Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hate Speech: legal or not?
I'm from America and it should be legal.
From America, illegal.
Other first world country, it should be legal.
Other first world country, illegal.
Developing country, keep it legal.
Developing country, illegal.
View Results

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i think i should be able to say what i want when i want without fear of reprisal, as is my right as a white man in america. thanks, obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ductonius posted:

Truly the most :911: poster.

So, your lovely thread is nothing more than a "come at me, bro"? That you can't even bring yourself to justify your own biases shows you're not looking for a discussion. "I'm right, you're wrong. No, gently caress you!" in essence.

You're the one who wants hate speech to be called free speech. The burden of proof is on you. You see how lovely debates get when you just assume you're right without a hint of self-criticality? It's like we've replicated the entierty of American political dialouge in less than one page.

i think youll find that is you who has to prove that i am biased at all, and that america is not truly the land of freedom to call for the death of minorities

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

As a non-american I will happily describe the primary function of government to be censorship. The entire reason we have a government is because it exists to say that some things aren't allowed. It says dictatorship isn't allowed, it says murder isn't allowed, it's supposed to say that letting people die when we can afford to feed and house them isn't allowed. And sometimes it says that verbally abusing people and trying to incite violence against people isn't allowed.

A government exists to prevent members of its society from acting to destroy the cumulative benefits of that society, so it necessarily must pursue unity within that society first and foremost.

People who act or attempt to incite disunity to the detriment of others are antisocial and censorship is the prudent response. Either of actions, or sometimes, of words.

spoken like a true america-hating communazi

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paranoid randroid posted:

thats, ahhh, some fuckin fresh meat hes cutting there

with a real sharp knife, which is exactly the same thing as a gun, which those communist pussy gaylords want to ban

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i think you'll find the best way to curb hate speech is to give everyone a fully automatic firearm, because an armed society is a polite society

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
speech tax? not on my watch, obamao, my speech is FREE

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mavric posted:

Freedom of speech is probably overwhelmingly a good idea, but when we have got to the point of protecting the rights of rabid anti-abortion protestors to harass innocent patients trying to receive what should be a private decision (also another constitutional right! But hey its okay to poo poo on that one right?) then I think we might have gone a step too far in the wrong direction. I don't know, it seems the people who scream the most about free speech just want to use it to harass people unlimitedly all while going "I"M NOT TOUCHING YOU HA HA NOW BURN IN HELL FOREEVVERR!"

So yes, I guess hate speech should be protected, but the lines between "innocent" (lol?) hate talk'in are so blurred with straight up harassment that it's kinda ignorant to pretend that society only benefits from it without exception.

please show me the amendment that guarantees the right to murder defenseless babies, censorailure

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharkie posted:

Oh no, not being able to leave comments on a site sounds awful, have any particularly egregious examples?

Also pretty sure comments sections aren't considered protected speech much like I can be banned from the forums for posting about how I think gays are really pieces of Dracula sent to take the world over for the lizard people and it isn't censorship

Thanks Obama

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I can't scream about the Social Justice menace in the comments of an article about a fifth grade basketball tournament the horror

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i'm not confident in your ability to accurately judge substantial content or the relative merit of opinions

I mean look at his post history

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DeusExMachinima posted:

I made the mandatory trigger warning joke in the OP but I swear to Christ if you fuckers make this all about gamergate I will lock this thread and push it in the lake. Actual issues that matter please.

Stop censoring you hitler

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rollofthedice posted:

You know what natetimm, you're right. Next time I see "fcuk you you pinko bastard, I hope yuo die in a trench like all the other jwes" I'll be sure to remember not to be hateful, and definitely not to be a tool.

How about you stop hating Mexicans and eat a taco

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Does something really voluntarily fall out of popularity when the only people who no longer like it are the thin-skinned pseudo journalists writing the articles?

Nobody has ever lamented the trash fire that is comments section before

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

He posted in the comments section of a website.

which has rules and bans bitter weirdos

natetimm posted:

When you're in the minority and out of power, the Bill of Rights is a sacred document and worthy of worship that must be obeyed. When you're in the majority and in power, it's an inconvenient speed bump to finalizing the defeat of your enemies. It's working exactly the way it's supposed to.

lmao and what minority are you in natetimm

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

It doesn't keep me up at night, but I certainly think it's being done so the writers for those sites can present their views without disagreement.

my model girlfriend keeps me up at night if you know what i mean, but i certainly think you're insane

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Literally The Worst posted:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

I think the basic human rights of individuals, including free speech, should trump the interests of institutions.

i hate to break this to you but

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Literally The Worst posted:

quoting this until i get an answer

preemptive lolin at him ging "i never said i was" despite that being the clear implication

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

That statement was a direct response to something another person said, not a declaration of my minority status. There's no mistaking the fact that every time either the right or the left get into power, the Bill of Rights becomes an obstacle to them, and the majority/minority statement I made was in reference to being in the political majority or minority, not some identity politics bullshit.

glad i loled preemptively

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

You are a shining example of a bad faith poster who boils every person with an opposing viewpoint down into some sort of caricature you've taught yourself to intensely hate. Also, anyone who regularly posts in D&D accusing someone of being high on their own farts is projecting all over the motherfuckin' place.

