Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In early 2009, a thread about a video review of Star Trek Generations narrated by an old serial killer started getting popular on furaffinity.net. And thus a media empire was born....

Red Letter Media is a company/group of people who just love movies! They also love talking about, making fun of, producing, editing, acting in, and doing all sorts of other filthy things to movies. Though most famous for the "Mr. Plinkett" character and his reviews of Star Wars/Trek films, they've put out a ton of hilarious and entertaining content over the years. This thread is for discussing their various videos and reviews, as well as making an ungodly amount of Rich Evans gifs.

WHO IS RED LETTER MEDIA?

Mike

The Stan Lee of RLM, Mike is the voice of Mr Plinkett in the video reviews and the co-host of Half in the Bag, as well as a regular on Best of the Worst. A grumpy alcoholic with a mean streak and a dry sense of humor, Mike can always be counted on to make you laugh or make Rich Evans cry. An experienced director and editor as well as general funnyman, Mike is involved in almost everything Red Letter Media puts out, so you better learn to love him.

Jay

The Laurel to Mike's Hardy(or is it the other way around?), Jay is the co-host of Half in the Bag and another Best of the Worst regular. Jay is the nicest, happiest member of the central RLM crew, and also a huge fan of human misery and hosed up movies. With a definite weirdo streak when it comes to his solo productions and an optimistic outlook on life, Jay brings a nice counterpoint to Mike's grumpiness in most of their reviews. Jay does a ton of editing work behind the scenes on multiple projects, and occasionally puts out solo reviews in his Quick Cuts segments. Jay also occasionally guest stars on Previously Recorded streams.

:siren:Rich Evans:siren:

The creator and face of Mr. Plinkett, Rich is a gifted physical comedian and, by his own admission, not good for much else. Frequently appearing on Half in the Bag and Best of the Worst, Rich is Mike's eternal punching bag. Rich is often seen falling down or doing other comical/embarrassing things in almost everything Mike's ever directed. Rich has proven himself to be a master crank caller and is beloved for his laughter. A pac-man expert, he's also the co-host of Previously Recorded, where he becomes the video game version of Mike and grouses about everything.

FRIENDS OF RLM

Jack

Though technically not a full-time RLM employee, Jack is involved in a lot of their projects. Whether it's sitting in on a Best of the Worst panel, helping out with editing, being the camera man when no one else wants to, playing a bit part in a movie or Half in the Bag episode, Jack's a regular presence in most RLM videos. A viral video producer on his own time, Jack is also the co-host of Previously Recorded, where his creepy inexhaustible enthusiasm contrasts with Rich's strong desire for death. A goofy fellow with progressive views, Jack is hated by 4channers, and thus a hero to all. He is also the voice of
:siren:gently caress-Bot 5000!:siren:

Josh aka Wizard

A mysterious fellow, Wizard is a regular on Best of the Worst panels and occasionally guest stars on Half in the Bag. He has an impressive knowledge of music and b-movies, as well as an equally impressive beard that comes and goes each time he's seen. Don't ask why he's called the Wizard, because the answer is boring.

Jessi

Another Best of the Worst fixture, Jessi competes with Rich for the title of "best laugh in the universe". Her love of fart jokes has led the show to experience great triumphs and even greater tortures. Surprisingly good at QWOP. Though she hasn't appeared in much recently, Jessi might return one day. Rumored to be dating an RLM member, BUT WHO?

Gillian

The co-star of RLM's hit film Feeding Frenzy, Gillian is a professional actress and stand-up comedienne that occasionally shows up to help the gang review movies. Most famous for violently disagreeing with Mike about a romantic comedy, Gillian is often shipped with Jay by fans. Which is really weird.

Jocelyn

Best known as Nadine, Plinkett's kidnap victim in the Star Wars reviews, Jocelyn is a professional actress who's worked with RLM on a number of projects. Her professionalism contrasts hilariously with the bumbling incompetence of Mike, Jay and Rich.

Lora

Lora is yet another comedienne who's an old friend of the crew. She's been in several of their shorts and features and has guest starred on Half in the Bag. Pretty hilarious at improv.

There are some other assholes but who cares.

RLM CONTENT

Mr Plinkett reviews

The reviews that put RLM on the map, these extremely long video reviews feature Mike taking apart various movies in the Plinkett voice and explaining why they're terrible (or great) while being entertaining. Some people find the voice annoying, but those people are stupid.

Half in the Bag

A Siskel and Ebert style film review show hosted by Mike and Jay, Half in the Bag is also a weird sitcom about two VCR repairman trying to scam old Mr. Plinkett out of his life's savings. Pretty useful if you want to know if a movie is worth seeing, but they sadly don't have time to review everything that comes out.

