Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, I would run with a card or other resource system. Like I said last time it came up though, I think it would work better as a board game than as a true ttrpg.
Yeah, once you establish a pattern (whether linear or more tree-like), you're most of the way towards automating things. And with this much player investment in just learning the patterns of things, you're putting a lot of focus, both rules- and playtime-wise on just the fights.

At that point you might as well just make it a tactical combat game, with maybe a levelup system for campaign play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ImpactVector posted:

Yeah, once you establish a pattern (whether linear or more tree-like), you're most of the way towards automating things. And with this much player investment in just learning the patterns of things, you're putting a lot of focus, both rules- and playtime-wise on just the fights.

At that point you might as well just make it a tactical combat game, with maybe a levelup system for campaign play.

Well i don't think patterns are quite as important as everyone else seems to

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I have a friend who sometimes joins the RPGs I run, and she has a problem: she's not very imaginative. (She's aware of this fact.) We're playing Masks right now, and like many PbtA RPGs it asks the players to define many things about the characters and the world, but my friend has a hard time thinking up responses that aren't completely bland.

Has anyone come across anything particularly good in the way of "how to develop your RP imagination" to which I could refer her?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not to throw everything back on you but have you tried to ask better leading questions? i feel like making someone do homework to be better at rpg's is just going to turn them off. But uh maybe look into some books on improv acting?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

inklesspen posted:

Has anyone come across anything particularly good in the way of "how to develop your RP imagination" to which I could refer her?

Encourage her to consume fiction of any kind? Particular some superhero stuff I guess.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

inklesspen posted:

I have a friend who sometimes joins the RPGs I run, and she has a problem: she's not very imaginative. (She's aware of this fact.) We're playing Masks right now, and like many PbtA RPGs it asks the players to define many things about the characters and the world, but my friend has a hard time thinking up responses that aren't completely bland.

One of the things I've done with players is to have them describe scenes from fiction they enjoy. The exchange could go like this:

Zurui: "Hey, Smokin Aces sounds cool, but I haven't seen it. What's your favorite part?"
Player: "Oh, it's definitely when Chris Pine freaks out on dudes."
Z: "Like, what does he do?"
P: "Oh, he...and then...oh and then he kicks rear end.... It's loving awesome."

Or if you're looking for setting details then find out what they nerd out on and get them going on it. Then you can find out what triggers that in them and push that button at the table.

Also, I encourage new players to steal liberally. We have a sort of safe space for shorthand like that. "I want to play Jason Statham but with a wand" is a statement you can get away with at our table, as is "it's like Rivendell had a love child with the paintings on the sides of vans."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I think people assume that roleplaying is actually more creative than it is. Basically every character I've played in the last 5+ years has been an anime or video game character tweaked a bit. After a few months your character will have taken on a life of their own, but there's no shame in starting with "ok, so my guy is basically Brady from FE:A but also he's idiot" or "he's a moogle version of Lucifer from Devil is a Part-Timer" or "this character's theme is badass so I'm just gonna make something up based off that."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

Yeah I think people assume that roleplaying is actually more creative than it is. Basically every character I've played in the last 5+ years has been an anime or video game character tweaked a bit. After a few months your character will have taken on a life of their own, but there's no shame in starting with "ok, so my guy is basically Brady from FE:A but also he's idiot" or "he's a moogle version of Lucifer from Devil is a Part-Timer" or "this character's theme is badass so I'm just gonna make something up based off that."

This is something I wish more RPGs would encourage and even outright discuss in the text. I've been poring over the FFG Star Wars games lately as they've always been on my radar but my interest in Star Wars has gone up in recent months, and it would have been really helpful for the writers to have a chapter or even a big sidebar along the lines of "So You Want To Be Like This Character From The Movies," especially when the choices aren't always obvious even to people who've been playing RPGs for a while.

Like, in Edge of the Empire one of the careers is "Bounty Hunter" which seems self-explanatory, but everyone has to pick a specialization within their career as well, and the three Bounty Hunter specializations are Assassin, Gadgeteer, and Survivalist. So which one of those do you pick if your goal is "well it'd be cool to make a character like Boba Fett"? Would "Gadgeteer" be the first thing that comes to mind when you think about Boba Fett? Because it turns out that "Gadgeteer" is FFG code-speak for "guy that's got sweet custom guns and armor and is also generally good at fighting," so that's the closest of the options, but do they spell this out anywhere to make it easy on anyone? They sure don't.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seriously, creativity doesn't come from character concepts, it comes from what you do with that character concept. Shamelessly stealing cool poo poo from elsewhere is no sin.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Hah I need to watch devil is a part timer then.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is there a TG thread where you just post cool ideas for games/settings?

For example, a game set in a town with supernatural/paranormal stuff going on and you play as high school "investigators" using water guns and shaken up soda cans as weapons.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Hah I need to watch devil is a part timer then.

