Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

PiedPiper posted:

Huh, interesting. It actually baffled me that they liked Avengers and Age of Ultron as much as they did. Especially when Rich Evans said that comic book movies should be silly and fun.

Unlike many other sources I frequent, they actually count superhero sequels as part of the current problem Hollywood has with original ideas and not just a universally awesome and positive thing. And while they might have a positive opinion about those movies, they still provide something of a differentiated point of view, at least to me. E.g. that many of the Marvel movies have pretty weak, forgettable villains. They can still be perfectly enjoyable movies, but even such a critic point is almost unheard off (in certain circles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Unless you're really against them on principle, you have to try really hard to find Marvel movies actively unenjoyable. Except maybe the Incredible Hulk. As Mike said, they're fast food burgers. Not great, not technically burgers, but they're fine. They're certainly better made than something like The Last Stand.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love the very rare times when Mike discusses something about video games because you can hear the absolute disdain in his voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJB0gsh6C8M

King Vidiot posted:

In the handful of Pre_Rec streams where Mike showed up, the gang kept talking about breaking out Dr. Mario for Mike as it seemed to be the only video game he's ever played or liked.

He brought up that game all the time, and then when they finally did the Dr. Mario stream he didn't show up. Mike is great.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Lurdiak posted:

Unless you're really against them on principle, you have to try really hard to find Marvel movies actively unenjoyable. Except maybe the Incredible Hulk. As Mike said, they're fast food burgers. Not great, not technically burgers, but they're fine. They're certainly better made than something like The Last Stand.

RLM gave The Last Stand a good review. I personally enjoyed it, too. They were right about too many women looking the same, though. It gets disorienting.

I also respect that they destroyed their Chevy product-placed cars at the end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Harveygod posted:

RLM gave The Last Stand a good review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi7_r80uwn8&t=900s

Interesting definition of good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the incredible hulk is better than several marvel films and the effects look better than the avengers hulk.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Groovelord Neato posted:

the incredible hulk is better than several marvel films and the effects look better than the avengers hulk.

I remember it as being a good movie up until the monster fight and suddenly the Leader is there. rear end in a top hat Captain America vs Hulk is good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like The Incredible Hulk just fine, I just feel it's the least "effective" Marvel film because it's kind of all over the map in a lot of ways and Liv Tyler is loving awful. I also hate the design of Hulk in that movie. Like, I hate looking at him.

You can almost feel the conflict between the movie Ed Norton wanted to make and the movie the studio wanted in some scenes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's one of the best cgi characters i've ever seen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Colin from Canada will appreciate that you said that.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Ah, okay, I seem to have misremembered a bit. Jay seemed to enjoy it while Mike didn't like it (though he didn't seem to hate it).

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Corek posted:

The only time that could have been possible was that Bob Rosenberg Finishing video, and I don't think they destroyed that one.

What's striking is the difference between MST3K finding new ways to appreciate weird relics of B movie culture (and ultimately preserving them) and RLM's AVGN-style skits about breaking stuff. If they had been first to discover Manos, would they have destroyed it because it didn't "deserve" interest?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They digitally archive them before they destroy the tapes.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Toady posted:

What's striking is the difference between MST3K finding new ways to appreciate weird relics of B movie culture (and ultimately preserving them) and RLM's AVGN-style skits about breaking stuff. If they had been first to discover Manos, would they have destroyed it because it didn't "deserve" interest?

Detective No. 27 posted:

They digitally archive them before they destroy the tapes.

Well that answers that question.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Obviously, they digitize them for editing into an episode. The point is that these are barely intact oddities from the early home video era that will never be re-released; RLM are the only ones watching them. If they had found Manos first, they would have destroyed it on camera for being boring, and that would be the end of it--no cult following, no restoration project, etc. It's a sharp contrast with MST3K and the B movie subculture, which treasured weird finds.

Toady fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 10, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Ok first they often seem to end up destroying stuff that's a lot more a mainstream Hollywood production you could probably find easily enough in a bin of DVDs in a random shop, notably Christmas Vacation 2 or Theodore Rex. Second they don't even destroy all of the videos though, only the ones they find seriously unwatchable, cynical or insulting, like a third of their episodes end without them destroying anything. They've genuinely sang the praises of some really unexpected stuff like Undefeatable, the Corman Fantastic Four and Xtro.

