Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

I liked Tales of the Abyss but put it down when I moved like 7 years ago and never touched it again. Is it worth finding and plugging in my PS2 again for, or should I just get the 3DS version and play that one instead?

If you were already enjoying it then it's worth finishing. I only played the 3DS version which was quite good. Dunno how to advise you which one you should do. When the 3DS version came out a lot of people were turned off in the earlier stages of the game because the main character is extremely obnoxious and the worldbuilding and exposition is extremely heavy handed and made up term dense. I still ended up liking it a lot once I got into it. Though out of the 3 good Tales games I've played (Abyss, Symphonia, and currently playing Zestiria) it's definitely my least favorite.

I say good Tales games because I also played Symphonia 2 which has the special distinction of being the worst game I have ever played to completion for some stupid reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It didn't bother me. I'm going to play Vesperia someday.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really hated AP. The story itself was so boring and awful that I didn't care how in depth the dynamic changes were.

Plus the actual gameplay was totally unfun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't actually know how summoning works. I know the spot you're talking about, I didn't know there was anything there.

You have to be human to summon, or else the signs don't show up at all.

You also have to be human to be invaded.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

tuyop posted:

So I don't think I get Bloodborne. Where is the fun here? I wandered around and killed some dudes then lit a lamp and killed some more dudes then I got killed by some dudes and had to kill them all again. I rolled through some boxes and the dead dudes seemed to lose all mass when killed so that was cool. Is there like a story or motivation that emerges at some point?

The story in these games is told primarily through item descriptions. There are occasional very brief cutscenes, and some NPCs but there's very little exposition and a lot of what's actually going on is up to the player to interpret.

As for the fun of the actual gameplay, yes - when you die most enemies get reset (with the exception of bosses and certain other powerful unique enemies). As a result, making progress isn't about clearing out enemies, but rather learning the route through the level and opening up shortcuts so you don't have to run back through everything every time you die. In general you get a new lantern as a hard checkpoint only after beating a boss, but every boss has one or more shortcuts between it and an earlier lantern, so finding those is the key to making your boss attempts painless.

It can feel hard to make progress in early Bloodborne because you can't even level up or upgrade your weapons yet. So in addition to seeking out shortcuts, if you want to know how to unlock leveling as soon as possible I'll put that in a spoiler tag: you need to gain one Insight (the stat on your HUD with a little eye symbol next to it) to make the Doll in the Dream wake up and unlock the house. You can get Insight by running into a boss (you don't need to beat it) or by finding and using a "Madman's Knowledge" item.

• Locked thread