Best of the Worst

A panel show where the gang watches 3 obscure b-movies and discusses just how terrible they are. Due to RLM being comprised of masochists, the show occasionally features the Wheel of the Worst, where strange videos that aren't technically films are picked at random for the gang to watch. A tradition rapidly emerged where the shittiest film of the night gets destroyed in inventive ways. You can send in your own terrible films for the gang to probably never get around to watching!

Previously Recorded

Rich and Jack review video games for your amusement and frustration! They also stream themselves playing these games on twitch twice a week. Since neither of them work in the game industry, the reviews don't have the same "insider" perspective as Half in the Bag and Best of the Worst can offer, but the show is still interesting, as Jack and Rich are funny fellows and the best of friends.

Commentary Tracks

Mr. Plinkett and Half in the Bag commentary tracks, meant to be played alongside completely legally acquired copies of the films being discussed. Only one dollar each!

Feature Films

Features that RLM worked on that can be purchased digitally of physically. Space Cop is nearly done!!!!

Quick Cuts

Jay's short-lived solo review series, meant to let him talk about movies he's seen quickly and without too much editing. His workload might become manageable enough to allow him to make more of them in the future.

Other Stuff

Shorts, dead series, and other weird crap probably not worth watching unless you're a diehard fan. Except for the Grabowskis, the greatest sitcom of our time.

MORE LINKS

RLM Patreon

Official RLM twitter

Jay's Youtube

Jack's Youtube

Honest Trailers video guest starring Jay and Mike and the Outtakes

Talking to People about Star Wars

Mike gets interviewed by a weird foreigner

All that's left of the Mr. Plinkett animated series

This stupid thing I made

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i like the videos with the fat cartoon pedophile in them

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I remember the old RLM thread in GBS before it got closed for being a huge cesspit, hope that doesn't happen here! I love RLM, just a shame they only put out one video every couple of weeks now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I remember the old RLM thread in GBS before it got closed for being a huge cesspit, hope that doesn't happen here! I love RLM, just a shame they only put out one video every couple of weeks now.

I don't think they've ever been the type to put out tons of content. But hopefully they'll have more time to work on smaller things now that Space Cop is finally done.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

One of my favorite RLM videos has nothing to do with movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQlPr3hxXuA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm subscribed to their YouTube channel so I watch almost everything they put out (including the Pre-Rec archives, since I don't watch the live streams of those). In one they put out the other day, Jay said Space Cop was finished! It hasn't been released yet, but apparently it's all done now.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
They briefly mentioned the Manos remaster during the latest Best of the Worst.

Also, I watched their Return of the Jedi commentary track and it was pretty good. Are there other commentary tracks of the same quality?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't agree with a lot of their reviews, particularly Mike's, but they got Man of Steel and Boyhood totally right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Proposition Joe posted:

They briefly mentioned the Manos remaster during the latest Best of the Worst.

Also, I watched their Return of the Jedi commentary track and it was pretty good. Are there other commentary tracks of the same quality?

I haven't listened to that one, but most of the commentary tracks are pretty good. The only ones I'd recommend to stay away from are the Phantom Menace commentary, in which Mike obviously has trouble filling time in some parts and just puts on obnoxious cat noises and says random unfunny poo poo, and the Alien Commentary track, which is a fine podcast about the Alien franchise but barely talks about the actual film they're watching.

Ehud posted:

The entire saga is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN0fqt-BjRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhz49OjLZK4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RLM is the best.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I like Red Letter Media I have a Red Letter Media mug that I drink coffee out of.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ehud posted:

That vest Rich is wearing is probably the most comfortable piece of clothing I've ever seen.

herculesrockefeller
Jun 9, 2006
Which one are you, OP?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Plinkett reviews aren't as good now but back then literally every reviewer on Youtube was a character, and every single one of them was in loving Kickassia.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I still like RLM but nowadays I mostly keep an eye out for new Best of the Worst. The new reviews are fine if I'm bored/actually am interested in the movie. I usually skip the VCR repair shenanigans though, especially the post-review parts.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They really should do nothing but Wheel of the Worst.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, Best of the Worst is the only RLM thing I can stand, but it's loving great most of the time.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It confounds me they said exactly the same things about Pacific Rim I did but then turned around and called it good. And then totally dismissed Man of Steel over stupid bullshit. Usually they are fair but they have a real blind spot vis a vis Michael Bay or anything they think is 'too grimdark' I guess.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
I've only seen their Boyhood review, and that was enough to turn me off on them.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harime Nui posted:

It confounds me they said exactly the same things about Pacific Rim I did but then turned around and called it good. And then totally dismissed Man of Steel over stupid bullshit. Usually they are fair but they have a real blind spot vis a vis Michael Bay or anything they think is 'too grimdark' I guess.

