Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Good news! How do you feel about podcasts? Haitian Revolution episodes begin December 6th!

While you wait you can listen to the episodes about the English and American and French Revolutions.

I didn't know he was kicking it off so soon. Very much enjoyed the English podcasts, starting on the French with my daily walks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Good news! How do you feel about podcasts? Haitian Revolution episodes begin December 6th!

While you wait you can listen to the episodes about the English and American and French Revolutions.

he is great. everyone should listen to his history of rome podcast.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Senate parliamentarian will review a reconciliation bill tomorrow, which could make the vote in the Senate next week on removing the Medicaid expansion and defunding Planned Parenthood with a 51 vote threshold.

quote:

As he left the meeting, Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, said he was “very encouraged” by the emerging proposal that would roll back more of the Affordable Care Act than the version of the bill passed by the House. The chamber’s parliamentarian is expected to review the finished product Tuesday and debate could start soon after.

Lee joined with presidential hopefuls Ted Cruz of Texas and Marco Rubio of Florida in reacting negatively to the House-passed bill earlier this month. If the trio vote for the package, the GOP’s route to 51 votes is easier.

:munch:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Joementum posted:

The Senate parliamentarian will review a reconciliation bill tomorrow, which could make the vote in the Senate next week on removing the Medicaid expansion and defunding Planned Parenthood with a 51 vote threshold.

oh good, are we going to crash the goverment again.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought Joe Biden could override the parliamentarian as president of the senate.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Good to see Cruz and Lee working together again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Who employs the parliamentarian?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

greatn posted:

I thought Joe Biden could override the parliamentarian as president of the senate.

I think he could preside over the Senate whenever he wants, but there are bound to be procedures for getting around him, and he can't sit in there forever.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

greatn posted:

Only by drowning out the proceedings with a big block V8

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
"Hey lets shut down the government during the one time of year Americans buy all the poo poo!"

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

DemeaninDemon posted:

"Hey lets shut down the government during the one time of year Americans buy all the poo poo!"

I have a really bad feeling about the numbers for christmas this year.

EDIT: ha ha ha ohhhh boy http://time.com/4128592/black-friday-sales-down/

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

zoux posted:

Who employs the parliamentarian?

The Senate as a whole, though technically they're employed by the Secretary of the Senate (who is technically elected by the Senate, and in practice selected by the Majority Leader, currently Julie E Adams, a former McConnell staffer).

In practice, the parls do not give a gently caress about what any given Senator thinks and will make the decision they think should be made. (Current head parliamentarian is great, even if she made my life difficult a few times.)

The presiding officer doesn't have to listen to them, though.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Read the whole article gently caress. Says right there that Thursday/Friday numbers were down due to online shopping. Then stores also do all month long deals.

They will, however, be down on the year if the government wet farts its way to shutdown.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sales start as early as a week ahead of Black Friday now, and I think more people are finally starting find out that a lot of Black Friday sales aren't actually any better than past sales for the same item.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, it's a living capitalist hell that any sane person should want to avoid at any cost.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
As America's will to shop recedes, ISIS's power grows commensurately.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

Also, it's a living capitalist hell that any sane person should want to avoid at any cost.

Black Friday is the only time I've ever seen a store manager loose her poo poo and start screaming at customers. Granted it was at a Wal-Mart, but goddamn. :stare:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Black Friday is like some ironic twist ending from a smug 1950s scifi anthology show about the dangers of consumerism. It's awful and it needs to die.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

In other news, Martin Shkreli continues to be a turd [tw: gawker]

http://gawker.com/pharmaceuticals-r...dium=socialflow

He quietly bought into a dying biotech company (dying = shorted heavily), announced he was going to invest in it which shot the stock price up 4000% when everyone who shorted panicked and bought shares to run away, lent his shares out for more short selling, and then announced he was recalling them which shot the price up further. In the meantime, short sellers (who are vultures but a lesser evil here) all lost their rear end and Shkreli runs away an ownership stake worth God knows how much. Is the company actually going to survive? Who cares.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

GalacticAcid posted:

As America's will to shop recedes, ISIS's power grows commensurately.

America actually works like Tinkerbell except with consumption instead of audience applause. When GWB encouraged us to go shopping after 9/11 it wasn't "haha GWB is dumb" it was more "if you fuckers spend enough money we'll grow powerful enough to deploy the gundam"

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sales start as early as a week ahead of Black Friday now, and I think more people are finally starting find out that a lot of Black Friday sales aren't actually any better than past sales for the same item.

If another one of you clucks getting a Walmart laptop special expects your tech guy to fix after a month, may your name be cursed for all eternity. Black Friday electronics are the cheapest bits of poo poo mismatched and returned from the previous year. Never buy them please.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

He quietly bought into a dying biotech company (dying = shorted heavily), announced he was going to invest in it which shot the stock price up 4000% when everyone who shorted panicked and bought shares to run away, lent his shares out for more short selling, and then announced he was recalling them which shot the price up further. In the meantime, short sellers (who are vultures but a lesser evil here) all lost their rear end and Shkreli runs away an ownership stake worth God knows how much. Is the company actually going to survive? Who cares.

