Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

hadji murad posted:

I'm kinda disappointed by the jillion bad things surrounding the champs but I had a daughter in July and she's awesome so I kinda don't give a gently caress.

Are you...are you just happy to be here?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Machinegunboyo posted:

Word is that fabregas is a big player in the little revolt against mourinho. Wengy knew...

He's really turned into a massive piece of poo poo hasn't he?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TelekineticBear! posted:

Rooney is going to go down as a Manchester United legend no matter what tbh, it has always struck me as odd that hes got so much stick from certain sections of supporters when he has, for the most part, been consistently excellent for about a decade. Is it because of his moan about a new contract? it just seems strange that someone who has been so good for so long attracts such venom, when other similar players dont

He's always been a pretty streaky player and when he's bad he's real bad. Also the contract thing was ridiculous and he pulled that stunt a couple of times.

He'll be regarded fondly I'm sure but not in the Giggs, Scholes or even Cantona way.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

Yeah even cantona, who hardly anyone rates these days and frankly althougg this is the benefiy of hindsight talking was lucky to pull on the utd shirt at all

Your gimmick sucks but I'll reply seriously.

Cantona wasn't actually at United all that long and spent a lot of time being suspended for being a massive cock. I think he was a catalyst for United becoming a dominant team though and had the personality to achieve a pretty cult status on top of the following his ability gave him.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Rooney will end his career as the player with the most goals in the Premier League, Most goals for England and most goals for United yet people will still call him poo poo.

Rooney was/is a great player but he played in an extremely dominant team that, under Ferguson, always got the strikers plenty of goals. Andy Cole wasn't the most gifted player ever but he scored a poo poo ton at United because of the huge amount of opportunities the wingers provided.

Rooney has also benefitted from never been dropped by club and country regardless of form so can keep adding the odd goal to his total without playing well for months on end.

Any United fan that doesn't appreciate what Rooney has done for the club is an idiot but I totally understand why some wouldn't idolize him in the same manner as other United players (which have made similar or lesser impact)

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The Big Taff Man posted:

I'll get in here before Ninpo does

If thats what you think of Cantona then fair enough, but the reason he was such a cult hero was because he worked so hard in matches and loved the team. His goal tally was nothing phenomenal but he was also a massive creative influence, I think he until recently had the best games per assist ratio.

Probably the biggest influence he had on the team was being there as the Class of 92 came through. His discipline and hardwork in training reflected in them, along with his will to win. I dont think that bunch would have been the same without Cantona being there.

I dont think you can ever class him among the real greats because he did have a tendancy to not show up in the biggest games, but his signing was a turning point for United becoming the force they would in the Premier League.

I was there for this goal, and I'm not sure I'll ever see a better one in the flesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ccyEPUNjM

I remember as it went in and he held his arms round I looked at the linesman thinking he was protesting a flag for offside, but no, he was saying I am the best, and to United fans then he was.

Oh I actually totally agree with you. That's what I meant about being the catalyst. His confidence and arrogance rubbed off on the team in a huge way (Keane had a similar effect with his own personality) and gave a lot of belief to the young players coming through.

Rooney has neither the personality nor the outrageous flair that will make him an absolute legend regardless of how many goals he ends up scoring for United.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The Big Taff Man posted:

I think this is unfair to Rooney actually, hes been sacrificed a fair few times for the team because of other players (like Ronaldo, Berbatov and Tevez) because hes a much more flexible player. Even last season he was playing in midfield a bunch.

In Old Trafford the fans love him, it was notable that seconds after the goal went in they were chanting his name. If you want to pinpoint why many United fans have an issue with him its the fact that he held the club up for more money several times.

Given the huge turnover you've had recently there aren't many players that have been at the club very long so it's not surprising fans are loyal to him (despite it barely being reciprocated).

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

lets talk about villa. theyre a couple of wins from escaping the dropzone and will have some much needed new manager bounce. unfortunately they also have the following fixtures coming up

BPL 8 Nov 2015
v Man City (H)

BPL 21 Nov 2015
v Everton (A)

BPL 28 Nov 2015
v Watford (H)

BPL 5 Dec 2015
v Southampton (A)

BPL 13 Dec 2015
v Arsenal (H)

I think Villa are going down tbh. The only thing going for them is Sunderland, Norwich and an unlucky Bournemouth being just as terrible.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

if villa are going to go down its not the games against #thegoodteams that'll do it. They need to have a really good second half of the season and win against all the teams they should be expected to.

