Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

quote:

More than 3.7 billion people under the age of 50 suffer from the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), usually after catching it in childhood, according to a the WHO study.

That is in addition to 417 million people in the 17-49 age range who have the other form of the disease, HSV-2, which causes genital herpes.

HSV-1 normally causes mouth ulcers rather than genital infection, but it is becoming an increasing cause of genital infection too, mainly in rich countries.

That is because improved hygiene in rich countries is lowering HSV-1 infection rates in childhood, leaving young people more at risk of catching it via oral sex when they become sexually active.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/you-probably-have-herpes-the-who-says/ar-BBmxzak?ocid=ansmsnhealth11

So, apparently everyone has face herpes, but only people in wealthy countries have it on their junk, either due to hygiene or oral sex, it isn't really clear.

quote:

"We really need to accelerate the development of vaccines against herpes simplex virus, and if a vaccine designed to prevent HSV-2 infection also prevented HSV-1, it would have far reaching benefits," said Sami Gottlieb, a WHO medical officer.

Nathalie Broutet, also a WHO medical officer, said the U.S. National Institutes of Health and companies including GlaxoSmithKline Plc were involved in trials to determine whether a therapeutic or preventative vaccine was preferable.

Gottlieb said GSK had previously abandoned a vaccine trial after finding the product was not effective against HSV-2, although it did show some efficacy against HSV-1.

"That was interesting and promising and gave a proof of concept that these vaccines can be developed. There's a lot of work ongoing and we're hopeful that we'll have an HSV vaccine in the future," she said.

Several phase-1 and phase-2 trials were underway, she said. Genocea Biosciences Inc recently dropped work on a pneumonia vaccine in favor of its more promising work on genital herpes.

I am in favor of this vaccine idea, because I am a sex-haver. Although, I think sex-havers may also just need to accept that herpes is a likely inconvenience of the sex-having lifestyle rather than freaking out about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
no you have herpes

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
don't wash my junk and I never get herpes? got it.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
White People: We must cure herpes before we cure cancer.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I wash myself inside the bodies of my women.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I made a thread about this a few months ago already OP

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

to test yourself for it without an embarrassing trip to the clinic you can just get really depressed and drink a bunch of orange juice

Mufasa Nigel
Jul 8, 2005

gizmojumpjet posted:

I thought you were dead kim.

Aug 4, 2010

lol if you have sex and expose yourself to this filth. my life of sexual abstinence has kept me safe from the dangers of herpes and AIDS

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

gizmojumpjet posted:

same but w/ my collection of fleshlights

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
I don't got no cooties.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

literally this big posted:

goons: if I can order pizza hut ingame from WOW why haven't we cured the incredibly complex and varied arrays of cancer yet?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

yeah no one is working on that cancer thing
good idea

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
im clean

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

dont tell your mother

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

curing herpes is a vastly simpler problem than curing cancer

also we're working much harder on the latter

goat manilla
Nov 13, 2003

I have mouth herpes.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

im clean as a whislte baby been checked U BE 2

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

oh yeah I got them all right, annoying bitches leaving their feathers everywhere and scratching up my back when I go out the door, drat pests I tells ya

goat manilla
Nov 13, 2003

I like "popping" the sores before they become too noticeable. I also gave it to my wife and never told her I had it.

naem
May 29, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

oh yeah I got them all right, annoying bitches leaving their feathers everywhere and scratching up my back when I go out the door, drat pests I tells ya

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
We shouldn't vaccinate it because that will only encourage sluts to give more blowjobs and actually I just changed my mind and fully support a vaccine now

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Yeah, its like I know the day that herpes is cured everyone will be out banging strangers in the street. But, on the other hand, it really shouldn't stop anyone from doing that now since it is more of an inconvenience than a threat. We are all ambivalent about it, is what I am trying to say.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I bang strangers in the street without a condom and don't have herpes

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

i don't have it.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Stoic Commie posted:

I bang strangers in the street without a condom and don't have herpes

Condom doesn't protect against the herp you virgin.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Universe Master posted:

i don't have it.

neither do i :c00l: :hfive:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd rather get genital herpes than genital warts

Preferably neither

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmNJ03s2ZuM

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
who is paying for this herpes outbreak?

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 29, 2015

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
so is this forum herpes free?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how I don't have it honestly.
My friends very old mom told me the shingles vaccine cured her oral herpes, like after she got the shot she never had another cold sore. Shingles is a form of the virus so there may be something to it.
My cat has eye herpes. If you ever feel bad about a cold sore, just remember, my cat has eye herpes.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

jeez those whites just cant get it right!

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
THC kills HSV. Look it up!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

I made a thread about this a few months ago already OP

Professor Shark: Herpes thread pioneer

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lol "white people"? way to project there, champ, and nice children's cartoon av

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

I'd rather get genital herpes than genital warts

Preferably neither

i've had both, its not that bad bro :redass:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I have it but not because I banged a chick with it, but I caught it fighting, it's in cuts on my hands and one on my face that have since healed but they break out in sores sometimes. between two and three years ago it began retroinfecting up through my hands then arms

herpes goes latent in nerve cells and when it outbreaks there is a chance it can go upstream instead of out towards your skin.

bottom line is somehow it crossed into my brain over time. very quickly I lost all medical coverage due to unrelated stuff lost my job and almost my house. got a job back but still haven't been able to get covered. there is a chance you can get out fine if you get treatment immediately, delaying treatment means you can have some minor nerve damage but probably be ok

in the majority of untreated cases the patient will die. one hundred percent of survivors well have some level of permanent brain damage. it primarily affects the temporal lobes. but your whole brain can be affected

I used to have a lot of t lobe seizures but they've stopped. The seizures started out small and I would be kind of dazed but then go back to normal. Then they got bad and it was like a rolling brownout feeling like watching blocks in a city lose and regain power, and then eventually they all come back online. The last time it happened not all the blocks lit back up. Some stayed dark. That one was like getting hit by a bus, I think I laid in bed afterwards for like 18 hours straight.

So sometimes I get the feeling like a seizure is gonna start, but since the last one it never happened again. It's not the same though. Kind of flowers for Algernon sometimes. Sometimes it's not so bad.

I new I wouldn't last forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I have it but not because I banged a chick with it, but I caught it fighting, it's in cuts on my hands and one on my face that have since healed but they break out in sores sometimes. between two and three years ago it began retroinfecting up through my hands then arms

herpes goes latent in nerve cells and when it outbreaks there is a chance it can go upstream instead of out towards your skin.

bottom line is somehow it crossed into my brain over time. very quickly I lost all medical coverage due to unrelated stuff lost my job and almost my house. got a job back but still haven't been able to get covered. there is a chance you can get out fine if you get treatment immediately, delaying treatment means you can have some minor nerve damage but probably be ok

in the majority of untreated cases the patient will die. one hundred percent of survivors well have some level of permanent brain damage. it primarily affects the temporal lobes. but your whole brain can be affected

I used to have a lot of t lobe seizures but they've stopped. The seizures started out small and I would be kind of dazed but then go back to normal. Then they got bad and it was like a rolling brownout feeling like watching blocks in a city lose and regain power, and then eventually they all come back online. The last time it happened not all the blocks lit back up. Some stayed dark. That one was like getting hit by a bus, I think I laid in bed afterwards for like 18 hours straight.

So sometimes I get the feeling like a seizure is gonna start, but since the last one it never happened again. It's not the same though. Kind of flowers for Algernon sometimes. Sometimes it's not so bad.

I new I wouldn't last forever.

I think you actually lost that fight (or those fights).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

• Locked thread