Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I'm Crap posted:

3: you're an empire-building jobsworth who needs to feel important and hopes that everyone forgets how useless and greedy you are (i.e. a university administrator)
Yeah, pretty much that. Also don't forget, they didn't all of the sudden get together one night and decide 'we need to cover up all the rapes'. Not to mention rape is not a new thing, they were probably hushing these things up since back before television, even. It's easier to do heinous things if everyone before you has been doing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Drink Cheerwine posted:

cant speak to the UK, but in the US, much of this college rape adjudication farce stems from their title ix legal liability thanks to some really ill-advised "dear colleague" letters from the dept of education in the past 5 years.

it is exclusively a left-wing phenomenon, from the bureaucrats' mandates to the administrators' implementation to the students and faculty sitting in judgment.

ask any conservative or libertarian "who should be handling these cases?" and the answer will always be "the police"

The "Dear Colleague" letters are some of the most terrible poo poo around. They occupy a weird grey area where they can't be challenged because they're an interpretation of official policy rather than official policy themselves, but when the DoE is acting against colleges they still use the "Dear Colleague" letters as guidelines for how policy is actually enforced. It's a legal loophole that's rendered the DoE unaccountable in a lot of ways. I'm against right wing attempts to defund it, but the "Dear Colleague" poo poo needs to stop.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Adventure Pigeon posted:

The "Dear Colleague" letters are some of the most terrible poo poo around. They occupy a weird grey area where they can't be challenged because they're an interpretation of official policy rather than official policy themselves, but when the DoE is acting against colleges they still use the "Dear Colleague" letters as guidelines for how policy is actually enforced. It's a legal loophole that's rendered the DoE unaccountable in a lot of ways. I'm against right wing attempts to defund it, but the "Dear Colleague" poo poo needs to stop.

the feds do this kind of shady poo poo whenever they can get away with it, which is almost all the time. leviathan hungers- please fill out a form ctch-22.162 and feed it.

Azareil
Feb 24, 2004

It's the destiny of mortals.... Very well. Remember the greatness of my power!
It's clear that the only way for people to protect themselves is to be recording everything at all time by carrying secret cameras.

"Actually officers, all I said was 'I like your bright neon green hair' and she replied with, 'Oh thanks.' As seen in this video."

The Orwellian nightmare becomes SJW shut down tools. There would be zero consequences whatsoever of recording everything. None at all.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Maoist Pussy posted:

This group is anti-police, anti-prison, anti-heteronormative, anti-homonationalist, anti-colonial, anti-state, anti-corporate
There's something cute about a self-described radical anti-establishment group vomiting ultra niche academic jargon. I can't wait for them to take their message to the street.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Azareil posted:

It's clear that the only way for people to protect themselves is to be recording everything at all time by carrying secret cameras.

"Actually officers, all I said was 'I like your bright neon green hair' and she replied with, 'Oh thanks.' As seen in this video."

The Orwellian nightmare becomes SJW shut down tools. There would be zero consequences whatsoever of recording everything. None at all.

so everyone gets their own mattress girl sex tape. sounds fun!

"if it may please the court, the frequent cries of "BANANA" you'll hear is our consent word and yes those are real dragon dildos"

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Drink Cheerwine posted:

the feds do this kind of shady poo poo whenever they can get away with it, which is almost all the time. leviathan hungers- please fill out a form ctch-22.162 and feed it.

Pretty much. The "Dear Colleague" letter has pretty much lead to the current situation where sexual assaults, arguably the second most serious type of crime, have somehow become a matter that universities are responsible for handling. So now they're afraid because if they do too much, they'll get sued and bad PR, if they do too little, they'll get sued and bad PR, and the people actually handling the cases tend to be unqualified, have personal biases and conflicts of interest, and are able to make up their own rules as they go along. It's a completely stupid situation yet the catch 22 nature of "Dear Colleague" letters make it all but impossible to change without taking on the DoE.

Secret video cameras are all well and good, but may not be admissible depending on whatever pack of university administrators/faculty happen to be running the committee that day.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Pretty much. The "Dear Colleague" letter has pretty much lead to the current situation where sexual assaults, arguably the second most serious type of crime, have somehow become a matter that universities are responsible for handling. So now they're afraid because if they do too much, they'll get sued and bad PR, if they do too little, they'll get sued and bad PR, and the people actually handling the cases tend to be unqualified, have personal biases and conflicts of interest, and are able to make up their own rules as they go along. It's a completely stupid situation yet the catch 22 nature of "Dear Colleague" letters make it all but impossible to change without taking on the DoE.

