Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Anybody here coach a team?

I coach a group of 9-10 year olds playing Flag Football in the local Boys' and Girls' club rec league. It is super fun. It's a 5-on-5 league and we have a 6-person roster, our kids all play most of the snaps no matter the time of possession; most of our opponents can sub in an entire team on a turn over.

My philosophy with it is that kids are smarter than most people think so I am focused on empowering them with memorizing an easy and diverse playbook, giving them the opportunity for input in the play book and game plans, and generally giving them a lot of autonomy and ownership in their assignments. I am probably the coach with the lightest touch on the field. I've assigned a couple team captains. Our D captain is awesome. We run a no-huddle offense and primarily man defense, both of which the kids are getting really good at. We push some rules and take advantage of the kids' strengths.

Before we settled on our playbook and got it all memorized, we had a rocky start to the year. I didn't realize until game 3 (of 5 so far) that our ground game is way more reliable than passing. Since we switched it up to a running focused offense, it's been dominant. We are 3-2, winning our last two definitively. Our defense is just now coming together too. I've been spending at least 10 minutes of every practice playing a variant of flyers up and since then we've had at least one interception per game.

The other coaches this week (ha I am a one-man show on my team) were slow as heck. 30 second huddles each snap, I think they were going over the mechanics of the play in the huddle. Kind of painful to watch, esp since my kids were all ready to go on defense and started looking impatient.

Want to know anything about it? I might have an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread