Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Moonburst , Sunburst, Starburst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
"I said SHOW ME THE BIRTHMARK!" roared Lutaax, his hands clenching the plush arms of the Awvulian throne until his knuckles turned white.
Imgai coughed through the blood in her mouth as one of the guards wrenched up the back of her tunic, revealing the familiar shape of the grenade she had borne on her skin since being wrenched from her dead mother's womb.
"Qqqqqqq," she whispered.

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 1, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Mooncup saga part 1: Catching Blood

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
"If you wanna join us in the field, you gotta learn some basic self-defense. Come on, hit me."
"I'm not gonna hit you.", I managed a nervous laugh.
"Come on, throw me a punch. Don't worry, I promise I won't get hurt."

15 minutes later

"The Commune can disable our Battlegloves at will, so you'll have to learn how to use some old-school weapons."
"You mean Photonic Wrist-Cannons?"
"Nope, way old-school", he smirks an presses a slingshot into my hands.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've- I've only heard of these from Holo Books...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

cram me sideways posted:

lmao @ 60 year old women unironically reading this kinda poo poo

yeah i'm fuckin callin you out, mom

same, sadly

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
teenage protagonists are loving lame and will forever be; replace harry potter with a wizened gold prospector prone to racists outbursts please

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The Grupdults sit ensconced in their Fortress of Platitude, their many years of experience creating a thick mental cloud that all but blinds them from the peoples plight. The Dadite patrols make the streets treacherous, as they've become far quicker to resort to their Grounding Clubs or their Time Out Grenades. Tymber's own guardients had ignored her well reasoned pleas, and had pledged their allegiance to The Enablers.

Tymber Juno wondered aloud in her mind, "Will the Geriatrix still dismiss my sixteen years of wisdom when I rise at the Thanksdoing Feast and announce my pregnancy?"

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Worldshatter posted:

"The Dissent Trilogy"

Dissent
Ascent
Lament

nomadologique posted:

you missed Foment and Cement, could easily make it a pentalogy

Also Ferment.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*has a dumb loving name*

*is uninteresting teen girl*

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

"I said SHOW ME THE BIRTHMARK!" roared Lutaax, his hands clenching the plush arms of the Awvulian throne until his knuckles turned white.
Imgai coughed through the blood in her mouth as one of the guards wrenched up the back of her tunic, revealing the familiar shape of the grenade she had borne on her skin since being wrenched from her dead mother's womb.

I love you.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Decebal posted:

that makes sense I guess. Why call them Young ADULT books ?

Young adult is the term people used to refer to adolescents before the concept of the "teenager" - a person in a distinct life stage between childhood and adulthood - existed.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

It was at that moment that she realized that she really was special, not because of the fact she had just beaten up ten soldiers with nunchucks, but because of what she felt within her heart.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hello I'm the love interest my defining trait is being attractive

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Of all the girls in the galaxy, why would you choose me? Katalyn said

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
The 80s have got you covered if you ever want to adopt it into a film.

Threads posted:

A month after the attack, soldiers finally dig through to the Town Hall basement only to find the emergency staff all dead from suffocation. Burying the dead bodies is a waste of manpower and burning them is considered a waste of fuel, which leads to outbreaks of communicable diseases such as cholera and typhoid. The government authorises the use of capital punishment and special courts are convened to sentence and execute the new class of criminals. As money no longer has any value, the only viable currency is food, given as a reward for work or withheld as punishment. The millions of tons of soot, smoke and dust now in the upper atmosphere soon leads to nuclear winter. As the narrator intones, "it starts to get cold, it starts to get dark". Ruth is later seen working on a farm in Buxton, having defied official advice by fleeing the city, and eventually giving birth to a daughter in a farm out-building.

A year after the war, sunlight begins to return but food production remains poor due to the lack of proper equipment, fertilisers and fuel. Damage to the ozone layer also means this sunlight is heavy with ultraviolet radiation, with cataracts and cancer becoming more common.

Ten years later Britain's population has fallen to medieval levels of around 4 to 11 million people. The government manages to retain some semblance of contact through radio broadcasts. Survivors work the fields using primitive farming tools, and children born since the attack are educationally stunted, speaking a broken form of illiterate English. Prematurely aged and blind with cataracts, Ruth collapses in the field and soon dies, survived by her 10-year-old daughter Jane. By this time, the country is beginning to recover—or at least function at the most base level—with resumption of coal mining, limited electricity production, and some steam powered mechanisation derived from 19th century technology. Yet the population continues to live in near-barbaric squalor among the ruins.

Three years after Ruth's death, Jane and two boys are caught stealing food. One boy is shot in the ensuing confusion; Jane wrestles for the food with the other and they have (what the script describes as) "crude intercourse". Months later, Jane finds a makeshift hospital and gives birth. The film ends as she is about to scream in horror as she looks upon her stillborn child.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

oh wow, the amulet my mentor secretly gave me on his deathbed is shaped exactly like the symbol of the resistance

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

Crayyg grew deadly silent. His delicate features were glacial. "Those aren't nightmares," he said sternly. "They're visions. The man you describe is the Xeno Overseer. No one but my family has ever seen him."

crabf
May 29, 2015
I've been shot 10 times and I've already pretty much bled out at this point but allow me to tell you a story that you will remember in a sad scene as you're leading a rebellion.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think... I think we should name the baby "Hope."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
*flashes back to time playing happily outside in a field of flowers for a split second*

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tell me about this thing you call "fun".

