Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

BigRed0427 posted:

So what happened here? The Diva's Revolution is basically business as usual for the Diva's division?

it was an insufferable waste of talent that only got the callups less over

BigRed0427 posted:

Why did he win this?

terrible and useless

e:

achillesforever6 posted:

Steph introduced Sasha, Charolotte, and Becky and it immediately went to poo poo because Steph wanted to stroke her ego and act like NXT Paul. Problem was this was on Raw and also this whole thing was stupid and devolved into the usual "Women are catty bitches who hate each other" story telling

That was bad, but the worst part was them doing absolutely nothing but nothing useless 6 man tags for 2 months straight over "who started the divas revoution", culminating in the WINS LOSSES WHOOOO CARES promo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

BigRed0427 posted:

Also

I feel like TNA should be not eligible for this one. I might of said this last year but to say TNA is the worst is to say that we expect better out of it. WWE has the best roster it has had in years and yet I can't think of a time when it was more unwatchable, the the point where it appears the people behind the scenes actively hate their audience.

tna was bad this year in terms of hopping networks again and failing to pay talent

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Benne posted:

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR
3. Big Show vs. Erick Rowan stairs match 12/14/14 Cleveland 60

gently caress you

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol if you voted mike elgin for most improved

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

epitasis posted:

lol if you voted tetsuya naito for most improved

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
So does Dave send out a trophy to those who won the Worst Gimmick, Worst Match, and Most Disgusting Promotions Tactic awards?????

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Roddy was robbed

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

Best Flying Wrestler

1. RICOCHET (583) 3,708
2. Kota Ibushi (144) 1,327
3. Will Ospreay (109) 847
4. Matt Sydal (24) 737
5. Neville (37) 618
6. Fenix (16) 593
7. Angelico (40) 508
8. Flamita (18) 328
9. Kushida (8) 223
10. Aero Star (23) 218

HONORABLE MENTION: Mike Bailey 198, Dragon Lee 198, Kalisto 171, La Sombra 144, ACH 136, Seth Rollins 116, Finn Balor 97, Mascara Dorada 88

No love for Jack Evans? :(

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Hace posted:

Shocked that LU didn't win best show

While Lucha Underground has a lot of supporters, it seems like everyone watches NXT.

Plus NXT sure is great in being solidly reliable logically booked basic wrestling. It's not as experimental as Lucha underground, which can sometimes get away from basic pro wrestling principles- one of my biggest annoyances was it felt like everyone was always turning heel.

Fine awards, nothing too disagreeable. I feel bad for Stardust, but he's being so directionless and poorly booked I can't really strongly disagree.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Grozz Nuy posted:

Roddy was robbed

Dave's in the pocket of big puro

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

keevo posted:

So does Dave send out a trophy to those who won the Worst Gimmick, Worst Match, and Most Disgusting Promotions Tactic awards?????

No but at least New Japan is pretty old school and will supposedly give their wrestlers bonuses and maybe bigger pushes maybe. Same if they get 5 Star matches from the Observer.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How bad was wrestling in 2012 that TNA Impact won best TV show?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Benne posted:

No love for Jack Evans? :(

Jack Evans is very talented but his highest profile work this year was on 2015's Worst Major Show and while he has a lot of low-key great matches, low-key don t win awards

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

oatgan posted:

Jack Evans is very talented but his highest profile work this year was on 2015's Worst Major Show and while he has a lot of low-key great matches, low-key don t win awards

Well yeah, but not even making the honorable mentions surprised me

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Benne posted:

No Lucha Underground, no NXT, RAW sucked, Smackdown Sucked, nobody watched ROH.

So yeah, not great.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Dave's in the pocket of big puro

See also: Ibushi placing higher than Sydal when he's worse and was hurt for a large part of the year

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Benne posted:

It was live all summer and there were fresh matchups every week. Austin Aries was on fire.

Jerusalem was bitching about WWE in every thread at that point, so we convinced him to watch Impact. The week he started watching with us, the show started sucking again.

I blame Jerusalem. :colbert:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hace posted:

tna was bad this year in terms of hopping networks again and failing to pay talent

They also cut their Spike viewership in half when they jumped to DA, and cut it to half of that by the time they got to POP. 75% of their viewers gone between the end of 2014 and the end of 2015.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst promotion should have been LU because they lost the most money IMO.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Alain Post posted:

The worst promotion should have been LU because they lost the most money IMO.

Because unlike TNA, they actually pay people well and on time

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

gently caress you

that match was great

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
I did some stat collecting regarding the Observer Awards for an article I wrote for CCN up through 2014. The relevant part is here:

quote:

WWE Raw alone won the 2014 Wrestling Observer Newsletter award vote for “Worst Television Show,” a feat it had previously accomplished four additional times since 2001, when WCW folded. Within that same 15-year time frame, all of the Worst Feud of the Year winners, two thirds of the Worst Matches of the Year, roughly half of the Worst Gimmicks, 12 of the 15 Worst Announcer Awards (placing second the remaining 3 times), and every single Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic award aside from TNA signing Pacman Jones were given to WWE.

For 2015 they have once again won Worst Television Show, Worst Feud, Worst Gimmick, Worst Announcer, and Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic. Lucky for them about TripleMania being such a disaster to get Worst Match. But with the amount of bad so vastly outweighing the amount of good to be found in WWE programming (and most of the votes for the Best awards went to non-WWE recipients), and with so much WWE programming a week, why continue watching Raw with such fervent dedication? If you know the show will be that terrible, as it has been for the better part of these last fifteen years, what harm is there in just watching the replay and fast-forwarding past all the stuff you know is garbage? Is it for the enjoyment of reacting to it in real-time with lots of people? How long until even that entertainment value fails to outweigh the fact that you're spending the better part of 3 hours and 15 minutes a week on a product that is, per these awards, mostly incredibly un-enjoyable throughout?

