Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mandy Thompson posted:

For me this video right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv9SJPa_dF8

Everything wrong with American justice in less than a minute. Justice and impartiality are lies. It's not unfair by mistake, It's unfair by design. It was always about control and never about justice. Innocent people get ducked in because people like this mother fucker want more people in to scare everyone into total capitulation.

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/02/452898470/supreme-court-takes-on-racial-discrimination-in-jury-selection

The link has a picture of the prosecutors notes where the highlighted all the black jurors with a "B".

This is from 1987

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

And yet nothing has changed since then to prevent the exact same thing from happening.

Yeah nothing about race relations has changed in America since 1987, the year it stopped being totally legal to dismiss jurors just for being black.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

It's still totally legal to dismiss jurors just for being black as long as you don't say that's why you're doing it, however; hence, the case.

The case is from 1987

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The case is from 1987 but the article refers to some kind of current deliberation, I'm not sure what exactly it's suggesting is happening though.

Unless it's only just reached the supreme court.

Yes, its only just reached the supreme court

-Troika- posted:

What would happen if it simply became impossible to strike jurors unless they had a direct conflict of interest with the case?

Jurors can lie about bias just as well as prosecutors can lie about racial discrimination, as the article mentions there's no real easy solution to this because defense attorney's are just as keen to retain the ability to do peremptory strikes as prosecutors are.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Oh yes I'm quite sure that if you cherry pick the worst of the south it's completely hosed to this day, there's no easy answer to the issue though, especially when there's still areas where human actors that make up the entire system just wholesale doesn't want to do what its supposed to do. Its not however:

Mandy Thompson posted:

Everything wrong with American justice in less than a minute. Justice and impartiality are lies. It's not unfair by mistake, It's unfair by design. It was always about control and never about justice. Innocent people get ducked in because people like this mother fucker want more people in to scare everyone into total capitulation.

One must also remember that there are many other racial disparities in this country that present legit reasons for removing a juror, such as criminal background. Without knowing more its kind of like throwing out your computer because the power has gone out, if you want to fix problems its kind of important to separate the source of the problem from the second order effects of the symptoms.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Helsing posted:

It's good to know that no matter what facts you're presented with your analysis stays the exact same: it's not a problem, and if it is a problem we can't do anything about it. I am sure you are debating this in good faith though.

I didn't say there wasn't a problem I said I think the selection process isn't the source of it.

The rest of my post was literally the same conclusion the npr article came to.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lid posted:

What is the source?

Of there being a disproportionate number of black jurors dismissed? The two biggest but non-exhaustive reasons I suspect off the top of my head are racism of individual actors and the disproportionate amount of black people involved in the criminal justice system. The second doesn't just mean people dismissed because they have criminal records, but also people who have friends and family who are involved in the system, and also that fact that (as the statistics bear out) black people on the jury are more likely to be skeptical of police testimony.

That last bit is kind of interesting because getting rid of someone from the jury who is less likely to find your witnesses credible is kind of the point, but for obvious reasons in this case is completely inappropriate. It does however create incentive for prosecutors who play loose with the rules to try to get rid of black jurors without having any sort of racist motivation behind it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

Racist motivation doesn't matter. It has a racist effect.

Uh yeah no poo poo

Jarmak posted:

for obvious reasons in this case is completely inappropriate

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

captainblastum posted:

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say Jarmak, can you clarify the point that you want to make about this?

That racially disparate outcomes in jury selection are second order effects from racial disparity in other aspects of the system/society. That the selection process itself is not broken as some posters have declared, and loving with it is going to cause more harm then good.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

They're not being asked whether they have friends and family in the system and then being dismissed based on that totally valid reason, though. So either prosecutors are just assuming it solely based on the color of their skin (which is racist, and leads to more uncomfortable questions like why they're content to rely entirely on statistics rather than just asking, and don't seem concerned about white jurors possibly having someone in the system), or you're wrong.

Or you don't know how a challenge for cause works, because that alone would not get someone dismissed, and its very likely the prosecutor did ask them that as those are the types of questions attorneys base their use of peremptory challenges on.

eSports Chaebol posted:

It is a second order effect which reinforces first order effects. That's a really, really big problem. It's cyclical, like redlining: surely most realtors do it because they care about keeping house prices up rather than because they are racist, but the very fact that segregation keeps house prices up is enabled in part by redlining.

Except redlining isn't playing a an irreplaceable role in the justice system that both sides of the courtroom agrees needs to be there. Also by claiming this a cyclical effect you're making an awful big assumption that being less likely to convict means more likely to have the correct verdict.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

This isn't about challenge for cause, though. It's about peremptory strikes. Prosecutors use their peremptory strikes on black jurors, and when challenged to provide a nonracial reason for the strike, they say the juror "looked bored" or "didn't make eye contact", not "they had a relative in prison". Did you actually read the OP?

