Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
He made American Graffiti, THX-1138, and A New Hope. Let that be a lesson to any creative types: there is no such thing as good will from nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nerds are the worst, basically.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Case in point: wanting Indiana Jones to be a pedophile.

According to the official Raiders script itself, Marion was 15 when she and a 27-year-old Indy had an affair. That's what all the dialogue in the scene is supposed to be hinting at.

The intended point being that Indy's a skeeze and Marion has a legitimate reason to be as angry at him as she is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sad Mammal posted:

He made American Graffiti, THX-1138, and A New Hope. Let that be a lesson to any creative types: there is no such thing as good will from nerds.

Oh please, don't try to turn this around like people who criticize Lucas' obvious shortcomings are somehow the weird ones. He's an egomaniac who went from knowing he's neither the best writer or director or editor to somehow feeling the need to have complete control over every aspect of his films.

It's also worth noting that at several points during the production of Star Wars (or as assholes call it, A New Hope), people told Lucas his script was terrible, and his movie was horribly boring. That "great film" he made was saved in editing and basically nothing like his original vision.

No one is saying that George Lucas had nothing to do with Star Wars, but it was ridiculous of him to buy into the idea that he masterminded the entire franchise.

Cnut the Great posted:

According to the official Raiders script itself, Marion was 15 when she and a 27-year-old Indy had an affair. That's what all the dialogue in the scene is supposed to be hinting at.

The intended point being that Indy's a skeeze and Marion has a legitimate reason to be as angry at him as she is.

During conversations with Spielberg about the script, Lucas wanted her to be 12, not 15.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 8, 2015

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Lurdiak posted:

Oh please, don't try to turn this around like people who criticize Lucas' obvious shortcomings are somehow the weird ones.

When your filmography is half stone-cold classics and half meh movies that wouldn't have raised half as much ire coming from any other director, then yeah, I'm pretty comfortable calling those people weird.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
how many possible children have to hypothetically die in the bowels of Skywalker Ranch before you people wake up!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sad Mammal posted:

When your filmography is half stone-cold classics and half meh movies that wouldn't have raised half as much ire coming from any other director, then yeah, I'm pretty comfortable calling those people weird.

I'm sure your opinion will go over great in this, the Red Letter Media thread.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That's ridiculous this is the star wars thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Can't be, I'm posting in it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Oh please, don't try to turn this around like people who criticize Lucas' obvious shortcomings are somehow the weird ones

It's 2015. All the Star Wars movies have been a success both in terms of commercial methods and in raw not-just-people-on-the-internet popularity. One of the ways the writers coded the leads in The Big Bang Theory is by making them still upset about the prequels/etc.

RLM knows their audience, so they pander to those still upset over the prequels.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just once I'd like to be able to have a discussion about the prequels being bad or George Lucas being a creepy weirdo without contrarians invading the thread.

Speaking of bad Star Wars, has anyone listened to the Return of the Jedi commentary yet? I haven't had time to sit down and iznero a special edition of the film to watch along with the commentary.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
It's pretty good. Jay does a mean David Lynch impression.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Sad Mammal posted:

It's pretty good. Jay does a mean David Lynch impression.

Jay's getting better looking as they years go by - he's going to reach terminal velocity at Solid Silver Fox - or just turn into a grampa of diminishing effectiveness :(

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lurdiak posted:

Just once I'd like to be able to have a discussion about the prequels being bad or George Lucas being a creepy weirdo without contrarians invading the thread.

Speaking of bad Star Wars, has anyone listened to the Return of the Jedi commentary yet? I haven't had time to sit down and iznero a special edition of the film to watch along with the commentary.

Yes. My story: I've seen the real Start Wars movies about 3 times, and this was my fourth time seeing Jedi, and it was great seeing it with my fake internet friends. They really come prepared with this one, though I wish they had commented more on the action and less on their meandering asides, but again this is someone who last saw Jedi in the theatre after its makeover like 12 or so years ago. I didn't even think Jedi was the weakest Star Wars movie either, I used to just think of all three of them as a whole, so even that level of criticism is new to me.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Lurdiak posted:

Oh please, don't try to turn this around like people who criticize Lucas' obvious shortcomings are somehow the weird ones. He's an egomaniac who went from knowing he's neither the best writer or director or editor to somehow feeling the need to have complete control over every aspect of his films.

