Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh, it doesn't irk me! It is kind of hard to read the documents, not to mention the fact that it's incredibly difficult to keep a commentary going and yet still pause to read the scribbly backstory. (Note: I hate when games put documents in cursive) I was just bringing up things that I figured you guys naturally missed so it might make more sense for you and your dad as ya'll play the game! I love the videos, it's great when there's two people who can keep a commentary going during the dull parts of a game, even if it's an unrelated commentary.

And I think a game your dad might appreciate, since it sounds like he was a newsman during the cold war years, is Papers Please. Plus it's as long or short as you want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Page 2 Sniper :bsdsnype:

And I think a game your dad might appreciate, since it sounds like he was a newsman during the cold war years, is Papers Please. Plus it's as long or short as you want it to be.

Ohhhh gosh, haha, Papers Please will probably blow his mind! I'll take bets on how long he'll last before asking "Why would anyone play this???" (By the way, if anyone has hypothetical answers to that hypothetical question, let me know. Because I am clueless). In fact, my dad was an actor / theatre-crew-guy right up until I was born and he needed steadier income. His theatre-trained voice became his doorway into TV news; the rest, he faked until he got good at it! He actually had to re-enroll in a community college for a couple credits so he could grab the internship at a local station. So, I'm basically following in his footsteps, minus getting married and having kids :staredog: .

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Just wanted to say that you have two additional viewers. The boyfriend and I have really enjoyed the commentary. Your dad is awesome :)

I've seen Outlast played several times and the jump scares still get me sometimes. I am so bad at video games.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I know Espresso Steampunk and his dad personally, and I have to say that all the interesting things he has already talked about barely crack the top 5 or even top 10 of interesting things about Schecky. So if you like it so far, keep with it because that man has had an interesting life. Your's Espresso Steampunk, not so much.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Wiggy Marie posted:

Just wanted to say that you have two additional viewers. The boyfriend and I have really enjoyed the commentary. Your dad is awesome :)

I've seen Outlast played several times and the jump scares still get me sometimes. I am so bad at video games.

Exciting, and welcome aboard, you two! I was just recording more gameplay, and I must admit the jump scares still get me, too. As much as I've told my dad "Since you know you can't fight back, the scares lose some impact," I am a gamer, and I find myself reflexively mashing buttons. It's like in Pokemon, where everyone tells you it's random whether a pokemon escapes a pokeball or not... but we all developed superstitious button-presses, you know, just in case?

swickles posted:

I know Espresso Steampunk and his dad personally, and I have to say that all the interesting things he has already talked about barely crack the top 5 or even top 10 of interesting things about Schecky. So if you like it so far, keep with it because that man has had an interesting life. Your's Espresso Steampunk, not so much.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the best way to the stories going. You viewers have listed some questions that I'll definitely be asking, and that will probably snowball into cool stuff. But yes, my life in painfully mundane compared to Shecky's-- but he never had Let's Plays, so I'm leveraging that as hard as I can!

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 21, 2016

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Intermission: The Family Plays (tabletop) Splendor, part 1...

with music or

without music

I had a feeling Shecky was going to be extremely busy with this play opening soon. Luckily, my brother was in town around New Year's, so I managed to record a session of the 4 of us playing the tabletop game SPLENDOR. The bad news is, I had to use my parents' super-old DV camera. So the quality is not great, you can't really read the cards. If this is a new game to you, though, I hope it will at least generate interest. And if you have played Splendor before, fear not-- I added some electro-swing to the background (about 5 minutes in). I know some people like chatter in the background while they multitask, so maybe this will do it for you! If not... or if I get some BS copyright claim, I have a version with no music. That being said, I do link to the music and its CC use in the video, so it should all be good. Oh, and I censor my brother's name with barks, which is funny, because I used his name while recording for the sole purpose of giving myself more editing work.

With all that being said, I have the next 2 episodes of Outlast hot on the grill, just waiting for Shecky's words of wisdom. We should be back on track in a week!

