Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hmm yeah goatdrügs, you know how to get me hard :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

He practiced doing them again and again before recording episodes. He had chops he wasn't some improv master.
He would shoot an entire 13 episode season in like 2 days.

It followed the format of: he would paint a painting off camera, then he would paint it on camera looking at the one he painted earlier as a reference (this is what you see on twitch), and then he would paint a third version of the painting and they'd take pictures of brush strokes and stuff for his instructional material that his company sold.

PBS didn't pay him for the show. He did it for free.

Bob Ross gave away all his on-show paintings to PBS and almost never sold his personal paintings.

Bob Ross really grew to dislike the afro but kept it anyway because he's a relatively savvy businessman and figured without it his show would lose popularity. He even put it on the packaging of his paints and art supplies.

Bob Ross was in the air force for twenty years.

Bob Ross really liked wild life and would record squirrels in his yard, and he was going to do a show exposing people to the wonders of woodland creatures but then he died instead.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 1, 2015

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i wonder if bob ross' military record is the source of the myth about mr. rogers being a navy seal (combined w the pleasurable contradiction that perpetuates it)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

He also donated every painting he made to PBS studios so they could auction them off and get some money to support themselves. All of his income came from the sale of his art products, how-to videos, and from the group of traveling instructors he had.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
god i love this man. he's makin my day. all those happy little accidents, beatin the devil outta those brushes,

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
chillin w/ my infant daughter sleeping on my chest, watchin bob ross. a good sunday

edit bob ross says "twitchy" on stream and the chat goes wild

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 2, 2015

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.

Turpitude posted:

chillin w/ my infant daughter sleeping on my chest, watchin bob ross. a good sunday

edit bob ross says "twitchy" on stream and the chat goes wild

Exposing your infant daughter to twitch chat is child abuse fyi

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Your Rain posted:

Exposing your infant daughter to twitch chat is child abuse fyi

thank bob she's illiterate!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Asclepius Hot Rod
Apr 5, 2009

uggghhhhh stop triggering me

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Turpitude posted:

chillin w/ my infant daughter sleeping on my chest, watchin bob ross. a good sunday.

That about as Sunday as it can get.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Bob needs to stop pressuring me to make big decisions. I'll decide when I'm ready Bob. Maybe I just want a blank blueish skyline! :colbert:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pawn 17 posted:

Yeah chat is actually surprisingly chill and funny for the most part. It's like Bob has calmed the raging beast. Maybe they should show the Joy of Painting in prison or something.

That actually sounds like a really really good idea.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 2, 2015

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I hope this somehow ripples out into gaming culture and calms everybody down.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
unwinding with a drink and some bob ross this evening :dukedog:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I hope this somehow ripples out into gaming culture and calms everybody down.

Bob Ross cures gamergate.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
watching it again :allears:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

How about we put a big happy tree right in front of the whole scenery, covering everything? It's your world.

*NO, BOB, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I like when twitch chat spams VAC after he turns his blotches of paint he threw down into something awesome. VAC being valves anti cheat system for their steam games.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

"In the next life I hope to be a cloud"

I hope you are Bob, I hope you are

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Double Bill posted:

I hope you are Bob, I hope you are

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Please rename :yayclod: to :bobross: tia

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
He's doing two paintings at once.

:yayclod:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

He's got a loving baby owl with him!

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Just when you thought Bob couldn't be any more awesome, he brings a motherfucking baby owl

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
"I hope you're plagued with dissatisfaction your whole life"

that's pretty brutal

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

gently caress I missed the baby owl

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

He's got baby robins now. He's just gonna keep bringing in awesome birds isn't he?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
That owl loving rules, holy poo poo.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Beef Turret posted:

Bob Ross stole a bunch of his painting techniques from a mentor, passed them off as his own and never acknowledged or gave the originator due credit

hey dude sick post except:

quote:

“I hand off my mighty brush to a mighty man, and that is Bob Ross"

quote:

TV host and prolific painter Bob Ross studied under Bill and there learned his wet-on-wet technique, a method of allowing oil applications to run together rather than waiting long periods for each layer to dry.[1] Ross dedicated the first episode of the second season of The Joy of Painting to Alexander, explaining that "years ago, Bill taught me this fantastic technique, and I feel as though he gave me a precious gift, and I'd like to share that gift with you [the viewer]".[2]

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
drat it I wanted to see twitch chat lose its poo poo when he started bringing out the baby animals. I remember an injured baby squirrel that he had on one episode back in the day.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Its kind of neat to watch a show I really loved as a small child and find out its still just as good. :unsmith:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

drat it I wanted to see twitch chat lose its poo poo when he started bringing out the baby animals. I remember an injured baby squirrel that he had on one episode back in the day.

They really liked the owl. Bob made the owl a happy tree to sit in. It was a small tree of course, because the owl is just a baby.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

You can start to see him getting weak now. Kinda sad. IIRC the last show was taped a couple of weeks/days before his death.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I love bob ross

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

mike12345 posted:

You can start to see him getting weak now. Kinda sad. IIRC the last show was taped a couple of weeks/days before his death.

Current episodes are from 1989 and isn't there like 3-4 days of marathon to go?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i thought you guys were joking about him saying stuff about kicking puppies but i finally heard him say it this episode.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

JiveHonky posted:

i thought you guys were joking about him saying stuff about kicking puppies but i finally heard him say it this episode.

Kicking the dog is actually a metaphor he really seems to like for some reason.

Metanaut posted:

Current episodes are from 1989 and isn't there like 3-4 days of marathon to go?

Guess they'll just loop it ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4AjMW-UEws

• Locked thread