Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Does "Wog" have the same meaning in Americuntland as it does here in the UK?

I mean do you call your friend of the family people Wogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Wog Boy is an australian movie you uncultured swine

in australia it means a lebanese/greek/italian sort of person

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
We called niggers here wog - dont you remember the golliwogs or robertsons jam?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
yes but in australia they call south european and lebanese people wogs, and that is the meaning of wog boy in this movie

they don't say wog in america

e: holy poo poo you just said niggers in gbs. prepare for incoming ban

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Oh' poo poo... another :10bux:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

The Saurus posted:

Wog Boy is an australian movie you uncultured swine

in australia it means a lebanese/greek/italian sort of person

It's also a very fluid term which has at various times included Slavic people. There are also weird and arbitrary exclusions and exclusions. It used to include Polish people but not Germans. It currently includes Lebanese people but generally doesn't include Egyptian, Jordanian or Sudanese people.

It's not a generic term for dark-skinned people in Australia. Indian and Pakistani people are not wogs, no matter how dark their skin, and neither are Pacific Islanders and Filipinos.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 1, 2015

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Lolie posted:

It's also a very fluid term which has at various times included Slavic people. There are also weird and arbitrary exclusions and exclusions. It used to include Polish people but not Germans. It currently includes Lebanese people but generally doesn't include Egyptian, Jordanian or Sudanese people.

It's not a generic term for dark-skinned people in Australia. Indian and Pakistani people are not wogs, no matter how dark their skin, and neither are Pacific Islanders and Filipinos.

Jesus loving Christ Australia just call them Niggers, Paki's and Slavs like the rest of humane society.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
maybe an australian racist had bad handwriting and was writing "wop" but it looked like "wog"

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

The Saurus posted:

maybe an australian racist had bad handwriting and was writing "wop" but it looked like "wog"
I thought With Out Papers was for Italians and Sicilians?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Nah see, what you yanks don't understand, what you'll never understand about Aussies, is that we love Wog'o'rama. It's fully sick.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Tramadol Junkie posted:

I thought With Out Papers was for Italians and Sicilians?

those are called wogs in australia too along with greeks and lebs

will you pay attention?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Slavs get called maco alot even if they are bulgarian or serb or whatever. This one dosent make alot of sense to me. Maybe cauae macos talk about macedon so much its the word that sticks in peoples heads

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Isaac posted:

Slavs get called maco alot even if they are bulgarian or serb or whatever. This one dosent make alot of sense to me. Maybe cauae macos talk about macedon so much its the word that sticks in peoples heads

Nothing about the way Australians group ethnicities makes much sense. I'm not even going to try explaining "fob".

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What's so hard about fob? Fresh off the boat = first generation immigrants and/or Islanders.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Tramadol Junkie posted:

Jesus loving Christ Australia just call them Niggers, Paki's and Slavs like the rest of humane society.

You dont get banned for saying wog because it doesnt cause pangs of white guilt in Americans

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What's so hard about fob? Fresh off the boat = first generation immigrants and/or Islanders.

At least around here it's used exclusively to refer to Filipinos and Pacific Islanders. It's never used to immigrants of other ethnic origin.

Like "wog", it's probably taken on a uniquely Australian useage over time.

a bay posted:

You dont get banned for saying wog because it doesnt cause pangs of white guilt in Americans

Australians remain amused that KFC ads get pulled and biscuits withdrawn from sale here because of American sensibilities but one of our best-selling cheeses is still called "Coon" (which is and remains a slur here, unlike the black people and chicken thing and the golliwog thing).

Lolie fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 1, 2015

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Huh, I always thought Coon was a town like Bega. I think Arnotts still sells Golliwogs but they made them white and put icing on them. I think they call them Dollies or something now.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Huh, I always thought Coon was a town like Bega. I think Arnotts still sells Golliwogs but they made them white and put icing on them. I think they call them Dollies or something now.

It's named after the (American) guy who patented the process for making it.

quote:

COON Cheese is made in Australia. The brand name recognises the work of an American, Edward William Coon, who patented a unique ripening process that was used to manufacture the original COON cheese.

http://www.coon.com.au/

quote:

Coon cheese is named after its American creator, Edward William Coon (1871–1934) of Philadelphia, who patented a method, subsequently known as the Cooning process, for fast maturation of cheese via high temperature and humidity.[1][2][3][4][5] Former manufacturer Kraft, and later Dairy Farmers and National Foods, have vigorously defended the trademark.

