Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Milky Moor posted:

I'm actually going to respond to you seriously for once.

I'm not!

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't think the criticisms "It's too stupid to be enjoyable" and "it's difficult to enjoy a mean-spirited comedy about a real tragic event" are unfair.

"It's stupid" is definitely not a fair criticism. They baldly ignored what the movie was actually setting up visually and thematically and focused on hammering Bay for I guess being in bad taste. Which, yeah, coming from the Plinkett guys is pretty weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone has their biases. RLM is no different. Rich Evans and Jack do not like video games that are not platformers. Mike and Jay hate Michael Bay.

But they're p cool people and awesome.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think if I was more into movies than I am I'd dislike HitB the same way I dislike Pre-Rec.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
a movie about psychopaths featuring several hero shots, I have no idea why people would be confused

michael bay is a bad director

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Everyone has their biases. RLM is no different. Rich Evans and Jack do not like video games that are not platformers. Mike and Jay hate Michael Bay.

But they're p cool people and awesome.

And like most Internet Critics, they grew up in the early days of special effects, so they see Power Rangers level monsters as the pinnacle of quality.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I love pain & gain but you can't cast a bunch of really well known, cool and likable dudes as a gang of evil lunactics in a comedy without the audience loving them. It's okay because the movie is so far from reality it's more like a parody of the 'based on a true story' but I can see why it put some people off. I dunno if I'd of liked it half as much if I didn't work out though as the bullshit motivational crap was extra funny.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

I love pain & gain but you can't cast a bunch of really well known, cool and likable dudes as a gang of evil lunactics in a comedy without the audience loving them.

Marky Mark Wahlberg, cool and likable dude

Pain and Gain made my acquittance who is way into roids and also a part-time motivational speaker, very frustrated, so that movie works.

"Internet critics" are not very flexible and rely on pre-set reactions and biases, they are not someone you go for the weighed opinion. You go watch Half in the Bag to see jokes about expensive movies, not be educated about film or see a new perspective on popular things. The overblown Boyhood hate was pretty refreshing though, in comparison to the free pass given to that movie by everyone that year.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 4, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly, Best of the Worst is the only RLM thing I can stand, but it's loving great most of the time.

:agreed:

I still halfway listen to Half in the Bag if it's a movie I'm interested in hearing Mike and Jay rip on, but Best of the Worst has been getting a lot better over the past year or so.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

And like most Internet Critics, they grew up in the early days of special effects, so they see Power Rangers level monsters as the pinnacle of quality.

This is such a weird statement that I'm having a hard time understanding it. What are the "early days of special effects" exactly? Special effects have been around a lot longer then the 90s (or the 70s if you're going for earlier camp).

On topic, RLM is enjoyable and good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

One of my favourites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IE_B3VK1mQ

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

I still have no idea if they actually described any real scenes from the movie

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I have to rewatch this every so often to remind myself what Hollywood is, always has been and always will be. Fack movies!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
I ventured into this thread to discover that people unironically like Michael Bay movies. :stare:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Hey have another great review from the boys at RedLetterMedia. This review is of the delightful comedy flick ("flick" is a fun word for a fun movie!) Grown Ups 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCkl-Vgc4-I

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I ventured into this thread to discover that people unironically like Michael Bay movies. :stare:
If it weren't for Snyder and Nolan, Bay would be the Spielberg of the new century.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Unironically is the wrong term: a certain sense of irony is needed to appreciate Bay's movies as the super-cynical satire they are. I still don't know if it's intended for the movies to be interpreted that way, or if it's jsut a happy coincidence, but there we are.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Irony abounds.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

zandert33 posted:

This is such a weird statement that I'm having a hard time understanding it. What are the "early days of special effects" exactly? Special effects have been around a lot longer then the 90s (or the 70s if you're going for earlier camp).

Sorry, I was tired and tabletposting, so I didn't really finesse it. In short:

RLM, like most Internet Critics, had their formative years in the 70s or 80s, where the bulk of the special effects are of a Dude In A Rubber Suit + A LIttle KY. That was the pinnacle of effort; the best they could do; they didn't know any better. Of course, now that crap is on par with whatever evil monster Rita Repulsa sends down to Angel Grove. So you'll see them make cracks at CGI for looking bad/fake, all the while loving the poo poo from the 80s that looks even worse/faker.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

MisterBibs posted:

RLM, like most Internet Critics, had their formative years in the 70s or 80s, where the bulk of the special effects are of a Dude In A Rubber Suit + A LIttle KY. That was the pinnacle of effort; the best they could do; they didn't know any better. Of course, now that crap is on par with whatever evil monster Rita Repulsa sends down to Angel Grove. So you'll see them make cracks at CGI for looking bad/fake, all the while loving the poo poo from the 80s that looks even worse/faker.

