Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In honor of Bob's birthday, all 403 episodes are being officially streamed at http://www.twitch.tv/bobross

The marathon is expected to last 200 hours, and as of 2:14am ET on October 30, we are a little over 9 hours in.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some happy little trees!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
This is overtaking Twitch at the moment, which is sure to piss off the moba crowd.

I approve.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bob did a Q&A episode at the end of season 1. He painted a whole thing, then his son read another question, "How do you do reflections?"

And then Bob made a pond appear out of loving nowhere. :aaa:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

It's fun watching and getting scared when he puts a big nasty blob on a painting that was already good and then somehow always turns it around back to good again

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I used to watch this all the time as a kid. I would just sit quietly and watch him paint.

This is so much more zen that I even remembered. It's impossible to be mad listening to that voice and watching him paint.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

This is our crazy day!

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Am I remembering wrong, or did Howard Stern do a bit, or talked about another comic doing a bit, where Ross has a Vietnam flashback in the middle of doing a painting, and starts painting "gooks" in the brush? That was funny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Take a shot every time Bob beats the devil out of his brushes. Have a spare liver on standby.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

What a fascinating time, when men's shirts didn't need half of the buttons they had.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I was watching this and looked up and saw a half hour had passed, and I realized I had no sense of time left. Was it dragging, did it pass in a blur, I couldn't say. I had lost all concept of time passing, snuggled in the man's voice and enthusiasm.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Bob Ross painting makes me smile and feel content.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

I was watching this and looked up and saw a half hour had passed, and I realized I had no sense of time left. Was it dragging, did it pass in a blur, I couldn't say. I had lost all concept of time passing, snuggled in the man's voice and enthusiasm.

8 hours of Bob Ross is an acceptable substitute for sleep.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bob Ross is more soothing than Mr. Rogers

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Creating hills :tviv:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Bob Ross painting makes me smile and feel content.

I never understood that whole ASMR thing. But if it makes people feel like I feel when I watch Bob Ross? You kids have fun. :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think the emergent meme from this is people going "RUINED!" when he first drops down a new line of paint and then in the 10 seconds it takes for him to instantly make it look like something responding with "SAVED!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I refuse to believe they got any letters about painting saws.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

pentyne posted:

I think the emergent meme from this is people going "RUINED!" when he first drops down a new line of paint and then in the 10 seconds it takes for him to instantly make it look like something responding with "SAVED!"

My one objection to this stream is the spazoid behavior of your average twitch chat room runs completely counter to what makes watching The Joy of Painting so wonderful. But, you can just make it fullscreen. :)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to catch a rabbit, stand behind a tree and make a noise like a carrot

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bob is having some guest star dude on atm, and he's so clearly Diet-Bob and the entire stream is going apeshit posting FREEBOB

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
There was a story where Bob was giving a demonstration in a mall. A man approached him and said he couldn't paint because all he could see were grey tones.

What does Bob do?

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-ousb8-SD0

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Everyone spams RUINED when he plops some paint done (and then turns it into something cool), and just now Bob goes, "you are probably saying, 'oh no he's ruined it now'.."

Chat freaks out.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
ive been watching these on youtube for a few weeks now, sometimes i use them to go to sleep

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I used to think the "happy little trees" joke was, well...a joke. So far, I've seen Bob paint happy little trees, happy little bushes, and a happy little stream. And the trees are friends and hang out together.

I can't believe I've never seen this before.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's a guest star who doesn't have Bob's golden tones, but an art teacher's authority.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the best things about Bob Ross is how his background sounds like one of those email forward urban legends but it is true. Like how he used to be an Air Force Master Sergeant but after he got out he decided he never wanted to yell at anyone ever again.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Josh Lyman posted:

Bob did a Q&A episode at the end of season 1. He painted a whole thing, then his son read another question, "How do you do reflections?"

And then Bob made a pond appear out of loving nowhere. :aaa:

Please say that there's a youtube clip of this.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

TV Zombie posted:

Please say that there's a youtube clip of this.

