Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I'm watching season 6 and am amazed at how good it is compared to the episodes today. Around what year/season should the Simpsons have been put down? Where would you say the Simpsons actually ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

After season 10 and that's final

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Season 9 begins to show the dip in quality but still has lots of great episodes. Everything after is varying degrees of trash

This is objective and does not merit further discussion

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
i'm very lenient, i'll say the movie

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Around 2002 when X Files was cancelled.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I remember when these threads were good. Ah, those were the days, 2012 talking about which simpsons season was the last good one. I think around 2013 was the golden era of these threads personally.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just keeps getting better imo. Some crappy seasons here and there but hey it's a better funny to poo poo episode ratio than South Park.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Homer takes a page from 50 Shades of Grey and decides that a sadomasochistic relationship with Marge is the way to go. Meanwhile, Milhouse uses Marlon Brando's ghost to get advice on how to impress Lisa.

Guest star: Wanda Sykes and George Takei

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Homer takes a page from 50 Shades of Grey and decides that a sadomasochistic relationship with Marge is the way to go. Meanwhile, Milhouse uses Marlon Brando's ghost to get advice on how to impress Lisa.

what I like about this is that it's completely plausible that this was an actual episode and that said R.I.P. Simpsons

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As a former horrible Simpsons messageboard nerd, it's generally accepted among Simpsons nerds that Season 9 (1997), when Mike Scully took over as showrunner and changed the tone of the show, was when it started to noticeably slip. Season 10 and the next few seasons saw further decline, then Al Jean took over as showrunner and has been riding the mediocrity train since 2001.

Though looking back on those Mike Scully episodes today, they weren't actually all that bad, but it was very jarring at the time.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 2, 2015

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
Season 10 I believe. Around the time of the NSYNC and Tomacco Episodes.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

From the very beginning OP, it's a loving cartoon

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
my favorite episodes have to be Saddlesore Galactica where homer gets a racehorse, the frank grimes one and the Principal Skinner/Armin Tamzarian masterpiece.

*braces*

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Lisa needs braces...dental plan.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
why do they always draw Marge's body all sexy? its weird

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Son of Rodney posted:

what I like about this is that it's completely plausible that this was an actual episode and that said R.I.P. Simpsons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Animated_Women_Want

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i.. no.. .what?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

:(

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Homer goes to the local sex shop where he purchases an array of different sex devices. When he shows Marge all that he has bought she is confused and unimpressed. Homer sits down on one of the machines by mistake and is injured by it. He is taken to the hospital and while he is being treated they reconcile.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

:wth:

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Hahaha, oh you, surely this is a brilliant parody of the plot summaries of late...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

every day we move further from god's light

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Salt Fish posted:

I remember when these threads were good. Ah, those were the days, 2012 talking about which simpsons season was the last good one. I think around 2013 was the golden era of these threads personally.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That Tony hawk episode

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I'm disappointed in any goon who's first instinct was not to immediately think of the episode where Homer killed Maude Flanders

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

for me it was Bart the Mother but even that episode had some good lines

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
When all the good writers went to futurama

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
it was the Armin Tamzarian episode

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
simpsons went to poo poo when a goon started watching the show and now we have a simpsons topic every week.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Volume posted:

That Tony hawk episode

That was the episode that broke me. It was the moment that the show stored being funny a long time ago and had resorted to celebrity cameos for ratings.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ElectricSheep posted:

I'm disappointed in any goon who's first instinct was not to immediately think of the episode where Homer killed Maude Flanders

Ummm it was a t-shirt cannon and it was pr. funny to have the most comically nice guys wife die

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ElectricSheep posted:

because it had already been bad for a few years by that point.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Son of Rodney posted:

Ummm it was a t-shirt cannon and it was pr. funny to have the most comically nice guys wife die

Even then, the one where Flanders lost his house to a hurricane and they tried to rebuild it was funnier.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Son of Rodney posted:

remember when family guy decided that they had too many characters and had a specific episode where they killed off three or four and sent one to jail

hilarious!!!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Infidel Castro posted:

Even then, the one where Flanders lost his house to a hurricane and they tried to rebuild it was funnier.
i didn't watch much of the simpsons, but i specifically remember hurricane neddy because it was actually really good despite the only real joke being "no more mr. nice guy"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

symbolic posted:

remember when family guy decided that they had too many characters and had a specific episode where they killed off three or four and sent one to jail

hilarious!!!

you just made me realize that family guy is now way funnier than the simpsons is, and that is just... just bad.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Son of Rodney posted:

you just made me realize that family guy is now way funnier than the simpsons is, and that is just... just bad.
that's not saying much at all

BowreeBookstore
Oct 29, 2015
Watching the Simpsons is like meeting an old freind who says hes alright but is clearly a herion addict. It went from bad to unwatchable in the one they go to florida and get put on a chain gang.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
2001. That's when.

Son of Rodney posted:

After season 10 and that's final

Thank you, I agree. Once they started trying to be like Family Guy and even more socially political w/ their plots. gently caress that. The magic died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
When Phil Hartman died.

• Locked thread