Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Check out Sergei Plotnikov's shot blocking technique

Also Carey Price is out for a week, Columbus and Anaheim are still terrible, and New Jersey is somehow 6-4-1. And the Leafs didn't give Phil a video tribute because they're god damned CLASSLESS.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Nice Halloween costume, who was he trying to be?

e:

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 1, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

I have a good picture for the OP.

Well done!

A Ducks win tonight, and 4 goals to boot. That's almost half what they scored all of October.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Meanwhile Montreal has a +26 including scoring 50 goals in 13 games. I'd say that type of scoring is unsustainable. Also they are at 47.9% Corsi in close situations, so maybe this team is the exact same as last year's?

haha that's even worse than the Penguins.

The Canadiens might be able to keep winning because Carey Price is Jesus but I'm pretty sure MAF is gonna fall apart under this workload at some point and then things will get ugly for the Pens unless Crosby decides to start playing hockey again.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

MDZ-Streit
Schultz-Schenn
Manning-Gudas :gonk:

What's up with Voracek? He's in Sidney Crosby territory with his production.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You know the NHL has a scoring problem when Maf and Reto Berra have 940 save percentages

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 2, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

He's not shooting the puck. He holds it for too long and then tries to force passes. It's all mental.

Ah so he's not just producing like Crosby he's also playing like him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Similarly Crosby's averaging half a shot less per game than his career average, which at 11 games is essentially a rounding error. He's not shooting any more or less than he ever has.

His stats are a little inflated by a 9 shot game he had where he decided to say gently caress it and shoot with abandon. But yeah he's actually not shooting all that much less than he ever has. It's just that his stupid passes have a magnifying glass on them now with the lack of production he's experiencing.

I don't know what his PDO is but it seems like he's had some terrible luck too. Absolute robbery by goalies, sticks exploding when he's in good shooting position, etc.

I'm sure he'll come around when the powerplay does, though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Blackhawks roster full of no-names manages to break the Kings streak, way to go whoever you kids are.

Though it is odd to watch Svedberg slowly become not bad. I was ready to write him off after game 1. He still isn't "good" but he's getting a lot of ice.

Yeah those kids Toews and Kane were really somethin tonight

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I understand in principle why he's doing it, but is that something that he needs to be learning at 18? There's a lot of potential for a player to be hurt on the PK, especially when they're not yet fully physically mature. He's a decent defensive player, but is it really beneficial to have him lying down at blocking shots at this stage of his career? Let him focus on offence and becoming an all world offensive threat, then have him round out his game. Did Crosby PK in his rookie season? Surely the best thing for his development is to give him a bunch of favourable zone starts against weaker opposition and let him run hog wild on goaltenders. I'm not sure what PKing does to help him at this point. It's not like it's ever going to be something he'll be widely known for or called upon to do that frequently.

Crosby averaged about 38 seconds a game on the pk his rookie year, so no, not a whole lot.

PK or not I think the type of injury Mcdavid suffered was inevitable with his style of play. Crosby had the same thing happen to him in his third year. He drove the net super hard and flew into the boards. The difference is Sid suffered a high ankle sprain, but it could have just as easily been his shoulder.

The problem is when you're that ridiculously fast and you drive the net with that kind of abandon you're going to eventually get rocketed into the corner either because of a trip or a push or whatever the case might be. Crosby adjusted his style a bit and doesn't drive the net as recklessly as he did his first few years any more.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You crazy bastards really pay 200$ just so you can have a fight strap on your jersey and slightly better stitching?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like this Eric Fehr guy

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

man that's the last time I listen to Pens fans complain about anything "Oh our team is so terrible, our coach sucks, we're going to be so bad this year fire everyone oh look we're 8-4 on the season which is barely worse than the Caps who everyone thinks have had a real good start" :rolleyes:

I dislike the national anthem before sporting events in general. It's dumb

I'm sure the Pens' success is quite sustainable with them being 24th in corsi close and Fleury having like a 940 save percentage.

e: Having said that they've looked pretty good the past two games at least. They controlled play and actually scored goals! It was against Vancouver and Toronto though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
As funny as that Maf play was I don't think him tarding out to get that puck was a terrible idea. Hansen was going to have a clear break.

The problem is in typical Maf fashion Fleury dove out at the puck but failed to clear it out of the zone which lead to that amusing picture.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I feel like you have to actively try to assemble a defense as bad as the Flyers have.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Alex Ovechkin at right wing, centered by Jay Beagle and flanked by Joey Crabb

A part of me has given up on ever expecting my coaches to make good personnel decisions. You just hope whatever coach you have at least limits the bad ones.

Part of the blame has to be on the incredibly itchy trigger fingers GMs and Owners have. Of course coaches are going to play vets over young players when the mandate is win or get the gently caress out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Even if he is innocent of rape he still punched a cab driver over a nickel or whatever the gently caress so he's still an rear end in a top hat

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Ryan Strome got sent to Bridgeport lol. Jack Capuano sure has a good track record at developing young talented players

What the hell? He had 50 points last season.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mage_Boy posted:

Post game interview, Johnston said Dupuis tests came back negative for clots. No idea what is actually wrong with him then, but they are keeping him out and sending him back to Pittsburgh.

They are going to keep sending him out until he dies aren't they.

Pens keep winning but boy is their style of hockey hilariously boring. I don't mind as long as the wins keep piling up though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

http://tv.aftonbladet.se/abtv/articles/97417

Peter Forsberg puts on makeup to screw with a beer league team.

