Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Laserdisc is rad for a few things:

Digital audio (especially compared to vhs)

Fast forward and rewinding ( no chapter select bs)

High quality print compared to vhs and beta at the time

Special features that in some cases never were reproduced.

The downside is Jurassic park for instance is 3 discs doublesided and good luck if you didn't have a double sided reader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
my high school had laserdisc players in every classroom for some reason and they were pretty much never used (this was like 2001-2005 so dvd was definitely around by then)

i do know a lot of people who are snobs about laserdisc because it's the only way to watch the original versions of star wars (barring like a single out of print dvd release that came out in 2006)

also each disc only holds like 30 minutes of video (later ones could hold 60), so to watch a movie you had to flip and change the discs a poo poo ton of time.

but yeah in terms of quality it was better than vhs and according to some picture snobs i know, theoretically better than dvd if the dvd had poo poo for encoding (which a lot of the earliest dvds had)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe the only laserdiscs I've seen were bad prints then. But the point still stands. Please watch Psycho on Blu Ray or a film screening.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
And the laserdisc covers are some of the best too

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Watching Star Wars on my rich friend's laser disc player in 94 was neat.

In Training posted:

Maybe the only laserdiscs I've seen were bad prints then. But the point still stands. Please watch Psycho on Blu Ray or a film screening.

Or uh maybe just on Netflix too because this is 2015 people come on

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Dragons Dogma will definitely have modding. Probably mostly for Anime girl pawns.

Speaking of video and star wars, just discovered my mother got the original trilogy for the third time. Looking at how the collections changed is saddening. The VHS set was large and impressive, the dvd set held onto that by adding a making of disk. And now the Blu-ray is just one regular case :(

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Has anyone else played Iji? I replayed it over the weekend and I think it's possibly the best free game out there

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Looper posted:

Shovel Knight owns, and honestly I like playing Plague Knight more than Shovel Knight :shobon:

I like Plague Knight a lot but he's way harder for me to use than Shovel Knight in most situations. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the gameplay though. Plague Knight just takes a bit more of strategy and equipping different bomb ingredients on the fly to adapt to different situations, and Shovel Knight is mostly self-sufficient from the get-go. That's just my take on the gameplay, I'm sure there are people out there who could rush through the game using the basic bomb with which the game starts.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

bloodychill posted:

Watching Star Wars on my rich friend's laser disc player in 94 was neat.

Or uh maybe just on Netflix too because this is 2015 people come on

it's going to be great in a few years when the home theater people start rallying around blu-ray as the peak of image quality because "my bitrates" as everybody else moves to streaming and away from physical media.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

it's going to be great in a few years when the home theater people start rallying around blu-ray as the peak of image quality because "my bitrates" as everybody else moves to streaming and away from physical media.

I just like physical movies for some reason :shobon:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Swan Curry posted:

Has anyone else played Iji? I replayed it over the weekend and I think it's possibly the best free game out there

There's a guy who has an Iji-inspired avatar (or something that looks closely like that) and every time I say "oh yeah, I must get around to play it" but then I forget :negative:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Swan Curry posted:

Iji's rad as heck. I think Cave Story controls better but Iji has a lot going for it

The Grimace posted:

equipping different bomb ingredients on the fly to adapt to different situations, and Shovel Knight is mostly self-sufficient from the get-go.

This is admittedly something I don't really like. Plague Knight's sheer number of options is kinda overwhelming at times and I wish there were a non-pausing way to switch up his bombs

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Looper posted:

This is admittedly something I don't really like. Plague Knight's sheer number of options is kinda overwhelming at times and I wish there were a non-pausing way to switch up his bombs

This is why I'm glad I played it on 3DS. There you can just tap the bottom screen to change bombs, makes it flow way better.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Speaking of, anyone else super pumped about the Dragons Dogma port?