Expected to?

Honestly on paper Villa probably have one of the weakest squad in the division along with Norwich, Sunderland and a depleted Bournemouth. Unless Garde turns out to be amazing I think their only chance is that those three are just a little bit shitter.

Newcastle should be okay. Their squad has some really talented players in it and despite being managed by a plonker that should be enough to see them to safety.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

Incorrect. We have good players, we were just being managed by an even bigger plonker than McClaren.

You're mistaking poor results for poor quality. Sherwood didn't leverage the strengths of our players at all.

Eh maybe I'm being unfair as I don't watch Villa a whole lot. Who do you define as being good in the Villa team at the moment?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

The only Villa players that would get in Norwich's team are Richards and Okore (even though I've never been impressed with him I'm not sure he can be worse than Martin is atm). Maybe Lescott too depending on how old and knackered he is these days.

Lescott is real bad op.

Has Illori played for you? Everyone always raves about him at Liverpool but it's pretty clear no one has ever seen him actually play a game. I'm not even sure he exists to be honest.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ungratek posted:

Depleted Bournemouth side implies that were good enough at the start. They were likely going down from the start, their defending is awful

Maybe. But losing Mings and, especially, Wilson would have helped them beat the other poo poo teams- which is probably what it will come down to. I'd also back Howe to bring in smarter signings than Villa and Sunderland will given both of their recent records.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Clyne is definitely a defender first winger second. So was Steve Finnan and Arbeloa. We've quite often had a solid right back and a marauding left back when I think about it.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

enrique was alright then liverpool signed him and like most of their signings was either permanently injured or extremely bad

Enrique is a really odd player. He's insanely quick and strong on the ball and will always look to play it out from the back...but he's also incredibly one dimensional going forward and attacks broke down constantly because he'd take the wrong option.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

chuggo is BACK posted:

He's just thick op

He is.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

One involving Eva

Just saw Walters signed a new deal too.

I used to hate Walters because he kinda looks like a oval office but he's actually pretty cool op and I dislike Stoke a whole lot less these days. Especially when they're beating Chelsea.

Also Chelsea aren't getting relegated but anything less than fourth is a catastrophic failure and no manager will survive that.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brony Car posted:

Is he still cozy with Joorabchian? That might help a lot.

It was a weird match. Despite how bad Liverpool was, if Benteke had managed to convert any of the many chances he got, the end result would have looked a lot different.

The lack of balance in Liverpool's midfield is staggering. Lucas has no speed and Can has no consistency and the entire squad was getting muscled off the ball by the likes of Zaha. I really wonder if Henderson's return is going to do anything to improve the situation, but I suspect not.

It's also amazing at how little threat Liverpool pose on corners and set pieces. Pardew must still be laughing his rear end off from that spectacle. You have to wonder why no one on that side can take a decent corner. Even in the days of Peak Gerrard, Liverpool corner kicks have been pathetic.

It was pretty funny seeing the likes of Lucas and Coutinho bounce off of the likes of Zaha like they were hit by tanks. I really hope some German muscle-tech makes its way to Melwood soon.

Skrtel scored of a lot of corners in that almost season but other than that we've been poo poo since Hyypia was playing.

Can is 21 so I expect some inconsistencies and he's mostly been very good since Klopp took over. His work rate has been great too and given our lack of options in the middle he's had to play a lot. No concerns about him.

Lucas is a good player but he has lost all physicality to his game and relies entirely on his positioning and timing. His stats suggest he's been amazing but I still think we need a more mobile defensive midfielder. Still don't think he's a massive concern though.

Also I disagree about the Henderson being back thing. I think he'll make a huge difference once he's match fit. His pressing and work rate is the best in the side but unlike Milner he's actually quick and a bigger goal threat

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Emre Can is one of those guys who firmly believes he's amazing at every aspect of a football match but is really only good at like two or three things, which don't include dribbling, shooting, or ambitious passing. When all he has to do is run around all day pressing people he looks really good, but as soon as he actually gets the ball and starts trying to do stepovers and through balls and shooting from thirty yards he looks like garbage. So it's natural that he looks good in Klopp's new high pressing system, but he still isn't an asset offensively and I think Henderson could improve the side a lot once he comes back.

