Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I'm starting to feel like I'm finally getting the hang of the match engine, and how to utilise stats and assistant feedback to get back into games. I'm still complete dogshit at away matches but am getting there slowly. Guide to Football Manager has been pretty invaluable in helping me understand how the match engine works, in particular.

What do I do when my assistant is complaining about the amount of space the opposition is getting in our penalty area? It usually happens when I'm attempting a counter-attacking formation and I don't want to put pressing on higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Thanks for that - I'm starting to get the impression that the assistant feedback is more harm than good in most situations. I appreciated you mentioning that they'll start suggesting long balls if pass completion is high, that's something that never occurred to me and yet another example of how infuriatingly counter-intuitive FM can be.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Went completely mental at this, not going to lie.

Then I wondered what my reaction would be if the AI won like this?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I find most players respond positively to "prove yourself in training" or "[player name] is in the form of his life", I haven't yet encountered my old favourite "I don't really care to be honest, I just want to leave". Really, I just think there needs to be some nuance involved in the conversations, the second a player reacts negatively it becomes either "gently caress YOU SHITHEAD ENJOY TRAINING WITH THE KIDS" or "I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO IMMEDIATELY RELENT TO YOUR DEMANDS".

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Never, ever give one of the 'rallying cry' team talks when you're near the end of a successful season and in line for promotion/Championship, I once save-scummed just for shits and giggles and literally every option pissed off the majority of the team.

I have also never experienced any kind of practical or noticeable difference between using the different tones.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 23, 2015

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Very comforting that the one constant that's existed since I started playing way back with CM97/98 is back again: Being 2-0 up at half-time is absolutely the worst place to be. The opposition will come at you like a bat out of hell and will, will, get a goal back at some point between the 60th and 70th minute then equalise just before or just after the 80th. Feels completely inevitable and literally nothing I do stops it. Every single time.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 23, 2015

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I'm really poo poo at this game :(

I'm managing my beloved Coventry City and actually got promoted as champions in my first season, but the Championship is completely kicking my rear end. In the first season, I panicked and relied on downloaded formations then fell into a complete tailspin after Christmas, eventually losing in the Playoff final. I then determined to try and figure this out on my own, I think I've gotten the hand of creating a possession-heavy tactic but my first four games have been 0-1, 0-0, 1-2 and 0-0. Basically my players ping the ball around the whole game, make a few chances but smack it off the post or goalkeeper then are undone when the defence shits itself over a cross. Once I'm a goal down I'm completely out of ideas and it's gotten to the point that I've ceased to get any enjoyment out of the game. Even after my new Chairman gave me a £8 million transfer budget (after setting the minimum expectations to automatic promotion) which I used to kit out the squad, I still have one of the worst teams in the division and I'm now at a loss as to how I can win games.

What kind of team instructions would be good to boost the chances created? At the moment I'm only running retain possession and much more closing down.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

With a heavy sigh, I reloaded last night. Game against Wolves. Once again, majority of possession/chances but all highlights were going to Wolves and they scored after a midfielder was put through by a lone striker holding up the ball while my back four stood there and appreciated the spectacle (despite closing down being on 'much higher').

Eventually equalised in 85th minute, DM is sent off for professional foul literally immediately afterwards. Eventually lose 1-3.

I dunno guys, I'm currently going through one of my "this game is rigged, white-hot bullshit" phases and I don't know if I can be bothered to carry on.

I might have a go at that direct counter tactic, is the standard 4-1-2-3 suitable for that (I have two excellent wingers)? Every guide I've read has suggested wide midfielders but I don't have any suitable players. Is Counter mentality meant to be rigid or fluid as well, because I've never been certain on that. And should all players be on Support, like a possession tactic?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Thanks for the hints, drew first game 1-1. Once again, majority of possession and shots but very wasteful and they scored with their only shot, but looked a lot stabler defensively.