It's pretty good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Countblanc posted:

Yeah I think people assume that roleplaying is actually more creative than it is. Basically every character I've played in the last 5+ years has been an anime or video game character tweaked a bit.
I still need to make a 4e muscle sorcerer modeled off Armstrong.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

goodness posted:

Is there a TG thread where you just post cool ideas for games/settings?

For example, a game set in a town with supernatural/paranormal stuff going on and you play as high school "investigators" using water guns and shaken up soda cans as weapons.

I think there used to be, it had the awesome idea where undead came about from sound, so there were these huge tombs where monks safeguarded it with a vow of silence.

Be a cool thread to start up again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

This is something I wish more RPGs would encourage and even outright discuss in the text. I've been poring over the FFG Star Wars games lately as they've always been on my radar but my interest in Star Wars has gone up in recent months, and it would have been really helpful for the writers to have a chapter or even a big sidebar along the lines of "So You Want To Be Like This Character From The Movies," especially when the choices aren't always obvious even to people who've been playing RPGs for a while.

Like, in Edge of the Empire one of the careers is "Bounty Hunter" which seems self-explanatory, but everyone has to pick a specialization within their career as well, and the three Bounty Hunter specializations are Assassin, Gadgeteer, and Survivalist. So which one of those do you pick if your goal is "well it'd be cool to make a character like Boba Fett"? Would "Gadgeteer" be the first thing that comes to mind when you think about Boba Fett? Because it turns out that "Gadgeteer" is FFG code-speak for "guy that's got sweet custom guns and armor and is also generally good at fighting," so that's the closest of the options, but do they spell this out anywhere to make it easy on anyone? They sure don't.

Monster of the Week and Urban Shadows are both really good about this; they list out what the common inspirations are for each playbook, even the ones that are "obvious".

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
im looking at the secret santa thread and I'm wondering why giving Games Workshop is such a terrible thing. What did they do to become hitler this time?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
They repeatedly make dumb, usually customer-unfriendly decisions and their poo poo costs too much. Like most things, goons pick up the catchphrase and run it into the ground.

Still, don't give them money.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
From a pure practicality standpoint there isn't much you could buy from Games Workshop that falls within the suggested $30 price range anyway.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Games Workshop may be the flat-out worst industry company, just on business practices alone. Say what you will about the bigots, liars, and narcissists in the industry, even they usually don't have the heartless contempt GW has for its customers.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Someone in Games posted a thread about a game that's a mix of video and in-person tabletop. It seemed like the kind of thing Trad Games would be interested in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Doodmons posted:

Overall, would recommend.

Yawgmoth posted:

This. Back when I lived in Michigan, my friends and I would start playing at about noon on saturday and finish around midnight, with a break in the middle to get dinner. You get so much more involved with longer sessions just by dint of having a smaller % of the session time involved with getting people sat down and mentally prepped.

gnapo posted:

I've done something like this recently as well over a weekend. Me and another GM both did two six hour sessions alternating. We had two concurrent stories that interacted with each other. This was pretty novel and great fun, also distributing the load of preparation was appreciated from both of us. It wasn't strait 24 consecutive hours, we streched it out over two days. I imagine staying awake that long is bad for concentration and sleep scedule.

Thank you! Now the wheels are turning and I'm thinking about doing something like finishing a whole adventure module in one go.

As a follow-up to this, I did manage to pull it off yesterday, running a 6-hour session to do 4th Ed D&D's The Slaying Stone in one go. It went swimmingly! I probably couldn't do that more than once a month, but I'm definitely going to try again.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

gnome7 posted:

Option 3: Give monsters multiple patterns, and the GM chooses one to use each time a new round rolls around. If each monster has 3-5 different attacks the players need to learn, that'll give the GM enough choice to decide which pattern is best right now, while still giving the monsters enough predictability that the players can learn their moves and respond appropriately to any given pattern. Something like this for a very aggressive owlbear, maybe:

Claw Rush: Quick Attack, Quick Attack, Quick Attack,Vulnerable.

Leaping Attack: Hunker Down, Move to any space and attack everyone adjacent, Rest

Heavy Smash: Rest, Roar, Heavy Attack

Rending Claws: Quick Attack + Grab, Heavy Attack vs Grabbed target, Roar

And the exact values of those attacks and abilities could either be defined in the pattern itself in more depth, or written out in the owlbear's stats and the patterns could be re-used among different monsters.

How long do you see a round taking for a game like this? In a computer game, this is fine because your "turn" is literally 1 second while you press a button, and then the next second you are pressing another button, and your teammates are all going at the same time as you. You can see a whole sequence of moves in 30 seconds and find repeating patterns in just a couple of minutes.