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 21, 2016

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
i've just started watching your LP. Enjoyed the first episode, but for some reason the second one won't play for me. No problems with other videos, and it's not an issue with the browser, I've tried it on four different ones. Can you look into it?

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Aumanor posted:

i've just started watching your LP. Enjoyed the first episode, but for some reason the second one won't play for me. No problems with other videos, and it's not an issue with the browser, I've tried it on four different ones. Can you look into it?

Whoa, that's nuts! Thanks for letting me know. I'll look into it.... but probably sic my brother on the problem, haha. I'm not very tech savvy. Looking at things right now, I don't see any odd settings, but I'll get back to you ASAP. And also, I apologize for the delay, my semester just started and I'm kind of juggling things.

Welcome to the LP! :staredog:

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Aumanor posted:

Hi again! As the description will explain, I've re-exported episode 2 with a few different settings, and uploaded that. So hopefully it works. Let me know if it does, and I'll put it in the OP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86MsHQmbGc

(I have no idea how to deal with this new html auto-correct... dunno how to format titles and stuff into it, but whatever)

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Espresso Steampunk posted:

Hi again! As the description will explain, I've re-exported episode 2 with a few different settings, and uploaded that. So hopefully it works. Let me know if it does, and I'll put it in the OP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86MsHQmbGc

(I have no idea how to deal with this new html auto-correct... dunno how to format titles and stuff into it, but whatever)

It's working fine, thanks. Looking forward to more updates.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Aumanor posted:

It's working fine, thanks. Looking forward to more updates.

Excellent, and are the other videos (henceforth) working for you?

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Intermission: The Family Plays (tabletop) Splendor, part 2...

The Family Plays (tabletop) Splendor, part 2 (with music)

This episode wraps up the Father & Fun intermission. It's part 2 of the family playing the tabletop game Splendor. It has the same low quality you've come to expect from my parents' DV camera. :) But wait, there's more! As you may know, DV tapes only hold an hour of footage. Well, we lost track of time and the camera gave no warning, so this video is missing the thrilling last 3 minutes of the game. But that's okay, I sum it up in a text log at the end. Plus you get more electro-swing music!

And for those of you keeping track, yes, I assumed we'd have more OUTLAST for you by now. Shecky's doing fine with his play (actually the critic who reviewed it spoke very highly of him), but he's a bit burned out. I will do my best to drag him back into the world of survival horror though, whether he likes it or not...

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 21, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Congrats to Scheky on his play!

TBH I have a hard time of thinking on an introductory video game. A lot of games nowadays are aimed at bringing up quirks about gamer culture. Like Spec Ops: The Line was brought up and that was a Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now critique, except instead of the Vietnam War it was aimed at FPS fans. Undertale is an RPG which sort of pokes people's common instincts when it comes to games (poor Schecky is probably gonna be completely lost when it comes to its SAVE shenanigans).
I would say Pony Island, but that too plays heavily on people's knowledge of game culture.

Come on goons, crack open your bloated Steam libraries and give the OP some ideas.

Dark? Bahhahaha AND I BEEECOME THE NIIIIIIIGHT~ no.
Dishonored? Hey, there's an idea!
Escape Goat? Yeah this one is pretty cute too.
Illamentia? Weirdness discoveries for cherished creation. Eyes waterfall cast through font and colour contrast. (Translation: A really weird and hard puzzle game. Its font and colours will make your eyes hurt too)
Hand of Fate? Has a bit too much reading, but is otherwise well done. They redid the difficulty so the last level is kind of a dilz. Story's open to interpretation though.
Mind: Path to Thalmus? Oh man if Scheky is a writer he will have a loving field day with that ending.
MGS:R? I dunno, it's a bit bloody and Kojima. I had a hard time getting MGS myself tbh. Didn't help that I started with MGS2.
Portal? ...Actually yeah, that's not bad. The game is famous for a reason :v:
Resonance? Wadjet Eye is kind of an acquired taste and so are the endings they produce.
Shadow Warrior? Probably a bit shootman for Schecky.
Soul Axiom? Only recently became feature complete and it still needs polish. I'd do this one myself though. Once you figure out the puzzles, it can be pretty engrossing.
The Talos Principle? Not bad! I dunno if he has the patience for puzzles, but having you two argue vs The Dick Character could be fun. It's kind of a solo experience though.
Warframe? Nope. F2P TPS space ninja grind simulator. Dearly loved by goons who affectionately call it "the terrible game I have 1000 hours in" (Steam clocks me at 1708 :suicide:) but terrible for LP content.

