Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Bring back LF

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nasgate posted:

So I went into the deep roads in DA 2.

Question about your sister. I assume she dies if you leave her home too?

If you leave her behind she'll join th Mages, if you take her she'll die unless you also take Anders and then she'll become a Grey Warden

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hypha posted:

Bring back LF

Every Ubisoft game has the exact same snarky descriptions and they're all terrible.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

If you leave her behind she'll join th Mages, if you take her she'll die unless you also take Anders and then she'll become a Grey Warden

Okay, now I'm getting the criticisms of DA2. None of that makes sense from what they give you. Ran into similar bizarre crap in the fade. I imagine anders is useful there too. It really seems like they want you to use him even though he's a whiny fucker.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Okay, now I'm getting the criticisms of DA2. None of that makes sense from what they give you. Ran into similar bizarre crap in the fade. I imagine anders is useful there too. It really seems like they want you to use him even though he's a whiny fucker.

Seriously, you haven't even seen the half of it yet

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Eonwe posted:

The first hour of every fallout is p bad

so is every subsequent hour

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually didn't really mind that bit in DA2, it's OK for consequences to just play out over the game and not be 100% telegraphed.

Still a bad game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Someone find the "Mages aren't like you or me" screenshot with the player character wearing mage robes and a staff

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alain Post posted:

Someone find the "Mages aren't like you or me" screenshot with the player character wearing mage robes and a staff

Also that youtube of every Mage in DA being like "magic isn't that bad lol we're just misunderstood" followed by scenes of blood spewing out of their mouths as they summon demons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blood mages are terrible! *party member freely uses blood magic in from of people with zero consequences*

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sleeveless posted:

Every Ubisoft game has the exact same snarky descriptions and they're all terrible.

In the AC2 series and 3 the descriptions were written by a snotty British douche so that was their excuse to pretend they're clever. Not sure about the newer games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sleeveless posted:

the truth hurts

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Mak0rz posted:

In the AC2 series and 3 the descriptions were written by a snotty British douche so that was their excuse to pretend they're clever. Not sure about the newer games.

it's the same for every one of the games since then too

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
it's so loving forced too. There was clearly an explicit instruction to the writers to include a joke every paragraph because otherwise nobody want want to read the text, right?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

Also that youtube of every Mage in DA being like "magic isn't that bad lol we're just misunderstood" followed by scenes of blood spewing out of their mouths as they summon demons.

The only thing I took from magic DA is everyone will gently caress up if they use it and you should kill every mage possible

Like gently caress Anders or whoever he was

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is Dead Island any good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Is Dead Island any good

Not really

If you can get it for cheap its not awful though

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Dead Island is only fun in co-op because you can throw propane tanks at your friends when they are helpless and kill them instantly, amongst other dickish things. You can also drive trucks to places trucks should not be able to go, like up sheer cliffs.

By the time we got to the end boss I had found a gun with a small chance to electrocute things. The very first shot I took electrocuted him and he flopped around having a seizure and died. It was good for a laugh (which pretty much sums up the game.)

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 2, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nasgate posted:

hahahahahaha

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the final battles end up the same no matter who you side with because they ran out of time and didn't bother to make any bosses for the other faction

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I played through Snake Eater, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes in October. I bought The Phantom Pain today. If this game improves on anything that PW did, I'm going to love the piss out of my November.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Is Dead Island any good

Get dying light instead.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From what I understand Dead Island isn't "good" per se, but it's jankiness gives it a certain charm. In the sequel they apparently fixed the jank and made the game worthless.

In general Dead Island is weird to me because it's a series that gained attention with a trailer that contained no game footage and never really did anything good after that, yet it persists. It's also the game that proved that you don't actually need to have anyone call you "game if the year" to release a game of the year edition.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Too many good games. Fallout 4, Trails in the Sky, the first COD in a long time that is getting its hooks in me, still finishing up Legend of Legacy which as hubris pointed out is sort of disappointing, and Rebel Galaxy looks fun as gently caress and I want to play it but I'm afraid it'll steal my life

I'm missing corn's Desperate Housewives playthrough already though, that poo poo was great.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

axleblaze posted:

From what I understand Dead Island isn't "good" per se, but it's jankiness gives it a certain charm. In the sequel they apparently fixed the jank and made the game worthless.

In general Dead Island is weird to me because it's a series that gained attention with a trailer that contained no game footage and never really did anything good after that, yet it persists. It's also the game that proved that you don't actually need to have anyone call you "game if the year" to release a game of the year edition.

