Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Glenn_Beckett posted:

oh my loving God, yes. I thought this LP was dead, which is pathetic, considering I declared death at only 14 days, but, ya know...

I came down with a bit of sickness and just loving could not deal with LP poo poo at all last week. I announced it on my twitter but I forget not everyone follows me on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

kalonZombie posted:

Let's play a video game in a video game and get some meta-commentary about nerds who play too many video games in said videogames.

Episode 9: He Who Dwells ...
Finally got around to watching the evil side and AFAIK, there's no 'Times Square' place in Seattle. There could be (I don't know much about uptown Seattle) but really the place to go where there's a lot of video screens are the stadiums, Safeco field Centurylink field etc.
While there also isn't any large neon-covered buildings there is a case for there being a lot of neon signs in Seattle (Pike Place etc.) so that's not to out of place.

To mention something that is actually in Seattle that's referenced in the game: there isn't a Hing Hay market, (there's Hau Hau market instead) there is Hing Hay Park in the international district. That looks nothing like what Reggi ran through. Alas.

Also there is no Ellefson building (there's a house in suburbs bought by some Ellefsons but that's as close as it gets.)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I kinda figured the ELLEFSON building was an ELLERSON building with part of the R not visible for some reason.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I love the Sly Cooper Arcade game under a cover in Eugene's basement :allears:

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Just wanted to point out the "In-Phở-Mous" noodle restaurant we spent some time in front of in episode 8. Probably an oblique reference to "What The Phở?", which is a small chain of restaurants around here.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
poo poo wrong thread

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 19, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nalesh posted:

God drat it rover, less than 30 minutes after I build my first base on this save, you update and break it :v:

What?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

God drat it, hit the wrong tab :v:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Sorry for the late update. Work has been busy as poo poo so I didn't feel like doing two tracks of commentary editing until the day AFTER the update was supposed to go up.

Episode 10: A Couple of My Bullets ... Good Uncut ... Evil Uncut ... Good Cut ... Evil Cut

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Smoke is like the Phantom Blood of the game. It's fine, and it's good, but it's pretty basic and everything afterwards is just so much better.

That's an anime simile.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Video never clicked for me, so I always thought it was terrible. Even compared to Smoke (but I just went back to Neon as soon as I could).

I'm interested to see what I was doing wrong in the upcoming videos.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Video can't really fight for poo poo, but flying around with it is one of the most fun things in a game. It's really nice to control. I'd say it's second only to Fetch's running in the DLC.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Heh, "Video Torrent"

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
Yeah, I've always kind of wondered what kind of use a Paper power would be in battle. Maybe they give enemies paper cuts? That's all I can think of.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Hey, occasionally Skippy and I do riffs on random stuff. Not nearly as often as I would like but ehhhh.

Today, we did one. It's already good to go, so here you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMFpiWz9DA

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

slycooper20 posted:

Yeah, I've always kind of wondered what kind of use a Paper power would be in battle. Maybe they give enemies paper cuts? That's all I can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEgiKVHtKEA

I suspect Read or Die is a major part of the reason anyone was excited for paper powers.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Doesn't hurt that making paper airplanes to glide around the city while you ride on top of em is the exact type of goofy you need in this type of game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I had Video Killed the Radio Star in my head during this episode.

It was on the radio as I was coming home. Coincidence!?

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
How Paper works as an element is that Celia transports herself by turning into a cloud of paper scraps, and attacks people with (very deep) paper cuts and paper darts. I don't think you ever see her use it offensively, but you do see the aftermath and it's kind of a bloodbath. As I recall she's also able to create incredibly detailed papier mache replicas of things, and that's how she "faked her death" at the facility.
Regarding her apparent death it was with Augustine's help, and she then served as an assassin for Augustine.

Spoilers are for Paper Trail only, I left out some stuff that would also spoil the main game.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Of course Evil Delsin sounds like he's flirting with Eugene. Only sappy good guys believe in monogamy.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I think it's neat the way Delsin pixelates when he's using the video powers. You can really see it in the cutscenes when he blows up a mobile command center - his arm goes all pixelly when he shoots the side of the core, and then he pixelates completely when he dives out of the way of the explosion.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I got the game because of this LP, and I am playing around with neon after playing with smoke.

Playing as a good guy, and I kind of like smoke better? It might be because I am absolute garbage the worst at aiming, but smoke has a better grenade, and air dashing feels cleaner in combat than the light speed dash. LS might be better for transversing the city, but if I am trying to stick to the rooftops during a fight, I end up overshooting/turning at weird times and missing the action.

Also, for breaking up drug deals, smoke grenades are stupid effective. Center it right, and you can subdue every single dealer off one grenade (followed by furiously mashing triangle), and blow up the stash too. Neon's grenade is so much smaller, and since the blast makes the enemies float for 2 seconds instead of cough for 6, you end up needing 3-5 grenades to make it work.

Haven't gotten video yet.

Also, also, I do not like missiles. Smoke missiles feel like they have a weird arc, and I do not like charging the Neon Missiles, especially since it seems like the basic Neon shot is stronger than Smoke's.

EDIT: I caught up to the LP, and I have found out that you can beat up the Akurans for good karma. You just have to bully the bullies so that when they shoot first, you shoot last. (Shoulder check them until they pull out their guns.)

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 25, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I can't believe megahipster Delsin has befriended a nerd. Wow man. Just wow.

