Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator
Holy cow, Fred Thompson prophesied the current GOP factionalism! RIP, you magnificent fortune teller, you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Has anyone been seeing anything on the Tea Partiers trying to make the Syrian refugees an issue in the next election? I met a few who are freaking out about it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Has anyone been seeing anything on the Tea Partiers trying to make the Syrian refugees an issue in the next election? I met a few who are freaking out about it.

I know a bunch of rightwingers who are really unhappy and racist about it, but I don't think they are pushing to make it an issue so much as just being psychotic on social media

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mooseontheloose posted:

First you'd have to have Syrian refugees get to the US.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

First you'd have to have Syrian refugees get to the US.

I think some are coming now. A friend's church is currently doing a donation drive to completely outfit a house for a family of refugees they have been working to get into the US.

I'm giving them a Cuisinart.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

I think some are coming now. A friend's church is currently doing a donation drive to completely outfit a house for a family of refugees they have been working to get into the US.

It's about 10,000 annually currently but the administration is upping that number slightly

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

American dream right here

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Thompson's gone, but McCain is still chugging along.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Where is George Zimmerman when you need hm?

:shittypop:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

They look like the villains from a movie about a devil-worshiping cult. Although I like Callista's clock/elephant fascinator.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Saudi Arabia has traditionally been a swing producer - they adjust output to meet price targets and cut back when demand drops.

This time opec has decided to keep up production with the goal being to drive out us shale producers. It is working, though there are some mechinations that have proped it up longer than anticipated. Same of the less financially stable members are pissed, but gently caress those guys.

It's a short term battle for market share and will end once the bottom drops out of production next year and were all enjoying $5 gas.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Unless posted:

I still find it staggering how much the USA has reduced its dependence on foreign oil since 9/11.

Isn't this because fracking? And also why the current price is low? Fracking is like some yo yo on the price of gas because prices tank when it gets online but it's too expensive then to keep doing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I believe I've heard that companies in Canada are walking away from the tar sands projects because it's now far too expensive to do that process to get oil with the current pricing. Which is good because it's so awful for the environment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HootTheOwl posted:

Isn't this because fracking? And also why the current price is low? Fracking is like some yo yo on the price of gas because prices tank when it gets online but it's too expensive then to keep doing.
Fracking is natural gas. That has no relation to oil.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Yes it's been hell in Canada for the industry. Shell just cancelled a 1000 well project. Tar sands stuff is the most expensive there is to produce.

I could go on for days about the us shale revolution but fracking allowed us to get at all those reservoirs and us production has skyrocketed as a result.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not entirely true. In pensylvania the reservoirs are all gas but texas shale is liquid rich plus gas.

There was a big move to liquid plays when gas tanked years back.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
Any word on the crybaby caucus's meeting to stomp their feet and whine about the mean old media being unfair by asking them questions at a debate? Last I heard they were fighting with each other over whose terrible debate plan should be used.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Dave Weigel posted the letter that was drafted at the meeting and will be sent to networks (but not Fox!)

A couple of interesting things is that they don't want inter-candidate questioning or reaction shots of the crowd/moderators. They also want debate halls be kept below 67 degrees, presumably so Rubio doesn't sweat through his shirt

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 2, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Jaunts posted:

Interesting is the last point: that they want debate halls be kept below 67 degrees
That's a brilliant way to discourage the reptilians from attending.

Now if they could only do something about the Bioroids....

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Epic High Five posted:

Republican Governor Mike Pence says not giving food to the unemployed will 'ennoble' them

"It's been working, so it's time to burn it down"

I love my lovely state, hopefully the enormous backlash he's been getting for gutting education and the lasting black eye the whole stupid religious freedom bill caused are enough to get him turfed out

edit - at least he's not Walker

Indiana I-80 has the worst rest areas in the country. They are worse than Texas. Indiana, fix your poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

7of7 posted:

Any word on the crybaby caucus's meeting to stomp their feet and whine about the mean old media being unfair by asking them questions at a debate? Last I heard they were fighting with each other over whose terrible debate plan should be used.

Hey, I resent that! :mad:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Mr Jaunts posted:

A couple of interesting things is that they don't want inter-candidate questioning or reaction shots of the crowd/moderators. They also want debate halls be kept below 67 degrees, presumably so Rubio doesn't sweat through his shirt

They probably saw Gowdy on C-SPAN and figured adding a glossy layer to their candidates wasn't a good look.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fracking is about wringing out sponges made of literal rocks, that includes oil too.
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/North_Dakota_and_fracking

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sharkie posted:

They look like the villains from a movie about a devil-worshiping cult. Although I like Callista's clock/elephant fascinator.

With hat game that dope, Callista needs to be at the Kentucky Derby infield each year.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Tennessee rejected the medicaid expansion because they said it would be irresponsible use of money and government excess. Now they are crying they don't get to use the money that they rejected.