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 21, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Daryl Surat posted:

But with the amount of bad so vastly outweighing the amount of good to be found in WWE programming, and with so much WWE programming a week, why continue watching Raw with such fervent dedication? If you know the show will be that terrible, as it has been for the better part of these last fifteen years, what harm is there in just watching the replay and fast-forwarding past all the stuff you know is garbage? Is it for the enjoyment of reacting to it in real-time with lots of people? How long until even that entertainment value fails to outweigh the fact that you're spending the better part of 3 hours and 15 minutes a week on a product that is, per these awards, mostly incredibly un-enjoyable throughout?

I haven't watched RAW or Smackdown in like a month, aside from one match to see how Mauro did as an announcer. I'll tune in for the Rumble because it's the Rumble, but the weekly product stopped even being enjoyable enough to make fun of for me. I just check in here or in recaps to see if anything amazing happened that I should bother to check out.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Daryl Surat posted:

I did some stat collecting regarding the Observer Awards for an article I wrote for CCN up through 2014. The relevant part is here:

For 2015 they have once again won Worst Television Show, Worst Feud, Worst Gimmick, Worst Announcer, and Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic. Lucky for them about TripleMania being such a disaster to get Worst Match. But with the amount of bad so vastly outweighing the amount of good to be found in WWE programming (and most of the votes for the Best awards went to non-WWE recipients), and with so much WWE programming a week, why continue watching Raw with such fervent dedication? If you know the show will be that terrible, as it has been for the better part of these last fifteen years, what harm is there in just watching the replay and fast-forwarding past all the stuff you know is garbage? Is it for the enjoyment of reacting to it in real-time with lots of people? How long until even that entertainment value fails to outweigh the fact that you're spending the better part of 3 hours and 15 minutes a week on a product that is, per these awards, mostly incredibly un-enjoyable throughout?

Hate-watching is a Thing, re: Republican debates.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC
1. WWE USING REID FLEIHR’S DEATH IN AN ANGLE 618
2. WWE Divas Revolution 26
3. TNA having James Storm push Mickie James onto the train tracks 24
4. WWE changing Ultimate Warrior’s words and meaning in giving Conor McGregor the Warrior Award 17
5. Lucha Underground and indie men vs. women matches 15
6. WWE having Michael Cole do a broken neck angle right after Perro Aguayo Jr. died from a broken neck 10
7. WWE getting rid of Hulk Hogan while Lionizing Ultimate Warrior who said things as bad or worse in public 9

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things doesn't belong.

Wow, Dave is Conorist.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

epitasis posted:

lol if you voted mike elgin for most improved

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
lol at 15 people standing strong for biotruths

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Great White Hope posted:

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC
1. WWE USING REID FLEIHR’S DEATH IN AN ANGLE 618
2. WWE Divas Revolution 26
3. TNA having James Storm push Mickie James onto the train tracks 24
4. WWE changing Ultimate Warrior’s words and meaning in giving Conor McGregor the Warrior Award 17
5. Lucha Underground and indie men vs. women matches 15
6. WWE having Michael Cole do a broken neck angle right after Perro Aguayo Jr. died from a broken neck 10
7. WWE getting rid of Hulk Hogan while Lionizing Ultimate Warrior who said things as bad or worse in public 9

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things doesn't belong.

Wow, Dave is Conorist.

I didn't read below that-- folks are really that pissed about inter gender matches? I thought LU handled that stuff kinda well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BigRed0427 posted:

Why did he win this?

Because his gimmick has taken him from a fairly over tag team to "probably the least valuable singles wrestler on the roster".

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Teddybear posted:

I didn't read below that-- folks are really that pissed about inter gender matches? I thought LU handled that stuff kinda well.

It's a topic that comes up every few months but one glaring thing about LU and intergender matches was the Pentagon vs Sexy Star feud which was pretty bad.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Why was the storm/james thing so terrible

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Benne posted:

FWIW TNA still was named Worst Promotion that year

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

James Storm literally pushed her in the way of an oncoming train, and she was on Twitter minutes later talking about upcoming concerts.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

As the angle he pushed her in front of a train to get her husband Magnus mad. It was also done very poorly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's no reason to vote it over the Reid Flair thing, but murder/attempted murder angles are frowned upon in general

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also TNA called attempted murder a "borderline criminal act." And then, in true TNA fashion, This Angle Was Never Followed Up On Or Mentioned Again.

It's shameful that James Storm still walks as a free man today.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Benne posted:

Also TNA called attempted murder a "borderline criminal act." And then, in true TNA fashion, This Angle Was Never Followed Up On Or Mentioned Again.

No, I think she was perfectly fine and they had an intergender tag match.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
WWE recently signing and not developing the WON Wrestler of the year and Commentator of the year is pretty funny.

WWE will have 7 of the 10 wrestlers of the year under contract in couple of weeks too.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Benne posted:

It's shameful that James Storm still walks as a free man today.

No, he's still in TNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

It's a topic that comes up every few months but one glaring thing about LU and intergender matches was the Pentagon vs Sexy Star feud which was pretty bad.

It was a poo poo feud, but that doesn't really put it on the "most disgusting promotional tactics" -- if anything, people were pissed that Sexy Star went over too much. Some people just hate the concept of intergender matches in general.

• Locked thread