Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

the cool thing about philips or flathead (esp flathead) is that you don't need the exact loving size screwdriver to use it on things.

meanwhile I have an entire box full of various allen wrenches
you should get one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
salt water fish are expensive

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
human beings

why the gently caress were we so reliant on rivers? why didn't we evolve the ability to process salt water and just expunge the excess salt? in hundreds of thousands of generation, how did this trait not find its way in primates giving a huge advantage over bitch-made homo sapiens who can't handle a little salt in their water?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Germstore posted:

I've only seen the wall type urinal in sports stadiums and other places where throughput is the most important factor.

theyre also harder to destroy so they go in public restrooms and cheap pubs etc

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

nomadologique posted:

That may be true but it's not really relevant. If you want to start a thread grousing about fish prices, knock yourself out. It won't be as good as mine, though, mark my word.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Shadow posted:

Contribution: OS X:

• ALT+TAB (CMD+TAB) concept is flawed. It groups all apps into one so you can't easily have windows of different apps visible on your screen if you're working on something. For example, if I have 3 Word docs, 2 Excel spreadsheets, 1 PDF, and an email, and I was working in one of the word docs, i could arrange the windows such that I could see it all while I was clonking away. NOT ON A MAC. If you're looking at 1 word doc, you're looking at them all. 1 of the spreadsheets? Nope. They don't treat each window like an independent entity like they do in Windows so multi-tasking is a pain in the rear end

I got a macbook for college last year and this single problem makes writing essays a nightmare (a little less so with El Cap). You'd figure power users on the OS X side would have eventually bugged Apple to make this a thing now, but...no? I think the most mind boggling thing about El Cap is that they were trying to address multi-tasking, but seemingly intentionally avoided the straightforward and painfree way of emulating windows alt-tab.
I'm not sure what the thought process here was. They were obviously looking to keep privacy in mind by obfuscating the view. But they wanted to keep some sort of fancy aesthetic too? But in the end they really got neither?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Avocados posted:

I got a macbook for college last year and this single problem makes writing essays a nightmare (a little less so with El Cap). You'd figure power users on the OS X side would have eventually bugged Apple to make this a thing now, but...no? I think the most mind boggling thing about El Cap is that they were trying to address multi-tasking, but seemingly intentionally avoided the straightforward and painfree way of emulating windows alt-tab.
and their way of addressing it is loving retarded. you can click and have an app go one one side then pick another app for the other side. not all apps "support this feature"

feature?

it's loving resizing. WINDOWBUTTON+LEFT or RIGHT does nothing on windows other than resize that particular window to full-length tall and half-length wide. On Mac it implements it as some kind of "feature" that's useless as gently caress.

macs are not for working. that's the bottom line. people say it's good for music or graphics and maybe it is, but i fail to see how it's any better if you have the same application on your windows machine.

i guess the eggshell off white matted finish makes you better at adding lensflare :idgi: e: that's not a smiley? really? :iiam:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

macs havent been better for design since photoshop was released for windows and anyone that says otherwise is a retard

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lol if you don't three finger swipe up or down to alt tab

Or set a hot corner for lock

Or were unable to find the closing lid settings that are actually available. It's in power settings. Sheesh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rutibex posted:

i never understood why there are gendered single occupant restrooms.

b/c dudes gotta keep those women from wrecking up the place and generally taking forever in there

lady bathrooms are gross as all hell and there is always a line for a reason

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

that would never keep me from jackin it in there

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shadow posted:

These 'bad designs' could probably be solved with options in the Settings but Apple doesn't believe in customizing a workspace to maximize your efficiency. They care about uniforimity so they can claim their software is superior due to lack of bugs.

Man that's the tip of the fuckin' iceberg. You can actually change them if you edit some kext files, but ever since 10.8, if you change the hotkeys that they've decided are important to the system, it automatically reverts them after sixty seconds. Just to spite you I guess.

Seriously guys 10.6 was just esc to clear selections in the finder. That was nice, it was quick and clean. And then you changed it to, what is it now, cmd+opt+esc? Why? Or my other favorite, "media mode" or whatever the hell they called it. Let's make a fixed-binding hotkey in the F-row that you can't remove make your workspace disappear entirely and freeze your computer for ten seconds while it loads up a huge screen solely dedicated to running iTunes.

