Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bored posted:

I can't figure out if all of the great supporting characters are enough to make me want to continue watching the show if they write Nick to be all concerned with his rapist and her gestating rape baby. Or would it be his rape baby since he was the victim?

This show ramped off a cliff, I expect the first episode to explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Festus The Fetus posted:

I actually look forward to a Nick Adalind thing

:getout:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bored posted:

I'm still annoyed because, at some point, the writers actually realized that men could be raped. I think it's weird that they forgot about that so that Claire Coffee could stay on the show.

The sad part is it's not even some over-sensitive PC issue, Adalind has out legitimately raped three people so far with disastrous, and deadly, consequences each and every time. She is the source of everything that goes wrong and they should have put a bullet in her head when they had the chance.

Though that's nothing compared to them repeatedly setting fire to Juilet's character and pissing on it to put it out before finally putting the whimpering thing out of it's mercy. Jesus Christ. I've not seen such a "gently caress you" send-off to a character since Sliders, as mentioned in the last thread.

This show didn't jump the shark, it failed to jump the shark and got dragged under. They'll have to perform miracles to fix this.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 30, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Same here. I've long since learned to cut my losses and stop watching shows I no longer enjoy. This show is right on the edge for me.

You need to learn the joys of staring into the abyss as a show implodes and just doesn't stop, watching as it burns down every good thing about itself to the ground.

Grimm just set a new record for the time taken to do this.

TMMadman posted:

YAY! GRIMM IS BACK!

I find it kind of hilarious we have this one optimistic poster all excited in a sea of people going "gently caress this show!"

I'm shocked it took, what, 6 episodes to bring things down this far? I mean the whole season was lame but..

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oasx posted:

I don't think there was anything wrong with Juliette as a character, the writers just seemed unable to figure out what to do with her, so they kept writing her into these idiotic storylines that made her seem really unsympathetic.
I think this was a decent episode, perhaps the is some hope for the show yet.

Giving her powers and then letting her keep them would have been good, but the actress was clearly looking to jump ship for good reason.

shades of eternity posted:

Can we officially call the first episode of the season the explaining episode?

I didn't realize the show was already back, but I love how I read the entire post-episode thread and there's not a single spoiler. So it really, really sounds truly like a "season recap episode."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So did Adalind have that kid in like, what, 8 weeks after getting pregnant if you stop and think about? Another magic baby I assume.

How they could have redeemed the series: Have him go in that room while she's giving her speech, ask to hold the kid, then lock her in the eyes and state "You are never going to see this child again, either. When you get out of the hospital, I am going to hunt you down, and they will never find you. Enjoy your final day alive." Then just walk the gently caress out and get the child as far away from that psychopath as possible.

Alas they went with a "We can't fight anymore!" bullshit angle that sets off the "they learned nothing" (the writers) bells.

pasaluki posted:

In terms of the episode

My favorite parts of the episode (there should be a video montage of this) is people explaining to Rosalee and Monroe what happened, and both of them recapping it like it was the dumbest thing in the universe and pretty much asking "What the gently caress?" at the end of it. It summed up the end of last season so perfectly.

Also the actress behind Rosalee managed to sound far more upset about Juilet dying than Nick, which I thought was funny. I really hope they don't suddenly have her become a nazi babyeater when the actress gets a better role offer and they decide to kill her off.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 3, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

No I think you've got it. Anybody taking bets on when/how Rosalee turns evil?

I don't know but I hope it's Adalind's fault and nobody cares, again

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hangedman1984 posted:

Quick question: would that refer to a nazi that eats babies, or someone that ate baby nazis?

To match Juliet, I'll go with nazi that eats babies. Maximum evil!

Speaking of her, does anyone else laugh every time she vogues to threaten someone? I'd think even other species would pretty much want to bust a laughing "Look, a scrawny Ewok! I sure am hosed now!" out. Even the ratlings are more threatening than that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

johntfs posted:

Which "her" are you talking about? Juliet's Woge was pretty loving terrifying. It says "I eat children alive and crack their bones for the marrow." Adalind's Woge says "I'm a grumpy kittycat that needs to cough up a hairball." Rosalee's Woge is just one big "Awwwwwwww! She's so cuuuuuutte!!"

Rosalee's.

She does it when she's trying to threaten someone and it's absolutely hilariously non-threatening. She might as well turn into a Smurf.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

And they're also very carefully trying to tiptoe around the fact that the whole reason Juliette changed into a Hexenbiest leading to her death is Adalind's fault. But the way things are going now I'm sure everyone will completely forget about it in short order.

They already seem to have forgotten, entirely. Juliette was turned into a Hexenbeast what, a month or two back? She loving died less than two days ago? Why, sure! Move the rapist that set the events that lead to her death in motion to share your house while having romantic moments! Perfect sense!

... I still think the show would have been redeemed if Nick thought about that for a long time and confronted her about it, and the fact she admitted to having no friends or family, and just end her already. "Better to take care of you now, before you get your powers back. I'll keep the baby, don't need you."