Incidentally, THEIR GOAL WAS A STRIKER HOLDING UP THE BALL OUTSIDE THE AREA THEN PUTTING IT THROUGH TO A MIDFIELDER. THE OPPOSITION CYCLES THROUGH THE SAME THREE GOALS EVERY SINGLE TIME I SWEAR TO GOD

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I found out today that the game no longer recognizes when you demote a player because of missing training. So, when he asked why he was dropped I had to back down because the other options made no sense. GOD drat IT

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 7, 2016

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

God, it just drives me insane. They couldn't at least make them unstoppable bullet crosses rather than the pathetically swiped non-entities that go to the far post at 5mph while five different defensive players just stand there and watch it

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Ended up playing a lot of the game over Easter. As hard as I try to enjoy it (and am doing pretty decently with a promoted Leicester side), it just drags me kicking and screaming out of the experience when it feels like every opposition goal is either:

1. Header from a set piece (which I know is probably my tactics but absolutely nothing I have tried works)

2. Byline cross converted at far post

It also feels like an awful lot of goals are scored by ludicrous glitches in the match engine that go completely unacknowledged by the commentary. So many goals resulting from missed routine headers, midfielders inexplicably threading a backpass through to an offside striker, tackles sailing across goal to an unmarked winger or terrible backpasses from defenders. Yes, yes, I know that these things happen IRL or it's just the match engine manifesting a too high defensive line or whatever the gently caress but the fact of the matter is that this is what we're presented with and it simply isn't fun or enjoyable to watch a match outcome be effected by the match engine losing its poo poo.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Dominated possession and lost 2-3. 3 shots, 3 goals, all from set pieces.

This is me officially declaring that I am done with this game.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Mandalay posted:

Okay, Arsene.

My team was mentally strong

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Had some time to play the demo over the weekend.

I kind of like the new social feed option and there actually seems to be a fair bit of variety to the comments. I have no idea what I'm meant to do with all the new analyst stuff nor understand what changes I'm expected to make based on it, but it all looks nice.

The match engine seems largely the same to me; full backs are still way overpowered so your LB and RB will become your star men, and the majority of goals will be from byline crosses slammed in at the near or far post. I'm also bizarrely seeing a lot of red cards, usually to the opposition for second yellows.

Now wish to update this with: We're now back to there being no more near misses, shots now either sail miles over or scrape the corner flag. Bullshit cheap goals involving inexplicably terrible backpasses are also back with a vengeance. And yes, for all the talk of thousands of new media items the only new one I've seen so far is questions about intentions for trialists, which I will admit is welcome but it seems to be the exact same one every time.

It's weird, overall I'm enjoying the game a lot and the match engine does feel more refined and less ridiculous than last year's but a lot of the annoyances still remain and it's a shame.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 7, 2016

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Save scummed last night because I lost 1-0 and their goal was a full back back-passing too lightly, the goalkeeper dallying and a striker running uninvited to the ball. Basically gently caress losing because of some cheap match engine glitch.

I know that SI are absolutely insistent that there's no 'scripting' but what else are we supposed to think? I was on a five game unbeaten run and it felt a lot like the game going "no, gently caress you, it's time for you to lose so I'm going to pull some cheap arse gravy and make sure that happens". This has been a problem for as long as I can remember and I'm at a loss as to what else I'm supposed to get from poo poo like this.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

The Big Taff Man posted:

So youre a cheat basically?

Losing because the match engine decides it's going to throw a shitfit and make your defender essentially give a goal to the opposition, in a way that would be roundly and thoroughly mocked for years to come in real life, is not fun or enjoyable; you can't even say "these things happen in real life" because it happens within the match engine so often, to an unrealistic degree. Plus it isn't acknowledged by the commentary or even by the player ratings most times.

I know they have to put errors into the ME, but my point is that they happen too often and to no reaction in-game. And as I've said before, this a problem that's been around at least since they made the move to the 3D engine.

I don't reset every time I lose but reserve my rights to have a temperamental reaction when the game glitches.

jyrka posted:

Did you lose the match again then? If not, there isn't scripting, right?

I did actually lose again, this time 0-2. One of those typical "they scored with both chances and we didn't make the most of anything" games that are very annoying but close to real life.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Cthulhumatic posted:

I was always under the impression that the numbers behind the engine are correct (you lost 1-0, likely on a player error), but the match engine can't make that look even somewhat realistic. So you get goalkeepers crushing the ball into their own net, backpasses that turn into screamers, etc.