Avocados posted:

Wait, they cut out cmd+tab too? Are you for real?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 5, 2015

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
Samsung's android UI has been loving atrocious in my experience. It's sluggish, illogically laid out, and it's a colossal pain in the rear end just to get to specific file directories (I had to install a 3rd party file browser to be able to create and manage discrete folders). It's like they tried to streamline things in the shittiest possible way, so that the only way to consistently find your poo poo is to try to imagine the specific ways the designers have tried to idiot proof it and where that might have led them to hide what you're looking for. Trying to apply knowledge of logical computer layout and architecture gets you loving nowhere unless you root the drat thing and use 3rd party UI from the ground up. For god's sake, there isn't even an option to "save as;" everything has to be saved in a single download folder and then moved manually.

Also, Google Play on android is one of the buggiest pieces of poo poo I've ever used. It takes tens of seconds for lists to populate, inconsistently displays albums on artist pages, and has frequent connection problems which require a hard reset of the entire tablet.

Honestly, mobile software in general just seems like loving garbage. Is it especially difficult to develop, or are they just releasing broken poo poo for a quick paycheck, given the proliferation of smart phones?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is this a new trend? I've never seen those "cross traffic does not stop" signs before. At a four way stop or really at any stop sign I always thought you look around and assume the cross traffic will not yield before doing anything.

Edit: I'm assuming someone died at that intersection so they added a new sign.

That is how stop signs are supposed to work. The point of a stop sign is usually so that only the less busy side has to stop, and only 4 ways being labeled. Around 15 years ago, they seemed to start adding "Cross traffic does not stop" to some of them, and I caught myself almost crossing into traffic several times because I was used to only 4-way crosses being labeled since that is the logical way that stop signs work.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

therattle posted:

If it wasn't so antisocial it'd be genius. Too good for this thread.

thanks! :slick:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Human Crouton posted:

That is how stop signs are supposed to work. The point of a stop sign is usually so that only the less busy side has to stop, and only 4 ways being labeled. Around 15 years ago, they seemed to start adding "Cross traffic does not stop" to some of them, and I caught myself almost crossing into traffic several times because I was used to only 4-way crosses being labeled since that is the logical way that stop signs work.

The problem is that most places are really, really bad about labeling 4-way stops and people are too lazy to locate and identify all 4 stop signs, so they'll see "I have a stop, opposite traffic has a stop, traffic to my left has a stop" and assume that the 4th direction will stop too.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Wampa Stompa posted:

Honestly, mobile software in general just seems like loving garbage. Is it especially difficult to develop, or are they just releasing broken poo poo for a quick paycheck, given the proliferation of smart phones?

answered your own question

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The White Dragon posted:

Man that's the tip of the fuckin' iceberg. You can actually change them if you edit some kext files, but ever since 10.8, if you change the hotkeys that they've decided are important to the system, it automatically reverts them after sixty seconds. Just to spite you I guess.

Seriously guys 10.6 was just esc to clear selections in the finder. That was nice, it was quick and clean. And then you changed it to, what is it now, cmd+opt+esc? Why? Or my other favorite, "media mode" or whatever the hell they called it. Let's make a fixed-binding hotkey in the F-row that you can't remove make your workspace disappear entirely and freeze your computer for ten seconds while it loads up a huge screen solely dedicated to running iTunes.

Wait, they cut out cmd+tab too? Are you for real?

Cmd tab is still there like always, but for me it's no where near as useful as the Windows equivalent. I just do the three finger swipe up since it shows all windows and doesn't clump.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
The qwerty layout

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

The qwerty layout

azerty supremacy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gabriel Pope posted:

The problem is that most places are really, really bad about labeling 4-way stops and people are too lazy to locate and identify all 4 stop signs, so they'll see "I have a stop, opposite traffic has a stop, traffic to my left has a stop" and assume that the 4th direction will stop too.

Really, 4-way stops in general are a bad design that makes me furious. It's by far the worst way to manage an intersection that I ever came across.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

mobby_6kl posted:

Really, 4-way stops in general are a bad design that makes me furious. It's by far the worst way to manage an intersection that I ever came across.

