Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
http://www.si.com/vault/2011/03/21/106048204/royals-flush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hal McRae destroyed an office. Jose Pena lit a fire but the fire was in Spanish. Johnny Damon promised to never leave then left and dogged the team. Once the fans walked out of a game with the Yankees to protest revenue not-sharing. Matt Stairs was a thing. Too many dark and lonely roads paved with Kevin Kietzman's verbal diarrhea.

Edit: I was 10 the last World Series Royals win. Even then there were Cardinals fans in my elementary school.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
My first baseball memory is the Pine Tar Game. I was 13 and living in KC when we won it all in 1985.

I stuck with this team through all the lean years even after moving halfway across the country. poo poo, I travelled back in September 2002 mainly to see a few games - i remember they had a September promotion where they gave you free tickets for the next game if they won. I saw three games for the price of one ticket and it still wasn't worth it.

Still they didn't win and the players I liked always blew up. Mike Sweeney could never escape the losing and somehow became the scapegoat for the team's failures when he got hurt. Finally GMDM arrived and assembled The Best Minor League System but the losing continued and The Process became a punchline.

Then last year they miraculously broke through. I went back to KC for ALDS Game 3 because, this being the Royals, I figured it would be their only home playoff game before everything fell apart again. I loved their run but like most I figured it was a one-year fluke and we'd win 85 games this year.

I was wrong. Turns out you can build a team around defense, relief pitching and running like crazy people. Went to KC again for Game 2 of the World Series and was rewarded with The Cueto Experience but as a KC fan I've learned that no lead is too big to lose. This team finally beat down my pessimism and gave me another title.

I'm not sure it makes up for all those terrible years but it's what I've been wanting for 30 years and I'm going to revel in it a bit.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

alpha_destroy posted:

I mean... I remember fighting kids over who got to pretend to be Joe the Joker Randa.

We got to do this with George Brett, thank god. I always wanted to be Gubicza. No one ever even tried to be Bo.

kiimo posted:

Hal McRae destroyed an office.

Our DARE officer used this as an example of how not to deal with anger effectively.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Speaking ill of the Jose Lima experience, shameful

ES LIMA TIME BAP BAP BAP

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

bewbies posted:

2004: Maybe this season was actually rock bottom: 104 losses. “Negative WAR All Star” Ken Harvey.

Ken Harvey. The guy who caught a relay throw square in the back. The guy who got tangled up in the tarp. And the guy who did this:

I remember the entire panel on Baseball Tonight being doubled over with laughter for like 45 seconds when they aired that. It was the only time that week a Royals game warranted a "highlight". Seemed like everything the Royals did then came straight out of a Major League Part X script. I often wondered who had it worse - young fans that had never experienced a winning Royals team, or older fans like me, who did remember the days of the Royals being annual contenders and then having to see it sink to such depths.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty much all the major school districts are closed tomorrow for the parade. I hear the city is expecting half a million people. I also can't believe how many people are salty about the districts closing. All of these "I am a nurse. What am I supposed to do?" Umm, do the same thing you would do if they were sick. This isn't rocket science.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mike_V posted:

So, presumably a bunch of Royals will be up for paydays this offseason or next. Is their owner someone (or some corp) willing to open up the pocket book or will it be a different looking roster next year?

David Glass is a noted Scrooge

yay Royals fans

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this is the worst defensive play i have ever seen

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

this is the worst defensive play i have ever seen

uh

e:

Here's a smaller but less choppy version

After this, the right fielder fields the ball and throws it wide of the catcher

Does anyone have the complete play?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 2, 2015

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The Giants' FO ordered Pizza for the Royals' FO

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I don't think 2015 diminishes 2014 at all. We weren't supposed to be there at all in 2014. We were supposed to lose the wild card game. We weren't supposed to beat the Angels or the Orioles. We were supposed to get swept out of the Series. We weren't supposed to take it to game 7. None of that magic goes away just because we turned it up a notch the next year and took the final step.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Xir posted:

I don't think 2015 diminishes 2014 at all. We weren't supposed to be there at all in 2014. We were supposed to lose the wild card game. We weren't supposed to beat the Angels or the Orioles. We were supposed to get swept out of the Series. We weren't supposed to take it to game 7. None of that magic goes away just because we turned it up a notch the next year and took the final step.

The Royals weren't supposed to rally from down like 6-2 in the 8th inning of an elimination against the Astros, either. The playoffs are weird and magical and if anyone says anything about this year in which the team you root for won a championship diminishes something, that's just sour grapes and that person's an idiot.