Depends on whether or not the Berserk armor sets will still be in the game so I can run around as Guts and dismember everything in sight all over again. :getin:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think this has got to be a first, so many games still coming in December

Xenoblade , Rainbow 6 , Just Cause 3 , Devils Third , and maybe Yakuza 5

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
father: i am your son

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Youtube's trying to show me videos about debunking feminism again.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

2nd coming of feminism debunking. :gonk:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All I watched was some retsupurae videos and a few let's plays since last time I had to clear my watch history to get Sargon of Akaad off of my recommendations. I don't understand why this keeps happening.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What if the whole story is different? :pwn:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You watched videogame videos, that's why.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Seriously, that's probably it. I get the same poo poo sometimes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gamergate truly did ruin videogames...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

Gamergate truly did ruin videogames...

Not true, both sides left RPGs alone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

Not true, both sides left RPGs alone.

There aren't two sides, the taint reaper.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

There aren't two sides, the taint reaper.

THERE'S THE BITCHING SCREAMING HARPIES AND THEIR FLYING HIPSTER BETA MONKEYS

and then there's the noble, honorable and perfect internet trolls

I count two sides

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hmmmm my taint sense is tingling.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Cardboard Box A posted:

Rainbow: Siege

:barf: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3um0h1/rainbow_six_siege_abandones_the_lore_and_franchise/

I have had Ubisoft on my "never give them money" list ever since Lockdown in 2006. It was so bad that nobody even remembers it anymore. It's almost as if it never existed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Love Stole the Day posted:

:barf: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3um0h1/rainbow_six_siege_abandones_the_lore_and_franchise/

I have had Ubisoft on my "never give them money" list ever since Lockdown in 2006. It was so bad that nobody even remembers it anymore. It's almost as if it never existed.
Now let me tell you about the gameplay, which so far has been worse, on technical level, than multiplayer games from late 90s.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If you present Anita Sarkeesian with a copies of Atelier Ayesha, Escha and Logy, and Shallie as well as Tales of Vesperia, Abyss, Xillia, Xillia 2, Graces f, and Zestiria as well as both Trails in the Sky games. her face will explode dystopian AI computer society style style because she got everything she requested games to be and hence her primary function will be no longer needed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Throw in HuniePop for good measure, maybe Eternal Summer too.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Has anyone picked up a Steam Link yet? I have pretty good internet, but I don't think I could run an ethernet cable from the living room to the modem, and I don't want to plop down 50bux on something that sucks on wifi, let alone the first generation of that something.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Estelle in Trails in the Sky wanting to bone her adopted brother is the one noticeable blemish in an otherwise nicely written game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

quote:

Every well-known character, or previous known character got dropped. Say bye to Ding Chavez und John Clark. Now we have a handful of operatives that are new (and follow every clichee for their country/gender. All germans are tech-savy engineers, seriously?)

Oh no the well known characters with zero personality got replaced with new characters with no personality :emo:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Goodbye, November. Fare thee well.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

One time, for like a week or two, the internet was down and I resorted to my PS2. Only, I couldn't find what I'd done with all the discs except one.

Being a dead-broke teenager, it was Lockout or network television. I ended up cranking the difficulty to max and running terrorist hunts over and over.

I remember.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Oh boy looks like NX in 2016 is a reality

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20151130PD203.html

there's no way in gently caress they're moving system if there's no Zelda. And if the rumors are true they're sacrificing performance in order to make a satellite handheld that's included with the system function. Then it's probably going to be a pain in the rear end to code for since it won't be using off the shelf parts and be all proprietary hardware again.

The window where they want to launch it will be around the same timeframe that either Final Fantasy 15 or 7 remake launches, and/or kingdom hearts 3.

They're going to be going up against the ps4 which is well on it's way to a 40 million install base.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 1, 2015

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

Estelle in Trails in the Sky wanting to bone her adopted brother is the one noticeable blemish in an otherwise nicely written game.

Well let's understand precedent here, the last time that happened we got Drakengard, and you saw how THAT went.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Black August posted:

Well let's understand precedent here, the last time that happened we got Drakengard, and you saw how THAT went.

This is also the entire premises of The Brady Bunch and Game of Thrones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Black August posted:

Drakengard is its own beautiful abominable beast though.

• Locked thread