That's pretty awesome. I kinda want to see Kovalev do this.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Johnston is just killing me with this snooze fest ineffective hockey. He can't get fired fast enough.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

St. Dogbert posted:

In both cases, it seems that coaching is to blame.

Good thing I read a quote by Rutherford saying it's not the system and that Sid just needs to play better.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Ovechkin completely remade his game.

Did he? I feel like that's the narrative surrounding him but I half wonder if it was less him reinventing himself and more the Caps putting a non moronic coach back in charge of the team that spurred his revival.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Brandon Sutter has now gone six games without a point and has averaged about 16 minutes a night during that stretch. Brandon Sutter sucks out of control. This is why you don't sign players to lucrative extensions before they play a game for you.

I've been pretty happy with Bonino. He hasn't scored that much (though perfectly adequately for a 3c) but unlike Sutter he's good at winning board battles and unlike Sutter he has great vision.

If Sid wasn't playing like such poo poo this would be my favorite group of Pens centers in a while because Matt Cullen has been fantastic as well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pascal Dupuis is practicing again. Hopefully the Penguins aren't going to kill him by letting him play.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Ryan Strome is super loving pissed that he's in Bridgeport right now. Apparently he's had a history of temper tantrums including a locker room tirade during which "things were thrown" when he was benched in a game last year. I doubt anything will come of it when the Isles come to their senses and bring him back up, but if he's down there for an extended period of time, it might be something worth monitoring. It would be very Islanders for them to alienate their best young non-Tavares forward for god knows what reason.

Sending him down is one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen. The guy had 50 loving points last year! He's not only proven he's an NHLer he's proven he's a good NHLer.

I'd be pissed if I were him and his agent.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Hey Sid, try to score okay?

Wow thanks Coach. I didn't even think of that.

Hey Sid, try to score *gives him Kunitz and Dupuis as linemates, makes him play in front of Scuderi, stares vacantly into space*

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

my theory on crosby is that he's going to have a bad year but eventually bounce back, kind of like when ovechkin was "only" a 30 goal scorer for a while before he started clowning on everyone again

It's certainly possible that Crosby is just randomly declining but I'm pretty sure it's just Mike Johnston's system. They play very controlled with everything they do, which means the Penguins rarely ever generate legitimate rush opportunities.

I can count on one hand the amount of 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 chances Crosby has managed this year. The Pens system is not conducive to them. That hurts Crosby a ton because he's the best rush player in the league. I think it's also hurting Kessel.

Malkin doesn't seem to get hurt as much by it because his game is to come deep into the zone and then take the puck all the way up the ice himself which works fine in this system. Sid is more about catching defenses off guard with his quick acceleration. He doesn't have the hands and size to bull through defenders like Malkin can.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

He succeeds enough that they won't fire him any time soon, but bad enough they won't really achieve anything. He's great.

It's more a testament to the roster and Maf than anything. They're talented enough that they could win their fair share even with Edzo coaching.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Buff owns

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Why would the Sharks trade Marleau this early? They're not out of it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

That's delightful

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 12, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I didn't see the game, but it's nice to see the Pens managed to defeat the third period turtle the other team always suffocates us with.

Or maybe they just lulled the Habs to sleep with that hilarious 1 shot effort in the 2nd.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've been watching and playing this here sport for 20 years and I like 3 on 3 ot. It's entertaining, which hockey is meant to be.

Sorry your big gay team sucks when they can't just sit there trapping and clogging up the whole ice surface.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope they shrink goalie pads to 80s levels, make the nets bigger, and start calling a poo poo ton of penalties again. And ban the butterfly. The 80's was peak hockey.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

pads back in the 80's early 90's were pretty big, it's just that goalie technique was loving terrible

They were heavier and shittier and got water logged easily and weren't optimized for the butterfly like modern goalie pads are.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

The goalie options are gonna be pretty drat bad for the Young Gunz

Everyone says that but there's Hellebuyck, Murray, Gibson, Subban. People underestimate how good AHL goalies are, and these guys are future NHL goalies.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I was surprised at how bad the Flyers forwards were last night. Like I know their defense is a pile of doo doo, but their bottom 6 was terrible and while Giroux and Vorachek has some chances last night the rest of the top 6 just looks really bad.

The Pens have the same problem, really. It's hard to score goals and keep sustained pressure when your d is poo poo. Good forwards can absolutely be neutered by an ineffective breakout.

To me any panic about Voracek and Giroux is misplaced. Fix that defense and they'll go right back to scoring a ton of points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I know Scuderi's bad but I thought they kind of had a good defense? Are they underperforming or just not as good as I thought?

And yeah I understand that the Flyers defense is like bottom 3 in the league but players like Couturier, Read, Raffl, etc. never really impressed me.

It's under performing but it's also not particularly great.

Letang: Has sucked but he's been paired with Ian Cole who has also been very bad. This is strange because both were awesome possession players last season. Recently MJ broke that pairing up - hopefully that gets them both going.

Cole: See above. Was a strong possession player after he came to the Pens last season but has struggled mightily this season.

Maatta: His play has been up and down. I'm hoping the down is because he's been paired with Scuderi who is awful. They're putting OM back with Letang and hopefully that improves both of them.

Dumoulin: He's been a real bright spot. Leads the D in CF I believe and this despite getting unfavorable zone starts. He's big and can skate and should be a corner stone for a long time.

Scuderi/Lovejoy: bad bad bad loving bad

Clendening: I liked him the one game he played but MJ refuses to play him

If they trade for a top 4 defenseman and stop playing Scuderi so much it could be a good defense very quickly.

• Locked thread