The federal government is revoking $500m in funding in accordance with their rejection of the medicaid expansion per the ACA.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/columnists/frank-daniels/2015/10/31/tn-may-lose-500m-federal-health-care-funding/74887872/

Bonus: The politicians and article writers are blaming Obama for playing political games with the money.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Yeah the same thing that happened to Louisiana is going to happen in Tennessee their going to lose funding for their hospitals and have them close.

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2015/03/mid_city_er_closes.html

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Hollismason posted:

Yeah the same thing that happened to Louisiana is going to happen in Tennessee their going to lose funding for their hospitals and have them close.

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2015/03/mid_city_er_closes.html

It's very sad because these decisions to reject medicaid expansions are resulting in unnecessary deaths.

The fact that the GOP is willing to A) reject the expansion which should be a no-brainer to accept, B) make it political football and C) still have the gall to demand the free money to use for other purposes is quite wrong in my opinion.

It's a bit more sad that the majority of TN voters will probably blame Obama for it too and therefore vote even more GOP in.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

fosborb posted:

Indiana I-80 has the worst rest areas in the country. They are worse than Texas. Indiana, fix your poo poo.

Reminder that we've had a serial killer stalking our rest areas for decades and welp no one gives a poo poo, best get back to having the staties squeeze the black and browns in south Marion county on fines and fees so you don't have to raise taxes.

At least 1, I should say, since we are home to the most of the I 70 killer's victims as well, so that bastard may well be here too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Well I can tell you that I worked in Emergency Services in Baton Rouge so I'll give a quick run down of how this is just loving horrific to have a ER close in the center of the city.

Transport Times for people outside the city's center.

Okay, so say you live across the river in Baton Rouge in Port Barre and you have a Heart Attack. You had at the time with your rear end on fire ( Ambulance saying means we move like our rear end is on fire) like 8 minute transport. Each minute during a MI or Stroke counts. In fact for Stroke Victims its even more important. So now with Baton Rouge General ER closed you got no tPA nearby. The Nearest tPA is 22 minutes Our Lady of the Lake or around like 15 minutes to Earl K Long Hospital ( Prison ).

So because of that poo poo fuckery you better hope you don't suffer a stroke across the river.

This applies to all situations like oh I don't know Anaphylactic Shock , kid got stung by a bee and his airway is seizing up? Hope you don't live across the river , your child will probably die. You gotta 10 minute response time, 12 to 20 depending on the time and traffic. Sure our trucks carry epinephrine but we don't carry enough if it's super severe.

Organophosphate poisoning? You are dead. Also you live in the farm land so this is the kind of call you'd get outside of the city across the river.

Now Baton Rouge General was not a top of the line ER , that'd be Lady of the Lake but when you got minutes for a patient to live minutes count.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

Tennessee rejected the medicaid expansion because they said it would be irresponsible use of money and government excess. Now they are crying they don't get to use the money that they rejected.

The federal government is revoking $500m in funding in accordance with their rejection of the medicaid expansion per the ACA.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/columnists/frank-daniels/2015/10/31/tn-may-lose-500m-federal-health-care-funding/74887872/

Bonus: The politicians and article writers are blaming Obama for playing political games with the money.

Florida tried suing that the feds were obligated to give them the money anyways (same deal, opposition to Medicaid expansion, hospitals closing as a result), but I haven't heard any reporting in that in a while.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Florida's gonna be super hosed aren't they?

http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-debt-clocks/state-of-florida-debt-clock.html

Huh.

148 million in debt if that's to be believed.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fried Chicken posted:

Reminder that we've had a serial killer stalking our rest areas for decades and welp no one gives a poo poo, best get back to having the staties squeeze the black and browns in south Marion county on fines and fees so you don't have to raise taxes.

At least 1, I should say, since we are home to the most of the I 70 killer's victims as well, so that bastard may well be here too.

It's good to remember that, in addition to all other failures nutritional, sanitary, and architectural, Indiana rest areas are also the inspiration for a Homicide: Life on the Street two-parter.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Fried Chicken posted:

Got a link to a news story about this.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Huh.

Yeah I'm not so sure about the accuracy of this. Even in states like MN where the revenues exceed spending, there seems to be a growing debt. Interest doesn't make sense because revenue exceed spending by a significant amount

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Boon posted:

Yeah I'm not so sure about the accuracy of this. Even in states like MN where the revenues exceed spending, there seems to be a growing debt. Interest doesn't make sense because revenue exceed spending by a significant amount

States take out loans all the time, even if they can pay for them because it is cheaper to barrow. Think of it like using your credit card instead of burning your entire paycheck.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Hollismason posted:

Huh.

I love how they don't know the deficit or surplus when that's all that matters.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The US Department of Defense is finally tackling the issues that matter

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Is this really an appropriate way of spending our tax dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I miss that michael steele overlay.

I miss michael steele period.

• Locked thread