Apparently you didn't because that part was talking specifically about the 1987 case

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

One court case is still more informative than your unsupported speculation, unless you think the 1987 case was some crazy outlier. If prosecutors were striking black jurors for the reason you propose, they'd give that reason when faced with a Batson challenge. But they don't.

And you know this based on the fact a single prosecutor in a single court case that happened almost 30 years ago in the deep south didn't?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Except we were talking about the part of the article that talks about the reasons the prosecutor gives, what does the section you quoted have to do with that at all? Have you read the thread? Cause you don't seem to even understand what Painframe and I are arguing about.

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem with #2 is that prosecutors are allowed to ask jury members questions, and if they face a Barton challenge then they have to tell the judge the non-racist reason that they struck the juror, even if it was a peremptory strike. If they think the juror is poorly educated or has a criminal record, which they have the ability to find out without resorting to blind profiling, they'd just give that reason. That's what makes it so egregious - if they really had a non-racist reason to strike the jurors, they'd just give that reason. The fact that they often give vague reasons, or don't strike white jurors for the same reason they gave for striking black jurors, suggests racism.

Another reason #2 doesn't hold up is that racial profiling to filter for things like education level or criminal record is unnecessary because they can directly ask about those things. They don't need to guess at education level based on skin color, they can ask a juror what their education level is. That's how they manage to filter out highly educated jurors without spending all their strikes purging the jury of white people because they're statistically more likely to be well educated.

You've still yet to establish this fact pattern whatsoever. What's your alternative? You think prosecutors are intentionally hurting their cases by wasting their challenges on the personal satisfaction of keeping the black man down?

Useful Distraction posted:

If the process allows for racial disparity to manifest, it is broken, regardless of where that disparity stems from.

This is an absolutely ridiculous, contemptible statement. Yes let's gently caress with a core constitutional right without understanding the problem in depth, I'm angry, lazy, and critical thinking is too hard.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

tentative8e8op posted:

"Blacks from low income areas are less likely to convict, and as a result you don't want those people on your jury."

I'm sorry, but I believe that prosecutors who assure themselves they're being realistic by focusing racially, that they're just professionals trying to win their case, are still absolutely racist. Just because they don't gain any personal satisfaction from acting so doesn't make their actions right.

Well yes, that's the position I'm arguing? The only difference between what you're saying and what I'm saying is that I'm going into the why black jurors from low income areas are less likely to convict.

Main Paineframe is trying to rebut this for some reason.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Helsing posted:

No, I understand perfectly well that you're trying to argue that blacks are struck from Juries at disproportionately high rates because they are also more likely to fall into the other kinds of categories that prosecutor's like to eliminate.

The problem is that you're providing no evidence while seriously misrepresenting what the article posted in the op actually says. For instance you claim that the article only deals with a case from the 1980s when in fact the article mentions various other studies that find a continued and systematic bias. You also claim that there's universal support for the current system of striking jurors amongst both defense attornies and prosecutors - a claim that is, again, contradicted by the article posted in the op, where we find attorneys and judges criticizing the system and its outcomes. You also keep trying to downplay the presence of racism in the system by pretending that racism only happens in the deep south or that race relations in the late 80s have absolutely no bearing on contemporary race relations. These arguments are not convincing and you don't provide any evidence for them at all.

Quite the opposite I think prosecutors are aware that black jurors are less likely to give convictions than white jurors and therefor find spurious reasons to remove black jurors. The reason is not merely because blacks have higher rates of criminality but also because they are much more familiar with the systemic injustices of the contemporary American legal system. The fact they are excluded at higher rates totally demolishes the foundational justifications for jury selection and makes a mockery of what are supposed to be the systems most basic principles of fairness and democracy.

In that video from the op, for instance, the prosecutor explicitly advises that you should select for the dumbest jurors possible. There's absolutely zero reason to think that this piece of advice is out dated: in fact there's a great deal of circumstantial evidence to suggest that this is an entirely logical approach for prosecutors to take. So if you really want to defend a system where legal authorities intentionally look for the dumbest (and, one has to think, probably the most racist) jurors possible so as to maintain high conviction rates then go ahead, but maybe put a bit more effort into your arguments than just repeatedly saying "no no your wrong".

Anyway your claims about why black jurors get selected, as well as your claims that any problems are confided to the 20th century deep south, seem pretty implausible in light of articles such as the following:

Jesus Christ I'm not misrepresenting anything, I was responding specifically to Painframe's allegation that prosecutors never use any excuses other then bullshit like "he looked nervous" , of which he was concluding solely from that single case.

The rest of your post is split between restating my own argument with a slightly different nuance, coming up with additional reasons that would clearly be covered by my statement that I wasn't providing an exhaustive list, and somehow being unable to read the original article that clearly states there is universal support for the peremptory strike system so its unlikely to change.

