Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I believe I've heard that companies in Canada are walking away from the tar sands projects because it's now far too expensive to do that process to get oil with the current pricing. Which is good because it's so awful for the environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Isn't this because fracking? And also why the current price is low? Fracking is like some yo yo on the price of gas because prices tank when it gets online but it's too expensive then to keep doing.
Fracking is natural gas. That has no relation to oil.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Who the hell is picking Jindal in these polls? There's no reason to support him, there's much better options in every place where he's trying to stand out. He hasn't been doing well in debates and noone is covering him. I don't get it.
I would be furious if I was working for Jeb! to see that. Jindal's barely campaigning at this point and he polls higher.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

God dammit Kentucky. Enjoy losing healthcare.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Houston LGBT ordinance is dead by a pretty wide margin. Unfortunately, the trans-phobia over goddamn bathrooms is still an effective marketing tactic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Teddybear posted:

LGBT groups don't have a ton on their plate immediately. There's enough time to get a good ol' fashioned boycott going.

Funnily enough, like Arizona, Houston has an upcoming super bowl that can be threatened.
It seems pretty clear like with things such as Prop 8, these kinds of issues are only going to be resolved in court since Congress sure isn't going to pass anything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

comes along bort posted:

he used to chair the house subcommittee on ip and internet despite proudly not knowing what email was nor ever using a computer
Pretty par for the course when it comes to Republican committee chairmen

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The goon that came up with Slenderman needs to get his lawyers going.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Of course that was at an Applebee's.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nonsense posted:

I expect the fine citizens of Missouri are not going to take this very lightly.
Yeah but now they get their precious football back

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Obama already vetoed the NDAA for the reasons mentioned, are they trying to add a bunch of garbage to it again?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SCOTUS just took up the Texas abortion case. This is one where if they (presumably) side with the state, it's going to let states make access to abortion basically impossible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The US is not going to go to war with ISIS. Just today Obama himself said they are 'contained'. Obama does not want another war under his tenure.
Well that, and he may also have to consider not dropping a conflict into Hillary's lap right before an election. Plus there are no good options regarding ISIS anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess at least it's not a GOP debate after all the insanity yesterday? I'm just afraid Hillary is going to rush headlong into Hawk mode after this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So two things here:

1. It's pretty funny that these states are saying this when they have no say over refugees. The Feds handle where people actually go. So this is only some gross cheap political scoring.

2. Obama actually did send a Declaration of War bill against ISIS to Congress earlier this year, but it was voted down by Republicans who said it was not needed since he is already authorized to attack them based on the 2001 AUMF that has been used to justify all of the drone strikes and other things barely related to Al Qaeda over the last 14 years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is the person who was nominated to be Secretary of the Army the gay man? I know Obama appointed a gay man for one of those positions but I forget which one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Paul Ryan just came out and said that the President does not need a new AUMF against ISIS, so that puts a hole in that GOP talking point

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If SCOTUS upholds those Texas restrictions, it's just going to get worse, but this time in all states. Good job America.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I think things like Facebook, Twitter, etc have just amplified what was already there

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think Lowtax could take Ted Cruz

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

Aren't a lot of these guys the Iraqi sunni we left out of the power scheme?
Yes, the current leader Al Baghdadi is one of those. It's a mutated form of that armed resistance against the US along with others from all over the planet who are drawn to ISIS' propaganda.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/u...&smtyp=cur&_r=0

so apparently trump said he saw thousands of people cheering in jersey when 9/11 happened.
It appears he's reusing that urban legend of Muslims dancing in the streets in Paterson, NJ after 9/11, which was debunked and goes around as one of those right-wing chain email sort of things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Boon posted:

So... I feel that the bill in Congress prohibiting terror watch list individuals from purchasing firearms should be a slam dunk.

Nope! Apparently the NRA is all about terrorist suspects legally purchasing firearms because due process!
I believe this week there was some Texas politician who let the facade slip for a second when he said that he was afraid the refugees would have easy access to guns since their laws are so lax there. Which I'm pretty sure is a no-no if you're getting money from the NRA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Gold down almost half from it's peak value over the last 5 years: Sound Money
Pfft, anyone smart knows you need to put ALL your money in Bitcoin. They NEVER lose value. :smuggo:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I don't know anything about Canadian higher education, but I can see it. But yes ask this is about is still continuing the Nixon divide, of stroking 40 year old white working class male hate for intellectualism and youth.

Christ I just finished reading Nixonland last week and it is depressing how almost nothing has changed in 50 years. It took me ages to get through it cause I had to close it and walk away for weeks at a time. I'm no longer looking forward to reading The Invisible Bridge since I imagine it week be much the same
The Invisible Bridge will make you just as angry

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

No one seems to blame the real estate speculators, only millenials who can't afford continuously inflated rents and mortgages.

Strange.

Almost like... Blaming the victim???
It's the same as conservatives blaming the government for loaning to poor people supposedly causing the '08 crash, instead of the big banks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Judge Posner tore up a bullshit abortion law, and although the SCOTUS won't be quite as colorful, I absolutely agree that the court isn't about to overturn Roe or Casey.

http://abovethelaw.com/2015/11/judge-posner-drops-truth-bombs-like-it-aint-no-thang/
I just wish SCOTUS would take the time to actually think about the law like this, but you know they won't. I think best-case scenario, SCOTUS limits the effect of the Texas law but upholds most of it, because Kennedy is terrible on reproductive rights.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Gee, it's not like they can use that money on things that need it or something, that'd just be like those tax and spend democrats
Can't use anything that has the tax blood of innocents on it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

JT Jag posted:

At this rate it won't be long before we start seeing Christmas decorations, fixtures and sales after Labor Day
Pretty sure I saw Christmas stuff in the back of a Home Depot in September this year. I know Walmart sets up their Christmas section in mid-Sept.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like this current SCOTUS would side with the idea that advertising=speech.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Do you really not think that, if hate speech laws were given more teeth, you wouldn't see it used to shut down anyone who criticized Israel's actions against Palestinians?
Too late, that specific scenario is already happening to a degree in academia

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

We'll never know

http://nbcnews.to/1Iqm3ny

WE'LL NEVER KNOW
NOPE, NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MENTAL ILLNESS!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

This guy kill a (white) cop and injured several others. Anyone who'd donate to a defense fund for him should be put on a terrorist watch list.
The cop being killed is probably why the GOP candidates are staying quiet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. they are gonna try to ignore this the best they can. Maybe huckabee or cruz will make a backhanded insult about PP and stuff. and this dude will go on to be a fringe hero to some in the right.
I guarantee that if only PP patients/employees died in this shooting the GOP would still blame them and cite the videos.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This feels like when that guy who shot up the Holocaust Museum was labeled a Democrat even though he cited listening to Rush and O'Reilly, so he was quickly ignored and forgotten by the Right.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It sounds like Jeb! has the same problem, where he's hemorrhaging cash but he has a ton of SuperPAC money behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Remember that the FEC has outright stated they are not going to be able to actually do anything right now about campaign finance violations since they are deadlocked between Dems and Republicans.

• Locked thread