Besides I don't find myself upset that they've deprived the world of another copy of American Flatulators or The Tomb.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Toady posted:

Obviously, they digitize them for editing into an episode. The point is that these are barely intact oddities from the early home video era that will never be re-released; RLM are the only ones watching them. If they had found Manos first, they would have destroyed it on camera for being boring, and that would be the end of it--no cult following, no restoration project, etc. It's a sharp contrast with MST3K and the B movie subculture, which treasured weird finds.

There's no way they would have destroyed a find like Manos. They tend to appreciate the truly bizarre finds.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I think my favorite Best of the Worst moment is it gradually dawning on them how good Xtro is.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

PoPcornTG posted:

There's no way they would have destroyed a find like Manos. They tend to appreciate the truly bizarre finds.

Outside the context of its MST3K appearance and absurd backstory, Manos is a boring home movie. Best of the Worst is about which bad film is most entertaining. It likely would have been destroyed because "nothing happens" and Rich Evans would "rather be raped" than watch it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Toady posted:

Best of the Worst is about which bad film is most entertaining.
For any reason, including being loving weird.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ken Levine's Cleared for Takeoff was unappreciated art and gently caress them for destroying it!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ken Levine's Cleared for Takeoff was unappreciated art and gently caress them for destroying it!

The easy and expected response, which misses the point.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Toady posted:

Outside the context of its MST3K appearance and absurd backstory, Manos is a boring home movie. Best of the Worst is about which bad film is most entertaining. It likely would have been destroyed because "nothing happens" and Rich Evans would "rather be raped" than watch it.

I know what I'd rather be doing than reading you posting about their treatment of bad movies, that's for sure.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel movies are terrible, food analogies are way worse

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Torgo's first scene (where the family meets him at the door and he stumbles to their car while his theme music plays) is the exact kind of thing that would bring down the house on Best of the Worst.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Looks like Max Landis is going to be on a RLM thing.

https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees/status/663914120299675648

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That should be interesting. Landis is a huge rear end in a top hat but he's also pretty funny, and a big RLM fan.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lurdiak posted:

That should be interesting. Landis is a huge rear end in a top hat but he's also pretty funny, and a big RLM fan.

Wait, didn't they rip into him a huge amount in their American Ultra review?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, and he got really baby-mad about it. I'd assume they contacted each other after the fact, since despite appearances, Landis is an adult.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

khwarezm posted:

they also had a brief twitter spat a few months ago. it concluded in congratulating Landis on his role in the movie Max

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, and he got really baby-mad about it. I'd assume they contacted each other after the fact, since despite appearances, Landis is an adult.
I just hope whatever happens when they meet, RLM will still call whatever next garbage movie Landis makes garbage.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
len kabasinski > max landis

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

dreezy posted:

len kabasinski > max landis

I was really surprised at how likable Len Kabasinski was.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Zmej posted:

they also had a brief twitter spat a few months ago. it concluded in congratulating Landis on his role in the movie Max

I thought Landis mentioned how RLM didn't like his movies. I don't think they responded?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I thought Landis mentioned how RLM didn't like his movies. I don't think they responded?

Jay mentioned he liked Chronicle, and they replied on Twitter.

https://imgur.com/jMTt6Oc

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 11, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

Looks like Max Landis is going to be on a RLM thing.

https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees/status/663914120299675648

I'll give him that answering "Dad?" to the twitter dude calling him bad names was kinda funny.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Toady posted:

Would just like to remind you that they did not destroy Crazy Fat Ethel 2, and you are making a lot of assumptions for whatever reason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Someone with an internet grudge not making any sense? That's never happened before.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Toady posted:

If I remember correctly, even MST3K was unsure whether they could do Manos.

I'm surprised they destroyed Space Mutiny. It's stupid, but at least it's colorful and stuff happens in it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm all for preservation but they're not going to destroy a film that's actually rare, don't be dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean I guess Dance of Birth might've been rare but that's not a film.

• Locked thread