Secret video cameras are all well and good, but may not be admissible depending on whatever pack of university administrators/faculty happen to be running the committee that day.

the big problem is that if you don't let universities handle it then it's left up to the police to investigate, and they are extremely misogynist because they might ask the victim questions and try to find evidence which is v. problematic and triggering.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
most SJWs are younger or older than college age and tend to talk about issues of rape and consent in a more generally applicable sense, not college policies

Yudo
May 15, 2003

A lot of schools are getting the poo poo sued out of them and are paying out big bucks to those dragged in front of their troikas. Public universities in a number of states are hurting for cash at best or collapsing at worst; they need to fight for funding and not get mired between a rock and a hard place.

Basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzuC8B46N_w

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Where can I read more about Dear Colleague letters? I've never heard the term before and Google turns up stuff about the US Congress.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

The Giggler posted:

I thought it was derived from the Jamaican Patois "batty boy", which is a derogatory term for a gay man.

It's not

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Even though it's an edit, it will never not be funny. I'm pretty sure KC Green is an sjw too and got all kinds of hatemail for it because these people are looking to be triggered.

Basically. They're asking for it.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chamale posted:

Where can I read more about Dear Colleague letters? I've never heard the term before and Google turns up stuff about the US Congress.

some contemporary reactions:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/08/30/on_sexual_harassment_and_title_ix_111065.html

http://collegeinsurrection.com/2012/09/education-dept-unlawfully-changes-burden-of-proof-in-college-sexual-harassment-cases/

https://www.thefire.org/why-the-office-for-civil-rights-april-dear-colleague-letter-was-2011s-biggest-fire-fight/

an article on compliance:

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=5b5bed65-ba96-46eb-8647-446621475024

they send the letters semi-regularly, but 2011 was the big change. there have been a number of lawsuits since the 2011 change, and most of the plaintiffs have won beaucoup ducats in real courts after being subjected to the kangaroo courts of public universities

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
t-t-t-t-triggered

i support trial by mob. i await "welcome ropes" to dangle from our "friendship trees"/light posts

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 3, 2015

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

burn the woman at the stake, if she was really raped she will emerge from the flames unscathed

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

City of Tampa posted:

the big problem is that if you don't let universities handle it then it's left up to the police to investigate, and they are extremely misogynist because they might ask the victim questions and try to find evidence which is v. problematic and triggering.

This is literally the argument they use. Even if a rape accusation is false and an innocent persons life is ruined, that's okay because actually questioning an accuser is potentially triggering and might stop other rape victims from coming forward or something. The preponderance of evidence standard is bullshit.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
first question: what clothes were you wearing?
second question: did he wear a condom?
third question: who is your dad?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
rookie officer gets put on 6 month leave for not asking question 3 first

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Being accused of rape triggers me please do not mention the rapes that I might have committed

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsDUyJwu6c

there is no healing in silence
I am ready to speak

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Being accused of rape triggers me please do not mention the rapes that I might have committed

nice username/post combo here

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

nomadologique posted:

first question: what clothes were you wearing?
second question: did he wear a condom?
third question: who is your dad?

Question 4: are you a star athlete?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Drink Cheerwine posted:

some contemporary reactions:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/08/30/on_sexual_harassment_and_title_ix_111065.html

http://collegeinsurrection.com/2012/09/education-dept-unlawfully-changes-burden-of-proof-in-college-sexual-harassment-cases/

https://www.thefire.org/why-the-office-for-civil-rights-april-dear-colleague-letter-was-2011s-biggest-fire-fight/

an article on compliance:

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=5b5bed65-ba96-46eb-8647-446621475024

they send the letters semi-regularly, but 2011 was the big change. there have been a number of lawsuits since the 2011 change, and most of the plaintiffs have won beaucoup ducats in real courts after being subjected to the kangaroo courts of public universities

Never heard of them either. Real interesting thanks.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
gas please

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Hell Yeah posted:

welcome to the future, where sex is impossible

Once again, the Japanese were ahead of the curve!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Twelve Batmans posted:

Even though it's an edit, it will never not be funny. I'm pretty sure KC Green is an sjw too and got all kinds of hatemail for it because these people are looking to be triggered.

is KC finally making money from dickbutt yet

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Twelve Batmans posted:

He got called-out on twitter by tumblr people who demanded that he explain himself to assure everyone he didn't make what was clearly an edit

he took a lot of older stuff down that was tumblr-unfriendly while the spotlight was on him because you had a lot of people going "well even if it is an edit, kc still has a problematic history so how could we have known"

people seem to be extremely unaware that kc has a history of anxiety and depression to where calling him out on sjw twitter was probably the most traumatic moment of his recent life and worse than anything a tumblr person has felt because they read an illegal gunshow photoshop

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

people seem to be extremely unaware that kc has a history of anxiety and depression to where calling him out on sjw twitter was probably the most traumatic moment of his recent life

hahaha

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yea that's p lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
tumblrape

trape

tumblrpe