Tabletop play is just not that fast. Even with very simple decisions and everyone playing very quickly, I can't see one time around the table with everyone choosing and announcing their move taking less than a minute, and a full sequence of 4 moves will be at least 5 minutes. So to see each pattern once takes 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes, the players will have taken 16 actions each and presumably most of those actions did gently caress-all except keep them from getting hit since they didn't know the pattern. To make a system like this work, getting the pacing right is going to be a huge hurdle. If you can get past that, it'd be great. 30 minutes is not unreasonable for a combat, but everything has to be very streamlined to allow a DM and 5 players to get all their moves decided, announced, and resolved that quickly.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jimbozig posted:

How long do you see a round taking for a game like this? In a computer game, this is fine because your "turn" is literally 1 second while you press a button, and then the next second you are pressing another button, and your teammates are all going at the same time as you. You can see a whole sequence of moves in 30 seconds and find repeating patterns in just a couple of minutes.

Tabletop play is just not that fast. Even with very simple decisions and everyone playing very quickly, I can't see one time around the table with everyone choosing and announcing their move taking less than a minute, and a full sequence of 4 moves will be at least 5 minutes. So to see each pattern once takes 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes, the players will have taken 16 actions each and presumably most of those actions did gently caress-all except keep them from getting hit since they didn't know the pattern. To make a system like this work, getting the pacing right is going to be a huge hurdle. If you can get past that, it'd be great. 30 minutes is not unreasonable for a combat, but everything has to be very streamlined to allow a DM and 5 players to get all their moves decided, announced, and resolved that quickly.

You're right, it absolutely would not work if each of those actions was a full round. The idea I had is something like:

Owlbear announced CLAW RUSH - a 4 Action pattern.

Players respond by playing 4 Actions face down, with Actions being a single thing like Quick Attack, Heavy Attack, Guard, Move, Use Item, whatever.

The pattern would start with everyone revealing their first action, then resolving all those actions in priority order (Guarding goes first, Quick Attacks next, or whatever). Once they're all resolved, everyone reveals their second actions, and then they repeat this down the line.

Once all 4 actions have been resolved, everyone picks up their card, Owlbear announces a new attack pattern, and everyone plays down their cards to try to respond to it. Repeat until the owlbear has thrashed them or they've managed to defeat it.

So I'd expect each round to take less than 10 minutes: 2-5 minutes of everyone deciding how they will react to this next attack, then 1-3 minutes of just resolving what everyone did. I'd expect resolution to be pretty quick since there's not a lot of choices after you flip up all the cards. Of course, it'll take longer with more players, and the game might just fall apart with too many players all in at once, with the game's emphasis on hunting down a single large monster at once.

That said, all of that is a thing I've started to actually write and make and will probably publish as a quick game jam like I did with Law's Out at basically this exact same time last year.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So the mod star was passed to Facts Are Useless for finding the Rowdy Trout we don't know why.

Explanations?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Helical Nightmares posted:

So the mod star was passed to Facts Are Useless for finding the Rowdy Trout we don't know why.

Explanations?

Penance for his many sins.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Explanations?

We played Carcassonne for it and Facts got all the monasteries. :argh:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I remember FAU chanting "no mods no masters" alongside the rest of us in BWF when winson got the star, how shameful.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Congrats FAU
your doom ed

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ettin posted:

We played Carcassonne for it and Facts got all the monasteries. :argh:

This is the trading sheep for clay and wood game right? Mod transferances must be deathmatches :colbert:

Also Ettin you lost your star for a few minutes now it's back what's going on?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This is the trading sheep for clay and wood game right? Mod transferances must be deathmatches :colbert:

No you're thinking of Settlers of Catan. Carcassonne is a tile placement game with meeples.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Explanations?

But what happens to Ettin's nefarious RPG destroying SJW Illuminati plots?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Facts offered a rematch and I chose Munchkin.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ettin posted:

Wow, vindictive much?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ettin posted:

you should be demodded just for joking about playing that game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Congrats FAU
your doom ed
I'm not worried. After all, I'm not Ed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ettin posted:

I'm absorbing TG into my moderating domains as well. Soon, I will be the All-Mod.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Your avatar looks different, Zorak.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm absorbing TG into my moderating domains as well. Soon, I will be the All-Mod.

I'll have to destroy you then.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Played a one-shot of escaping paradise, or something like that. It was going, likely, as it was meant to be played at first. Hell, I almost died to a gangster with a bat. That is, until I realized my power that allows me to swap bodies with animals would allow me to swap bodies with a tiger. A quick trip to the Zoo and I was a murder machine. That and the GM rolling so poorly the city lost access to all its stats for the session lead to it becoming a slaughter.

By the end, we all finished our unfinished business and would have nuked the city before leaving if it wasn't for the fact one player's sister wasn't immortal (a conceit of the game) and, therefore, would have not survived the blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Please tell us the horrible secrets hidden in the mods only forum!

• Locked thread