Unless you find out that one of the players key to your run is a terrible person and now you can only 99.9% enjoy your win rather than fully enjoying it. The Lance Berkman rule, if you will.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

Before Cespedes was acquired at the trade deadline, the Mets literally had the worst offense in all of baseball. Dead last in runs scored. Recreating that second-half offense is not going to be easy. People loved talking about how great the Mets offense was since the acquisition of Yo, but are already refusing to believe that there will be an enormous drop-off if/when they lose both Cespedes and Murphy in the offseason. Also, isn't Lagares getting elbow surgery and missing most of the season?

I'd predict that the Mets season next year will look a hell of a lot closer to the first half than the second half. Expect a lot of low-scoring affairs and heartbreaking close losses. The pitching will remain great, but that offense and defense are likely going to fall off a cliff.

This is exactly what I meant. I just don't see any good bats on the horizon. Plus the Nats will not be as self-destructive as they were this year.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I really wish I could go to the parade, but I have a seminar presentation at noon.

One of my favorite things about all this is all the articles about how bad things were in Kansas City. It so loving refreshing to have those stories be retrospective instead of being part of some ongoing mythos. poo poo like bringing a softball pitcher to spring trainer is hilarious from the perspective of actually being winners..

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Armitage posted:

I don't think the Nationals are going to put up another stinker of a season.

Said everyone this season.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

CBS Sports put together a pretty helpful list of pending FAs

Atlanta Braves
Ross Detwiler
Edwin Jackson
Peter Moylan
A.J. Pierzynski

Arizona Diamondbacks
David Hernandez
Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Baltimore Orioles
Wei-Yin Chen
Chris Davis
Darren O'Day
Gerardo Parra
Steve Pearce
Matt Wieters

Boston Red Sox
Craig Breslow
Rich Hill

Chicago Cubs
Trevor Cahill
Chris Denorfia
Dexter Fowler
Dan Haren (retired)
Tommy Hunter
Austin Jackson
Jason Motte
Fernando Rodney

Chicago White Sox
Matt Albers
Gordon Beckham
Jeff Samardzija
Geovany Soto

Cincinnati Reds
Sean Marshall
Manny Parra
Brayan Pena

Cleveland Indians
Mike Aviles
Gavin Floyd
Ryan Webb

Colorado Rockies
Kyle Kendrick
Justin Morneau

Detroit Tigers
Alex Avila
Rajai Davis
Tom Gorzelanny
Alfredo Simon
Randy Wolf

Houston Astros
Scott Kazmir
Oliver Perez
Colby Rasmus
Tony Sipp
Joe Thatcher

Kansas City Royals
Johnny Cueto
Ryan Madson
Franklin Morales
Chris Young
Ben Zobrist

Los Angeles Angels
David Freese
Chris Iannetta
Matt Joyce
Matt Latos
Shane Victorino
Wesley Wright

Los Angeles Dodgers
Brett Anderson
Howie Kendrick
Jimmy Rollins

Miami Marlins
Don Kelly
Jeff Mathis
Casey McGehee

Milwaukee Brewers
Kyle Lohse

Minnesota Twins
Blaine Boyer
Neal Cotts
Brian Duensing
Torii Hunter
Mike Pelfrey

New York Mets
Jerry Blevins
Yoenis Cespedes
Tyler Clippard
Bartolo Colon
Kelly Johnson
Daniel Murphy
Eric O'Flaherty
Bobby Parnell
Juan Uribe

New York Yankees
Chris Capuano
Stephen Drew
Chris Young

Oakland Athletics
Edward Mujica
Barry Zito (retired)

Philadelphia Phillies
Chad Billingsley
Jeff Francoeur
Aaron Harang
Jerome Williams

Pittsburgh Pirates
Antonio Bastardo
Joe Blanton
A.J. Burnett (retired)
J.A. Happ
Corey Hart
Aramis Ramirez (retired)
Sean Rodriguez
Joakim Soria

San Diego Padres
Josh Johnson
Shawn Kelley
Ian Kennedy
Brandon Morrow
Bud Norris
Justin Upton

San Francisco Giants
Jeremy Affeldt (retired)
Alejandro De Aza
Tim Hudson (retired)
Mike Leake
Tim Lincecum
Marco Scutaro
Ryan Vogelsong

Seattle Mariners
Joe Beimel
Franklin Gutierrez
Hisashi Iwakuma

St. Louis Cardinals
Matt Belisle
Randy Choate
Jason Heyward
John Lackey
Mark Reynolds
Carlos Villanueva

Tampa Bay Rays
Asdrubal Cabrera
John Jaso
Grady Sizemore

Texas Rangers
Yovani Gallardo
Colby Lewis
Mike Napoli
Ross Ohlendorf
Drew Stubbs
Will Venable

Toronto Blue Jays
Mark Buehrle
Marco Estrada
Jeff Francis
LaTroy Hawkins (retired)
Munenori Kawasaki
Mark Lowe
Dioner Navarro
Cliff Pennington
David Price

Washington Nationals
Ian Desmond
Doug Fister
Denard Span
Matt Thornton
Dan Uggla
Jordan Zimmermann

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

kiimo posted:

Matt Stairs was a thing.

