Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
That's so unrealistic.

No way are Chelsea playing Premiership football next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Madeira? Should be a piece of cake.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Are wingers supposed to be poo poo now then? My Aml/amr are still playing great.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Also is this guy a random stat lottery win or someone that we should all be buying? He was free just after the second winter break (Feb 2017 I believe) from a Brazilian club and is now (two months after that screen shot) in the running for world player of the year. He's single handedly restored my faith in the box to box midfielder. He's just such an all rounder he has no glaring weaknesses. He's a bit short but that's it. Meanwhile he has amazing ball winning stats and backs it up with both stamina and good enough offensive stats to make chances / always be dangerous.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 20, 2015

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah I doubt he's getting any better. But then as a world player of the year nominee he really doesn't have to in order to be an absolute monster for the next decade.

I'm hoping a big bid comes in though. I'd rather play regens. I have a few in my u21 and out on loan who I want to give a chance next season. This year I'm using an 18 year old striker who has scored roughly a goal a game. England gave him a 3 minute end of game debut too... and he scored. My next captain, an 18 year old attacking midfielder, has also replaced ozil this year. The only real player I'll be keeping us Neymar because he cost me 140 Mil. I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I always like to train players in the role I expect them to one day fill. The only exception is strikers who I tend to train in poacher while I use the complete forward role. Mostly because I want them involved in play but when it comes to attributes poacher is your bog standard goalscorer. And with only one man up front I need those to be right whatever he's doing on the pitch.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

The loading tips are generally bad, wrong and out of date.

But yes. Players can peak late. Every player is assigned a maximum Potential value on creation, and this number does not change expect in weird, exceptional and rare circumstances. A players Current Ability rises based on experience and training.

As a player ages improving the CA value becomes slower and harder, but the potential is still there and can be realised with perseverance and luck. This year the typical player "peak" was lowered to early/mid twenties in response to "real life analysis". But the length of time before a player starts to decline is now longer.

Coach reports take the age factor into consideration and will often say a player's race is run even if it's not. Ignore all ai advice always.

That said, the regen's high value is absolutely not a sign of untapped PA. PA isn't used in value calculations (AI's estimated PA is used, but as you said that includes age so could be wrong anyway). It's more likely that his value is due to a higher reputation than anyone else in the squad. With worse training facilities he could even decline as a player after the transfer!

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I haven't come across that problem, but if you are sure it's a genuine issue and not you just seeing problems not really there, maybe have a defensive, negative tactic that you use for the first five or ten minutes of each half? It'd be handy as a shut the game down when a goal or two up in tighter games anyway.

Check tactics - analysis - goals and make sure it isn't all just in your head first though. I concede 20% of my goals in the first 15 minutes (6/30) which is slightly worse than average (average of 5 per 15 minute spell) but they are pretty evenly distributed through the game for me. I do score a disproportionate amount in the 16-30 period though.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Were you punching above your weight? If so then the opposition have stopped seeing you as a soft touch and started dealing with you as a threat. Your match odds will have changed to reflect that as teams realise you are the form side and a potential title threat. So they will play more defensive against you.

That or did you gently caress up Christmas and end up with an unfit, tired team?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

XBenedict posted:

If anyone is still looking to get the game pretty cheap, it's currently part of a Sega Humble Bundle. Right now you can get it, and 9 other games for under $7.

You get 66% off the game. Not the game itself.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

T + 1 days: Launch day patch reverting any good match engine changes.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'm thinking of getting into this. Should I pick up FM16 during the upcoming steam sale, try to find an older copy (had someone recommend FM12, but for the most part I can't find older versions anywhere but really shady key sites), or maybe just wait for FM17 to fix (or not) all those problems I see people griping about? :v:

[edit] Oh, its on sale, 66% off, right now on steam. I probably should've checked first! :downs:

FM17 will have it's own shiny new problems. The February patch will fix most of them, then create some final problems for FM18 to beat. Think of game breaking errors as the raid bosses of Football Manager. Every few months the old one is defeated but a new, more powerful foe rises.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

Generally you'll get more success building a tactic that makes sense and throwing any old players into it, rather than choosing tactics based on what your players are specifically good at and creating an unbalanced mess of individuals.

I generally go by this but don't be afraid of small changes. The players i have tend to control if I'm using wingers or inside forwards in my wide AM slots for instance. We rely on fullbacks for width anyway though so it's really a difference in how they attack the box and that's about it.

