Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
I'm back from vacation; it was fun. But my online General Psychology class started and that is the complete opposite of fun. The good news is, it won't stop me from uploading a new video. This one features some excellent wordplay on Shecky's part. And also a hilarious bonk on the head from behind.

Episode 12 - He's Crazy And He Has A Bat, So He's...

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I'm just watching through all the vids and I just wanna say, I really love seeing LPs involving family members because of the banter that comes up, especially concerning older people. Your dad is real cool and I also vouch what someone said the previous page to try out Papers, Please and see what your dad thinks about it from his Cold War days.

He sounds a lot like Sullivan from the Uncharted games, which is rad by me. Can't wait to watch more of this!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's an unusually realistic note from the patient (the one whose husband is cheating on her). IIRC that actually happened in some mental institutions in the past.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

FinalGamer posted:

I'm just watching through all the vids and I just wanna say, I really love seeing LPs involving family members because of the banter that comes up, especially concerning older people. Your dad is real cool and I also vouch what someone said the previous page to try out Papers, Please and see what your dad thinks about it from his Cold War days.

He sounds a lot like Sullivan from the Uncharted games, which is rad by me. Can't wait to watch more of this!

Aww! After a long night of working on BS for my BS Intro to Psych class (online), this really cheered me up. Honestly, this Psych class just started last week and it's sucking up all of my free time. I'll tell dad about Sully, but it might get lost in the generation gap, haha. But I fully intend to put Shecky through Papers, Please. I just need to convince him to last 15 minutes or more, so it can be its own episode. That would actually be good timing, because of the 4 hours of Outlast I last recorded, there's only one more episode of content I can pull from it. I lost so much of it in editing.

While I have everyone's attention, now's a great time for me to ask for advice. Maybe there's a thread that could help, but basically I am open to suggestions for getting more people to check out my LPs. Not trying to be a superstar or anything, but I like conversations with strangers, and fan art! :staredog:

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 21, 2016

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

That's an unusually realistic note from the patient (the one whose husband is cheating on her). IIRC that actually happened in some mental institutions in the past.

Which part are you referring to, that actually happened in the past? But yes, in many media, when they "get it wrong" regarding modern-vs-horrible asylums, it can be kind of funny, or just ham-fisted. But many of the documents and notes in this game walk that fine line where it becomes more of a nightmare scenario. Like what if you ended up in a place like this (haunted or not)... sort of like the Chicago police, I hate to say.

On a much lighter, related note, here's an old sketch from Exit 57 about having your wife committed (wow that's Stephen Colbert before anyone knew how to pronounce his last name).

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

In the past, husbands could commit their wives into psychiatric institutions if they were not happy with their behavior. If I remember right, Nellie Bly mentioned that one of the women she talked to was locked in for being "rebellious"

Victorian mental hospitals were especially bad, since they could lock women up for social deviance or "moral insanity" which could be loving anything.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

In the past, husbands could commit their wives into psychiatric institutions if they were not happy with their behavior. If I remember right, Nellie Bly mentioned that one of the women she talked to was locked in for being "rebellious"

Victorian mental hospitals were especially bad, since they could lock women up for social deviance or "moral insanity" which could be loving anything.

Gotcha. Ugh, that's what I was afraid it was. I'm glad it's not "like that" anymore, but there's still quite a ways to go in some aspects.

That being said, at least the Walrider drinks milk from women's nips. For men, it's blood. :barf:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Espresso Steampunk posted:

That being said, at least the Walrider drinks milk from women's nips. For men, it's blood. :barf:

wait, what?

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

wait, what?

It's from a document, the big reveal on the Walrider. I totally talked over it (about the movie "Curse of the Demon" whose name I couldn't recall) and I feel just awful about it. I should probably add a notation to the description of the latest video (where I'm like "Did I delete that part?", nope, it was in episode 11).

Here's the quick and dirty link to that document. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTqC0JlArVg&t=570s

And also, what the heck, here's a trailer to Curse of the Demon (called Night of the Demon in the original British version)

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 28, 2016

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Someone on the "recommend LPs" thread posted this:

"Are there any games (and LPs) where the main character is canonically unintelligent or naive and is blatantly manipulated, while the player controlling the character is fully aware of the manipulation but has no choice but to go along with it?"

