Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

With "The Great Pumpkin" having just passed earth

and scientists only having noticed it 21 days ago, what could humanity actually do if there was a comet heading towards earth, certain to destroy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Giant baseball bat, OP.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

the illuminati would have already destroyed it from their base on the dark side of the moon

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Bruce WIllis obv

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Ask Vegeta or Green Lantern for help

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

No stopping progress.

Fine. Love? Love. Whatever.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
ya cant stop it, op

ya just gotta smile and run with it

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
Blow a heap of cash sending a rover to Mars.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a comet is a good guy with a comet

sout
Apr 24, 2014

We don't have comets in the UK and comet crime is really low :colbert:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if the russians, americans and chinese put their resources and manpower together we'd already be mining asteroids in space for precious space minerals

instead you clowns are spening monies on bombing syrians and stuff

cmon son

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

sout posted:

We don't have comets in the UK and comet crime is really low :colbert:

Yeah but what about all the asteroids? Asteroid crime is huge, I mean everyone has an asteroid in their kitchen

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Zzulu posted:

if the russians, americans and chinese put their resources and manpower together we'd already be mining asteroids in space for precious space minerals

instead you clowns are spening monies on bombing syrians and stuff

cmon son
eat the rich etc

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Starkk posted:

Yeah but what about all the asteroids? Asteroid crime is huge, I mean everyone has an asteroid in their kitchen

if we make asteroids illegal then people will start murdering with tektites

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

VectorSigma posted:

if we make asteroids illegal then people will start murdering with tektites

We should build a wall around the earth to keep the tektites out is the answer

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Wow, this is why we need feminism, christ, no slut shaming dude, wtf.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Starkk posted:

Wow, this is why we need feminism, christ, no slut shaming dude, wtf.

It's a mutual relationship, she just likes it when he talks dirty.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

It's a mutual relationship, she just likes it when he talks dirty.

hey if its consensual than i'm ok with it, no kink shaming here

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
We should grab the next passing rock and pull it into orbit around the moon, mine it hollow and fill the hole full of nukes and rocket engines so that we can shoot it at the next one.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Starkk posted:

We should build a wall around the earth to keep the tektites out is the answer

the earth kills millions of people every year i suppose we should stop the earth too huh

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

VectorSigma posted:

the earth kills millions of people every year i suppose we should stop the earth too huh

while we are at it we should nuke the sun, i mean ever hear of a little thing called melanoma???

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
You get out of the way, in other words evacuate the areas where it's projected to hit. There's nothing you can do unless it's detected much earlier than this. If you do have time there's several possible ways to to deflect them (nukes, gravity tractor, etc.). None of them really seek to destroy it so much as nudge it a little bit out of the way. If it's big enough to be a threat it's big enough to survive a nuke or three.

If it was one of the really big comets, not just some piddly asteroid, you probably couldn't do much anything except do your best to survive on post-comet Earth. There's a lot of extinction-event level stuff out there but stuff that could actually end life on Earth is incredibly rare because it's been bouncing around for billions of years and if it was going to hit something it typically already has.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Elukka posted:

You get out of the way, in other words evacuate the areas where it's projected to hit. There's nothing you can do unless it's detected much earlier than this. If you do have time there's several possible ways to to deflect them (nukes, gravity tractor, etc.). None of them really seek to destroy it so much as nudge it a little bit out of the way. If it's big enough to be a threat it's big enough to survive a nuke or three.

If it was one of the really big comets, not just some piddly asteroid, you probably couldn't do much anything except try to survive on post-comet Earth.

You sound like a sniveling canadian, just step aside and let americans handle this

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Starkk posted:

while we are at it we should nuke the sun, i mean ever hear of a little thing called melanoma???

I feel like there's bound to be a way to turn that black hole in the center of the galaxy up a notch or two and send the whole Milky Way spinning down a cosmic drain.

Dedicating our civilization to that and also some sort of self-repairing automated rocket to deliver it would be the ultimate human achievement.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

I feel like there's bound to be a way to turn that black hole in the center of the galaxy up a notch or two and send the whole Milky Way spinning down a cosmic drain.

Dedicating our civilization to that and also some sort of self-repairing automated rocket to deliver it would be the ultimate human achievement.

yeah i'm with you, gently caress everyone and everything

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

tell him there's free healthcare on mars

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

#blackholesmatter

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Just just gotta send Bruce Willis towards it and things will work themselves out

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

In all honesty I don't think anyone's ever tried, you know... just talking to the comet. Maybe it's lonely and is looking for friends.

And then while it's distracted we nuke the poo poo out of that fucker :911:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

VectorSigma posted:

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a comet is a good guy with a comet

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

the good news is that you will probably be long dead by a few million years before it happens op

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

the good news is that you will probably be long dead by a few million years before it happens op

Not if it's that horrible kind of comet that raises everyone from the dead.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Tell it we don't have space for more immigrants

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

everyone uppercut at the same time

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
we need to send a team of rowdy oil drillers to drill a big ol hole in it and explode it up from the inside but at the end bruce willis dies and i marry his beautiful daighter
e: poo poo beaten like a rented mule

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

Gay vulcans with big space dicks that gently caress and suck constantly forever at maximum warp

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
You need to be more aware and accepting of astrological culture OP

I bet comets are really nice and have great food if you only got to know them.

You know we were "heading towards" Earth at one point to.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Tow it into the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man itt rhe op (me) learns a lot about space racism, spacism, if you will

• Locked thread