Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Previous Thread Title: Grimm Season 5: Starring Claire Coffee as:"Cute, yet stupid, SERIAL RAPIST"

Next Episode:
Never, god willing

Nick (reading from a Grimm’s journal): “ ‘I arrived in Philippines at Manila May 1904 after a long, ardous voyage -’ ”
Hank: “Do you have to start at the beginning?”
Monroe: “Yeah, pick it up right before the ‘and then I cut off its head’ part.”
Nick: “All right…” (sounding bored) “ ‘Snuck down the putrid alley’… ‘fetid smell of blood’… blah blah blah… ‘and then I cut off its -’ Okay, too far.”

Grimm is a fantasy/horror police procedural, which has took the premise: “What if the classic fairy tales are based on real creatures living in human society” and expanded it into a fairly well-grounded mythology spanning centuries.

One day, Portland detective Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli) started seeing visions of humans changing into strange creatures. His (dying) aunt, Marie Kessler, told him that he is one of a long line of hunters known as “Grimms” who can see the true forms. Aunt Marie left Nick her trailer of weapons, equipment, and a library on many creatures, which Nick uses to solve Wesen-related crimes.

The Brothers Grimm were not just collectors of stories and folklore, but profilers of the Wesen (pronounced VES-sen), a variety of creatures that have been living and passing as humans. Many Wesen have extra abilities, such as super-human strength or resilience which can make them dangerous. Others are generally harmless, content to live ordinary lives among humans. Ordinary humans can’t see Wesen – unless the Wesen want to be seen.

This is the fifth season, so if you’re in this thread, it’s safe to assume you’re familiar with the show, which is why it’s baffling why you’re back after the trainwreck that last season turned into. But hey, this year the writers promise to tell us what the drat keys are for… after they decide themselves.

Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli)

• Decapitare… I think I like that.

Nick is the titular Grimm – a veteran detective, who awakened to his Grimm powers in the pilot episode. He’s struggled with balancing behaving as a normal cop with his ancestral reputation, which was more like decapitate first, ask questions later.

End-of-season 4 status: His mother, a formidable Grimm was killed (offscreen) thanks to Evil-Juliette’s machinations, and then she died too at the hands of Trubel,

Hank Griffin (Russell Hornsby)

• Hearing the truth isn’t the problem. It’s seeing and not being able to explain that pushes you over the edge.

Hank is Nick’s partner on the police force. He’s been married multiple times, and has a rather laid-back personality. He’s gotten pretty good at helping Nick with the Grimm side of things.

Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell)

To take on a Lausenschlange and a Klaustreich at the same time? That takes some really large – well , figuratively in her case – cajones.

Monroe (a Blutbad) was the first Wesen that Nick talked to after getting his powers, and provides Nick with help and assistance with various Weasen-related cases. They grew to be close friends. Through one of Nick’s cases, he met Rosalee, and they were married in the season 3 finale.

That proved to have a downside however, as the local Portland chapter of the Wesen KKK captured Monroe, planning to torture and execute him for his marriage outside his Wesen type. The gane all banded together to save him, but he still experienced some PTSD from the experience.

Capt. Sean Renard (Sasha Roiz)

Well I am Royal, and I can be a bastard.

Renard survived his shooting at the hands of a Verrat FBI agent thanks to the last-minute intervention of his Hexenbiest mother Elizabeth Lascelles (Louise Lombard). The technique she did saved his life, but because he had flatlined for a whole five seconds, that allowed the spirit of Jack the Ripper to possess him. Yes, really. It didn’t do much until near the end of the season, after which it killed a few Wesen prostitutes. Nick and company tricked the spirit into thinking Renard had died… again, and now Renard is himself again.

Sgt. Drew Wu (Reggie Lee)

• …and normally I’d make a joke about diapers, but frankly: not in the mood.

Sergeant Drew Wu is a colleague of Nick and Hank, and typically serves as the officer-on-scene who tells Nick and Hank what they’re about to find. Wu is first on the scenes of often gruesome crimes, and he uses snark and sarcasm to describe them. He was finally brought into the loop in Season 4 and has become another solid member of the team.

Rosalee Calvert (Bree Turner)

...we both hate this. And if you can’t build a relationship on hate…

Rosalee is a Fuchsbau who runs a tea and spice shop, and acts as a Wesen apothecary. She was married to Monroe at the end of Season 3.

Adelind Schade (Claire Coffee)

Figure [out how you can help me]. Because one day I’ll stop crying.

UGGGHHH.

Adalind is a Hexenbiest lawyer. Well, the lawyer part hasn’t come up since about the third episode of Season 1.

Claire Coffee is apparently the producer’s most favoritest person ever, and so the goddamn show continues to make basically every single main plot thread revolve around her. She’s a good actor, granted, but the problem is that Adalind is so loving stupid it hurts.