It's also worth noting that at several points during the production of Star Wars (or as assholes call it), people told Lucas his script was terrible, and his movie was horribly boring. That "great film" he made was saved in editing and basically nothing like his original vision.

No one is saying that George Lucas had nothing to do with Star Wars, but it was ridiculous of him to buy into the idea that he masterminded the entire franchise.

During conversations with Spielberg about the script, Lucas wanted her to be 12, not 15.

this is the whole point people like us have, george lucas is not an auteur but he bought into the idea that he was, rather than being part of a collaboration, an important part sure, but just a part

once given complete control over the series he made barely watchable poo poo, and I think if those movies weren't called star wars and were directed by someone else people would likely be MORE critical of them, not less

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Are the BotW any good if you aren't interested in trashy low-budget movies? I've only seen the Star Wars Holiday Special ones (which were great).

cat doter posted:

this is the whole point people like us have, george lucas is not an auteur but he bought into the idea that he was, rather than being part of a collaboration, an important part sure, but just a part

once given complete control over the series he made barely watchable poo poo, and I think if those movies weren't called star wars and were directed by someone else people would likely be MORE critical of them, not less
I dunno. A different name and director wouldn't make Jake Lloyd a good actor, but it would mean people wouldn't complain about Midichlorians or Yoda's fighting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Are the BotW any good if you aren't interested in trashy low-budget movies? I've only seen the Star Wars Holiday Special ones (which were great).

I think Wheel of the Worst at the very least would appeal to anyone, although they can be painful. But overall it's interesting to hear really passionate people discuss things with horrible obvious failings, enjoyable or not. Plus they have pretty good jokes.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Liking red letter media has little to do with being a movie fan and much more to do with enjoying this likable group of friends hang out and talk about stuff they're passionate about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can assure you that as a huge fan of b-movies, I get extra enjoyment out of Best of the Worst.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I can assure you that as a huge fan of b-movies, I get extra enjoyment out of Best of the Worst.

gently caress yes. I'm glad they do it too. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but as a fan of cinematic trash I don't see many internet reviewers making videos about them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The only ones I can think of do it in a purely negative way, talking about how every b-movie is the worst dumbest movie ever. The RLM crew has real love for the schlock.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
One thing I like about Wheel of the Worst is it's an actual gamble, some episodes they end up with a slate of terrible, boring tapes and it turns into them trying desperately to create humor to fill the void. They can get pretty creative.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

The only ones I can think of do it in a purely negative way, talking about how every b-movie is the worst dumbest movie ever. The RLM crew has real love for the schlock.

This is why my favorite Best of the Worst is the Len Kabasinski one, because not only did his love for the movies come through so strongly, but the "what did you like best about each movie" was a good segment too. Len is great, and I wish they'd have him cameo more. :allears:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Slate Action posted:

One thing I like about Wheel of the Worst is it's an actual gamble, some episodes they end up with a slate of terrible, boring tapes and it turns into them trying desperately to create humor to fill the void. They can get pretty creative.

The fact that a few episodes have been duds is a testament to this. You truly feel that they are rolling the dice.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is why my favorite Best of the Worst is the Len Kabasinski one, because not only did his love for the movies come through so strongly, but the "what did you like best about each movie" was a good segment too. Len is great, and I wish they'd have him cameo more. :allears:

Yeah, they get good guests on. Len was great, the Canadians are solid, Samurai Cop was legit. Anyone else?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, if Samurai Cop had helped them review some movies...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Frostwerks posted:

Liking red letter media has little to do with being a movie fan and much more to do with enjoying this likable group of friends hang out and talk about stuff they're passionate about.

I dunno I think Jay and Mike have some pretty genuine filmmaking insights in their reviews. Most of it is Filmmaking 101 type stuff but that's still more than most people know.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Finally getting around to watching Return of the Jedi with their commentary and holy gently caress Wicket's eyes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

precision posted:

I dunno I think Jay and Mike have some pretty genuine filmmaking insights in their reviews. Most of it is Filmmaking 101 type stuff but that's still more than most people know.

Myself included. If I wasn't kinda learning a thing or two about how to hate movies I wouldn't get nearly as much out of it.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Finally getting around to watching Return of the Jedi with their commentary and holy gently caress Wicket's eyes.

My favorite is Han's line change that Mike mentions, "trustmeIcanseemuchbetternow!!"