E. W. Coon was the grandson of Amherst Coon (1795–1877), a farmer born in Russia, New York, who married Sally Betsey Treat in 1822. His sons Mattison (b. 1823) and Ephraim Coon (b. 1832) were described in 1893 as having been in the butter and cheese business together at 29 South Water Street, Philadelphia, for more than thirty years. Ephraim's son Edward Willie Coon was born on July 30, 1871, and had taken out at least one cheese patent by 1912.[6][7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon_cheese

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Id forgotten about fob. I just left vic where the more straight forward 'coconut' is used.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Lolie posted:

It's named after the (American) guy who patented the process for making it.

http://www.coon.com.au/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon_cheese

What does Coon cheese taste like

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Plastic feet.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

a bay posted:

What does Coon cheese taste like

It's really mild "tasty" cheese. It's a cheddar, but not as soft and creamy as the standard Kraft cheddar. Kraft cheddar blocks live on the normal supermarket shelves whereas Coon lives in the chiller section, so they're processed differently. They both qualify as "plastic" cheese, though.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Isaac posted:

if u ever make the mistake of misidentifying a balkan slav, be prepared to get a massive lecture on how they are definitely 100% different to all their terrible, unclean neighbours

even though they are like all literally the same

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

TheIllestVillain posted:

if u ever make the mistake of misidentifying a balkan slav, be prepared to get a massive lecture on how they are definitely 100% different to all their terrible, unclean neighbours

If you misidentify a Serbian as a Croatian or vice versa, you're likely to get more than a lecture.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heres a glossary for non australians

Latvians/estonians: Redskins
Vietnamese: Potato Squeezers
Brazilians: Ching Chongs

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Isaac posted:

:what:

everything's mixed up and upside down in oz land

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I think he might be taking the piss.

As a white guy can I use the term "Black Fellas"?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Let me tell you those Torres islanders really get on my tits - Acting like they're better than other Australian Aboriginal groups just because they had seafaring vessels. You only had them because you were on the Polynesian trade routes and got to partake in their ship technology you smug wankers.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wrageowrapper posted:

Not sure

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Saurus posted:

:what:

everything's mixed up and upside down in oz land

it's because there's a bunch of japanese in brazil, australians are incapable of making such distinctions

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Wrageowrapper posted:

I think he might be taking the piss.

It's not regarded as racist amongst any ATIS I know unless it's being used in a clearly pejorative sense, which it normally isn't because racists don't tend to use the same term ATIS use as a self-descriptor. That's more in the context of informal conversation, though. It's not really appropriate in public addresses or formal speech.

Trying to be too careful can bring you undone, too. "Indigenous"is regarded as a white man's term and somewhat ignorant and you're just going to look stupid if you use "koori" as a generic term for Aboriginal.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
All i know is yandi means weed

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Apparently Buddha is a rude word in one of the Kimberly languages but I don't know exactly what it means.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

TheIllestVillain posted:

yeah its like that around here, but a few of the more recent ones have been afghan kebab shops which are an entirely different thing (they have dumplings served with tangy meat sauce which is da bomb)

There's a little Afghan kebab place here in NYC that's amazing. It's definitely different from other kinds of kebab places in the city, and pretty much blows them all away. I've been eating there for 20 years and I never get sick of it.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The Saurus posted:

I thought Wog Boy 1 was a pretty good movie, how does the sequel compare?
I should tell you that Wog Boy 1 was a very poo poo movie.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Budzilla posted:

I should tell you that Wog Boy 1 was a very poo poo movie.

What do you think of the sequel Wog Boy 2 Kings of Mykonos?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Isaac posted:

What do you think of the sequel Wog Boy 2 Kings of Mykonos?

They probably shouldn't have waited 10 years to make a sequel. Bogan culture is the currently popular comedic theme.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
gianopoulos is not good though, fenech did wog comedy better until he sold out to ride the bogan gravy train

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Isaac posted:

Heres a glossary for non australians

Latvians/estonians: Redskins
Vietnamese: Potato Squeezers

What the hell that's not even close.

Latvians = Big butt white bitches
Vietnamese = Big butt skinny bitches
Brazillians = Carnivale rear end having rear end bitches with asses. Carnivale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Hot Brazilian girls are ALWAYS transexuals.

• Locked thread