ShakeZula posted:

They're also treating "being a Hexenbiest" like it's a disease that makes you evil (which, admittedly, was also the case with Juliette's transformation), and that Adalind is barely responsible for her actions while "infected." This ignores that when she lost her powers the first time it only made Adalind more malicious in her quest to regain them and take revenge.

I think she caught an STD from Heroes Sylar called THE HUNNNGER because it's the same loving thing they're doing here. It sucks just as much. (It even includes the exact same gaping plot hole of them being twice as evil without powers, until it's easy for the plot).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh God, barely starting this episode and Adalind is already supremely annoying me. "You were my first!" all cute and flirty. For fucks sake, everyone Nick ever loved is dead and it's all her fault so this is just hilariously stupid. I really hope this episode doesn't keep this up.

ED: And even funnier, Rosalie continues to be more upset and sad about Juilette than Nick. Great job.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 16, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tessiebee posted:

Liked it, liked it! No Adalind so there is a plus. Badass Trouble, also fun. Munrosalee adorableness out the wazoo. I really, really loved Munroe's offer to deal with whatever is plaguing Rosalee. Genuine offer in all good intention, not a condescending one. I like that Rosalee has a flaw of putting her head on the sand, its very human. Eve is OK and I like the carefully controlled killer. The back story is nonsense but I like how she is so far.

Trouble, Monroe and Rosalee honestly need to be group-recast to better shows. They're all too good for some of this poo poo. I think Rosalee's legitimately the best actress of the bunch, she needs to do actual movies more. Trouble's actress on the other hand is handling the action persona very well; she'd fit right in with some Marvel Netflix shows or something.

That said, the last couple episodes were a good step up, other than the loving Adalind bullshit. I'm not even one of those over-sensitive nuts who gets pissed about this stuff usually; I even shrugged past the hilariously inept accidental rape scene in GoT, but Goddamn man. With lines like "Somehow I can't help but wonder if you think that should be Juliet's baby," leading to them making out instead of him going "gently caress yes I do, you loving psycho" makes my head want to explode.

ED: All this "Council was destroyed" thing makes me wonder what the gently caress the power-order is in their mixed up mythology.. the Royals apparently were destroyed but the council was not? I thought they were somehow tied? Are they destroyed? What the gently caress is going on?

Also I thought that the guy who killed the council was going to leap up and use a bomb. Are you telling me this supposedly scary powerful organization didn't even have a loving security guard? Watching him murder EVERYONE with dual uzis was hilarious. He might have killed the head guy before dying, tops. Yet another recurring character that went nowhere, and went out with a wet fart - but at least they showed it instead of just saying it happened later.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 9, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aces High posted:

so I guess putting the map together was more important than finding out Trubel's origins. Also after finally catching up with this season I am...not sure how to take everything involving Adalind, even my parents were shaking their heads in disbelief that everything was just "ok" with her given everything she has done since the show started. If she just disappears for the rest of the season and Nick just kills people with Eve and Trubel, I will consider it a plus

"I never expected her to be such a great mother!"

- Has Rape Baby as part of convoluted plan to find her original baby
- Gets close to finding her original baby and knows Meisner has her (probably still does)
- Gives no fucks
- Finds Meisner, still gives no fucks
- Forgets she ever had another child

Mother of the year, 2016

SpannerX posted:

This season has been great so far, actually, but that's for another thread.

As someone who binge watched the early show and is now on the current pain that is the show now, I will say this season "is an improvement over the last couple lovely seasons but that's a bar so low you could just walk over it." A handful of good moments surrounded in stupidity like absolutely refusing to acknowledge or help their other brother even when like 100 feet away that just make it unbearable on top of the utter joke heaven/hell turned into. Both angels and demons went from being powerful titans of power to "we'd get slaughtered by Stormtroopers."

Anyone thinking of checking out that show, watch until the end of season 5 and consider that the end. Maybe watch the evil corporation Pentex season. That is unless you're a "ride this train wreck to the bitter end" kind of viewer, be prepared for a xerox of xerox of a xerox from where the thing started.

But you are right, for another thread.

Deakul posted:

Yeah, I gave up after season 8.
They squandered the Men of Letters stuff so badly, they could've really had something awesome there.

But they have a bunker that they never really do anything with! And.. and.. did I mention they have a bunker?

Oh yeah, one last thing before this de-rail ends: After season 6 or so the show became terrified of having a supporting cast. They write them all out, usually killing them; entities that are on good terms with them, their associates, the entire concept a hunter subculture, any ally they ever touch, etc. All the problems that these allies helped them with (Faking their FBI status, giving them a place to go, etc) were just erased from the writing room when said allies were knocked out.

The show seems to think it should be around the two leads, a third guy who SHOULD be a lead but they barely let into 1/4 episodes and what should be a horrifying villain that's actually just comedy relief. And nobody else. Anyone else will die with only one exception at the moment. The worst part? The supporting cast is largely what made the show good and there's only so much secret keeping and bitching you can watch two people do strapped into a car without really wishing they had somebody to loving cut to.