I took out the obvious shootmans, RPGs and :japan: poo poo like Astebreed.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
It would be pretty appropriate to play the Shower With Your Dad Simulator on Steam. That would certainly lead to a confused and disturbed rant about something. The game, I mean.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

There's always Dad By The Sword.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

That looks pretty cool! Sword-combat games are hard to do (from what I've experienced).

Sutureself posted:

It would be pretty appropriate to play the Shower With Your Dad Simulator on Steam. That would certainly lead to a confused and disturbed rant about something. The game, I mean.

Oh noooo! Haha that's perfect! I'm actually thinking I'd like to do another one-off, or maybe 2 episodes of 30 minutes, where I actually make Shecky play (some of) Papers Please, Shower With Your Dad, and one other simple-to-learn-easy-to-control old-school kinda thing. I'm just now sure which the third game would be. And then, of course, I need to buy the games... so let me know if you see a sale. :staredog:

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 21, 2016

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Thank you for your patience, everyone! Schecky's play turned out to be really stressful and took up more time than anticipated. .... .... and yet he stars rehearsals on another play tomorrow! This one is much kinder to him, though. He has about 18 lines. In the last play he had more, including a 4-page monologue! :staredog:

Sorry the Splendor Intermission wasn't super-entertaining, but now it's time for episode 7! We finally turn those valves so we can climb down a flooded ladder, into a flooded sub-sub(-sub?)-basement. Dad and I discuss his time as a "drug war correspondent," :2bong: which leads to more discussion on drug policies, drug lords, and football-sort-of. Plus there's a teaser for a rather funny story, coming up in Episode 8!

Episode 7 - It's Also Getting A Little Bit More Disgusting

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You should mention to Schecky that video game devs loving love sewer levels. They're easy to make, easy to texture and can offer a good amount of gameplay time due to their maze-like structure. And you can even copy-paste them to get EVEN MORE gameplay time out of them at the cost of players cursing your existence :v:

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

You should mention to Schecky that video game devs loving love sewer levels. They're easy to make, easy to texture and can offer a good amount of gameplay time due to their maze-like structure. And you can even copy-paste them to get EVEN MORE gameplay time out of them at the cost of players cursing your existence :v:

Ah, so true! I actually do remember vaguely saying "There's a sewer in every game" or somesuch, but it was during the El Chapo bit, so my comment quickly left my brain.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Happy Valentine's Day, to all my viewers! Don't forget that chocolates get their prices "slashed" tomorrow. :3:

And here's some foreshadowing.... it's a Valentine's Day card from a new friend! :staredog:

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Have another update! This video is a bit short, but it ends with a fairly infamous and graphic (or disturbing) cutscene, and I'd be dumb not to end on that note. The good news is, Shecky shares that funny news-related story that we teased at the end of last episode.

Shecky also made me feel silly for overplaying how bad the cutscene may or may not be. While first playing it, alone, I thought it was pretty gross. But maybe it's just creepy? Anyway, when all's said and done with this new variant (to avoid spoilers), I'll share the Conan O'Brien clip.

Episode 8 - We Don't Reeeally Need To see His Tush :tutbutt:

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 21, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The scene was somewhat ruined because your dude's legs kind of clipped through the restraints

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

The scene was somewhat ruined because your dude's legs kind of clipped through the restraints

I totally missed that! I'm going through it again but, is this when he's wiggling to escape :wooper: , or way earlier?

