Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
i like bob ross imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
didnt he used to be a screaming psychopathic drill sergeant before he got sent to alaska where he taught himself to paint and chilled out or something

thats what i heard

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

According to wikipedia

Having held military positions that required him to be, in his own words, "mean" and "tough", "the guy who makes you scrub the latrine, the guy who makes you make your bed, the guy who screams at you for being late to work", Ross decided that if he ever moved on from the military, he would never scream again

What a guy.

:allears: what a chill dude

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

twoday posted:

Also, didn't bob Ross beat the poo poo out of his wife?
lies

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Bardeh posted:

How does he never mess it up :psyduck:
No mistakes. Just happy little accidents.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I can't stop laughing at all these 15 year olds in twitch chat shouting "LORE DUMP" every time Bob mentions some old trapper who lives in a cabin or the horse that drinks in the stream or whatever

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I've just seen some people in chat of a whole other gaming stream typing "happy painting god bless" out of nowhere at the end of a round lol

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
drat it I wanted to see twitch chat lose its poo poo when he started bringing out the baby animals. I remember an injured baby squirrel that he had on one episode back in the day.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

MiracleFlare posted:

Watching this is really getting me interested in learning how to paint again, or at least getting back into sketching; I've even been digging through my old art projects. And cringing a bit. And knowing exactly what I'd redo if I had the resources to do so. Long story short I haven't been able to make physical art in over five years, but this is reminding me how fun it was, and especially how much I liked oil paints even though I only used them twice. I'm still not in any position to buy art supplies, but maybe one day I'll finally be able to have my own canvases and oil paints... :gbsmith: At least I've got a tablet I can use to practice color and value with, even if it's the textures I miss the most.

I'm also endlessly impressed with his finesse with a knife because seriously I tried that once and it was like I smeared poo poo on a neon square. (In hindsight maybe my first problem was painting the canvas neon green.)

I'm gonna miss the final few hours of the marathon and I'm kind of sad I'm not going to see the chat's reactions. Yeah, it's not exactly intelligent discussion, but in spite of that there's something charming about seeing Twitch almost unanimously supportive of one person.

And to think that until this past week, my only knowledge of Bob Ross came from the time that I exhausted my Purple Mountains' Majesty crayon trying to keep up with one episode. :allears: It had to have been a couple of years after he died because otherwise I'd have been too young to scribble anything except a single-color blob. But I never bothered to look into him even though I had that one single memory, so it's been really fascinating and inspiring to learn about him over this week.

Stream's been having an interesting night and going on and off; the recordings went out again while I was typing, and apparently now it's airing something that was shown earlier.

maybe you should become a novellist

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
At work we've got original portraits by people like reubens, van dyck (:byodood:), Gainsborough etc and cause I work here I can get right up close with them and let me tell you that even the most spectacular paintings in history look crude as gently caress up close. There's one in particular of Charles I in armour by van dyck and from a distance it looks so delicate and gently done, and then you get up close and you can see how the reflections on his armour* are just smeared white paint that could have been scraped on with bob ross's knife (they look absolutely perfect from a few feet away). Canaletto was the same too - you get up close to it and his human figures are just indistinct smudges of paint, but from a distance they're perfect little people.
It's more than simply skill with a brush that makes a great painter imo - it's the ability to anticipate how the brain fills in missing details, about mastry of colour tones and lighting, scale, perspective etc. Actual skill or technique with a brush seems to be one of the least important aspects of once you reach a bare minimum of talent.

It's all a roundabout way of saying that I think (with lterally zero artistic training or experience lol) that that bob ross technique might not be a distinct and separate way of painting to traditional fine art - all that differentiates a bob ross from a van dyck is a mastery of something other than the ability to manipulate a brush - it's a knowledge of all that ephemeral stuff like lighting, anatomy, perspective etc.

e: im gay

e: this is the van dyck one:

If I'm passing later and anybody is interested I'll try and get a snap of the armour from a little closer.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 5, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

So here's the portrait as you'd usually see it, but get up close (and we're not talking microscopic here) and....

poo poo looks like it was slapped on by a bricklayer with a trowel. But it doesn't detract from the whole picture at all.

I hope that comes across - i'm phoneposting and I don't know if imgur is going to gently caress with the resolution or whatever until I can look at it on my desktop when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I want to see bob's load

• Locked thread