Also, she’s a serial rapist. She bewitched and raped Hank in Season 1 to try and get leverage on Nick. That cost her her Hexenbiest powers, thus creating the plot tumors that infested Season 2.

In Season 2, the curse which she put onto Renard and Juliette started to drive Renard mad with lust for Juliette, and she used Renard’s altered state of mind to satiate her desire for him (Rape number 2.) That ended up creating a baby, which was the cause of the Season 3 AND Season 4 plot tumors.

In Season 3, her baby was the ping-pong ball which served as the focal point of several groups interested in finding it. In order to get it back from the Royals who she thought had the baby (they didn’t), they ordered her to get rid of Nick, which she did by surprise, surprise, raping him while disguised as Juliette.

That robbed Nick of his Grimm powers for a whopping 8 episodes or so, but also created the “Juliette becomes a Hexenbiest somehow” plot tumor, which resulted in Juliette going insane and then getting killed.

And guess loving what? She’s now pregnant with NICK’s baby. Can’t wait to see how that finishes this show off in season 5.

I hear Nick’s single now, though, and I’m sure the producers will see no issues with Nick falling in love with the woman who hosed him over metaphorically multiple times, literally raped him and ended up causing the death of the woman he was in love with. Hooray.

Other Characters
Teresa “Trubel” Rubel (Jacqueline Toboni)

I like the queen [chess piece]. She saved my life once. … I jammed her into a Coyotal’s neck when he attacked. We were playing chess at the Mildord State Mental Hospital. They were not happy with me for that.

Teresa Rubel (who goes by the nickname “Trubel”) is a young Grimm who had no one around to tell her that she was a Grimm. Ever since she started seeing Wesen, she thought she was going crazy. When Nick and Monroe discovered her in Portland, she was grateful to learn that she was not insane.

Nick took her under her wing and started teaching her about the Wesen world. Trubel is rash and reckless, but has good instincts, and recognizes when she’s made mistakes.

End-of-season 4 status: She killed Juliette to save Nick’s life. Also apparently the Wesen FBI or something is about to burst down Nick’s door to find her.

Bud Wurstner (Danny Bruno)

I want to save those kids just as much as the rest of you. I’m just not exactly wishing that we might encounter the most hideous beast no one’s ever seen.

Bud is an Appliance repairman. He’s a friend to Nick and Monroe, and occasionally helps them out with Nick’s cases.

Martin Meisner (Damien Puckler)

My fight is here.”

Meisner is a member of the Resistance, fighting against the Royals to get revenge for his murdered girlfriend. He was the one who killed Eric Renard, and acted as Sean Renard’s bodyguard on Sean’s trip to Vienna. Afterwards, he was assigned to watch Adalind, and helped get her away from the Royals before giving birth.

In the final episode of Season 4, he returned and claimed Adalind’s baby for the resistance (the baby likes him so it’s cool I guess). He also killed King Frederick.

Juliette Silverton (Bitsie Tulloch)

• [Our life] has been screwed up by what you are. I don’t think I can take it anymore.

DEAD.

Okay, fine. As some kind of really stupid side-effect which happened from the ritual needed to restore Nick’s Grimm powers, Juliette transformed into a Hexenbiest because uh, - HEY LOOK OVER THERE! A BUTTERFLY!! But not just ANY Hexenbiest, but a super-ultra-powerful special snowflake Hexenbiest which is super awesome and could beat Adalind in a fight easily. She seemed to adapt okay at first despite the terrible shock.

But then when she revealed what happened to Nick, and he wasn’t willing to immediately kiss her corpse-face, she snapped and went all evil, going increasingly out of control. That culminated in conspiring with the royals to get Adalind’s first baby back from Nick’s mother. That resulted in Nick’s mother getting killed. Off-screen. She eventually came back to face Nick. Nick couldn’t bring himself to kill her, but Juliette attacked him anyway, and Trubel killed Juliette.

End-of-season 4 status: Dead. Gone. For good. Never coming back. Good riddance.

Kelly Burkhardt (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio)

I don’t trust anybody I’m not close enough to kill.

She fell into the trap set by Juliette and Kenneth, and was unceremoniously killed off-screen and her head was left in a box for Nick to find.

End-of-season 4 status: Dead.

King Frederick (Dan Kremer)

Also dead. Killed by Meisner.

Links
NBC.com - Grimm
Wikipedia – Grimm
Grimm Wikipedia – List of Wesen
Grimm Wiki
Season 4 thread

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

LivesInGrey posted:

The first time Nick and Adalind get romantic is the time I turn the show off and run.

Same here. I've long since learned to cut my losses and stop watching shows I no longer enjoy. This show is right on the edge for me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Why, why is everyone on the show treating this like Adalind was Nick's mistress and not his rapist?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
5x02 – “Clear and Wesen Danger”
With Nick adjusting to fatherhood,

UGH. Screw that!