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Episode 9 is ready. After a ton of editing, you get to see a fairly clean escape from Rick Trager. More importantly, Dad and I talk about the upcoming play he's in. And we also gripe about politics in Florida. Our governor is Rick Scott, who has cold, empty eyes and the flat smile of a sociopath. He was also recently came up in the news.... as a potential VP for Donald Trump. So that should sum up the state of Florida nicely for you.

:staredog:

Shecky was going to record another episode back-to-back with this one, but he felt he ran out of things to say. If anyone has questions for him, let me know. Otherwise I will have to find a way to steer him back to giving opinions on the game itself. Which would be fun, but I know there's not that much to hold his attention, much less talk about.

Episode 9 - HA! ... I'm sorry"

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 21, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah levity does a lot for movies and games. That's what's wrong with most entertainment that tries to be grimdark. Humans aren't grimdark. Humans try to joke, try to cheer themselves up. When you have nothing but doom and gloom you just lose your audience to apathy.

More importantly, Dad and I talk about the upcoming play he's in. And we also gripe about politics in Florida. Our governor is Rick Scott, who has cold, empty eyes and the flat smile of a sociopath. He was also recently came up in the news.... as a potential VP for Donald Trump. So that should sum up the state of Florida nicely for you.

:staredog:

For reference to non-Americans, this is what Rick Scott looks like:

and we musn't forget

YOU WILL JOIN US SOON YOUR FLESH A PART OF US

I totally missed that! I'm going through it again but, is this when he's wiggling to escape :wooper: , or way earlier?

Yeah when he's :wooper: I think the leg restraints were supposed to loosen up, but it looks more like he just ghosts through them.

Oh another game idea (prepare to edit though): XCOM!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 25, 2016

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Ah yes, that second picture of him is iconic! I'm honestly thinking of having some sort of contest to photoshop Rick Scott into a variant :zpatriot: ... but I don't know what kinda prize I'd give away.

For more reading up on his politics and quotes, check this out: http://www.ontheissues.org/Rick_Scott.htm

Since Episode 9 made our feelings pretty darn clear, I can at least promise Shecky and I won't bring that sort of thing up again in future videos.

EDIT: But since I haven't posted the next video yet, here's one more link on Rick Scott. It's a "mostly true" verdict about how he "oversaw the largest Medicare fraud in the nation’s history." Then went on to become governor and fight tooth-and-nail against the Affordable Care Act. http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2014/mar/03/florida-democratic-party/rick-scott-rick-scott-oversaw-largest-medicare-fra/

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 21, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Since Episode 9 made our feelings pretty darn clear, I can at least promise Schecky and I won't bring that sort of thing up again in future videos.

It's cool. Besides I bet there's tons of things to talk about Florida, like how The Satanic Temple passes out colouring books for children :v: :

EDIT: But since I haven't posted the next video yet, here's one more link on Rick Scott. It's a "mostly true" verdict about how he "oversaw the largest Medicare fraud in the nation’s history." Then went on to become governor and fight tooth-and-nail against the Affordable Care Act. http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2014/mar/03/florida-democratic-party/rick-scott-rick-scott-oversaw-largest-medicare-fra/

Or that. That works too :sigh:

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
So does Trager show up out of nowhere, give a weird speech, clip a few fingers, and then get in the middle of an elevator-sandwich with his rear end hanging out? I felt like they were setting him up as the big bad, and suddenly the protagonist decides to fight back for once!

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

It's cool. Besides I bet there's tons of things to talk about Florida, like how The Satanic Temple passes out colouring books for children :v: :

You know, I'm under the impression Shecky doesn't know about that awesome move/troll the Satantic Temple did! I freaking loved it... honestly at some point I'd throw my hat in with them just because they do great work down here; essentially fighting intolerance by holding up a mirror and enforcing equality. I might end up with a monologue about it next eppy.

Sutureself posted:

So does Trager show up out of nowhere, give a weird speech, clip a few fingers, and then get in the middle of an elevator-sandwich with his rear end hanging out? I felt like they were setting him up as the big bad, and suddenly the protagonist decides to fight back for once!

