Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

D C posted:

Maybe dont use your phones keyboard while driving the car that the phone is mounted to?

I dont, but sometimes my passenger does for GPS, or if I pull over to do it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Laserface posted:

I dont, but sometimes my passenger does for GPS, or if I pull over to do it myself.

Then its 1000x easier to pull the phone off the mount and type, then put it back no?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Laserface posted:

Don't buy visually obvious inferior products? Just spitballing

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
It's actually 1000x easier just to have a cradle that grips your phone without getting in the way. The one I use expands to let you put your phone in then pulls tight around it to hold it in without mammoth brackets sticking out, I don't know why so many of them have so much extra clearance, it really is bad design.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

D C posted:

Then its 1000x easier to pull the phone off the mount and type, then put it back no?

Can you think of a reason why we need the side grips to be so tall when even phones from 8 years ago were thinner than 10mm?

Darth123123 posted:

Don't buy visually obvious inferior products? Just spitballing

find a universal phone mount that doesnt require a special case or a magnet stuck to the back of your phone that doesnt have these stupid grips on the side?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 22, 2016

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Darth123123 posted:

When my light switch is in the off position, I get confused.
Sorry you don't understand English.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

steinrokkan posted:

that seems very dubious, never trust wikipedia without researching the stuff independently

Yeah I refuse to acknowledge the apple hegemony and call them zunecasts.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Podcast as a word showed up around the time MP3 players took off, which you know, that was basically the ipod leading that, and was always the dominant presence in the market. My first mp3 player was a creative NOMAD 2 with a 32mb flash memory card, and it had a better interface than just about every ipod for several generations but Creative never really mattered and you don't see them being called Nomadicasts or whatever creative's flagship thing was in the ipod era.

I bought a Zune on purpose, I'm not happy with the way history went but yeah podcast and ipod are probably connected. My memory of the word was newscasters trying to understand and communicate the complex, incomprehensible technology of people talking and recording, distributing them digitally. Itunes was the major platform for that, for a long time, one of the only worthwhile legal ones.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hemophilia posted:

I bought a Zune on purpose, I'm not happy with the way history went but yeah podcast and ipod are probably connected.

lmfao

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

plz don't laugh at me

naem
May 29, 2011

It has been fun seeing multiple industries just not comprehend that everyone now has all the tools and platforms in their pocket 24/7 to replicate everything they thought they had a hegemony over

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hemophilia posted:

I bought a Zune on purpose

Me too. drat that was a bad idea.

But a worse idea was how it was designed to handled file deletion. The Zune linked to the music on your hard drive and you dragged and dropped it in the horribly designed software it used. But not too many files in one go or it would just forget to upload some. I just wanted something I could plug in and use like a removable hard drive, dammit :(

When you deleted a file on your Zune, however, it would also delete it from your computer's hard drive. Permanently delete it. So if you wanted to make some space or were just bored of a song and decided to remove it, congratulation you now lost your hard drive copy as well.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Me too. drat that was a bad idea.

But a worse idea was how it was designed to handled file deletion. The Zune linked to the music on your hard drive and you dragged and dropped it in the horribly designed software it used. But not too many files in one go or it would just forget to upload some. I just wanted something I could plug in and use like a removable hard drive, dammit :(

When you deleted a file on your Zune, however, it would also delete it from your computer's hard drive. Permanently delete it. So if you wanted to make some space or were just bored of a song and decided to remove it, congratulation you now lost your hard drive copy as well.

I never had a problem like this. I thought the sync software was some garbage, but I always managed deletion from the software, and I'll be honest I was a jobless 17 year old I wasn't paying for a loving thing, so there was no sense of loss to simply re-download if something bad happened. I have no memories of poo poo like what you're talking about happening.

What I remember is the ring around the interface button coming off, the button losing sensitivity over time, and eventually the software/flash memory corrupting.

it was the 8gb model I think, green. It lasted me a long rear end time. I put it away when I begrudgingly got myself an ipod touch because android wasn't quite there yet but I definnitely was not paying for smart phone service in 2008/9. I had a dumb phone and an itouch until like 2011 i think.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

boom boom boom posted:

it doesn't say poo poo. just arrows

Well I don't know what to tell you, because mine does.

naem
May 29, 2011

2008-12 I was a broke student and emerged like a time traveler and there was all this strange new technology

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Squalitude posted:

Like with one of the Android screens on my phone, there's big buttons to turn on/off Wi-fi and Airplane mode next to each other. Which is fine, but if you want to change the Wi-fi setting, like, to choose a new Wi-fi network, there's a tiny additional ... button between the two big buttons which you need to click accurately. I don't have fat fingers at all, but it's probably about a 50-50 chance of hitting the ... or just switching to Airplane mode. An almost anatomical level of trolling from the developers there.
worse, at least on Samsung (i had a Z3 that actually did this correctly), holding the power button brings up a little menu with some options that include "toggle airplane mode", "restart", and "turn off".

only the airplane mode toggle has an "are you sure?" dialog.

like dang i can turn airplane mode back off in a few seconds if i want to but if i accidentally hit restart or turn off it's

okay i'm back

(preemptive "you can turn wifi on while in airplane mode")

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They've actually fixed that. On my S6 all the options have an "are you sure" dialog, not just the airplane mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

criscodisco posted:

They've actually fixed that. On my S6 all the options have an "are you sure" dialog, not just the airplane mode.
that doesn't change anything about my S5 so it doesn't count

• Locked thread