Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What's the KKK list thing regarding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah the same thing that happened to Louisiana is going to happen in Tennessee their going to lose funding for their hospitals and have them close.

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2015/03/mid_city_er_closes.html

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well I can tell you that I worked in Emergency Services in Baton Rouge so I'll give a quick run down of how this is just loving horrific to have a ER close in the center of the city.

Transport Times for people outside the city's center.

Okay, so say you live across the river in Baton Rouge in Port Barre and you have a Heart Attack. You had at the time with your rear end on fire ( Ambulance saying means we move like our rear end is on fire) like 8 minute transport. Each minute during a MI or Stroke counts. In fact for Stroke Victims its even more important. So now with Baton Rouge General ER closed you got no tPA nearby. The Nearest tPA is 22 minutes Our Lady of the Lake or around like 15 minutes to Earl K Long Hospital ( Prison ).

So because of that poo poo fuckery you better hope you don't suffer a stroke across the river.

This applies to all situations like oh I don't know Anaphylactic Shock , kid got stung by a bee and his airway is seizing up? Hope you don't live across the river , your child will probably die. You gotta 10 minute response time, 12 to 20 depending on the time and traffic. Sure our trucks carry epinephrine but we don't carry enough if it's super severe.

Organophosphate poisoning? You are dead. Also you live in the farm land so this is the kind of call you'd get outside of the city across the river.

Now Baton Rouge General was not a top of the line ER , that'd be Lady of the Lake but when you got minutes for a patient to live minutes count.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Florida's gonna be super hosed aren't they?

http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-debt-clocks/state-of-florida-debt-clock.html

Huh.

148 million in debt if that's to be believed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Reminder that we've had a serial killer stalking our rest areas for decades and welp no one gives a poo poo, best get back to having the staties squeeze the black and browns in south Marion county on fines and fees so you don't have to raise taxes.

At least 1, I should say, since we are home to the most of the I 70 killer's victims as well, so that bastard may well be here too.

Got a link to a news story about this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What happens to these Super Pacs after the elections if they have money left or do they just through it all before the Election ends?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

To be fair though Trump is not being a idiot. He's negotiating from a place of power. What he's doing is actually incredibly smart.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's no deciding anything Trump obviously has the ability to dictate to networks who only care about ratings. If you don't think his running hasn't had an effect on viewership then that is just crazy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

His only goal is to be the Primary candidate for the Republican party though and raise awareness of himself. Also apparently to gently caress Bush.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

In some States he is in others it's Carson. Trump could lose I think half his numbers and he'd still be ahead and in like 3rd.

I like Huffpost because it's a aggregate

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-national-gop-primary

Pollster Trend

Donald Trump 31.0%
Ben Carson 23.0%
Marco Rubio 8.5%
Jeb Bush 7.5%
Ted Cruz 5.5%
Carly Fiorina 3.8%
John Kasich 3.0%
Mike Huckabee 2.7%
Rand Paul 2.7%
Chris Christie 2.1%
Bobby Jindal 1.1%
Lindsey Graham 1.0%

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 2, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Goddamnit

Moved from Louisiana because of it's shitass Republican ways and it goes and elects a Democrat. WTF.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Unfortunately even having a Democratic Governor really won't help Louisiana. I mean yeah it'd be awesome but he's probably not going to pull the state out of the Death Spiral it is in.

From what I understand some of that is from rejecting the Medicaid Expansion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Has this gotten posted yet?

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/11/02/republican-tantrum-backfires-democrats-gop-presidential-debate-slot.html

quote:

Greg Sargent reported:

The Spanish-language network Telemundo is in talks with the Democratic National Committee about possibly scheduling a new candidate forum with the Dem presidential candidates, after the Republican National Committee canceled its debate on NBC News and the NBC-owned Telemundo to protest CNBC’s handling of last week’s gathering, sources familiar with ongoing discussions tell me.

If this comes to fruition, Democrats would effectively be moving into the breach created by the RNC’s decision. It would mean Democrats end up holding two debate-style events on Spanish-language networks, since they are already set to hold a Univision debate in March.

Pretty loving hilarious if true.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's just a excellent thing to happen. The Republicans not going on Telemundo and then the Democrats doing two specific debates on Telemundo and Univison.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah how does that even work. Also are these the first Spanish Speaking community debates?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Runoff is in two and a half weeks, but the polls are showing that he's got the lead over Vitter right now.

http://theadvocate.com/news/acadiana/13877163-123/polls-democrat-edwards-leads-republican

Edwards leading Vitter 54 percent to 38 percent, 52 percent to Vitter’s 32 percent, and 52 percent to 40 percent.

Each of the three had a margin of error between 3.7 percent and 4.1 percent.

This is hilarious but my mother asked about Edwards and asked if he was kin to Edwin Edwards. I told her yes. She is now voting for Edwards.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Don't lie to your mother.

They could be kin. You don't know that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Goddamn Kentucky voting Bevin in. I don't think it's hyperbole to say their decision will probably kill someone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No one cares about New Jersey they electec Chris Christie unless they collective come together and cure cancer or cancer that causes you to burst into flames or invent a cancer that causes you to burst into flame no one cares

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

It must suck to be a Republican oppo researcher against the Clintons. You're sitting on decades of stuff but you know it's all been done before or it hasn't stuck. You probably end up listening to the smallest rumors and doing world-class mental gymnastics to turn it into HILLARY SHOULD NOT BE PRESIDENT

That which is not dead can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

We'll pretty much always have it. I don't really think we're eve near the ability to have any kind of changes to the constitution in our life time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I forgot about this:

quote:

The Twenty-seventh Amendment (Amendment XXVII) to the United States Constitution prohibits any law that increases or decreases the salary of members of Congress from taking effect until the start of the next set of terms of office for Representatives. It is the most recent amendment. It was submitted by Congress to the states for ratification on September 25, 1789. The amendment became part of the United States Constitution on May 7, 1992, following a record-setting ratification period of 202 years, 7 months, and 12 days.[1][2]

I think it's the 12th? Amendment that makes the Electoral College.

