Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I really enjoy the inFamous series. Though this game has some bad points--it is, or at least feels, much shorter than the other two--I think it is still a strong entry.

Chimera-gui posted:

I'm curious to see how this game's execution of the morality system fairs compared to that of Knights of the Old Republic. I say that because I watched SF Debris' LP/Review of both KotOR and Dragon Age Origins and one of his biggest criticisms of the former was how black & white its morality system was whereas the latter had a more nuanced choice system that at some points presented two choices that could both be considered bad for different reasons such as backing the Dwarven king.

With the exception of some choices in 2, the morality in these games are more selfish/selfless instead of good/bad. The choices are still highly demarcated, but it's nice that the character isn't either the greatest person or the worst person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

That is a problem with the morality system in this game, and most games with a morality system. Even games that have a more complicated system, such as Catherine's "are you a cat person or a dog person" or the non-choices in Life is Strange, the player's choice is inspired by what is best for the game rather than knee-jerk, on-the-spot ethics. The player asks "what will be advantageous?" rather than "what would I really do?"

inFamous might benefit from an option when you start the game that asks you if you want to be good or bad. Both sides of the story are fine, but it is silly to think that maybe, in this one choice, Evil Delsin will decide to do good.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

RickVoid posted:

Story and Gameplay:

Story changes would probably be the hardest to make good because game stories are always heavily scripted. It seems the most that comes from a story change is some different incidental dialogue down the line. The choices can be subtle or they can be overt, but it'll just change dialogue and not the actual story. Even something like The Stanley Parable where every story "segment" is based on the character's actions, the illusion fades when you realize that the story doesn't actually matter, and that the story was compiled before hand. Your not actually creating the story, you are just choosing which piece comes next. The hypothetical you give is complicated and would sound good, but it would still fall victim to the fact that the circumstances surrounding the situation need to be scripted.

As for gameplay: I always thought it would good, especially in a game like inFamous, to tie difficulty into morality. By being good, by choosing not to take the easy route and just leveling a block with superpowers, the citizens treat you nicely and feel less inclined to join the bad guys. Meanwhile, by taking it easy and destroying without discretion, the bad guys get more volunteers or find funding for better equipment. The morality system would not just be better, but would also allow for better replay value, if the two opposites changed how the game played.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

The continuity it the three games' stories has been iffy since inFamous 2. The games have a lot of weak spots and plot holes that they hope you don't think about.

The important parts: Conduits do occur naturally. The raysphere just jumpstarts when a conduit "awakens" to their power. The raysphere kills people and emits radiation. Both non-conduits and conduits who hadn't awaken their powers are susceptible to this radiation, creating the big, bad illness. The Beast could cure conduits by awakening their powers. GoodCole's ending in 2 has all of the conduits die around the world, regardless of whether they could or couldn't use their powers. This means that the conduit gene has to be some mutation that occurs later in life, or the game just hopes that their lose definition of "conduit" allows for leeway.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Smoke is, I believe, stronger than neon. However, I felt that there wasn't really a need to use smoke after getting neon, or to use neon after getting the next, outside of personal preference. Attack wise, each power offers different advantages, but the traversal capabilities get better and better. Because neon lets you run up buildings without having to find a vent and because the third power lets you do the same but faster, I primarily used the most current power. I think the developers were aware of this to some extent, which is why they included the mandatory smoke sections.

• Locked thread