sure of everything down to his religion, race or gender

he's supposedly at an ivy league school now, which i think is actually verified by people, so i wonder if he got his poo poo together or if it's like some web of lies until the dean there googles something on his application

the problem with pathological liars is that you don't want to be close enough to them to learn the things in their life that would probably be somewhat interesting and funny, we should put hidden cameras on them and not tell them and have them be the new truman show

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I knew one of these guys. He was a dumb idiot

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

The B_36 posted:

More interesting than pathological liars (they're just messed up in the head due to a birth defect or rough upbringing, kinda feel sorry for them tbh), are the lies and gross exagerations normal people make all the time. My favourite is when someone talks about their experience when they got pulled over by the cops for a speeding ticket. What almost always actually happened is that you were pulled over, were making GBS threads your pants, humbly accepted your ticket, then drove off. ....

I actually got pulled over by a cop for speeding*, he asked if I had a medical emergency, I told him that I was making GBS threads my pants (in other words, of course). He nicely said that that didn't count.

* Edit: I wasn't really speeding, it was just an excuse to get some money out of me, being a corrupt cop. Was a broke student, had little money and they were nice enough to give me change for gas.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

rgocs posted:

I actually got pulled over by a cop for speeding*, he asked if I had a medical emergency, I told him that I was making GBS threads my pants (in other words, of course). He nicely said that that didn't count.

* Edit: I wasn't really speeding, it was just an excuse to get some money out of me, being a corrupt cop. Was a broke student, had little money and they were nice enough to give me change for gas.

It's always been my experience that if you're polite, humble and not a dick, that cops will reduce the ticket or let you off with a warning everytime. Control your emotions for ten minutes and you'll save yourself hundreds of dollars. Course I'm in Canada, our cops are educated past a grade school level and not prone to random beatings.

Then you can lie about it afterwards to make yourself seem like a badass.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
People who don't own up to these kinds of lies are the people who won't accept criticism or take responsibility for mistakes at their jobs. Even though everyone knows it was them, they go "no way man, I did the thing, it was something else that broke it", when it's totally obvious they didn't do the thing. Like ok man you wasted 100 pieces of paper printing something wrong it's ok you don't have to lie about it.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

People who don't own up to these kinds of lies are the people who won't accept criticism or take responsibility for mistakes at their jobs. Even though everyone knows it was them, they go "no way man, I did the thing, it was something else that broke it", when it's totally obvious they didn't do the thing. Like ok man you wasted 100 pieces of paper printing something wrong it's ok you don't have to lie about it.

"I swear I sent it, my email service (gmail) surely messed up."

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I knew a guy like this who told my own story back to me but with him in place of me. I just sat there speechless unable to call him on his bullshit and then never talked to him again. Later when I saw Go there is a scene like this and I was like, "Holy poo poo, that guy is just like Josh."

He's super fat and a born-again now, so I guess I'm the big winner here.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

ladron posted:

I knew a guy like this who told my own story back to me but with him in place of me. I just sat there speechless unable to call him on his bullshit and then never talked to him again. Later when I saw Go there is a scene like this and I was like, "Holy poo poo, that guy is just like Josh."

Something similar happened in an ethics class in college. The professor used a personal story to explain something. Later in the semester one girl in the class, eager to contribute to whatever topic we were discussing, told the same story but with her in his place.

She was very confused at why everyone in the room was silent and looking at her funny.

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

ladron posted:

yeah i know someone who does this on a regular basis what the gently caress is up with that

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Oh you were part of the assault team that found saddam? interesting

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Without pathological liars we'd have no political class though.

Edit: Also, FOX News would be out of business.

Edit 2: no religion too. There, I think I've managed to offend enough people now.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 29, 2015

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

yes everyone here gets offended when you subtly bash fox news and religion

MODS

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mods didn't know

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

milkingmycow posted:

I'm 50 feet tall. My dick is 8" long.

giantesses must make fun of your tiny dick all the time

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
I've known a few people like this and they always struck me as being incredibly insecure with themselves. I used to call them on their bullshit and without fail they would 1. come up with another lie to cover the first lie and 2. get incredibly mad and start freaking out. With one person I tried to refute each of their lies as they came up with them once, and it was then I learned that the lies never end. You could have a compulsive liar on video doing something they said they didn't, with an audio recording of them saying that they are going to do it, and when you confront them with the evidence they will still deny it, maybe toss in a lie about how they have a cousin that looks just like them and they were visiting that day.

The only thing you can really do with people like that is assume that everything that comes out of their mouth is a lie and treat them accordingly.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i used to work with this dude at Prints Plus who would lie about beating up customers and claimed to be a Hitman by night. at least i'm pretty sure he was lying.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I would tell you op, but then I would compromise my CIA clearence

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

They're salespeople, OP. It's a talent, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Pitdragon posted:

You could have a compulsive liar on video doing something they said they didn't, with an audio recording of them saying that they are going to do it, and when you confront them with the evidence they will still deny it, maybe toss in a lie about how they have a cousin that looks just like them and they were visiting that day.

Sounds like Master Shake.

edit for content:

I used to know this kid in high school named Matt and he would pretty much lie about everything, mainly his various ethnicities that I can't remember, though Im pretty sure the dude was first nations in some capacity. Claimed he was an air force pilot once, or training to be one. I'm starting to notice a few similarities with other compulsive liar stories in this thread. Going to ask a friend of mine from the same social group if he remembers any specific lies this kid told. hang on guys, ill be right back

Junk fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 29, 2015

• Locked thread