Why is this on the bad list?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That wasn't a bad list, just a things that happened list.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

So you acknowledge that Matt Stairs owns and is good and is cooler than stone cold steve austin?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

As I'm sure we all know, the Royals had the longest playoff drought in American sports between 1985 and 2014. 28 years, it was. Like most if not all of you, this was pretty much my entire life....I was 3 years old in 1985. The wheels didn't really fall off the bus until 1994 or so though...and as it happens, that was about the time I started to actually pay attention to sports. So, save for my elementary school years and the last two seasons, Bad Royals are really all I've ever known. So, to honor this legacy, I've compiled a brief review of some highlights from this long, dusty era of nearly unparalleled ineptitude.

1994: the Royals decide they need speed so they trade for an aging one dimensional base stealer who had recently clubbed a teammate with a golf driver and then tossed lit fireworks at toddlers. On the plus side, Bob "the Hammer" Hamelin wins Rookie of the Year and looks like the future of the franchise both on and off the field:

1995: David Glass is just now getting his hands on the team and its payroll. Also, it turns out Bob Hamelin wasn't that good (has there ever been a worse OPS+ for a DH than his 53?) On the plus side, "Always Looks Confused" Michael Tucker:

1997: Apparently, you can’t win with bad players, so the Royals decide to go after some veteran hitters: Jay Bell, Dean Palmer, Chili Davis, and Jeff King come in, all play pretty well… and they lose 94 games anyway. Perhaps it was due to a rotation featuring Tim Belcher (5.02 ERA), Glendon Rusch (5.50 ERA), Jim Pittsley (5.46 ERA), and a guy actually named Ricky Bones (5.97 ERA).

1999: Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran, and Jermaine Dye were maybe the best outfield in baseball this year. Also, Mike Sweeney. How do you lose 97 games with those guys in the lineup? “Setup man” Scott Service (6.09 ERA) and “closer” Jeff Montgomery (6.84 ERA). I don’t know what the worst bullpen of all time is, but this one has to be a contender.

2001: Let’s trade Johnny Damon for Aging Closer Roberto Hernandez and give him $6m of a $32m payroll. Meanwhile, some of these highly drafted young arms will work out, right? (starters ERA over 5)

You might be saying to yourself at this point, the pitching…it is so bad. Did they not make drafting pitching a priority? Well…you’d be wrong! Between 1993 and 2001, the Royals used SIX top-10 picks on pitchers: Jeff Granger, Dan Reichert, Jeff Austin, Kyle Snyder, Mike Stodolka, and Colt Griffin. If you’ve never heard of any of them that’s ok: Kyle Snyder had the best career of them all (8-17, 5.57 ERA). I don’t know much about the MLB draft but if another team has done this poorly, well…they’re also probably really bad. At least they drafted Greinke in 2002!

2002: This, to me, was rock bottom. 100 losses, three managers, the return of Michael “Always Looks Confused” Tucker, and the trade of Good Player Jermaine Dye for the legendary Neifi Perez, he of the “Neifi Index”. If you’ve not heard of this, it measures how much you NOT playing makes your team better! I never saw a worse major league baseball man than 2002 Neifi Perez.

2003: I still have no idea what happened here.

2004: Maybe this season was actually rock bottom: 104 losses. “Negative WAR All Star” Ken Harvey. John Buck jersey giveaway (I still have it). Every starter except for Mike Sweeney had an OPS+ below 100. Team ERA of 5.15. Reward for this: #1 overall pick Luke Hochevar.

2005: Them of the 19 game losing streak. The Jose Lima Experience. I remember thinking “Mark Teahen isn’t that bad, I hope he stays in town for a while”.

2006: Dayton Moore hired! 100 more losses. Team was 10-35 on May 25. Turns out, Mark Teahen actually was our best player. And finally, Ambiorix Burgos: Major League Closer (16 HR allowed in 73 innings, later, attempted murder).

Ambiorix Burgos acusado de homicidio

2007: Alex Gordon is not new George Brett. Gil Meche seems alright though, hopefully his arm stays attached.

2008: Ross Gload. And drat, Gil Meche’s arm fell off.

2009: GREINKE

2010: Best Farm System Ever?. This was the first time I remember being excited about the team in…years. A lot of years. I figured maybe it would result in a winning season or two, maybe a playoff appearance. They did better, though.

