Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mooseontheloose posted:

Has anyone been seeing anything on the Tea Partiers trying to make the Syrian refugees an issue in the next election? I met a few who are freaking out about it.

First you'd have to have Syrian refugees get to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mitt Romney posted:

The GOP's influence and power over America as a whole has only grown over time since 1994 until now (and likely until 2020 at minimum). 06-10 is the only blip in that timeline.

There was a significant recession of power from 1998 until 2002.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Petr posted:

There's no way the Democrats are a nationally-relevant party in 20 years.

The nation of Kentucky.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Joementum posted:

Currently 54-46 against both, 58-42 for I42 over I42A.

I remember when they did this for the Puerto Rico vote.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Well let's see whether San Francisco votes in a sheriff that will send illegals back to ICE (probably)

I guess first he'd have to find some residing in his county.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MaxxBot posted:

I'm not the one who is extremely passionate about a candidate who I think has no chance, that's you.

Fishmech has passion?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JT Jag posted:

Idle thought: I wonder how much, if any, damage was done to the culture of the Internet as a direct result of the Republican administration that existed for several of its formative years.

No more than what already existed due to it being primarily white men.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

foobardog posted:

This won't hurt Carson at all. I woke up to my mom posting "Well Ben Carson made the media look like fools," on Facebook.

I think he might actually have psychological issues. A delusional narcissism, but I'm not a psychologist.

I'm glad your mom is the entire GOP electorate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rollofthedice posted:

When was the longest time a presidential candidate for either party led in the polls despite not being nominated?

Hillary stuck around for quite a while in 08.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Epic High Five posted:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14078494/missouri-tigers-football-players-strike-embattled-tim-wolfe-resigns

In other Mizzou being lovely news, apparently most of the football team is on strike until the president resigns

loving with football in the deep south? The alumni would probably overlook absolutely anything BUT that. Hopefully it's effective

Edit - whoops, skipped a page and didn't see this got covered already. Oh well I guess here it is again for a new page!

So is Missouri the Deep South now because every rural area in the nation is now the South?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

evilweasel posted:

if you rebelled against the united states so you could keep slavery, you are part of the south

So, not Missouri then.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

El Disco posted:

One of the 13 stars on the confederate battle flag represents Missouri, so yes.

The Confederates had a habit of claiming more territory than they actually controlled.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

El Disco posted:

I guess Kentucky isn't in the South either.

Correct, under the previous definition.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Most of Missouri voted down secession, those in favor set up a rump government and 'seceded' but Union troops controlled the state from the get go.

There was a kinda similar process surrounding the formation of West Virginia. Officially you can't create a state from pieces of another state without that other state's consent, so the "totally legit" recognized government of Virginia formed and gave their blessing for West Virginia to become its own state.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boon posted:

Ok but chastising someone for doing something dumb has rarely had the effect you want it too

Same with thinking you know someone's "best interests" better than they do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

It'd be in my best interests to kill my neighbor and take his poo poo (if I could get away with it), but that's obviously wrong and also not something I would want to do even if I could. Just because we want people to vote for their own self interests doesn't mean that we expect them to do so in a way that's hateful and harmful.

So then the problem isn't "those idiots are voting against their self interests" but "they're voting for their self interests in a way I don't like".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

I never said otherwise, so... yes? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

There's a recurring meme here of people being tricked into voting against their own interests. I'm glad you recognize that this is false.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OAquinas posted:

Wouldn't campus be closed tomorrow anyway as its veterans' day?

In general, when there are holidays they try to append them to the weekend (so either the nearest monday or friday).

It's also quite likely that they don't take veterans' day off. My university doesn't and we are historically a military academy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yikyak is anonymous for you and me, but not for law enforcement using Stingrays (or whatever other technology that we don't know about it detail yet).

Stingrays have to be set up first.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boon posted:

I'm getting the feeling that there is a general discontent settling in with the GOPs lack of sensical policy positions and I think the sharp contrast with the Democratic fields cohesion and substance is helping to drive that.

Then again I might be projecting so who knows.

The grapevine I've heard is more or less "yeah [candidate] is pretty bad but no matter who wins we have to support them or else we'll another 8 years of the status quo". So basically another "vote against the other guy" campaign, not any sort of momentum towards a particular candidate.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

He kind of has a Lex Luthor look without the hair.

All I can see is Eisenhower.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pathetic little tramp posted:

Lol look at this melvin still using Facebook. Tsu/Twitter/Instagram (though insta is getting played out) is where it's at now, gramps.

Only old people and sports personalities use Twitter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't think I ever knew the name "James Earl Ray" in my history education.