You know, I can't even be mad at this. He's taking advantage of people who are trying to game the stock market in the short term (like, minutes to hours?). So he is essentially using Jedi mind tricks on them and getting them to do his bidding. If you make panicked buy/sell decisions on what are almost penny stocks then you kind of deserve to be fleeced.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

From that one shortseller that got reamed:

quote:

My plan moving forward is to liquidate mine and wife’s 401k’s and try work out a payment plan with Etrade. I’m also going to ask them to help out in some way...thats a longshot. I will pay them and be back trading....only with set stops this time. What an expensive lesson that was.
Somehow it doesn't seem like the correct lesson!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Does this happen if Shkreli isn't semi famous? Is it the money or the person investing the money that led to the stock surge?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alkydere posted:

Black Friday is the only time I've ever seen a store manager loose her poo poo and start screaming at customers. Granted it was at a Wal-Mart, but goddamn. :stare:

My wife and I go Thursday/Friday at midnight. The crowds are moderately thin, well behaved, and it's fun to be in a store during their closed hours. It feels like being in a museum after hours :3:

Otoh I try to be as nice to the cashiers as I can because they're propping up my stupid bourgeois spree for minimum wage :smith:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chokes McGee posted:

My wife and I go Thursday/Friday at midnight. The crowds are moderately thin, well behaved, and it's fun to be in a store during their closed hours. It feels like being in a museum after hours :3:

Otoh I try to be as nice to the cashiers as I can because they're propping up my stupid bourgeois spree for minimum wage :smith:

Yeah, I worked handing out free samples in Walmarts for 3 years, got stuck doing 2 Black Friday events during that time. Thankfully I was a contractor and not technically a associate floor monkey. So I got to be the nice guy handing free five-hour energies instead of the guy dealing with the insanity.

The year I saw a manager lose her poo poo was one where WalMart was doing a new deal every hour. They'd cart out a bunch of pallets, tell everyone to stand back and wait for it, give them 30 minutes of madness to destroy the pallets, clean up and pull the wreckage back before bring out new pallets. The customers repeatedly refused to move back and give the workers space to bring out the new pallets and had to be told to make space so many times the manager just snapped.

I've never done a Black Friday anywhere else, and have been told WalMarts are the worst. I never loving want to find out, after working those to nights my only desire on Black Friday is to curl up under my blankets and tell the world to go gently caress itself. Kudos on you for trying to be extra nice to the workers on that night because holy poo poo working a Black Friday is the worst experience. It's very much a "rock and a hard place" situation with batshit insane crowds on one side and batshit insane corporate management on the other side.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Chokes McGee posted:

Sorry your fate is sealed. TO THE BLOCK!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

crazy cloud posted:

America actually works like Tinkerbell except with consumption instead of audience applause. When GWB encouraged us to go shopping after 9/11 it wasn't "haha GWB is dumb" it was more "if you fuckers spend enough money we'll grow powerful enough to deploy the gundam"

Economics is the biggest religion of all, only the gods provide tangible answers when people believe in them. (Literally the stock market is nothing but trading money for faith)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I am not, in any great sense, a spiritual man. Yet it still strikes me as something very twisted about following a day of thanks and being grateful for what you have with a weeklong orgy of mass consumerism, manufactured greed, and impulse acquisition, where crowds literally beat each other to death in the name of getting more, more, more.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Grey Fox posted:

From that one shortseller that got reamed:
Somehow it doesn't seem like the correct lesson!

gently caress everyone involved in this stock market circlejerk, but especially this guy you're talking about -- he tried a GoFundMe page because he wanted to profit off other people's misery and got bit in the rear end.

But hey, he's gonna have stops in place this time!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DemeaninDemon posted:

Sorry your fate is sealed. TO THE BLOCK!

Ironically I had to work black friday and thus didn't have to listen to my lovely aunt explain how we're living in communism.
Is there an SMBC graph where it's an upward curve and the axis are labeled "Likelihood of being first against the wall in actual communist country" over "Sincerity of belief Obama is a Marxist?"

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

Economics is the biggest religion of all, only the gods provide tangible answers when people believe in them. (Literally the stock market is nothing but trading money for faith)

Ya agreed, no sarcasm intended in the original comment :hfive:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Those numbers are usually non-indicative.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alkydere posted:

The year I saw a manager lose her poo poo was one where WalMart was doing a new deal every hour. They'd cart out a bunch of pallets, tell everyone to stand back and wait for it, give them 30 minutes of madness to destroy the pallets, clean up and pull the wreckage back before bring out new pallets. The customers repeatedly refused to move back and give the workers space to bring out the new pallets and had to be told to make space so many times the manager just snapped.

They don't do this anymore for precisely this reason, also people being thrown onto the pallet stacks by those behind them, bumrushing employees as a distraction, and tearing off the plastic to get at the items before their appointed time. Last year was a poo poo show of human cattle trying to kill themselves.

Now if it's an advertised deal, it's on sale for the entire duration, I ended up having to go to Wal-Mart for a sale item thursday night and the only real difficulty was being stuck at the register behind two women who had a small herd of children with them, picking through a shopping cart full of loose clothing with their one free arm trying to figure out which one belonged to which person.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Could you summarize the point in your link? I'm not invested enough to listen to an entire podcast.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Martin Random posted:

Could you summarize the point in your link? I'm not invested enough to listen to an entire podcast.

There's a transcript. The long and short of it, though, is that it's more or less based on a survey that compares self-reported spending on Christmas gifts last year vs. expected spending on gifts this year. And the numbers (which can often show "swings" of 30-40% increases/decreases) are usually completely unrelated to actual figures (which are usually 2-3% increases, with 4% increases on particularly good years). Barry Ritholz (who was interviewed) has been one of the loudest voices complaining about the issue, and, this year, linked to an Atlantic article on the topic which pretty much summarizes his criticisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Ho ho ho! I bring you a new thread for the new month!

• Locked thread