Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Formed in 2006, Platinum Games Inc. is a video game development company which is staffed primarily by members of the now-defunct Clover Studio, which has produced games such as the Viewtiful Joe series, Okami, and God Hand. Platinum generally specializes in frenetic action, intense battles, and sweet combos. Their library includes hits such as:

MadWorld
Wii

Infinite Space
Nintendo DS

Bayonetta
Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U

Vanquish
Playstation 3, Xbox 360

Anarchy Reigns
Playstation 3, Xbox 360

Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE
Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC

The Wonderful 101
Wii U

Bayonetta 2
Wii U

The Legend of Korra
PC, Playstation 3 and 4, Xbox 360 and One

Transformers Devastation
PC, Playstation 3 and 4, Xbox 360 and One

:siren: UPCOMING SHIPMENT OF PLATINUM ORE :siren:

Scalebound
Xbox One
Gameplay videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR4c3wsFsMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHGwsufc_Vw

Nier: Automata
Playstation 4
Gameplay trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARHVKZ5K1b0

StarFox Zero
Nintendo Wii U
Gameplay videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6PEecNY0Sc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWPd2-_gSJA

Also apparently Platinum has a hand in Project: Guard, another future Nintendo project. Although it's up in the air whether Guard will be its own thing or folded into StarFox Zero.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Platinum makes good stuff

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Platinum is cool I think.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Nier: Automata looks great, such adorable foes.

I look forward to whatever over the top dominatrix is gonna show up in Scalebound.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I'm expecting Nier Automata to be great.

Glad that Platinum Games exists, just imagine if those folks were still working at Capcom roflmao.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I remember somebody mentioning that a lot of Automata is still under-wraps and they aren't piecing out too much wrt what the game is actually going to be like.

Am i the only one that looks at the robots in the trailer and thinks "Placeholder Enemies" for the meantime? I wouldn't be disappointed if those are the final designs, but I could totally see Platinum tossing up a generic model used to just show off the action of the gameplay instead of showing us what the actual enemies will look like right off the bat.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

death .cab for qt posted:

I remember somebody mentioning that a lot of Automata is still under-wraps and they aren't piecing out too much wrt what the game is actually going to be like.

Am i the only one that looks at the robots in the trailer and thinks "Placeholder Enemies" for the meantime? I wouldn't be disappointed if those are the final designs, but I could totally see Platinum tossing up a generic model used to just show off the action of the gameplay instead of showing us what the actual enemies will look like right off the bat.

They have way too much effort to be put in to them for that. Like it's possible they have other enemies that use the same animation bones, but they'd be really similar in shape and it would be a lot of effort for a bait and switch in a game that doesn't have an established setting (outside of being far future Nier)

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope the final designs keep the Emil faces, though.

Nier spoilers(?)
I remember the supplementary stuff saying something about Emil's freaky scarecrow body being a combat android. Given Automata's summary about berserk androids, I think those robots might be a similar model as Emil.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 30, 2015

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Add Starfox.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I did

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

oh it's all tiny.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Level Slide posted:

I hope the final designs keep the Emil faces, though.

Nier spoilers(?)
I remember the supplementary stuff saying something about Emil's freaky scarecrow body being a combat android. Given Automata's summary about berserk androids, I think those robots might be a similar model as Emil.

I would entirely believe this and think SOME of them wouldn't ever change too much, like the giant automata that are shown as bosses/mini-bosses of sorts. But the bog-standard ones you fight with differing body times do seem like they could be swapped out for something different.

Hopefully, if anything, they're just partially finished models that might get more detail later, because the drab brown look to them is a little...weird, given how bombastic the rest of the game is likely to be. If Platinum is doing a Yoko Taro game, I fully expect A: enemies that are hosed up and highly detailed, and B: Yoko Taro rubbing our noses in killing hundreds of enemies that look like an old friend

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Interview for bros: skip the first minute if you don't speak german, but the rest is in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssD3wf5Kp9M

The guy asks "Given nier didn't sell and Platinum make cool games that don't sell, why the gently caress did square enix bankroll this". HARD HITTING JOURNALISM

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holy crap, yoko taro grabs the mic back after being asked "do you like modern games or do you just like to subvert modern games, and if you like modern games what do you like?" where he gives a sort of non-answer of "Yeah I like modern games"

His mic grab was to say "I really, really want to play Undertale but there isn't a japanese localization so I haven't been able to play it. If you at the company are listening, please, please make a japanese localization soon."

Yoko knows just enough about Undertale that he knows he would love the gently caress out of it, but he doesn't know enough to realize that it's made largely by one dude in his mom's basement over the course of 3 years, with his only other work being composing songs for Homestuck.