Just as well really, because "MLK was killed by white people" is a much more poignant image than "this specific dude is Hitler for killing the blacks' only good leader".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shageletic posted:

The biggest obstacle to single payer at the state level is the massive amounts of revenue immediately needed to implement it, regardless of how the economy is doing

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/22/7427117/single-payer-vermont-shumlin

This makes instituting it at the state level, as in gaining enough support to do so, nearly impossible. Other countries that moved over to single payer were doing away with dysfunctional or non-existent health care schemes. Our system has hid its costs well enough that people will fight to keep it, and asking for additional sacrifices for even bigger benefits down the road is unrealistic at best.

This is more of an issue for small states, with larger states you begin to kick in economies of scale.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shageletic posted:

We'll see! I don't see how there won't be a need for immediate extra revenue though, regardless of how big a state is.

EDIT: There might be a drop in administrative costs and premiums for average folk under UHC, but those benefits will only occur AFTER the immediate injection of funds, which almost inevitably necessitates a higher tax burden. And higher tax burdens is the most losing issue in the post World War II era.

There will be a need, but it won't be as large of an impact (i.e., literally doubling the amount of taxes they need as in Vermont).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cheesus posted:

The Kentucky elections are barely a week behind us we still think that there's no way, zero-chance, never-in-a-million-years that the American people won't vote for Trump, Carson, or a half-empty box of cereal over Clinton/Sanders?

Correct, because Kentucky is not representative of America at large.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Winner is Jew posted:

I love living in CA.

Our 55 EV's completely wipes out the Midwest. :getin:

Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio have more EVs than California. And they're not all of the Midwest either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mdemone posted:

As far as I'm concerned Colorado should be in charge of the whole country. Legal weed already, and universal health care soon, I'd be planning my relocation right now if my career options weren't completely randomized (yay tenure-track academia).

It's pretty good for white people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theblackw0lf posted:

It explores why the GOP doesn't pay the price for it's extremism.

Oh, so it's wrong.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magres posted:

Given GOP control of the house and senate and (heavily) dominant control of state governments, why is it wrong?

Like, actual question - it's increasingly seeming like the Democrat party has the Presidency well in hand and is completely screwed everywhere else.

As the bolded shows, the only thing you've bought into is Republican propaganda.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magres posted:

So are you willing to actually discuss why you think that article is entirely off the mark? I asked because I'm actually interested, and I don't really get why you're being a dick about it.

Because it's an oft repeated mantra (especially here) that starts at a conclusion and works backwards from there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Bacon is good in split pea soup.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Interestingly enough, fish is also not considered meat as far as Kosher laws are concerned, hence why you can eat a lox and cream cheese bagel with impunity. :v:

It also doesn't fall under the normal Halal rules, or so my friend who only eats Halal certified stuff tells me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LorneReams posted:

I wonder if 60 years later people will be wondering what the gently caress we were thinking, just like normal people do today about refusing the Jewish refugees escaping Hitler and the Japanese internment. We are so goddamn retarded as a nation.

Uh, the actions of the Reagan administration during the Central American refugee crisis were much more shameful than this (and apparently forgotten, since you declined to mention it).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

Maybe it's the 6% loving with polls demographic.

Margin of error looks to be ~4.5% so that actually might be possible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Could someone tell me why it's stupid to be wary of refugees when one of the Paris bombers was disguised as a refugee?

Legitimately asking, I usually respect the opinions here but I can totally see why Americans are no longer interested in getting involved in this crisis.

One of the Paris bombers registered as a refugee using false documentation, and then went back to France using his real passport.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fishmech posted:

Massachusetts isn't against the refugees, just the Republican governor is. It's the same deal in Illinois.

Honestly it's probably the same in Idaho. Boise has been quietly accepting refugees for decades now, most of them from about as wartorn areas at the time as Syria is now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Didn't he try to do that earlier this year and the Republicans said no?

Closer to two years ago. Whenever we said we'd start funding rebels, that was only after a new AUMF was shot down by Congress.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Luigi Thirty posted:

Isn't the age of the average cable news viewer in the 60s?

Yes, Fox is in the mid 70s.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

I think you may be overstating this a bit.

USPOL Nov: A bunch of headless chickens ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm pro-accepting more refugees but outside of putting your city forward as a haven a state doesn't have much control over where the Federal government sends groups.

Obviously they're not doing something since Boise, Idaho, a city that's not only less than a quarter the size of Portland but is also in a more lily-white state, accepted more Syrian Refugees than Portland, via http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/21/us/where-syrian-refugees-are-in-the-united-states.html

• Locked thread