Thinking about it, that sounds like Outlast, to me! (not that I ought to post about my own thread) I just beat the game last night, so I may be being a bit meta. But does anyone else think Miles Upshur is naive and being manipulated? PS, there's probably 5 episodes left, so Shecky and I need to buckle down and get Papers, Please and the docu-note podcast up-and-running.

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 21, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Silent Hill and Mindjack are the only ones that come to mind for me.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Silent Hill and Mindjack are the only ones that come to mind for me.

Ohhh man, Silent Hill. Especially that terrible one where you're talking to a psychiatrist or whatever. :staredog:

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
2 years ago on this day, a wonderful Outlast video was posted...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

At least Miles still has all the fingers needed to play it :v:

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

At least Miles still has all the fingers needed to play it :v:

It would be great if (it was a real thing) the game gets harder as Miles loses fingers. Though there is an upcoming thing where the camera's visuals are going to get screwy. I was afraid I'd get motion sickness and, to quote Jason Mantzoukas, "That's when I was like 'barf.' And by barf I mean barf out my wiener-- I came."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Hmmm, if you're still looking at games might I suggest Foul Play? A simple game that has a format that might be easier to connect to. Enjoying the LP so far though, keep it up.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

professor_curly posted:

Hmmm, if you're still looking at games might I suggest Foul Play? A simple game that has a format that might be easier to connect to. Enjoying the LP so far though, keep it up.

Ooo, that does look interesting. To me, anyway. It might be a bit abstract for Shecky... one of his oddest quirks is that he does not appreciate cartoons. Like if something is too unrealistic-looking, he zones out. I am totally intending to put him through Papers, Please, though. I just.... hope there's a Steam sale soon. I would feel bad paying $10 just for a joke on my dad. :boom:

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 21, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUrtFD6-wH4

Your co-star ran into some trouble while ordering coffee.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUrtFD6-wH4

Your co-star ran into some trouble while ordering coffee.

Bummer, "video has been removed by the user." But I'm guessing it was the person railing on Voldemorte to his face at Starbucks? Because that was awesome. :golfclap::coffee:

Actually I'm really glad you posted it. Because I wanted to, but didn't want it to appear to be my own private agenda. As if my only legacy would be "He hated the governor so much he made... a Let's Play...?"

And thank you for posting, by the way. You deserve some good news, at least. I'll have the next episode up by Sunday! Tomorrow I have both a midterm exam and an audition, so this week was way more hectic than usual. But as I alluded to before, I've finished playing through Outlast, so next Monday or so we'll start powering through them. And also put together a notes/document "podcast." And soon enough I'll buy myself Papers, Please. Forget waiting for a steam sale, I'll call it a blirthday present.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bummer, "video has been removed by the user." But I'm guessing it was the person railing on Voldemorte to his face at Starbucks? Because that was awesome. :golfclap::coffee:

Actually I'm really glad you posted it. Because I wanted to, but didn't want it to appear to be my own private agenda. As if my only legacy would be "He hated the governor so much he made... a Let's Play...?"

Considering how insane the dude is, I don't think anyone would mind. This was the Scott PAC response to the starbucks video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwRx8-Hjlk0

drat boy you sure showed that upset woman who's boss by getting your PAC to make a video well after the fact

voldemort-sama your so kool

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Yeah, there are no more tax incentives for filmmakers to come here (so much for looking out for Joe The Actor) but he'll throw money into producing a bright and shiny video for his own shenanigans..

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Lucky Episode 13 is up! Also, we tried to record some Papers, Please but OBS didn't record the microphone loud enough. If I can't fix it in Audacity (likely that I can't) then we'll have to re-record it. But yeah... that's coming! I keep my promises.

Episode 13 - Or Is It Memorex?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Losing the camera and the visual glitches really should have happened way earlier. They're much more interesting than valve puzzles. This game has weird priorities.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Losing the camera and the visual glitches really should have happened way earlier. They're much more interesting than valve puzzles. This game has weird priorities.

Totally agree. The Walrider reveal was a smidge late (but that could be due to my propensity for getting lost), the movie at the end of this episode was very well-timed, but considering how the game is basically constructed around the camcorder... they really could have messed around with it more. We've been climbing on stuff all game!

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Just letting everyone know I am tirelessly preparing for my practical exam in Anatomy 2 Lab (I wanna grow up to be jusssst like Dr. Traeger). So there will be a bit more than my usual delay until next episode, but I'll have it up by next Tuesday.