The previous one to that was 1971.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 4, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Time to throw some logs onto the eternal Hillary vs. Bernie flamewar: In addition to previous claims that he's sexist, Hillary is now insinuating that Bernie is racist.

Hillary is so crazy good at throwing shade

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This will forever be the greatest interaction between children and a Presidential Candidate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/09/22/ted-cruz-told-a-3-year-old-her-world-is-on-fire-her-mom-joined-his-campaign/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

So,

In my city I've been waging a completely fake over the top write in campaign to become dictator of the city. I've spent two months talking about making rivers run with chocolate, annexing surrounding towns, deciding leash law disputes with duels etc etc etc. while at the same time asking everyone to stop name calling each other. I've been doing this on all Facebook with photoshopped signs and long rants every few days.

Last night, this got me elected to the Housing Authority in my city and I came in second for Planning Board, and got 12 votes for city council.

You can't just say this and not post a sign.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

zoux posted:

Uh did you see a sign that said dead pharoah storage outside the pyramids?

Actually there were in fact a lot of signs and hieroglyphics that said Dead Pharaoh storage outside of the Pyramids.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Or we could make voting a National holiday then hire the judges from American Idol and then everyone votes by call in after the candidates perform a live performance of their favourite music.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Holy gently caress I just realized that JEB is a acronym. He's the same as GOB.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Oh and I should also mention that I've been told not to accept the position by a city councilman.

What was the tone of thsi conversation genuinely interested

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Joementum posted:

What do these House committee chairmen all have in common?

Agriculture: Conway
Armed Services: Thornberry
Financial Services: Hensarling
Homeland Security: McCaul
Science: Smith
Rules: Sessions
Ways and Means: Brady

There are 21 permanent committees, so that's a third of the total. (There are four additional joint committees and one select committee.)

What do they all have in common , all Republicans?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Joementum posted:

Correct. Brady won the assignment today, making it seven of them chairing committees total.

But I was wrong about there being only one select committee. That's true at the moment, but there's about to be a second. Here are the list of Democrats who will serve on it, via Pelosi (she did not use the official committee name):

Wait is that the actual name of the committee?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

How do they explain that he was shot 5 times in the head and in the chest. Ugh gently caress this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Combine that with local pundit Jim Engster predicting an Edwards win (https://www.businessreport.com/article/edwards-will-win-governors-race-engster-predicts), that's a definite good sign for Edwards.

Now if Angelle endorses Edwards too, Vitter is going to be scrambling big time. However, having Dardenne and Angelle basically telling their voters that it's ok to vote for a Democrat is going to be close to game over for Vitter unless Edwards does something huge to mess it up.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get some late breaking exposes on Vitter.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Have shootings by cops increased or decreased since the 70s like is it on the actual rise or are we just exposed to it more.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Joementum posted:

There's no way to know because, for some weird reason, nobody kept statistics on it.

I recall that someone was able to get regional statistics by looking through crime reports and FOIA but that was it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Plus, see people's reactions to the notion that cops might hypothetically not be using force appropriately with the availability of contrary footage. Just imagine what it was like without cellphone cameras in most pockets.

It was pretty commmon in the 80s for people to be disappeared by the New Orleans Police Department so much that they started referring to the Bayou Sauvage as the Police Graveyard.

There's a lot of loving bodies in Bayou Sauvage.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 5, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't think that we are near the "die off" date. Isn't that by 2030?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

The race is heating up, and I'll bet Vitter is NOT happy right now.

http://theadvocate.com/news/13896377-63/louisiana-gop-chair-calls-republican

After Jay Dardenne officially endorsed John Bel Edwards, LA GOP Chairman Roger Villere and Reince Priebus called Dardenne's endorsement "an act of betrayal". Villere even called Dardenne "the Nick Saban of Louisiana politics".

I also just saw that Scott Angelle supporters are throwing a fundraiser for.....John Bel Edwards. (http://blogs.theadvocate.com/politicsblog/2015/11/05/scott-angelle-supporters-plan-pro-john-bel-edwards-fundraiser/)

I can't believe everyone's turning against Vitter so fast. I mean, I can, but still. Listening to talk radio on the way home tonight, there were people evenly split between "Dardenne did what was right for Louisiana" and "Dardenne has always been a RINO/Obama will kill us all/Worst betrayal since Benedict Arnold".

This is amazing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Aurubin posted:

This seems like a coherent assessment of the GOP, but then again that's coming from an avowed leftie. Still worth a read imo:

Days of Desperation
There’s a reason Bush, Kasich and other establishment Republicans aren’t gaining traction. Their conservatism no longer makes sense.

Please rename thread USPOL Nov: So maybe Donald Trump is on to something after all

Really good read.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

The 18 year old who stabbed four people at UC Merced left behind a detailed plan. He did it because he was angry about being kicked out of a study group. His master plan was to zip cuff students in a classroom to desks, wait for the police, and spray petroleum jelly on the ground so they would slip and fall and he would take their guns and shoot everyone.

Pictured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't think that President Obama get's enough credit for the incredibly ballsy move to go after Osama Bin Laden. Like seriously can you imagine the poo poo storm if it was a unsuccessful mission.

• Locked thread