Oh and a really loving bizarre flip out rant about the adversarial system. No, prosecutors trying to win is exactly how the system is supposed to function.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

You obviously know this isn't how racism works, so what's the point of even saying it. Someone doesn't have to be cackling and twirling a mustache about successfully keeping the black man down another day to be a racist or to discriminate or to let racial prejudice affect how they do their job, you know that right?

Yes I do, which is why I'm saying it, because it being a deeper systemic issue is what I keep saying and I was trying to mock the person who keeps trying to rebut that.

But this thread has turned into people trying very very hard to twist what I'm saying into "there's not racism" so they have a villain to yell at instead of engaging what I'm actually saying, which is that this is a symptom of a deeper systemic racial disparity.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Helsing posted:

The first five or six posts you made in this thread were dismissive statements like "this case is from 1987", along with implications that the problem was geographically confined to the South, etc. There's no need to re-litigate those arguments but you should be able to understand why people think you're downplaying the issue.

Practically speaking, if you think the current system for striking jurors is simply irreplaceable, then what practical alternatives are there to deal with the disproportionate and racially motivated exclusion of black jurors?

I was being dismissive of the over the top hyperbole of the OP and the people who thought the really horrible examples of this like the training video and the jurors marked with "B"s were contemporary events.

Main Paineframe posted:

A prosecutor assuming that a juror will be less likely to convict based solely on the color of their skin is almost as racist as a police officer assuming that a hoodie-wearing youth is more likely to be aggressive or criminal based on the color of their skin, and imposing adverse consequences based solely on those racial assumptions without attempting to individually confirm or investigate them is absolutely objectionable. Judging people based exclusively on racial profiling is still racist even if it might statistically be effective.

It might be true that black jurors tend to be more likely, statistically, to fall into groups that prosecutors are unlikely to want in a jury. But if a prosecutor goes ahead and strikes black people based entirely on that statistical likelihood, when there was in fact an option to determine it individually, then it's absolutely racist.

This is how jury selection is done for everyone though, much of it is gut decisions based on intuition and demographics, by both the defense and the prosecutor, there simply isn't a lot of information to make the decisions on and extremely biased people will absolutely either lie or honestly believe they're not biased during questioning. The process isn't so much about finding the most "capable" pool so much as its about trying to make sure a "bad" juror doesn't get through who will poison the entire process. We're arguing past each other right now because I'm talking about racist in motivation and intent, and you're talking about racist in effect. This is part of the reason there's no good way to fix this issue without causing more harm then good, its far too nebulous.

Main Paineframe posted:

Courts deal with motivation all the time, it's a critical factor in determining many crimes. For example, one critical aspect of any drug case is what you intended to do with them, as it determines whether you're getting charged with possession or possession with intent to distribute.

You're conflating motivation with intent

tezcat posted:

Long story short Jarmak thinks loving with the laws about this is bad for "his side" because he wants to be able to to say "i didn't hire this guy because statistically hes too black" and not get in trouble for it. I'm sure he'd scream bloody blue murder if he was barred from a job because statistically white men are more likely to be pedophiles or rapist than people of color and I ask him "do you like kids or women?" If he says yes (opps he likes them to much, get rid of him), no (he's a kid & woman hater who wants to harm them, get rid of him).

The real answer is that barring Jarmak from the job over that extra criteria that I don't apply to other races would be a lovely thing to do. But Jarmak would think that I should find out why white people are rape kiddy fiddlers before I stop applying my obtuse extra metric for white people.

What the gently caress does this have to do with employment?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

archangelwar posted:

Jarmak is right that it is a symptom, not the disease. He is wrong that you can not/should not take steps to mitigate symptoms while also looking to address the underlying disease.

What steps do you think can/should be taken?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I already said I didn't think one exists

edit: unless you're asking me how I plan on fixing the holistic social and economic racial disparity in the US, which is way outside the scope of this thread.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I've been arguing since the very beginning that this was a second order effect and trying to implement a solution at this level would do more harm then good because of a lack of acceptable solutions. "Bad Faith" does not mean "Argument I don't like/know how to respond to"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

esquilax posted:

Overturn a conviction when evidence comes to light that the prosecutors culled the jury pool based on racially discriminatory intent

Already in place

archangelwar posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^
&

Alternative jury selection methodologies, some of which have already been presented
Recording / making public attorney/firm based jury decisions
Stronger scrutiny over stated jury elimination reasoning

Selection via questionnaire is basically blind, and I don't think you'd find anyone on either side of the system that thinks that's better. Ditto with defense attorney's who think trashing their attorney/client privileged is worth getting a couple of extra black people on the jury.

Stronger scrutiny how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Actually, the question of whether anyone is willing to act against racism is pretty loving important. No rule can survive if no one is willing to enforce it. Which is exactly the problem with Batson challenges now!

Elected judges. The public is terrible at providing oversight of the judicial branch, and ideally the judicial branch should not be accountable to the general public. Otherwise they might start letting popular demand influence their verdicts, instead of enforcing the law no matter how much h outrage the media gins up.

I'd add elected DAs to that as well

• Locked thread