Anyway, I'm curious what other Royals fans (or not Royals fans) remember most from the Dark Ages.

:allears:

I'm definitely going to the parade tomorrow. I'm thinking I might throw my bike on the car, drive part of the way there and then ride my bike in and take pictures. It's going to be a loving madhouse and I think that might be the best way to get around?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

quote:

Miami Marlins
Don Kelly
Jeff Mathis
Casey McGehee

Is this the most depressing list of pendong free agents ever made?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

Did you see the Yankees trio?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Harlock posted:

San Francisco Giants
Jeremy Affeldt (retired)
Alejandro De Aza
Tim Hudson (retired)
Mike Leake
Tim Lincecum
Marco Scutaro

Isn't Scutaro retiring too? Dude's pretty busted up.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

DOOP posted:

David Glass is a noted Scrooge

yay Royals fans

lol you weren't kidding I guess

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Houston Astros
Scott Kazmir - :byewhore:
Oliver Perez - :byewhore:
Colby Rasmus - Probably gone, probably not getting a QO which makes it worse :(
Tony Sipp - Please bring him back
Joe Thatcher - :byewhore:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Isn't Scutaro retiring too? Dude's pretty busted up.

Yeah, Torii Hunter is retiring from the Twins as well.

Angels list is pretty whatever, David Freese will be missed if he doesn't get re-signed, everyone else was either already a complete non-factor or can be replaced.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Chicago Cubs

Trevor Cahill: Ol' Lump-face was a pretty decent scrap-heap setup guy.
Chris Denorfia: Adios, thanks for the walkoff dinger at the end of the season.
Dexter Fowler: Please come back.
Dan Haren (retired): Fare thee well, slowmo.
Tommy Hunter: Oh yeah, I remember this guy who pitched like 15 innings. Celebrate this man for liberating us from Junior Lake.
Austin Jackson: Maybe come back?
Jason Motte: This man is now 80% beard.
Fernando Rodney: The crowning achievement of his Cubs career was coming in to the seventh inning, getting like one out and putting a guy on, and then shooting the arrow after he was replaced for a lefty.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

The St. Louis Cardinals have outrighted Pete Kozma off the 40 man roster. Will it stick this time? I'm hopeful enough to celebrate already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttX0bfMIsiY

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tadashi posted:

What makes it worse is that I believe the Marlins want Mathis back

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

LaTroy Hawkins is finally retiring? I'm going to miss him. He seemed like a classy guy.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mlb-mentors-latroy-hawkins-trevor-hoffman-john-axford-rockies/

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

LaTroy Hawkins was #TeamPapelbon and it shall forever taint his legacy

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DannoMack posted:

LaTroy Hawkins was #TeamPapelbon and it shall forever taint his legacy

Forgive him for this
https://twitter.com/LaTroyHawkins32/status/648527825499242497

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

gyroball posted:

The St. Louis Cardinals have outrighted Pete Kozma off the 40 man roster. Will it stick this time? I'm hopeful enough to celebrate already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttX0bfMIsiY

I'm not falling for this again, I had my hopes crushed before when he was DFA'ed and brought back last year

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i hope the cards get a legitimate backup middle infielder for 2016 but im not getting my hopes up

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
As a mets fan, i am just going to stick my head in an oven for the next two months.

naaah. We have a lot of rebuilding to do, but i think we have a solid core that can take us far again. We just need better bullpens.

and defensive players

and bats

and some more starting pitching

and a closer who doesnt choke in the big games...

oh god, nevermind, i am putting my head in the oven.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cimber posted:

As a mets fan, i am just going to stick my head in an oven for the next two months.

naaah. We have a lot of rebuilding to do, but i think we have a solid core that can take us far again. We just need better bullpens.

and defensive players

and bats

and some more starting pitching

and a closer who doesnt choke in the big games...

oh god, nevermind, i am putting my head in the oven.
You forgot ownership that still owes MLB money from loans, the last time I checked

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Harlock posted:

CBS Sports put together a pretty helpful list of pending FAs

Atlanta Braves
Ross Detwiler
Edwin Jackson
Peter Moylan
A.J. Pierzynski

That's one depressing list of players either dead or close to it.

Re Bad Royals years:

I used to go to a spring training game or two every year as part of a mini-family vacation. We'd vary up the locations and one year chose Baseball City. As one of the handful of sad individuals hanging around the dugouts looking for autographs (I got Gary Gaetti), I remember overhearing a guy who was looking to get all MLB-level Royals to autograph a baseball. For some reason, it sticks in my mind that Bob Hamelin was one of the more difficult ones to obtain.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know it's the offseason when you get excited a decent middle reliever didn't have his option picked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
I wish there were more FAs on the Red Sox

• Locked thread