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Joe the Strummer posted:

Han's line change

What?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I never even noticed Return of the Jedi's Millennium Falcon matte painting, but then I only watched the movie like three times in my lifetime, but I may have heard the anecdote about the original model burning up since that sounded familiar. The matte was really noticeable in the blu ray though, it was like they were on a stage doing a play in front of a backdrop.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I love the stuff they dig up for Best of the Worst and the way the shamelessness and/or resourcefulness of those films brings out their love of the filmmaking process. And then Half in the Bag is so worlds apart from that it's depressing, like they've got a list of what a good movie should do and what it shouldn't and they're just there to tell you if it's up to code or not. So about the most derivative, formulaic, basic poo poo they'll say "This was really engaging! Everyone involved really knew what they were doing!" and then for riskier, more eccentric films they'll start to drag out IMDB forums caliber complaints like "This movie doesn't know what it wants to be! The tone is all over the place and I hated all the characters!"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Time Dissolver posted:

I love the stuff they dig up for Best of the Worst and the way the shamelessness and/or resourcefulness of those films brings out their love of the filmmaking process. And then Half in the Bag is so worlds apart from that it's depressing, like they've got a list of what a good movie should do and what it shouldn't and they're just there to tell you if it's up to code or not. So about the most derivative, formulaic, basic poo poo they'll say "This was really engaging! Everyone involved really knew what they were doing!" and then for riskier, more eccentric films they'll start to drag out IMDB forums caliber complaints like "This movie doesn't know what it wants to be! The tone is all over the place and I hated all the characters!"

The problem is that they likely take notes and come up with talking points prior to all of the Best of the Worst episodes and it's more "scripted", and with Half in the Bag they just watch a new movie in the theater and then talk off-the-cuff about it. Or maybe it's easier to talk about obviously-flawed movies than it is to talk about pristine Hollywood films where most of the complaints are subjective because the production is spitshined and the budget is huge. You have to dig way below the surface to point out the flaws in a big budget movie, that's why the Plinkett reviews take so long to make (I mean, beyond all the editing for an hour long video).

Also yes I'm aware that Baby's Day Out and Cop Dog are low-hanging fruit, but those videos were jokes and came out shortly after the previous real Plinkett reviews were made.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
my favorite BOTW is the one where they discover XTRO

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Time Dissolver posted:

So about the most derivative, formulaic, basic poo poo they'll say "This was really engaging! Everyone involved really knew what they were doing!" and then for riskier, more eccentric films they'll start to drag out IMDB forums caliber complaints like "This movie doesn't know what it wants to be! The tone is all over the place and I hated all the characters!"

This isn't really true though is it. Usually the bog standard films they'll disagree on, and the more out there ones they'll either adore or admire the concept but be disappointed with the execution. They almost never poo poo on a film without a drat good reason, and if they do point out pettier flaws they'll be part of a wider argument rather than a condemnation of a film on their own.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Sad Mammal posted:

yes no criticism or jokes should be allowed towards God-King Lucas since he used to somehow make good movies.

Lurdiak posted:

RLM also disliked cd favorites Battleship and Pain and Gain, not surprised they cannot comprehend rlm and their jokes or just making jokes about bad movies in general.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

I think Wheel of the Worst at the very least would appeal to anyone, although they can be painful. But overall it's interesting to hear really passionate people discuss things with horrible obvious failings, enjoyable or not. Plus they have pretty good jokes.

Wheel of the Worst is fun because instead of the usual "Holy poo poo, this lovely low-budget genre movie has bad special effects and acting!!! :iamafag:" that permeates every other bad movie review gig they get some genuinely bizarre stuff and struggle to comprehend it. Like the one episode where they get a Japanese music video collection about barcodes being the harbinger of the apocalypse, or the octogenarian variety show hosted by the woman who was probably the inspiration for Mrs. Doubtfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceUSZBMeREY&t=1584s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0wdZHNwV7s&t=1610s

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The last Wheel of the Worst was legitimately horrifying and really awkward, seriously do not delve into the background of the Rainbow the clown video if you don't want to feel like poo poo for the rest of the day, also Rich's awkward, racist prank call soured the feeling of the last two loving hilarious ones he did a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The only major problem with Wheel Of The Worst is that sometimes they spin the titular Wheel fast enough that the VHSes fly off and the wheel is no longer balanced. So we get a "Oh it stopped on X, but then it rolled down to Y instead!" moment.

• Locked thread