Sadly, that seems to be the case. When I saw the Conan O'Brien clip, I was under the impression Trager was one of the Main Baddies, so I was surprised when Chris Walker became the recurring nuisance. But I must admit I've missed some "documents" in-game, and the ones I've found have been glossed over... so I'm assuming there's a decent amount of foreshadowing. The players who do their homework may very well be shocked when they finally meet The Good Doctor. And it may explain Trager's monologue and suggestions that he's... selling our fingers? Or something? :staredog:

As I keep hemming and hawing about, dad and I owe the thread a podcast where we read and reveal all the backstory I missed. I think Curtains only runs for a couple weeks, so I'll try to get him to bang out this podcast when it wraps up.

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 21, 2016

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
By the way, just to share, this is the "Clueless Gamer" segment from Conan O'Brien, where I first heard of Outlast (and immediately decided to put my dad through it). Needles to say :rimshot: , this video contains some spoilers if you haven't already watched Episode 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7Os-_BJMo&t=298s

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Great news-- returning viewers will notice that Father & Fun got a cool new bumper/intro-animation!

Regarding the video proper, I sort of managed to steer Shecky away from Rick Scott, I'm insanely proud of myself. Instead, I explain to Dad why he's lucky I won't make him play Alien: Isolation, we discuss the Satanic Temple, touch on evolution, and then get to hear about having diarrhea in Vietnam. We also leave you, dear viewer, hanging... waiting to hear about when Shecky went back to Vietnam for a new special, 20 years after the war.

Episode 10 - You'd Wipe Yourself With the New York Times, Or Whatever

And also, for those curious non-Floridians (or maybe non-Yankees), here's one article of many, on the Satanism Coloring Book, including a look at what's inside!
Here's the Entire "Satanic Children's Big Book of Activities" To Make Your Day

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 21, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey we made it outside. Wasn't expecting that.

Exploitable

Also, I'm sorry:

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Also, I'm sorry:

That's so good! Mind if I add it to the fan art section?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sure, if you'd like :)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/709902906057691136

Welp. Sorry Espresso.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Welp. Sorry Espresso.

I'm glad you posted this, because I thought it would really tie things together... but I didn't want to be seen as "harping" on it.

And on that note, here's another update! Shecky shows amaaaaazing restraint and avoids all political commentary! :staredog:

Episode 11 - Hey, Here Comes Murray!

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 21, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be fair, American politics just sorta eclipses the news of what's going on. This election is absolutely nuts. Especially since the GOP are kind of in a meltdown right now, they're willing to burn bridges, supporters and their beliefs if it means that Trump won't win. Behold:

And I don't blame you for being fed up with these sections. There comes a point where bumbling in the dark ceases to be atmospheric and just becomes a chore.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

To be fair, American politics just sorta eclipses the news of what's going on. This election is absolutely nuts. Especially since the GOP are kind of in a meltdown right now, they're willing to burn bridges, supporters and their beliefs if it means that Trump won't win. Behold:

And I don't blame you for being fed up with these sections. There comes a point where bumbling in the dark ceases to be atmospheric and just becomes a chore.

Ha, I must admit I'm unfamiliar with that thingy. But it's pretty funny!

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Just leaving a note for my... 2 followers? Going on a little weekend vacation. I have another update prepared, it'll pop up on Tuesday!

In the meantime, I will be thinking about how to get more viewers. And you can pass the time by enjoying this read:

Why a Russian Hacker Declared War on the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ha, I must admit I'm unfamiliar with that thingy. But it's pretty funny!

It's not even the first one of its kind either!

Just leaving a note for my... 2 followers? Going on a little weekend vacation. I have another update prepared, it'll pop up on Tuesday!

In the meantime, I will be thinking about how to get more viewers. And you can pass the time by enjoying this read:

Why a Russian Hacker Declared War on the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

Talk about strange bedfellows.

• Locked thread