Yes, this is my point: It needs to be addressed and sorted out. 'Player errors' need to be reflected better than "tame header the CD inexplicably decides not to chase" or "player stops stone-cold dead after miscontrolling" or "goalkeeper drops ball and doesn't consider it worth the effort of picking up again". This is what makes one feel like the game is rigged against you.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

No, I said that's how it feels. I'm aware that all this poo poo is the match engine manifesting itself in ridiculous ways.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Mandalay posted:

I see fluke goals go both ways. Having just completed a FM17 season, they're in the minority. Deal with it?

I do deal with it, I play the game regularly and mostly enjoy it. They're in the minority but happen often enough for me to consider them a problem.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Does having a fitness coach make a difference to injuries? In one of my saves I didn't bother getting one, and it feels like players are dropping like flies in both training and matches.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Was given the full version of the game as an early Christmas present; this is a reminder to you all to save your demo games to 'local' and not to the Steam cloud; otherwise you'll lose everything. Don't be me, guys :(

I've now gotten to that point where I feel like I've got the tactics sorted but the profligacy is killing me. Every game my team dominates possession and shots, but every shot is charged down, saved or hits the post. Then the opposition score with ruthless efficiency and completely shuts up shop. So many 0-1, 1-1 or 0-2 results from this. Gets pretty frustrating but I guess that's football. Or Football Manager.

I'm still getting to grips with team talks. Assertive seems to get the best results (especially 'show me something else' if you're drawing or losing at HT) but my players are constantly nervous/very nervous and nothing seems to help.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

One of the first things that happened to me post-update was an AM message saying "player has suffered an injury but should be able to continue, it looks like defaultinjury#1"

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Mandalay posted:

Any good features in FM18? Steam is tempting me with a 25% preorder discount for owning 17.

Wing backs are now mere galactical superstars rather than terrifying universe destroyers?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

New features video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1gPUeY0EY

I can't watch it at work, it looks cringey as gently caress with a brief glimpse of the new UI and some new features at the end.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

This is new: My new club captain consistently refuses to talk to unhappy teammates, saying every single time that he thinks it's something I should be doing.

Never seen it before, in any game. It's pretty cool I suppose.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The 5.6 rating CB being told he really sucked poo poo out there replying back that I need spectacles because he actually was awesome never fails to make me laugh

"My passing stats were exemplary, are you mad?"

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Downloaded the demo this morning and got about half an hour in.

I've been a CM/FM player since CM97/98 and one thing that has never stopped astounding me are the completely unnecessary, terrible additions that I find it so hard to believe literally *anyone* asked for. This year it's that absolutely godawful music that plays upon launch, what in the holy gently caress could they have possibly been thinking??

Initial reactions are: I'm on the fence with the new scouting, looks great but seems very counter-intuitive and takes too long to do stuff you could do last year; they've overhauled staff search in a way that makes it unnecessarily difficult to do simple things (why did they remove filters??), the new UI generally is... Okay but similarly it feels like I have to click a lot more buttons than last year. It's a pain in the dick having three different categories of Goalkeeping Coach.

Dynamics... Again, I only got about two days' game time, it looks like a good idea that will add a nice new dimension to things and contribute to the Role Playing feel of the game but I feel it's probably liable to the usual FM implosion of being illogical, counter-intuitive and way too influential on results.

Looking forward to cracking open a beer and playing a few matches after work.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I played the demo a fair bit over the weekend and am now two game months in. I am delighted to report that Coventry City are overpowered in FM18, a fairly bog-standard 4-2-3-1 and Cleon's 4-1-4-1 Counter are utterly destroying anyone who wanders into our path, including cup victories over Preston and Brentford. I like the new match engine just fine and it feels like the animations have improved, although all of your favourite matchday glitches are back with a vengeance. In fact, the demo loads a lot faster and runs a lot quicker than FM18 which is nice.

I am also noticing a lot of opposition red cards, a lot of penalties and Goalkeepers are *constantly* parrying tame crosses out at the near post for a cheap corner, at least once a game.

The new team dynamics are pretty cool and definitely add a new dimension to squad management, asking an influential team player (rather than the captain) to talk to an unhappy player is neat but it seems completely random whether the game suggests that or the captain.

The team briefing is cool, although I just delegate to the assistant as there's an insane amount of micromanagement and clicking if you try to do it yourself. There's options for scenarios in team briefing (setting team instructions if 2-0 up etc) which is goddamned amazing and something I've wanted for a long time, but I can't find any way of doing this in the normal tactics screen.