Episode 11: Eugene Sims ... Good Uncut ... Evil Uncut ... Good Cut ... Evil Cut

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 30, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

New discovery:
Conduits are hollow

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Anyone who's ever played Blood Omen should be real, real familiar with vae victis, considering the main character says it about every third attack.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Do we have an over/under on if Delsin is more powerful than Cole yet? I would've loved to see that as some kind of super secret boss.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Do we have an over/under on if Delsin is more powerful than Cole yet? I would've loved to see that as some kind of super secret boss.

Considering at his most powerful Cole could use electricity to travel back in time, I'm gonna lob a "probably not" here. It's been shown in-game that even at his most powerful, Delsin is one of those "jack of all trades master of none" characters. He can use Neon, yeah, but not nearly as good as Fetch. He can use video, sure, but he can't turn himself into some giant angel/demon hybrid that shoots lasers from his eyes. I don't think it's a matter of practice, either, like Bobbin has said. Thinking back on it, Delsin has truly reached his potential using the shards we've been absorbing, and we can't get any more powerful. He may have variety on his side, but on his own Delsin seems to be weaker than other Prime Conduits.

If he ever were to fight a clone or whatever of Cole, he might win due to having enough options that he doesn't need to scrounge around for a power source, but if he was limited to one power I think Cole would kick his rear end.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's a shame Delsin is limited to using only one power at a time and cannot use them all at once like the Avatar from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Depends how you classify powerful, raw power? Hell no, Cole is practically a WMD. But I do feel like Delsin is more powerful in terms of adaptability, raw power only means something until someone finds out how to counter it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Eugene might actually be the most powerful conduit in the game. He is just severely lacking in confidence. Considering he can summon an angel swarm as his default level to presumably anywhere on the island (given the distance between his base and the bridge), and if he is local can bring in He Who Dwells, I am pretty sure a sufficiently motivated Eugene could solo the game?

To point, Delsin could "beat" fetch in a 1v1, mirror battle, but when he beat eugene, it was because he ran out the supply of Video, while he still had Neon and Smoke, pitting a 20 something parkour hipster with super powers against some nerd teen.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Gensuki posted:

To point, Delsin could "beat" fetch in a 1v1, mirror battle, but when he beat eugene, it was because he ran out the supply of Video, while he still had Neon and Smoke, pitting a 20 something parkour hipster with super powers against some nerd teen.

Delsin also beat Fetch by absorbing all the nearby neon lights and thereby robbing her of her resource, too. So in both cases he's essentially leveraging his adaptability to stop otherwise unstoppable beings.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Overall it pretty much boils down to Versatility vs. Sheer Power.

Both have cases where they straight up win and in all other cases it matters more how they leverage their advantages against their disadvantages and versatility has more leveraging options.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Eugene might actually be the most powerful conduit in the game. He is just severely lacking in confidence. Considering he can summon an angel swarm as his default level to presumably anywhere on the island (given the distance between his base and the bridge), and if he is local can bring in He Who Dwells, I am pretty sure a sufficiently motivated Eugene could solo the game?

One of the points of the prequel campaign is that Eugene doesn't have to be present in the fight to actually fight. He can use constructs and illusions to fight for him and can have a near limitless stream of them. Delsin won in part because he was actually able to track him down and corner him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eugene plays Coles and Conduits.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I prefer Brookes and Bioterrorists myself

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Delsin also beat Fetch by absorbing all the nearby neon lights and thereby robbing her of her resource, too. So in both cases he's essentially leveraging his adaptability to stop otherwise unstoppable beings.

To be fair, he didn't have any Neon powers yet. He couldn't do anything BUT drain the lights.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

This is Seattle.

It'd be Conduits and Catacombs :colbert: (it's really hard to come up with a one-word thing for Seattle's underground is though since it's so weird.)

or Bioterrorists and Basements.

Successful Student
Jan 29, 2009

kalonZombie posted:

Considering at his most powerful Cole could use electricity to travel back in time, I'm gonna lob a "probably not" here. It's been shown in-game that even at his most powerful, Delsin is one of those "jack of all trades master of none" characters. He can use Neon, yeah, but not nearly as good as Fetch. He can use video, sure, but he can't turn himself into some giant angel/demon hybrid that shoots lasers from his eyes. I don't think it's a matter of practice, either, like Bobbin has said. Thinking back on it, Delsin has truly reached his potential using the shards we've been absorbing, and we can't get any more powerful. He may have variety on his side, but on his own Delsin seems to be weaker than other Prime Conduits.

If he ever were to fight a clone or whatever of Cole, he might win due to having enough options that he doesn't need to scrounge around for a power source, but if he was limited to one power I think Cole would kick his rear end.

I don't think we've actually seen Delsin at anything even remotely approaching his most powerful though, especially if we're comparing him exclusively against characters that have the benefit of years of experience with their powers. Delsin's had, what, days? Maybe a week. Absorbing cores and shards might get him to the limit of what he can do with other people's powers but I don't think it's reasonable to assume that he'd never be able to learn how to use his own power (i.e. being a Conduit Conduit) any better than he can right now.

And considering that every time he's copied someone else's power so far it's required direct hand contact, knocked him out, AND locked him out of most to all of his other powers for a while, I think it's fair to assume that Delsin kind of sucks at using his own power right now.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Yeah, I am sure if there were an infamous, second son, two, he'd have hybrid powers and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Infamous 2 had power combos, sort of.

• Locked thread