:lol: if you actually enjoyed Man of Steel. Think you need to watch this instructional video to help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJP8J84vzTA

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Joakim Brecht posted:

I've only seen their Boyhood review, and that was enough to turn me off on them.

I really don't understand people who are bothered by reviewers disagreeing with them, or assume they must be mistaken somehow. People can have differing opinions on media, and that's ok. Jay is completely unimpressed by my favorite movie, but I still respect his views on film in general.

I mean obviously if you find yourself disagreeing with them all the time it would get irritating, but there's no need to get upset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYyHedwTb_Q&t=487s

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
When I still had time to follow RLM, they entertained me. I am reasonably sure that they would still entertain me if I had time to follow them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Grendels Dad posted:

When I still had time to follow RLM, they entertained me. I am reasonably sure that they would still entertain me if I had time to follow them.

You don't have a single hour to spare in a month to watch a new Best of the Worst?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

King Vidiot posted:

You don't have a single hour to spare in a month to watch a new Best of the Worst?

Nope. I am all out of time. Also, due to my lovely computer watching an hour long video becomes an undertaking that can last days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

It seems like they put out at least one thing every week, just that one thing can really vary between their different shows and/or just a little goofy thing like the acetone video.

As for the stuff they put out, I think the only thing I really don't care for is Pre-Rec.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't understand people who are bothered by reviewers disagreeing with them, or assume they must be mistaken somehow. People can have differing opinions on media, and that's ok. Jay is completely unimpressed by my favorite movie, but I still respect his views on film in general.

I mean obviously if you find yourself disagreeing with them all the time it would get irritating, but there's no need to get upset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYyHedwTb_Q&t=487s
My mistake. It wasn't exactly the review, but this video that I saw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fOA1cv9pHs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Haha. That's just them being assholes. :allears:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

their order 1886 review was good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AfroLine posted:

their order 1886 review was good.
It was probably the single greatest thing Pre-Rec has ever come out with or will ever come out with. They should do Best of the Worst style bad game destruction more often.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I pretty much agreed with all their reviews on Half in the Bag up until Man of Steel. They're not very good at critically analyzing movies, but they are pretty entertaining. They were way off on Chappie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Detective No. 27 posted:

I pretty much agreed with all their reviews on Half in the Bag up until Man of Steel. They're not very good at critically analyzing movies, but they are pretty entertaining. They were way off on Chappie.
Yeah, I actually watched their review of Chappie on the drive home after I saw that movie and I couldn't have disagreed more with what they were saying. Their feelings on movies usually align with mine, but sometimes they aren't even close, like with Chappie or Pain and Gain.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Detective No. 27 posted:

if you liked man of steel you probably cheered when the towers fell on 9/11

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dreezy posted:

if you liked man of steel you probably cheered when the towers fell on 9/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGjfO7iML5s

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I kind of like how years after RLM found popularity with their Star Wars reviews, they slowly drifted into ClickHole-esque mockery of the internet critics they helped inspire.

Considering their Force Awakens Trailer reactions, I wouldn't mind if they never express a sincere opinion about Star Wars ever again just to troll a nerd audience that only wants their petty opinions validated.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 3, 2015

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Joakim Brecht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fOA1cv9pHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzhpbXQDl6g

Relin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 3, 2015

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't understand people who are bothered by reviewers disagreeing with them

It was the "being fair" part that was important. I thought their PR review was good for example, b/c they accurately broke down the movie's strengths and weaknesses. Their reviews of Man of Steel and Pain and Gain are just "NOT MY SUPERMAN!" horseshit and garbage lobbed at a director they don't like though. Like I said most of the time they are good but they have some irrational tics, their hate-boner for Michael Bay being one.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Gildiss posted:

:lol: if you actually enjoyed Man of Steel. Think you need to watch this instructional video to help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebG5Z6N8ZTc

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Gillian is often shipped with Jay by fans. Which is really weird.

I don't know about shipping, but I got the vibe that she was into Jay during the WoTW (or was it BotW?) she was on.

Unrelated: That picture you chose for Mike makes me remember that I really want that giant flask, which exists, just because I like giant water bottles. But using it in public is asking for getting arrested.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 3, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Harime Nui posted:

Their reviews of Man of Steel and Pain and Gain are just "NOT MY SUPERMAN!" horseshit and garbage lobbed at a director they don't like though. Like I said most of the time they are good but they have some irrational tics, their hate-boner for Michael Bay being one.

They're right though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Hi I've posted in the RLM thread in GBS. I come in peace. Maybe. :twisted:

• Locked thread