@20m40s, if BBcode fails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQWfszfRlA&t=1240s

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

One of the best things about Bob Ross is how his background sounds like one of those email forward urban legends but it is true. Like how he used to be an Air Force Master Sergeant but after he got out he decided he never wanted to yell at anyone ever again.

Reminds me of James Blunt, singer of "You're Beautiful" and... peacekeeper in Kosovo.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
"Little criss-cross strokes, just the way the teacher used to grade my papers, little X's all over the place." :lol:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mr.Radar posted:

"Little criss-cross strokes, just the way the teacher used to grade my papers, little X's all over the place." :lol:

That's the gold of watching these, there is his dulcet tones and the happy mountains, and then he'll do one where he makes a campfire and he just goes "Just have fun with it....I used to have fun with fire when I was younger" and you have to stop and go "Wait, what did he just say?".

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Boogaleeboo posted:

That's the gold of watching these, there is his dulcet tones and the happy mountains, and then he'll do one where he makes a campfire and he just goes "Just have fun with it....I used to have fun with fire when I was younger" and you have to stop and go "Wait, what did he just say?".

Here's one of my favorites of those moments:

@20m45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9PkBu3llZ0&t=1243s

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad that most streams and streamers are taking a backseat to bob. Undead and still painting happy pictures. What a good Halloween.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Loaded this up only expecting to watch one or two episodes and now it's been about 6 hours.

It's good background show as I clean my room.

I also hold that Bob Ross is some type of wizard with how he makes these paintings.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I've been tuning in every now and again and end up sinking an hour or two watching, love Bob Ross. This afternoon he did a forest scene (!!!) with a river and a cabin and goes "Here's a cabin some hunter built and he probably had one too many and fell into that river gone" Love his comments, I can't believe he has been gone for 20 years!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's kind of frustrating at times how easy he makes things look. Giving false hope to would-be painters everywhere. He can make a full beautiful little nature scene out of literally nothing in 25 minutes with no effort. Abracadabra! Two seconds and this blob of black is now a mountain that looks better than anything you'll ever think about drawing for the rest of your life!

This thread is going to be stuck up top for a few days because what the hell. People need to watch at least a few minutes/hours/days of this.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 31, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

X-O posted:

It's kind of frustrating at times how easy he makes things look. Giving false hope to would-be painters everywhere. He can make a full beautiful little nature scene out of literally nothing in 25 minutes with no effort. Abracadabra! Two seconds and this blob of black is now a mountain that looks better than anything you'll ever think about drawing for the rest of your life!

This thread is going to be stuck up top for a few days because what the hell. People need to watch at least a few minutes/hours/days of this.

He'd paint the same thing 3x for each episode. Once for practice, once during filming, and then again for a photographer to get in-progress shots of it.

99% of his skill by the point where he was doing the PBS show was probably muscle memory.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
At first I was saddened at the apparent unfamiliarity the people in chat had with Bob Ross...then I remembered I am Old and this is a beautiful thing for people to both discover and rediscover. I can't even shake my fist and yell YOUTHS! over this, it's just so soothing and happy and the chat has this sweet chillness to it even when they're making terrible masturbation jokes and shouting :420: constantly. GG indeed, Bob, GG. I'm gonna be at a loss when the marathon ends.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Two seconds and this blob of black is now a mountain that looks better than anything you'll ever think about drawing for the rest of your life!

He gets me all the time. He just ruined it with that blob and 30 seconds later I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

atomicgeek posted:

At first I was saddened at the apparent unfamiliarity the people in chat had with Bob Ross...then I remembered I am Old and this is a beautiful thing for people to both discover and rediscover. I can't even shake my fist and yell YOUTHS! over this, it's just so soothing and happy and the chat has this sweet chillness to it even when they're making terrible masturbation jokes and shouting :420: constantly. GG indeed, Bob, GG. I'm gonna be at a loss when the marathon ends.

Why would you even read the chat.

Also all the episodes are on Youtube and have been for a while. No need to be at a loss.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcXYrPbFM8lVi98lBztqYRw/playlists

• Locked thread