fortunately there are insightful millennials to tell them how much better the cgi effects in the thing remake look than the practical ones in the john carpenter one

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sydney Bottocks posted:

People don't like The Rock? I mean, it's not a cinematic masterpiece or anything, but it's fun as poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

Hey have another great review from the boys at RedLetterMedia. This review is of the delightful comedy flick ("flick" is a fun word for a fun movie!) Grown Ups 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCkl-Vgc4-I

Those are fine but the Jack and Jill review is still the undisputed champion.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah man, all that Rick Baker and Stan Winston did was put some guys into rubber suits, totally Power Rangers poo poo.
They laugh at bad practical special effects all the time on Best of the Worst.

How they could have their formative years in the 70s when Mike is under 40?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

zandert33 posted:

I think I get what he meant because I'm pretty close to being the same generation as Mike and Jay (a little younger) and I remember being 10 years old and being blown the eff away by this poo poo -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlINvHE0OFM

Not necessarily that specifically, but those kinds of practical effects with highly detailed costumes and props, to me, still looks amazing. OTOH I think if I showed this to my 14 y/o nephew he'd be like "this is uh.... this is real nice Uncle Harime" > _ >

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 4, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cat doter posted:

I still have no idea if they actually described any real scenes from the movie

They didn't. I told Jay on the forums what actually happened in the film, and he was completely shocked that his and Mike's bullshit improv was actually a lot more elaborate and interesting than what was actually in the film.

The movie is boring and lovely.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No one complains about CGI if it's well done and adds to the movie in the same way a good practical effect would. This is a dumb derail.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I remember in the Chappie review they hated the movie but complimented the CGI and said they couldn't tell if Chappie was real or CGI or both.

Corek fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 4, 2015

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Corek posted:

I remember in the Chappie review they hated the movie but complimented the CGI and said they couldn't tell if Chappie was real or CGI or both.

So was Chappie Rita Repulsa or a putty or what?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

No one complains about CGI if it's well done and adds to the movie in the same way a good practical effect would. This is a dumb derail.

MisterBibs also derailed the Scream Stream chat with this dumb argument. I guess he really likes CGI.

Corek posted:

They said the same thing in Cowboy vs Aliens and, as much as they thought the movie was a mess, said The Thing from the Fantastic Four movie was an "appropriate use of a CG character" because he looked way better than the bad rubber suit from the earlier ones.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah man, all that Rick Baker and Stan Winston did was put some guys into rubber suits, totally Power Rangers poo poo.

Decent rubber suits, but still rubber suits. So yeah, Power Rangers poo poo. Acceptable for the 80s, a joke now.

Lurdiak posted:

MisterBibs also derailed the Scream Stream chat with this dumb argument. I guess he really likes CGI.

Interestingly enough, it was an NOES+RLM commentary that I was talking about. It was when the guys were gushing over the poo poo, we can't do anything better, push Robert through some rubber scene and how it was so much better than CGI. Which, of course, it isn't.

Of course I like CGI. Always pick the better effect.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Interestingly enough, it was an NOES+RLM commentary that I was talking about. It was when the guys were gushing over the poo poo, we can't do anything better, push Robert through some rubber scene and how it was so much better than CGI. Which, of course, it isn't.

"Of course" it isn't. You're saying it like it's self-evident and it's not. That rubber wall is a great effect, as is the instant pudding on the steps that Nancy gets stuck in.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CGI is for dullards with bad taste and limited imagination. I condemn cgi entirely.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
In Once Upon a Time in Mexico they used cgi for muzzle flashes, but couldn't stop Antonio Banderas from making little "pew pew" noises as he waved his rubber gun props around

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's happening again...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

King Vidiot posted:

I have to rewatch this every so often to remind myself what Hollywood is, always has been and always will be. Fack movies!

Except Movie 43 was entirely a passion project for Peter Farrelly and it took him like a decade to get it made precisely because no Hollywood studio would produce it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sleeveless posted:

Except Movie 43 was entirely a passion project for Peter Farrelly and it took him like a decade to get it made precisely because no Hollywood studio would produce it.

How could anyone possibly be passionate about Movie 43?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oifhpT0HZ7Q

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I don't really remember any review where they hated on CGI just because.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PoPcornTG posted:

I don't really remember any review where they hated on CGI just because.

They never have.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Is it just me, or is the main camera moving back and forth? Why is it doing that?

Am I going insaaannneee??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

"The grave of Senator Binks has been desecrated!"

• Locked thread