Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Sorting out a defense tends to be a bit easier in this version.

Things to remember. The formation you see on the screen is your defensive set up not how you attack.

Attack mentality (vs support) is a real tough one to get right. It also affects a bunch of stuff. Firstly attack players wont do much in the way of defending unless they happen to be in the right place at the right time. They will also take more risks and be more aggressive in trying to score, try the crazy Hollywood pass, take the chance of staying up field rather than tracking back and so on. It also controls how they act when you get the ball, a player on attack will look to get as far forward as he can as soon as you get the ball.

By contract a support player will take safer options that keep possession rather than a killer through ball, their running will often be later and they will pay more attention to their defensive duties.

You want a good combination of roles and probably far less attack roles than most people first think, especially for a possession based tactic. Attack players in advanced positions will pin the defense back leaving more room in midfield to keep the ball but less room to exploit when it comes to goalscoring opportunities, more support guys will run in later and have a higher chance of finding space in the confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

For a perfectly good defense 4 1 4 1 anchor man, wide midfielders all support and counter/defend will work. Obviously will struggle to score but thats where you drop in overlapping full backs,b2b midfielder or more interesting roles to break through.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Also is it me or is scheduling pretty bananas. Whats that no games for 13 days then sat-mon-thurs no games for another 10. I'm playing in league 2 no one has millions of fixtures to calcualate round.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

How can we get you to make a huge effortpost on what you know about this game?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

I found a weird thing when forced into odd formations by injuries. Two false 9 supports and 1 cm a (with an attack minded player) resulted in the opposition dcs marking/closing down the f9s and the cm a running through the gap and getting the ball 1on1 bunch of times. When it worked it was beautiful stuff just couldn't get any consistency with it.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've started enjoying this again and stopped noticing as many absurd scorelines, has there been another patch? Or did I just need to spend a few months not playing before getting lonely and crawling back

Also started playing again. Enoying it too.

Although 16 pages in this thread is a sad state of affairs the move out of ray killed this thread.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

How does club reputation work?

Got Mansfield into the prem, fluked a godlike run at the end of last season to sneak 2nd in the championship while Peterborough threw away every game they could. Problem is my team was barely good enough for the championship and I can barely tempt anyone that woud be considered good in the championship let alone prem quality. Is this just a "your odds are 5000-1" maybe if you survive we will join and will be more reasonable next season or is this fms way of saying win the champs league then maybe you can sign a player from wolves?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

sassassin posted:

That's a very aggressive midfield.

Yeah no wonder his Kok looks so worn out.

Im so sorry.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Nothing will ever beat championship manager and championship manager italia. Released by a company that my brain tells me dolmeo (almkst certainly wrong).

Entering scores from the game manual to avoid piracy (although 2-1 always worked after a few tries)
Max wage of 9,999 (although peter schmiechal always wanted more)
Players randomly moving abroad at end of season and nothing you could do to stop it.
2-3-5 being a workable tactic
Platt buyable for 4m
loving john aldridge buyable and still boss
AC Milans amazing player No. 10

Ahhh memories.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Adrianics posted:

One of the first things that happened to me post-update was an AM message saying "player has suffered an injury but should be able to continue, it looks like defaultinjury#1"

Got that the other year playing 5 a side. Potentially career ending. Doc had no idea how to treat it

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The amount of times over the years I take over some tiny team and eventually blow alll my budget on some guy who must be good because "he has a picture"

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

So when a player fails his concentration roll what happens? 1's random, something else?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

sassassin posted:

16 was the first one I felt was a genuine step back over previous games.

17 is a stable version of that with far less annoying bullshit ruining the match engine.

In summary idk.

Do fullbacks still rule the world?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

sassassin posted:

Yeah high morale's always a performance boost. There's no value in difficult friendly games, pound on some scrubs in preseason (and during international breaks if you've got enough of a squad around).

You might need an intensive preseason between seasons if you make a lot of new signings or are changing tactics dramatically, but even then your players will have some tactical familiarity in some aspects of the system, as opposed to the complete blank slate new careers start off with.

Yeah that blank slate is a really strange way to start.

Whats 4-4-2 boss? Never heard of that.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

So fairly loyal is code for youre a poo poo human being but don't sue us?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Shroud posted:

My heart knows SI won't do it, but they really need to take a year off to prune/update the match engine & database. It's ridiculous when you only have one product, and miss glaring bugs like this, the shooting at acute angles bug, etc.

Maybe charge $10 for roster updates for the "gap" year or something - I don't know.

They could but
:capitalism:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Note that the jan slump isn't a hard coded you lose it's just when reputation is recalculated.

The AI bases it's tactics on your reputation which means if you are a shite team doing well your early season tactics beat teams playing attacking football as they expect to win after Jan teams are playing with more care so if you don't adjust you lose.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

Want FM to start borrowing from the ootp model and get a message on game day saying my star striker fell out of his loft or cut himself chopping vegetables

Do modern fms still have the arse file?

Players used to have their 'beat up a fan' 'miss training after a night at the club' stuff in but disabled for probably liability/not getting sued issues but you could delete a file to turn it back on.

I guess it's probably not a thing anymore and only stuff that affects regens who can't sue you

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Mans posted:

I assume they know fighting these things is basically pointless since literally every team and competition could have a fake name, people would just delete the "fake names" file and download a real name mod.

True but you don't want to give up too easy or every team sends the same letter and it becomes an issue.

Also I never changed Herman Munsterman

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Like it's a game just speed it up for the 3 people that play past 15 years.

It's not absurd that a nation like Hungary winning the world cup and a Hungarian team suddenly being a 3 or 4 year consistent CL powerhouse wouldn't cause a huge boost in younger players, even over say a 5 year timeframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

You say that but in the old championship managers, the ones before the match engine let you watch anything and that still had John Aldridge and Nigel Clough up front for Liverpool.

2-3-5 was an effective and valid tactic for most situations