I'm struggling with the new scouting so far, I really don't like how different the options are if you delegate to your Chief Scout and how there's no overlap at all; the new Short-Term Focus option is terrific but disappears if you choose to set assignments yourself. Generally, my scouts don't seem to be finding an awful lot of players and keep bothering me about 1.5-2 star players I'll never be interested in.

Overall... I think it's pretty good, but as Dallan Invictus said above some of the UI changes are overshadowing positive changes to the gameplay and overall experience.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Nick Esasky posted:

Man, don't i love it when i go into January top of the board, and then suddenly my guys can't make a pass to save their lives and the same teams i beat up on earlier in the season are all suddenly cutting me apart no matter what i change my tactics to. Anyone have advice for dealing with this BS?

Yes I'm dealing with this too, but it's manifesting in my players suddenly becoming completely unable to defend corners; no matter what I do, they all just stand stock-still wherever they're assigned and let the opposition stroll unmarked into the space. I've drawn or lost five games in a row and every single goal has been from a corner. Have changed the routine around to no avail. So annoying!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Mashed Potato posted:

Just started playing FM21 after a fairly long break from the series, think FM16 was the last I played.

Should I be using shouts regularly? My only experience so far is that 'encourage' seems to have a small positive impact for a few mins at most and that 'fire-up' tanks morale and causes my BBM to dive in with a two footer and get a straight red.

Berate if they concede a goal

Praise if they take the lead

Encourage if they equalise, score in a game they're losing or drawing a game they're expected to lose

Demand more if they're drawing a game they're expected to win (first half)

Fire up if they're drawing a game they're expected to win (second half)

I have never deviated from the above in any way, and it works pretty well.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Playing FM21 and Haaland is basically a cheat code.

Signed him in January of the second season for Manchester United and he has scored 22 in 17 including four in the CL semi first leg and a hat trick in a title fight six-pointer against Liverpool.

Liverpool signed Haaland for £70 million in my current save and they've won the title every year since

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I picked up FM24 yesterday using Lullujo's code.

My tried-and-tested method of taking the game's pre-set tactics and making the individual roles better suited to the level I'm playing - in this case Bristol Rovers in League One - has taken me to an unbeaten start and top-of-the-table in August, including winning my opening game 4-0 away. I can never get myself into the mindset to do any kind of deep dive into the mechanisms of FM tactics, so I'm thrilled the game is working so spectacularly at my level.

One of my least favourite things in FM was attempting to make sense of set pieces, so to me the overhaul of set pieces is nothing short of gamechanging. The set piece creator was great fun and really intuitive, but then it turned out I can just add "set pieces" to the list of attributes when looking for an AM/coach and delegate the whole thing to them! Amazing, 5*, GOTY.

More than anything else, I am amazed at how well the game runs on my laptop, which isn't ancient by any means but was fairly middling when I bought it in 2020. It runs like an absolute dream, takes fractions of a second to save/load and the match engine has never looked this good. The engine itself is starting to actually look like a good representation of a game of football, there's logic to how the players move, interact and react and it's easy to see where tactics are working or not working. One-on-one finishing also seems to have been fixed, unmarked players in the box feel genuinely dangerous rather than constantly smacking it straight at the goalkeeper. The player animations for finishing such chances are also really good and varied.

Apparently player interactions have had an overhaul too, so far the only thing to happen of note is a veteran striker having a meltdown after I criticised his training.

My transfer budget is £0 and my wage budget is -£2k so I have not had any opportunity to try the new transfers system, although I get a lot of emails from "intermediaries" as opposed to agents now.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Starting to get annoyed that I get told that my team doesn't like the team selection, but won't tell me what it is about it, exactly, that they don't like

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Newcastle are a good shout for a newbie player. They have a basically unlimited transfer/wage budget and expectations aren't sky-high.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I see they kept the line of code that activates if you're in the top half of your league on the 1st January, and makes your team play like complete poo poo for no discernible reason :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

From my understanding it’s the game recalculating reputation values and everyone deciding to play more defensively as a result?

I wasn't being serious lol

I got promoted from L1 to the Championship, we were taken over by a tycoon who promised £40 million for new players then he made our transfer budget £450k as opposed to £200k?? Bullshit