Hank gets a new partner and investigates a brutal murder.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

hcreight posted:

They're very aggressively trying to redeem Adalind as a character. It's something you'll probably just have to deal with if you want to keep watching this show.

And they're also very carefully trying to tiptoe around the fact that the whole reason Juliette changed into a Hexenbiest leading to her death is Adalind's fault. But the way things are going now I'm sure everyone will completely forget about it in short order.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Brocktoon posted:

Just started the season premiere and I completely forgot this Jack the Ripper poo poo...

It's better that way, trust me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
5x03 – “Lost Boys”
When Rosalee is kidnapped by Peter and his lost boys, it's up to Nick, Hank and Monroe to save her.

So, guy who was wondering what happened to the fairy tale stuff? This one's for you.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
5x04 – “Maiden Quest”
Nick and Hank are on the case when a father's quest to find his daughter a husband leads to multiple deaths.

Last week's case of the week was pretty good. But Nick and Adalind had a MOMENT. "You were my first Woge". Uggghhhh...

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
5x05 – “The Rat King”
Nick tends to a badly wounded Trubel, but Meisner warns that she's still far from safe.

No episode last week, here's tonight's synopsis.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
5x06 – “Wesen Nacht”
Trubel comes clean about here whereabouts. Plus, Nick and Hank investigate Wesen gang violence.

hangedman1984 posted:

I know it won't happen, but I desperately hope Meisner is gonna be a new love interest for Adalind so there won't be anymore of this whole "Nick falling for his rapist who systematically destroyed every aspect of his life".

Please show, do this. I will say that having Trubel convalescing in Nick's secret hideout does help break up the hideous atmosphere of domestic life which was starting to happen.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ha ha ha now that's pretty good. I guess this might explain why Bitsie Tulloch :airquote: left the show on such good terms. They were pulling a Starbuck on us.

Okay, I think I think I like where this season is going now, which I admit, was not something I had expected I'd be saying.

Interesting thing from this article linked on page 1:

quote:

“I will tell you this,” Giuntoli says. “David Giuntoli has not seen Juliette in a very long time. If the writers have something up their sleeve, I don’t know about it. We are 11 episodes in and Juliette has not reappeared. Listen, they like to keep balls in the air. That could be one way to keep the fans guessing.”

Note that the response was very carefully worded. "David Giuntoli has not seen Juliette in a very long time. If the writers have something up their sleeve, I don’t know about it. We are 11 episodes in and Juliette has not reappeared." I noticed that it was carefully worded at the time, but I didn't think much of it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 12, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
"Hadrian's Wall" was built by the Romans to "keep out the barbarian invaders", which makes it an appropriate name for the group fighting the Wesen uprising.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/59...&utm_medium=tvi

quote:

Strange as it seems, will a romance of some sort blossom between Adalind and Nick?
That’s definitely where they’re headed! The romantic relationship between the two of them is going to become kind of like fits and starts.

Argh no no no no no

☆❤♡

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 14, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, I saw that too. I think that there is some wiggle room in there to go back. The idea that Eve has all of Juliette's memories, but none of the emotional connections is strange. I find it hard to believe that Nick wouldn't at least try to draw the old Juliette out of Eve. It does seem to make it more unlikely that he would try to have a relationship with Adalind with Juliette up and around.

On the other hand, it could be said that the old Juliette died well before being hit with those arrows.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
5x07 – “Eve of Destruction”
Nick seeks answers about Juliette's shocking return. Plus Rosalee and Monroe alert the Wesen Council about the rising violence in Portland.

New episode tonight.

There Bias Two posted:

"What’s funny is that I’m seeing on social media that the audience is increasingly OK with Nick and Adalind being together, but I think the baby has a lot to do with it. They’re like, “If they share a child they should be together—for the baby’s sake. Do what’s best for the baby!” And that proves what I’ve always known: We have very sweet fans."

Jesus christ these people are just as insane as the characters they portray.

Part of it is probably that some people didn't see it as a rape because Nick believed he was having consensual sex with his girlfriend, and the show has not been big on pointing out that it was indeed rape.

But for me, even if you were somehow able to ignore the RAPE, the fallout of which pretty much led directly to Juliette's death, Adalind has become such a tumor on the show, with plotlines revolving around her actions swallowing up literally entire seasons. That alone is too much to stand.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Everything about Adalind has been handled in an incredibly stupid, tone-deaf way.

Apparently all the bad feelings caused by trying to kill you, ruining your life, raping you, and killing your girlfriend of 6+ years can be magically loving cured by having your RAPE-baby.

They kissed, I'm out. Not even gonna finish watching the episode.

• Locked thread