I wish I could have been in the room when Yoko was told this information so I could see his mind explode out the back of that Emil face

e: Holy poo poo I didn't realize that, as of now, it's only been announced for PS4. If this stays true until the release date I might actually buy a loving PS4 for a video game

bawk fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 30, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"I don't understand. I murdered everyone in this game but I don't really get the plot."

"Sir, did you try not killing everything you encountered?"

"... get the gently caress out of my office."

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Enemies look like the robots from Nier with Emil heads stuck all over them so they're probably meant to be that way. Can't wait to find out at the end of the game that they're all innocent children oh noooooooo

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'd like to see a character action game like Bayonetta or MGR, but every chapter can achieve Pure Platinum without a single fatality. Even better if Platinum themselves can make something like that and integrate pacifism well.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

lets hang out posted:

Enemies look like the robots from Nier with Emil heads stuck all over them so they're probably meant to be that way. Can't wait to find out at the end of the game that they're all innocent children oh noooooooo

Twist: They aren't innocent children. Yoko Taro got to play through all of Undertale and each and every child is actually a genocidal murderer who was bent on killing every single person it could get their hands on. They are, instead, innocent children twisted by a corrupting force who were driven to genocide because of a crazed desire to become strong.

That corrupting force was you all along

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

SurrealityCheck posted:

Interview for bros: skip the first minute if you don't speak german, but the rest is in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssD3wf5Kp9M

The guy asks "Given nier didn't sell and Platinum make cool games that don't sell, why the gently caress did square enix bankroll this". HARD HITTING JOURNALISM

Square Enix: "because :iia:"

I truly believe this is how Platinum continues to get funded for all these exclusives as well as better-than-it-has-any-right-to-be licensed shovelware.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Level Slide posted:

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'd like to see a character action game like Bayonetta or MGR, but every chapter can achieve Pure Platinum without a single fatality. Even better if Platinum themselves can make something like that and integrate pacifism well.

TBF, some encounters in MGR:R are tuned such that getting a No Kill bonus (disabling cyborg enemies by cutting off enough limbs forces them to retreat) is a better path to S-ranks than not getting hit at all.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The initial reveal trailer for NieR Automata (back before it had a name) made me think we were going to play as Kaine but I guess Taro just has a type.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 30, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Undertale has a little buzz in Japan due to an annotated/subbed LP by Hato Moa, the creator of Hatoful Boyfriend.

EDIT also I have faith in Starfox.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I've read that Platinum is only helping out with art assets for Starfox Zero, while the heavy lifting is primarily Nintendo. That said, Platinum makes some drat fine assets.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

they're doing more with starfox zero than they did with infinite space and you have that up there. also i strongly doubt platinum isn't going to have any influence on the gameplay considering that's what they are most well known for. idk.

anyway nier automata looks rad as hell. not sure about scalebound but i'll be waiting for the pc release of that anyway which will probably happen given microsoft's track record with xbox one exclusives

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I've put Starfox Zero in, but I'll hold off on Project: Guard. The multiplayer bit of Scalebound looks nice.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Level Slide posted:

I've read that Platinum is only helping out with art assets for Starfox Zero, while the heavy lifting is primarily Nintendo. That said, Platinum makes some drat fine assets.

That's what they've been saying but the message they put out when they announced the delay made them seem a little more involved than that.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Kamiya has spaffed at the mention of Starfox before so I would be deeply surprised if they weren't balls deep in the gameplay side.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

StarFox Zero was delayed so that every character gets glasses and every lady gets a truck-sized rear end.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Is Infinite Space any good? I've been trying to find a reasonably priced CIB copy for years to complete my Clover/Platinum collection and I don't actually know a ton about it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It's not a character action game like the rest of Platinum's stuff. It's more of a slower-paced space faring adventure thing where you command a starship.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Level Slide posted:

StarFox Zero was delayed so that every character gets glasses and every lady gets a truck-sized rear end.

Good

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Fawf posted:

Is Infinite Space any good? I've been trying to find a reasonably priced CIB copy for years to complete my Clover/Platinum collection and I don't actually know a ton about it.

the actual gameplay isn't that good and the standard anime bridge battle dialogue isnt voiced well in english but it has that insane platinum charm to it if you can stomach those things. also i think it is very long

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was wondering why the Automata gameplay looked so amazing and then I remembered we have yet to get a single real current-gen character action game.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Transformers and Legend of Korra make a single real current-gen character action game between the both of them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't be a Korra apologist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Korra game is one of Platinum's weaker efforts but is still a fun character action game. If it had been sold at full price it would have been absurd but for $15 it's pretty much well-priced.

Transformers is better but also 4 times the price.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked Korra. It was more or less exactly what I expected from a budget Platinum game.

I'll get Transformers when it goes on sale since I already have a holiday backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

show bad, game good

there you go

• Locked thread