Natetimm stop talking to yourself

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

The point of hate speech laws is to dress up authoritarian actions as being for your own good.

I think this is your subjective take and not objective reality

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Badger of Basra posted:

What is natetimm's wondrous policy for protecting minority groups from hate speech?

vouchers for thicker (and whiter) skin

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

there's no such thing as emotional harm if you're autistic. checkmate, feelings havers

i wish :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Think of the children!

wow go gently caress yourself crabman

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
natetimm for someone who screams about fee-fees you sure do make some retarded rear end arguments from emotion that aren't actually based in reality

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

The very root of that argument is that bad ideas should be banned from public discourse. Nevermind the fact that freedom of speech and public discourse is how many of these oppressed groups managed to engineer their upswing, let's neuter these tools as soon as we get the chance!

yes you're right saying "niggers are soulless beings shaped from the mud and given an unholy semblance of life by satan himself" is exactly the same as arguing for equal rights

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

7c Nickel posted:

Hey natetimm, do you remember that time you argued yourself into a corner where it would be "evil" for Walmart to refuse to stock someones collection of drawn child rape fantasies?

P.S. You are a monstrously mutated clownfish in human form.

no, do tell

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Hahaha, this is such a transparently bad gotcha.

dogg you literally responded to "what about lgbt teens who commit suicide every year" with 'think of the children'

you got yourself

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Because it's a transparent appeal to emotion designed to make anyone who has an opposing opinion look bad. It's a cheap tactic using dead kids to argue a point and I treated it exactly as it should have been treated.

no its an actual, visible effect of hate speech that you should consider, and instead you just made a jackoff motion while continuing to talk about how restricting speech is actually bad for minorities

gently caress off, twit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Again, covered by harassment laws. The teens you're linking are already victims of crimes. Making it extra more illegal is going to do what, exactly? If anything, the advocating should be for stricter enforcement of what we already have on the books.

maybe if we punish people, for treating minorities like poo poo until they kill themselves, specifically because they're minorities, we can finally establish that that poo poo is not acceptable in america

just a ~crazy thought~

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

How is making it illegal for idiots to post poo poo on the internet going to stop teens from being bullied and killing themselves when the bullying they are experiencing is already illegal? What is happening is already a crime. Using the faces of dead children to try and enact authoritarian bullshit is way more disgusting than any sort of ambivalence I've displayed to being beaten over the head with it.

because it doesn't just happen on the internet you colossal dipshit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Hate speech laws aren't going to stop teens and kids from bullying each other.

you're an idiot

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Kids and teens bullying each other to suicide extends beyond hate speech, and making it a hate speech issue is capitalizing politically on the deaths of people to make it about your own personal, pet issue.

or perhaps its that hate speech is part of that issue that people wish to curb because it specifically affects those who are most vulnerable

not that you give a poo poo you ignorant gently caress

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Maybe writing laws to put adults in jail over stupid poo poo kids with undeveloped brains do is bad policy.

lmao

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

it's almost like natetimm is a congenitally retarded person who has a habit of using words incorrectly and is terrified of authoritarian feminism lurking around every corner

this is why he is so vocally resistant to the idea of people not having a platform to screech idiocy in public

natetimm what is your exact definition of a comments section

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Istvun posted:

Don't hate crime laws in the US just increase criminal penalties for illegal behavior anyways?

literally yes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Small Frozen Thing posted:

This thread has certainly been enlightening.

Nah we already knew what a shitheel noted gator natetimm was

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

you are a gigantic dumbass if you think this is true. when was the last time a church in the states silenced critics through civil suits?

scientology still exists and is a religion according to the irs

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Sort of like in this thread where people post pictures of dead teenagers who didn't even kill themselves over hate speech and then tut-tut when I'm not appropriately devastated.

except for the ones who did you colossal twit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

It's cute you have this villain persona built up for me in your head. I guess this is the mental justification people without a clue have to go through to assure themselves they're a good person. I'm sorry I didn't provide the correct progressive signalling when someone tried to beat me over the head with dead kids barely related to the issue at hand to win an argument on the internet.

except for the kid who was the target of hate speech you mean

but i guess it's not hate speech to poo poo on someone for being trans as long as everyone involved is a teenager

• Locked thread