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

after discovering their 'special purpose', the hero easily defeats and humiliates the thugs that were previously bullying them daily.

the thugs learn to respect the protagonist and selflessly sacrifice themselves during a vital battle.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It turns out the real monsters are the humans, and more specifically, the adults

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

*Dramatic PTSD flashback which ends with a close up on the protagonists face*

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
There is a dangerous technique I will teach you but you must promise to only use it when it is your life, or his.
-maester yaado (diminutive asian)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
He is my protector. An old hound dog that my uncle named "Democracy"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I never did well at the academy. I was too busy reading classics like Wuthering Heights and Lolita while my fellow students were studying hypermaths.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Father told me about the people back then. They called it Global Warming, but soon he said it became a Global Warning.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"The excesses of the Before Times are why we hide behind these walls. Why we dwell in darkness. Would you risk all we have left by having us return to their savage ways?"

"What kind of life do we have where love itself is dismissed as 'savage?"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I stood teetering, trying not to look down at the streets of Neo Louis. Alyx sneer at me, preparing to throw his axe, "Do you know what this place is little girl? Before the fall this arch was known as the gateway to the west. But I guess now you can consider it the gateway to your afterlife!"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The anthem of the rebellion is Fireworks by Katy Perry, but sung more slowly and accompanied by bag pipes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Why yes, somehow the hydroponics bay does produce enough food to support the hundreds of people living in this repurposed missile silo.

Standish
May 21, 2001

The wreckage of the RJ-45 Peacemaker warbot loomed over the tiny innocent village like a mountain. "That...that was incredible", blurted Staeven, his sky-green eyes wide with shock. "That thing can destroy entire cities but you took it down with just your nunchucks!" . But I was too tired to return his smile. There would be another battle tomorrow. And the day after. And the day after that.

---===END BOOK SIX===---

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
They say the bunker was built in the old days. It was only supposed to house four people, not 40,000 but dammit, we make it work.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Step aside you loving rear end clowns here you go op

- A snappy name either beginning with "The" or consisting of a single, edgy word.

The Squirts

- A reluctant teen hero aged about 17, preferably with a slightly unusual name

Domingo Trafalgar, a fiesty latin 18 year old with a heart of gold and 65% of a moustache. A lowly street thief trying to feed his brothers Aladdin and Chim-chim with the soy nut scraps he can steal from Trader Joe's

- An evil government/corporation with a dark and menacing name (bonus points for acronyms)

G.U.N.T. - G. Unit's National Treasure --a joint capitalist venture between Nicolas Cage and Fifty Cent. They like to buy expensive jewelry and tell men they look cool wearing it even though they don't

- Token black guy

LeBron James

- A weapon that the main character is highly skilled in, despite it being highly impractical in a world with guns (nunchucks anybody?)

Domingo can throw Yu Gi Oh cards with exceptional accuracy and speed like an autistic gambit he has an extensive playlist of youtube videos of him extinguishing candles (good opportunities here for "you activated my trap card")

- A love interest who starts out cold but slowly warms up to the protagonist

Doodie Hawkins is a rebel without a cause. She is a very white girl but speaks with a Jamaican accent for some reasons and wears two-tone all the time and thinks the reel big fish were the epitome of musical talent.

- Gimmicky event that happens every night/week/month/etc.

GUNT holds a jewelry show for men only where they sell women's jewelry to men but at a price, that price being your life or money

- Anything else you can think of

Soundtrack by REO Speedwagon

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

"Things used to be a different." Master Brayfoid's weathered face contorted as he continued, his eyes suddenly alight with rage.

"Then one day, Benghazi. Humanity never had a chance."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dystopian teen Tom Clancy novels seems like an untouched market.

Eight pages spent describing the first assault rifle the hero gets, and how it feels like a natural extension of their body from the very first time they use it on the range. Then two pages for every new attachment they get for it during the course of their adventure. Rescuing the object of their infatuation from the Islamist adults while struggling to understand why twisting their knife in an old person's guts makes them feel so shameful, and tears well as they think of a strange, pale figure in their memory who they love so much.

Anyway, it turns out that the biological weapons labs that have always been in Iraq were used to weaponise old people smell. They've been controlling the noble, white youth with painful nostalgia and their indestructible respect for old white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

goatface posted:

Dystopian teen Tom Clancy novels seems like an untouched market.

Eight pages spent describing the first assault rifle the hero gets, and how it feels like a natural extension of their body from the very first time they use it on the range. Then two pages for every new attachment they get for it during the course of their adventure. Rescuing the object of their infatuation from the Islamist adults while struggling to understand why twisting their knife in an old person's guts makes them feel so shameful, and tears well as they think of a strange, pale figure in their memory who they love so much.

Anyway, it turns out that the biological weapons labs that have always been in Iraq were used to weaponise old people smell. They've been controlling the noble, white youth with painful nostalgia and their indestructible respect for old white people.

Yeah, Red Dawn is pretty much the only one I know in that genre

• Locked thread