Also, Shecky played Papers, Please, but unfortunately I screwed up the volume levels on OBS. Unless Audacity has some magic effect, I'm going to have to try again later, which sadly ruins the spontaneity of the game. Spoiler alert: Shecky hated it. But he's willing to sit through it again!

In the meantime, there's this joke:

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 21, 2016

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
I mean... I had to post something today... :shrug:

:staredog: Leading Orthodox rabbi rules marijuana kosher for Passover

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Aww what did he not like about it?

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Aww what did he not like about it?

He could explain it better-- I mean, he'd originally (and will again) ended by explaining he simply doesn't enjoy video games, as a whole. But furthermore, he did not appreciate the ironic nature of P,P, and honestly it would need a much more in-depth tutorial for him to have picked up the gameplay. And also he complained that my mouse was too sensitive (big difference in gamer and non-gamer, there). Though we did have a lovely conversation. I'll invite him over for another Outlast session, and I will assume he'll volunteer to do a replay while he's over here. If not, I'll just drop hints. But he did express willingness to do it all again, so I promise it will (eventually) be delivered!

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Happy Friday! Here's update 14... we are getting seriously close to the end of things!

Episode 14 - Maybe It's Because He Doesn't Have Any Pants On :staredog:

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Thunder Gun really let himself go.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Sutureself posted:

Thunder Gun really let himself go.

He Thunder Gunned right through that door.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hey, just spotted this LP and I'm enjoying it a lot. You're both fun to listen to and your dad's little quips are great. Nice to see an LP of this game that isn't all shrieking and overreactions.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Hey, just spotted this LP and I'm enjoying it a lot. You're both fun to listen to and your dad's little quips are great. Nice to see an LP of this game that isn't all shrieking and overreactions.

Thank you very much, and (especially) welcome to the LP! I'm very curious; how did this get on your radar?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thank you very much, and (especially) welcome to the LP! I'm very curious; how did this get on your radar?

Just clicked on 'Games' for once instead of staring at my bookmarks and you'd just posted so it was near the top. And I dig watching people play games with their parents. When I was little I used to play videogames with my mum.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Just clicked on 'Games' for once instead of staring at my bookmarks and you'd just posted so it was near the top. And I dig watching people play games with their parents. When I was little I used to play videogames with my mum.

Very cool! Which games did you used to play? I'm always on the hunt for new stuff to force upon Shecky. Granted I haven't had much success this time around, but whichever game we LP next, I intend to run through a gamut of intermissions. Now that the semester is ending and it's summer, I am dying to use my free time creating content (as was my original plan).

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 21, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Very cool! Which games did you used to play? I'm always on the hunt for new stuff to force upon Schecky.

Well I'm terribly old so we used to play on a Spectrum +2. There are modern remakes of some of that old stuff, mind - Head Over Heels. She was mad for a game called Wizard's Lair which was just an Atic Atac ripoff. These days it's all hidden object games for her.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
That's awesome. I started on a Commodore 64, myself. Out of curiosity, I just dug up a playthrough of Wizard's Lair on the ZX Spectrum, those are some smooth graphics.

The reason I was curious (along with getting to know you :hfive: ) is Shecky claims to be totally uninterested in video games, and also cartoons, and also things with too much action/stress .... so I'm always trying to figure out how I can sway him, or what might catch his attention.

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 21, 2016

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Start your Monday off "fright" muahaha! Episode 15 of Outlast is ready!

Episode 15 - I Remember, Vaguely, The Magic Schoolbus

There's only one episode left after this one, so you can expect, very shortly, some videos of Papers, Please and a notes/documents review podcast. Furthermore! I think I have convinced Shecky to play through a video game, himself... so the next Father & Fun project should be super interesting? For now, though, let's just enjoy Miles Upshur's ride...

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 21, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There's only one episode left after this one, so you can expect, very shortly, some videos of Papers, Please and a notes/documents review podcast.

Hell yeah, I love Papers Please. I like seeing people's reactions to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Hell yeah, I love Papers Please. I like seeing people's reactions to it.

Nice, then I think you will enjoy this! I thought it would be like a 15 minute diversion, but we ended up recording about 45 minutes so.... two episodes coming! :staredog:

• Locked thread