It's not as though there's any governing body for "game of the year" awards. They probably decided it was Game of the Year to them and them alone, and found that reasonable justification.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I liked Tales of the Abyss but put it down when I moved like 7 years ago and never touched it again. Is it worth finding and plugging in my PS2 again for, or should I just get the 3DS version and play that one instead?

Also, weren't there some other mobile ones? Tales of Hearts or Graces or something like that? I don't know if they ever made it out of Japan.

Also also, was there ever a localization and/or translation of Destiny 2? I remember being disappointed when they released Eternia in the US and called that Destiny 2 when there was an actual Destiny 2 that never got released, but Eternia turned out to be good enough to soften the blow.

TotA depends, are you going to get people to join you? If so, go PS2. If not(or you just want the story) you can nab a 3DS copy for cheap, I'm sure.

"Allies"

zfleeman posted:

I played through Snake Eater, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes in October. I bought The Phantom Pain today. If this game improves on anything that PW did, I'm going to love the piss out of my November.

It does a bit like PW, but you also get to dick around between mission tasks and cause general mayhem at your leisure, grind your staff/base to impressive levels, and such.

If you like the system that GZ has, you're in for a treat.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

zfleeman posted:

It improves on everything PW did. Enjoy.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I can't really describe it, but I loved the on-the-go feel of PW. It was very arcade-y. GZ wasn't like that as much, but it was still similar enough to PW for me to love. I've really enjoyed seeing how this series has evolved. The only canon games I haven't played are portable ops and 4. Zero interest in those two. :X

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr E posted:

Get dying light instead.

I could buy Dead Island 6 times for that price.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

zfleeman posted:

I can't really describe it, but I loved the on-the-go feel of PW. It was very arcade-y. GZ wasn't like that as much, but it was still similar enough to PW for me to love. I've really enjoyed seeing how this series has evolved. The only canon games I haven't played are portable ops and 4. Zero interest in those two. :X

That's the best part of TPP, it's extremely pickup able and drop able.

Also, if you have access to a ps3, play mgs 4. It's not the best, but it has lots of interesting bits and it's extremely fun because it's very much a precursor to the 3 newest Big Boss games.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I could buy Dead Island 6 times for that price.

Or you could buy DI 0 times and wait for a sale on Dying Light.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Yeah, just wait for a Dying Light sale. That game is everything DI wanted to be and more.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mr E posted:

Get dying light instead.

Would it be possible to get neither?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Genre: zombies

Add 500k sales.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Picked up Alan Wake from the Steam sale and was surprised to see how good it is. I heard it wasn't all that good but at least 3 episodes in it's really solid, like a Silent Hill with enjoyable combat. Is the American Nightmare worth the effort?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ataxerxes posted:

Picked up Alan Wake from the Steam sale and was surprised to see how good it is. I heard it wasn't all that good but at least 3 episodes in it's really solid, like a Silent Hill with enjoyable combat.

People are real picky about horror games, I guess because fear is subjective.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alan Wake ended up being an action game with horror aspects rather than the other way around, also it spent years in development hell and ended up being hugely scaled back from the original concept, it was unfortunately the sort of game that couldn't help disappointing a lot of people. I enjoyed it personally but I still wanted the open world 'investigate by day, hide and try and survive by night' thing they originally intended.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Alan Wake ended up being an action game with horror aspects rather than the other way around, also it spent years in development hell and ended up being hugely scaled back from the original concept, it was unfortunately the sort of game that couldn't help disappointing a lot of people. I enjoyed it personally but I still wanted the open world 'investigate by day, hide and try and survive by night' thing they originally intended.

You can play Alan Wake and Deadly Premonitions back to back and then smash your head against the wall until they blur together into the best game ever. But, yeah, Alan Wake is still great as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

I liked Tales of the Abyss but put it down when I moved like 7 years ago and never touched it again. Is it worth finding and plugging in my PS2 again for, or should I just get the 3DS version and play that one instead?

If you were already enjoying it then it's worth finishing. I only played the 3DS version which was quite good. Dunno how to advise you which one you should do. When the 3DS version came out a lot of people were turned off in the earlier stages of the game because the main character is extremely obnoxious and the worldbuilding and exposition is extremely heavy handed and made up term dense. I still ended up liking it a lot once I got into it. Though out of the 3 good Tales games I've played (Abyss, Symphonia, and currently playing Zestiria) it's definitely my least favorite.

I say good Tales games because I also played Symphonia 2 which has the special distinction of being the worst game I have ever played to completion for some stupid reason.

• Locked thread