My favourite save so far this year is taking a middling premiership side (Swansea in my case) and trying to do a Leicester. Then build them into the best team in the world. It would have been easier if I was QPR or Palace probably as London vs Swansea and English vs Welsh regens. I'm probably too invested in this save to change now though. I have a spanish regen striker so good I almost want a Swansea shirt with his name on it... Not sure how I'd explain a Swansea shirt to my wife though...

How could I leave him?

Masonity fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 21, 2016

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

im gay posted:

Speaking of previous versions of FM. I have FM11, 12, 13, 14 and I'm too cheap to buy the latest, which is the best version to play while I remain a cheap rear end.

Always play the latest you have. Each new game adds problems but is ultimately a small step forward. Going back is impossible.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

If you don't understand football tactics, downloading a ridiculously over-complicated powergaming tactic with no resemblance to real life football is a poor starting point.

The 4-2-3-1 with three players in the AM line is not something that is used in real life except in exceptional circumstances, when teams are desperate to score and usually hoofing long balls upfield.

It looks and feels kinda like how Arsenal line up. Our wingers are clearly more wide forwards than traditional wingers. I've had tons of success with a 3 man AML/C/R this version.

Or am I missing something?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

It's all about min maxing the transfer market and youth markets so you can have such a good back 4 that you just don't concede many anyway.

If your main striker has more than 90 minutes per goal that's the criminal mismanagement.

edit: Okay, moving them back to ML/R isn't taking too much out of our attack and seems to offer a bit more defensively. The jury is out but I'll give it a few months I guess, see how they adapt.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 6, 2016

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Second best defense in the league this year (32 conceeded, 97 scored)
Best in the league last year (16 conceeded, 108 scored)

It looks far too attacking but it works. Dropping the wingers (the 4-4-1-1 tactic you can see I've added) offers another interesting option / dynamic but I just feel the 4-2-3-1 is stronger with my current squad. I'd love to see how it would have done before I had that level of talent though.

Until you have god tier players it does concede too many. My first season I came second on goal difference with 52 conceded. 40, 45 and 39 conceded followed that (all league winning tallies but far from impressive) before I finally had the quality to actually defend occasionally.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

AP-S, with it's low closing down and forward runs instructions, is a decent option for a holding midfield role. B2B and BWM are among the worst.

Once you have overwhelming quality throwing loads of players up tends to work quite well as the ai cowers in its own box against superior reputations. My careers never last long enough to do that (plus I'm overly sentimental towards my dogshit first window signings).

Unfortunately I still have a hard on for Petit - Vieira. It's the best midfield I've ever watched and I need to replicate it. Petit was more a DLP than an AP but I haven't found the right player for that. Pogba is a perfect Vieira replacement and I have a kid who will be even better.

I guess they had the Romford Pele himself Ray Parlour on the wing who did a lot of covering for Paddy. That and the best back 4 and keeper unit in history.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Waroduce posted:

do i rest before or after matches

I tend to rest both. I'd rather have healthy happy players than over tired mopey ones.

Also potential to be a good premiership winger means that even IF he hits his potential he will be an unremarkable average player in a team finishing 7th or 8th. Not that he'd be a stand out player at United or Chelsea. Obviously the scout may be wrong and he could explode and end up as a leading (average but solid first team player at one of the giants) or world class (or whatever the actual phrase is - this is the one that'd describe your top top top players)

Edit: looked at him and yeah I can't see him making anything of himself. Add 3 to every single attribute and I still can't see an obvious place for him. He just isn't excelling anywhere. Use him for your promotion push and hope a bid comes in I guess.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 10, 2016

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Shazback posted:

Leicester City fan spotted.

It won them the league didn't it?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Just buy people who are unhappy and build on your success. After 4-5 titles you'll be able to get the best of the best.

At the start with Swansea I was signing Brazilians and rejects. By my 3rd season (having a second and top finish behind me, plus a champions league quarter final) I was able to buy Harry Kane. The next year, after another title and a champions league win, I was able to sign almost anyone. By 2022 I was able to buy Pogba for £85 million.

Once you are consistantly doing well in Europe your reputation rockets up.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

What a waste of money

He made my South American Potatoe Chip partner very happy...

I actually regret signing him. He's been great (7.8 and 7.98 averages), but with Pogba and Tielemans (passed up for £15 million early on, then bought from Liverpool for £34 mil) in midfield my kids can't break through in that position, and no-one will give me nearly the £85 million I paid. I should probably cash him in soon given he's 31. He is one of 6 players my assman rates as 4 star ability though, and would be replaced by a 22 year old with 2.5 stars and 4 star potential.