I have more faith in Can being a top class midfielder than anyone else currently at the club. He makes mistakes and chooses the wrong options sometimes but he's twenty one.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I mean I hate Costa but i can't see any contact there.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brony Car posted:

Sakho may have injured his ACL.

For gently caress sake this better not be true. Three ACL's in a couple of months?!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

I'm Finnish so we predictably massively bottled our qualifying campaign in pretty much the first game, but even if he hadn't, loving internationals man.

You're not finished mate, you're only 28

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

He'll never ride it because of the asymmetry of the spokes.

Lol

There is massive doping in football and it's been Tha way forever. Hell, I don't even care.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hardflip posted:

Amavi confirmed to be out for the rest of the season, ruptured ACL

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/665856886072336384

I actually hate being a Villa fan

gently caress man. How many ACL's this season? We have two :(

The one good thing for Villa is that there are a lot of bad teams that will be in a relegation battle. If they can buy a couple of useful additions in January and get into a bit of form then they might escape.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Is Aguero likely to be back this weekend? I really don't like the idea of Lovren having to deal with him.

I'd also far rather Sterling was up against Clyne than Moreno.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Alexis is supposedly about to sign a 5 year deal for 150k a week. Ozil too, apparently for 160k. Not sure why Ozil gets more, but :getin: regardless.

That's Januzaj territory!

Seriously though, given the wages Rooney (and some Chelsea and City players) that's seems pretty reasonable. Well as far as footballers go.

Milner is easily out most well paid player and he's been really disappointing. At least he works hard and is likeable though.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

newcastle desperately need a good central midfielder in january and not signing cabaye back when he was offered was so dumb

It's going to be a really fun relegation battle.

Out of all the teams likely to be fighting it out I actually back Bournemouth to be the team most likely to pull away from the rest. They play good football, have their best players injured, and have money to spend in January. Also Eddie Howe seems pretty competent.

Sunderland are gone imo. A squad filled with little talent and players that should have been moved on a long time ago. Allardyce is good in these situations but there is too much work that needs doing.

Villa are probably going down too. Similar to Sunderland in terms of squad quality but will probably spend even less in January.

Norwich or Newcastle will be 18th. The former is lacking quality at the back and the latter has a terrible manager.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

No chance Bournemouth stay up in BSE's opinion. Villa Bournemouth Sundy in that order. BSE has spoken (the SE stands for Steve Evans).

Will you guys splash the cash?

I like Norwich and would rather Newcastle go down but if the latter brings in a decent manager they should do better given their players

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 22, 2015

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Blasmeister posted:

I'm hoping that Leicester can still be riding high by January and attract some quality defenders. The current plan of 'just score more than we let in' is working, but we give away way too many sloppy penalties for that to work out in the longterm. Really though, the main hope is that we come out of the transfer window without having been picked clean by european clubs with big chequebooks

I think you'll actually be okay. Vardy is still seen as a Michael Ricketts type and I can see a lot of clubs being put off by the type of fee that Leicester would/should expect. Personally I think he's actually really good and should be given a proper opportunity with England.

Mahrez is the only player I can really see you struggling to keep. He's young and talented and I can see clubs stumping up the cash for him. The rest of the squad is solid without any superstars so it should be easy to hold on to him

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

tetsuo posted:

Cool but also pretend i'm someone still crying like a big dumb baby whenever people say 'EPL'.

Newcastle are bad. I don't like it. But it's not going to change. McLaren losing the dressing room will be good for some laughs though and he might be gone before christmas.That would be a good present. Maybe we'll get relegated.

Mike Ashley has a hilarious record choosing managers so I'm picking Harry Redknapp.

Wonder if Rodgers would go for it?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ravel posted:

lol I don't know what you're all crying about, Hamiltonian cycles are literally D1 AS maths I think. Thought people might be interested in knowing how to create one of those, and the circumstances in which such diagrams are possible if they wanted to Google more.

You're the DZSiBoT guy aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

8raz posted:

If you enjoyed Vardy breaking the record you also condone racism. Thats how it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8wRr8drbCM

I condone goalscoring but enjoy racism.

• Locked thread