Seems like everyone i know has a crippling fear of roundabouts for some goddamn reason.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Shadow posted:

and their way of addressing it is loving retarded. you can click and have an app go one one side then pick another app for the other side. not all apps "support this feature"

feature?

it's loving resizing. WINDOWBUTTON+LEFT or RIGHT does nothing on windows other than resize that particular window to full-length tall and half-length wide. On Mac it implements it as some kind of "feature" that's useless as gently caress.

macs are not for working. that's the bottom line. people say it's good for music or graphics and maybe it is, but i fail to see how it's any better if you have the same application on your windows machine.

i guess the eggshell off white matted finish makes you better at adding lensflare :idgi: e: that's not a smiley? really? :iiam:

The thing I love about Macs, personally, is that they use the glossiest screens humanly possible, making it both a headache and impossible to use in any sort of lighting:

Hmm yes it's a good thing they stopped producing the screens on the right. It doesn't look "sexy" enough!!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Eh 4 way stops make sense for low volume intersections. 2 way stops always seem particularly dumb, they could just be replaced by yield signs in pretty much every case

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

criscodisco posted:

Seems like everyone i know has a crippling fear of roundabouts for some goddamn reason.

It's just unfamiliarity. So it's a bit of chicken and egg problem.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Melmac posted:

The thing I love about Macs, personally, is that they use the glossiest screens humanly possible, making it both a headache and impossible to use in any sort of lighting:

Hmm yes it's a good thing they stopped producing the screens on the right. It doesn't look "sexy" enough!!

and then PC manufacturers follower suite :ughh:

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

There was a 4-way with a 2-way stop by my old house in Florida which happened to be on 110th st.

The stop sign had the little sign and it said
"110 Street Traffic Does Not Stop"

We connected the 1's in 110 to make it an 'N' so then it said
"NO Street Traffic Does Not Stop"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

nomadologique posted:

I got this.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Melmac posted:

Actually it's because glossy screens are a cheap way to make contrast and colors pop without spending mad dollars on the panel itself. It looks 'good' and it's cheap to mfg so... Yeah. :shittydog:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Lol if you don't three finger swipe up or down to alt tab
you didn't seem to understand my point so I'll try again.

the alt(cmd)+tab between windows is not an issue, but alt tab on mac functionality is between apps only, not individual windows and the cmd+` option only cycles through windows WITHIN an app. if you're trying to compose an email with information that's in a PDF, spreadsheet and word doc, good luck doing so easily. if mac treated each window itself like its own thing, this problem would not be one.

quote:

Or set a hot corner for lock

sleep is not lock & screen saver doesn't seem to have a setting to require pw...

quote:

Or were unable to find the closing lid settings that are actually available. It's in power settings. Sheesh

where?

Melmac posted:

ugh... preach on brother... recessed lighting is nice but with a macbook air it can blind you

Shadow fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 5, 2015

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
As far as bathroom design goes, I have pissed in men's rooms, women's rooms, and "non-gendered" restrooms.

They all loving suck and are terrible and sometimes there's blood, there's not much a difference between what gender is labeled on the door when it comes to the filth inside.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

shelley posted:

As far as bathroom design goes, I have pissed in men's rooms, women's rooms, and "non-gendered" restrooms.

They all loving suck and are terrible and sometimes there's blood, there's not much a difference between what gender is labeled on the door when it comes to the filth inside.

Women's bathrooms have couches.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I dread every iTunes update because it never seems to get easier to use

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

The Human Crouton posted:

Women's bathrooms have couches.

Couches that women wearing squishy maxi pads sit on, no thanks.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
Looking at that mac stuff reminded me of when I first downloaded iTunes to put poo poo on my phone.

Well let's see if I can even add stuff to the library... "Music", "Movies", "TV Shows" no... maybe this?

No dice.

Oh wait

Oh yeah of course, because those 20 extra pixels of screen real estate when you first open the program were so much more important than actually being able to use it.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Fartmaster posted:

Looking at that mac stuff reminded me of when I first downloaded iTunes to put poo poo on my phone.

Well let's see if I can even add stuff to the library... "Music", "Movies", "TV Shows" no... maybe this?

No dice.

Oh wait

Oh yeah of course, because those 20 extra pixels of screen real estate when you first open the program were so much more important than actually being able to use it.

Honestly, getting away from itunes was a deciding factor in moving from my iphone to my android phone. The idea of just dropping files into the appropriate folder makes so much more sense. Maybe I'm just old.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
itunes is and has always been a piece of poo poo

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

criscodisco posted:

Honestly, getting away from itunes was a deciding factor in moving from my iphone to my android phone. The idea of just dropping files into the appropriate folder makes so much more sense. Maybe I'm just old.

I haven't used iTunes with my iPhone in almost 6 years.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No, I think that iTunes is just getting shittier

Looking back to my Shuffle and how easy it was to just select and drop songs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
probably because they want you to buy songs through their lovely appstore (lol does anyone even buy songs there anymore?) and make it insanely hard+obtuse to add it otherwise.

• Locked thread