He isn't really even my record signing. Nouri cost me 75 million plus a player who was valued at £25 mil but couldn't get near my team.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

In FM17 we're going to have to hire player liaisons, data analysts and sports scientists.

Can we book Thai prostitutes for the pre season tour?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

I have a question. I manage both a club and a national team. I've noticed something about my national team players. Here's an example: a regen debuts for LA Galaxy at 18 and dominates MLS for about 4 seasons. He's also incredible at the national team level, starting as a MC. He then gets bought by a team in Ligue 1 and is merely ok, putting up average ratings of about 6.7-6.9 (compared to 7.4-7.8 in MLS). With his move to France, he suddenly started playing like dogshit for the national team too.

What the hell? Surely he's still the same player, maybe even a little better after playing with a higher level of competition? Is there some hidden stat that makes players poo poo if they aren't great at a club level?

Morale. Club Morale will have an impact on international and vice versa.

And form.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I'll still be buying it before the beta goes live.

Why?

Because it's a new Football Manager.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I finally gave in and ordered. I wasn't going to bother with the beta this year. I was even thinking about waiting on a sale. I was enjoying my FM16 save still. I had so much still to do...

And now I'm downloading FM17.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Mandalay posted:

Is there a 17 thread

You asked. Now you have to make it.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Waroduce posted:

New year
Same game
same thread

I think you'll find there are 62,000 new features.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I'd look at regen fullbacks. They absolutely kick rear end at a young age in my save .

But Yeah, loan if you can and buy for positions it's harder to loan good players for. A year or two of premiership money and you'll be set I'm sure.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

Won the EFL cup and now have nothing to play for from March onwards.

Who designed this stupid league?

Remember, points mean prizes!

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Eventually I'm going to make a working WM.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Now my maths isn't exactly great but I see a slight problem here....

Your seats are included in the overall attendance.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Mandalay posted:

Any good features in FM18? Steam is tempting me with a 25% preorder discount for owning 17.

It's the new FM. We will all buy it even if the only improvement is a +1 to the title.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

You'd be better off just using a transfer update for 17 if you're after a new database just saying.

Are there any transfer updates that give a +1 bonus to the game name though?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Stotty posted:

FM2018 pre-release seems to be live now

Make the new thread then!

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Pulisic is absolutely insane. I signed him to replace Alexis at Arsenal, and he ended up winning the golden ball and world player of the year, and came second to Messi in world footballer of the year. In the first season.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

It's both these things. The ai can't run preseason for poo poo so the first half a season is easy mode if you do yours well.

How should we be using the pre season? I tend to accept the return date it accepts then let my assman run the friendlies. I don't even tend to gently caress with training much. And I usually start slowly.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

After the first season it doesn't really matter, as you'll already have a decent amount of tactical familiarity built up. 4-5 weeks of random games is usually fine.

When you start a new game you need 10-12 games using one tactic to get familiarity up to 100%. Do that and you can stomp September to January. Have a game every three days with no rest and max out tactical team training focus. Keep the squad fairly small so it learns faster, don't use too many brand new signings who need time to adapt.

There's a loading screen that says to do fitness training in preseason. The game lies, and wants you to fail. Working on physical attributes provides no meaningful benefit compared to getting tactics sorted.

Ah yeah makes sense. I always try to get my tactical familiarity up in the first pre season. It's after that I was hoping for some tips. I tend to start poorly (probably because I tend to make too many changes to my squad; mostly by selling stars and letting kids take their place, and it takes a while for kids to hit their stride) so I was hoping for a way to come storming out the gates.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

KDdidit posted:

After buying every year from CM 3 on I stopped at FM 14. Of all things, reading about the FA Cup draw and remembering the eternal hope of drawing a PL team away and instead drawing Chester City at home as a LLM made me want to play again. Seems like enough years have passed that it's worth buying the new version.

Every new version is worth it. The +1 to game title alone is huge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Bobby Digital posted:

A few years ago Arsenal got taken over a season or two after building a new stadium named after me. My bank balance had been hovering around a billion for a few years, went up to ~1.5 billion right after the takeover, and then dropped to ~300 million in the summer because the new chairman put the rest in a “strategic reserve fund” or something.

That's basically to stop it going over the 2.2 billion mark and rolling over to a negative number. The game does remember that you have that money if you ever crash and burn and end up broke.