At least they've been a little better dropping seeeeeecretss which is why I said this season is more bearable but, just drat. That show is screaming at full speed off the rails and has been for 4-5 years.

ED: To put this back into a Grimm context, picture if after this season they write out and kill off EVERY supporting character including the likable and important ones like Monroe, Woo and the whole works and then made 5 more seasons where the entire regular cast consisted of Nick and Hank, then make them spend most of the seasons hiding things from each other and bitching. There, you have Grimm: Supernatural Edition.

Deakul posted:

I tried watching it like 5 years ago and stopped after like 4 episodes with how dull and generic it was, the actors didn't have any charm or anything to them.

Monroe and Rosalee's actors both need better projects, and the woman who plays Trubel would make an ideal action star for a Marvel project or something.

They're all too good for this poo poo, really.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 23, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man that last episode felt like a hijacked script from another show. poo poo, the "amazingly worse than Grimm" Supernatural JUST did a drat wrestling plot, just swap out demons for wessen and it might as well have been on there.

I've seen far, far worse bottle shows but I did have that "WTF am I watching?" feeling.

newts posted:

I went back and rewatched this show because I missed a lot of episodes here and there, and I have to say Adalind comes off a bit more sympathetic that way. I still hate the whole 'rape/living together' relationship because it is seriously messed up, but a lot of the most evil poo poo she does is instigated by someone else.

She tries to kill the aunt and Hank to make Renard happy. Then she rapes Nick in exchange for the chance to get her baby back from Prince whatever his name is. I can kind of understand how she'd be willing to do anything to see her baby again. Actually, the whole baby-stealing plot really makes the main characters look like complete dicks. The show tries to justify it, but holy poo poo! They kidnapped a baby!

Adalind does need to die, though.

I hate these "the powers made me do it!" plots. It was equally stupid as gently caress in Heroes, and for the same reason: We had a whole season where the character was depowered and trying like hell to get their powers back; then they lose them again and act like "Oh I don't want those horrible powers back, they made me evil!"

It literally makes no sense. It's depressing somebody could still gently caress up as bad as Heroes, but they're going for the gold.

ETB posted:

Spoiler: Jesus was actually a wesen.

Other powerful things exist in the universe maybe they'll just flat out introduce the concept of Gods.

That said it's obvious that stick is either one of the nails from the cross, or a part of the cross. Super loving obvious.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 20, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TMMadman posted:

Also Wu is dumb and should tell Nick about his issue right now.

Shows love their SEEECRETS. Some worse than others. The only thing that's making the Adalind crap bearable is the fact Nick already knows because Rosalee continues to be the only smart person in the whole cast and actually loving told him. I was groaning about the Wu thing though. I was like "If he's not going to tell Nick, at LEAST he can go see Rosalee. He knows exactly what she does, and she would have info. Not that Nick's going to decapitate Wu anyway so.."

Also I love how they're all just buying the Captain is evil despite the fact from the very first Goddamn episode that's been his MO. He joins the evil side, plays along, then fucks them from the inside. Literally all he has done from day Goddamn one. Does nobody remember this?

TMMadman posted:

Well, this guy got boned. :v:

Also, from the last episode but is it me or does it seem like Diana is way older than she should actually look?

She has the age old TV trope when a show doesn't want to deal with young children, "Magic-related Aging."

I'd bet money that if she sticks around in a season she'll abruptly be a 20 something.

Aces High posted:

Anyone else watching tonight? Looks like Adalind is going biest again.

Also was totally expecting Monroe and Nick to find the 12th century equivalent of "your treasure is in another church"

The whole thing reminds me exactly of Heroes season 3. THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING.

Remember in Season 2 of Heroes, Sylar lost his powers completely and went on a killing rampage of murdering murderfest to get them back?

Then in Season 3 you see, they decided to completely forget that ever happened and blame them for all his evil behavior. You see, he's innocent! It's his powers that made him evil! Then they flip-flopped on that for the rest of the series, including having him bang Veronica Mars when his powers went down then saw her head off when they went back up.

All the time, again, forgetting the ENTIRE SEASON said character spent without their powers.

In fact that is pretty much blow for blow what they did here.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 23, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ShakeZula posted:

That was actually a great finale, and easily the best the show has been all season. I look forward to Renard trying to pretend he stabbed Bonaparte on purpose to get back on the group's good side next season. Or, hopefully, he just becomes the main antagonist that they can't simply kill.

Sad to see the post count fall through the floor but yeah, honestly the show was the best it's been in a long time. It almost makes me forgive the earlier pile of poo poo it was with last year's finale.

Seriously though, I'm glad it's renewed now. I didn't think I would be saying that last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LivesInGrey posted:

So it's worth watching the second half of the season? I stopped after Nick and Adalind were getting way too close and Juliette came back with white hair.

Honestly it's the best it's been in a while at this point. Last season was so loving incompetent.

• Locked thread